No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Daniel Craig in New York, 10.07. Hmmm, sounds interesting.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Good, we have the title of the next Bond film, which will start shooting in Jan'17 for a summer 2018 release.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 4,400
    Right, time to think about this pragmatically:

Lets consider the timelines here. Firstly, if Bond 25 is to come out in November 2018, they would need to start production around this time next year. That means they would probably want to get Craig secured now. Additionally, they'd probably want a director by around January 2017.

On the other hand, if Craig has decided to leave, I imagine they would hit the pause button for a year and the film would arrive in 2019. (However, if there is a new Bond there is still every chance of film in 2018). But I reckon EON would spend 2017 and most of 2018 looking for an actor (you have to date for a bit before committing to one man). They'd probably hire a director in early 2018 to assist with the process.

The benefits of a 2019 release means that people could get excited again for the relaunch of Bond and audiences would be genuinely enthusiastic to see 007 again. However, in the current franchise-heavy landscape, there is a threat that Bond could lose its appeal. I know this seems difficult to fathom, but I felt that was there was even a lack of anticipation outside of the UK for Spectre; this is somewhat evident in the US grosses for the film....

So...Craig really has around 3-4 months to decide to return before the producers commit to relaunching with a new actor.

I suspect that Guy Ritchie is indeed in talks. He proved he could make a stylish spy caper with UNCLE, and I imagine they want the next film to be more fun and escapist in nature. However, I don't think Ritchie would do a Craig film, I think EON would want someone a little more highbrow to entice Daniel back. Ritchie would only be appointed if he was being ushered in to bring in a new Bond and a new tone.

Snatch is brilliantly stupid and I liked UNCLE and his Sherlock films (though I struggle to recall anything distinct about them...). Ritchie has style though:

jacqui-ainsley-guy-ritchie-inline.jpg

I imagine he'd inject some of that into Bond. But why can't we have Denis Villeneuve? Especially since he's stated that he's interested.

I can also guarantee that Craig won't talk too much about Bond on Friday. It's probably only going to be half-hour talk to hype Othello. Craig is one of the most inarticulate blokes around. We won't get anything coherent out of him regarding Bond 25. Probably just a "dunno, really busy at the moment. Still thinking about it" before shrugging his shoulders and waiting for the next question. Don't place your faith on a Friday announcement, it ain't coming.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Summer 2018 release? Hahaha you're dreaming.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I could live with Guy Ritchie. While UNCLE is a bore, visually Ritchie has always made good movies.
    But then that goes for Mendes as well.

I probably would prefer someone like John Glen who may not have made the most visually stunning Bond films but certainly 5 of the best direction wise.
  • RC7RC7
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I honestly think if the rumors of Wilson going out to meet with Ritchie last month are true my guess\hope is Friday Daniel announces that he is coming back (for one more at least) Ritchie will Direct Wb will distribute and it is coming out Fall 2018.

Not a cat in hell's chance.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Summer 2018 release? Hahaha you're dreaming.

I know - I was being facetious.

• RC7RC7

Lets consider the timelines here. Firstly, if Bond 25 is to come out in November 2018, they would need to start production around this time next year. That means they would probably want to get Craig secured now. Additionally, they'd probably want a director by around January 2017.

On the other hand, if Craig has decided to leave, I imagine they would hit the pause button for a year and the film would arrive in 2019. (However, if there is a new Bond there is still every chance of film in 2018). But I reckon EON would spend 2017 and most of 2018 looking for an actor (you have to date for a bit before committing to one man). They'd probably hire a director in early 2018 to assist with the process.

The benefits of a 2019 release means that people could get excited again for the relaunch of Bond and audiences would be genuinely enthusiastic to see 007 again. However, in the current franchise-heavy landscape, there is a threat that Bond could lose its appeal. I know this seems difficult to fathom, but I felt that was there was even a lack of anticipation outside of the UK for Spectre; this is somewhat evident in the US grosses for the film....

So...Craig really has around 3-4 months to decide to return before the producers commit to relaunching with a new actor.

I suspect that Guy Ritchie is indeed in talks. He proved he could make a stylish spy caper with UNCLE, and I imagine they want the next film to be more fun and escapist in nature. However, I don't think Ritchie would do a Craig film, I think EON would want someone a little more highbrow to entice Daniel back. Ritchie would only be appointed if he was being ushered in to bring in a new Bond and a new tone.

Snatch is brilliantly stupid and I liked UNCLE and his Sherlock films (though I struggle to recall anything distinct about them...). Ritchie has style though:

I imagine he'd inject some of that into Bond. But why can't we have Denis Villeneuve? Especially since he's stated that he's interested.

I can also guarantee that Craig won't talk too much about Bond on Friday. It's probably only going to be half-hour talk to hype Othello. Craig is one of the most inarticulate blokes around. We won't get anything coherent out of him regarding Bond 25. Probably just a "dunno, really busy at th
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

I can also guarantee that Craig won't talk too much about Bond on Friday. It's probably only going to be half-hour talk to hype Othello. Craig is one of the most inarticulate blokes around. We won't get anything coherent out of him regarding Bond 25. Probably just a "dunno, really busy at the moment. Still thinking about it" before shrugging his shoulders and waiting for the next question. Don't place your faith on a Friday announcement, it ain't coming.

I agree with everything except I believe the word of mouth and reviews hurt SP from the start in NA.

