No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    At least that's bit of an official word I'd believe, even if it doesn't indicate to the progression of Bond 25. At least it's an official word.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 11,119
    peter wrote: »

Now, if the guy interviewing Daniel Craig next week, October 7th, will be explicitly referring to that, we could perhaps dragggg some kind of answer out of his body :-).

One could perhaps ask him:

"Given the fact that you still haven't made up your mind yet if you return as James Bond 007, could you perhaps give us some reasons why you want to return and some reasons why you don't want to return?"
  • peterpeter Toronto
    We know one thing, coming from the producer: the ball is firmly in DC's court. I think it's more than likely that he will have to reveal his cards come Oct 7.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Somehow, I don't think that is likely. But, I want to be proven wrong.
    Fingers crossed we get to know either way,to get some closure on this...
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    So, everybody see this already?
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 6,601
    The source normally is a good one, but still bringing in the 135 mill speaks another language this time.

Ok, its Cinema, but why is it positioned so prominently, since we know its rubbish.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 19,339
    135 million EUR might entice Craig back,but I think then you would get a Connery'esque bored performance ala YOLT in places.
    If he doesn't want to do it then its simple,let him go,and use the money towards the production of BOND25 ,where it will be useful,and get an enthusiastic new actor in .
  • One thing is for sure as well:

EON Productions is NOT looking forward to reboot the whole damn thing again. That means EON actually wants scenario II to from my article to happen (https://spycommandfeatures.wordpress.com/the-spectre-of-bond-25/). They want Daniel Craig to return.

Which is a very different scenario than that of the post-"Die Another Day" period, where EON Productions basically urged Pierce Brosnan to resign, or to at least make him say "I'm done with it".

Brosnan really wanted to return after "Die Another Day", but EON more or less didn't want that to happen. With Craig it's the other way around. They desperately want Daniel Craig to return, but now the actor himself has the final say.
  • RC7RC7
    Which is a very different scenario than that of the post-"Die Another Day" period, where EON Productions basically urged Pierce Brosnan to resign, or to at least make him say "I'm done with it".

Brosnan really wanted to return after "Die Another Day", but EON more or less didn't want that to happen. With Craig it's the other way around. They desperately want Daniel Craig to return, but now the actor himself has the final say.

They didn't urge Pierce to resign. They were suffering creative fatigue and weren't sure where to go next. They didn't feel they could change gears while still keeping the same actor in the role so they had to let him go.

Saw this on another website, thought it was worth posting:
    Bond producer Callum McDougall on BBC Radio 4s today program, this morning said they want Craig back if he'll do it - he's Barbara's number 1 choice....
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    If this story (as unsurprising as it is) gets swirling around more, at least it'll seem credible for the interviewer to bring up Bond 25 negotiations to Dan.

The interview is apparently 2 hours, so they've got to squeeze something out of the man in that time.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 4,325
    Imagine if he said again that he'd rather slash his wrists than do another Bond film. After all he himself has said he says crap in interviews, so maybe we shouln't believe anything he says on Oct 7th.
  • RC7 wrote: »

They didn't urge Pierce to resign. They were suffering creative fatigue and weren't sure where to go next. They didn't feel they could change gears while still keeping the same actor in the role so they had to let him go.

If I'm not mistaken, Barbara and Pierce were on a conf.call together in 2004, when Brosnan was at his house in Malibu. They extensively talked about it and at one moment there was an uncomfortable silence from Michael Wilson and Barbara Broccoli. Brosnan then said himself: "So....I guess you want me to leave then?". You are right that they weren't directly urging him to leave, but implicitly that was very much the case. A combination indeed of creative fatigue but also an uncomfortable moment where that fatigue was definitely broken by an understanding from both the producers and Brosnan that leaving the role could be good to usher in new inspiration and creativity.

And this is very much so different from the situation with Daniel Craig. They basically throw all the balls to executive producer and actor Daniel Craig. And with it they let all the creativity for Bond #25, how difficult that may be, at the moment depend on him. If he signs up for Bond #25, then EON believes there's still a lot to gain from Daniel Craig as James Bond as opposed to Brosnan. In a way, this situation is much more comparable to Roger Moore and Sean Connery. When their contracts were served out completely, "Cubby" or "UA" always showed interest to get them back.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Imagine if he said again that he'd rather slash his wrists than do another Bond film. After all he himself has said he says crap in interviews, so maybe we shouln't believe anything he says on Oct 7th.

Dan isn't hard to decipher, so I don't see that sort of thing happening. He screwed with interviewers stupid enough to ask him not even a week or two after shooting SP if he wanted to go do another one, and the response they got was quite deserved.

But that was early on, and things are different now. Dan's had time to think