But being inundated with spy films the same year didn't help. And I still say if I hadn't seen RN first I might have had a better experience with SP. I remember watching SP saying hey I just saw that ...and hey are they in the same building as the RN team? (I'm sorry the safe house and Blofeld's desert lair looking a lot alike in the rooms.)
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    So is it clear whether or not we'll be able to view the interview with Mr. Craig on Friday live? Will it be streamed online?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    There will be a hologram in the sky.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    So is it clear whether or not we'll be able to view the interview with Mr. Craig on Friday live? Will it be streamed online?
    It's not clear as of yet.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited October 2016 Posts: 10,588
    DP
    On 7th October I would still be HUGELY surprised if Daniel Craig confirms if he's going or leaving. I think this because there isn't even a script yet, nor a director, nor a release date. He will discuss the franchise thus far but don't expect any big headlines to come from it. I think it be a joint statement (Eon & Crag) given to the media at some stage - probably next year.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    This just in from the James Bond Newsletter :

Well, there is still no official work regarding progress, casting, directors or anything else at all. Unofficially there is a rumour that Guy Ritchie is in talks to helm the next Bond movie. While I refrain from reporting every single rumour that makes the mainstream media, this one does seem like it might have an element of truth.

It'll be Guy Ritchie ;-).
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Well, there is still no official work regarding progress, casting, directors or anything else at all. Unofficially there is a rumour that Guy Ritchie is in talks to helm the next Bond movie. While I refrain from reporting every single rumour that makes the mainstream media, this one does seem like it might have an element of truth.

You say that like its a good thing.

I say that because, especially financially, it's the most logical choice :-).
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited October 2016 Posts: 9,117

Yeah financially speaking going to the guy who made Revolver, Rocknrolla, Swept Away and The Man From UNCLE and giving him a massive wad of cash to spend makes perfect sense.

Guy just shits box office like James Cameron after a chicken phaal doesn't he?
    Nicolas Schmidle has confirmed that the interview on Friday will not be live streamed.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Nicolas Schmidle has confirmed that the interview on Friday will not be live streamed.

Finally something (i.e. anything) confirmed!!
    jake24 wrote: »

That is to be expected with the unexpected DC in interviews.

• SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    I think @Pierce2Daniel is right. If we don't hear anything from EON or Craig in the next few months, Bond 25 won't come out before 2019, with or without Craig.

I believe that's the most likely outcome, so it's best to prepare yourselves for a long wait.
    @Pierce2Daniel I think the interview is scheduled for 90 minutes, not half an hour.

Edit: Apparently it won't even be filmed.
  • RC7RC7

Yeah financially speaking going to the guy who made Revolver, Rocknrolla, Swept Away and The Man From UNCLE and giving him a massive wad of cash to spend makes perfect sense.

Yeah, 'logic' has some very broad definitions on this website.

'Dat man made spi film, so dat man shud mayk dis spi film 2. E iz gud @ spize filmz '.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 11,425
    I enjoyed UNCLE. Cavill was wooden but otherwise I enjoyed. Also his Sherlock films were decent.

For those on here who keep on banging on about wanting a straight down the line stand alone mission movie, we could do a lot worse than Ritchie. If he's on form it would be nothing less than highly entertaining.

Frankly a Lewis Gilbert style light and fluffy entertainer is just what I'd like to see. I think Mendes was groping for this kind of movie with SP but isn't the right director.
    RC7 wrote: »

'Dat man made spi film, so dat man shud mayk dis spi film 2. E iz gud @ spize filmz '.

Well how about this to challenge your fandom. (It would mine ...bump Bond to Blu_ray.) Guy Ritchie Bond film with Turner as Bond on a personal mission.... yada yada yada..
  • RC7RC7
    edited October 2016 Posts: 10,512
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Well how about this to challenge your fandom. (It would mine ...bump Bond to Blu_ray.) Guy Ritchie Bond film with Turner as Bond on a personal mission.... yada yada yada..

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what your point is. Granted I've had a few G&T's.
    Getafix wrote: »
    I enjoyed UNCLE. Cavill was wooden but otherwise I enjoyed. Also his Sherlock films were decent.

For those on here who keep on banging on about wanting a straight down the line stand alone mission movie, we could do a lot worse than Ritchie. If he's on form it would be nothing less than highly entertaining.

Frankly a Lewis Gilbert style light and fluffy entertainer is just what I'd like to see. I think Mendes was groping for this kind of movie with SP but isn't the right director.

He's nothing like Gilbert, for me. He's pure (faux)style, all of it derivative and done better elsewhere. I'd prefer a solid storyteller. If he represents the the best on offer then I'd rather they rest the franchise, quite frankly. (Obviously he isn't, so we're all good).
    mcdonbb wrote: »

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what your point is. Granted I've had a few G&T's.
    Getafix wrote: »

He's nothing like Gilbert, for me. He's pure (faux)style, all of it derivative and done better elsewhere. I'd prefer a solid storyteller. If he represents the the best on offer then I'd rather they rest the franchise, quite frankly. (Obviously he isn't, so we're all good).

No point ...just a thought I would prefer not to happen.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    that is definitely strangle I smell something fishy that date must have been picked on purpose

• 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    that is definitely strangle I smell something fishy that date must have been picked on purpose
    strange not strangle sorry stupid device

#-o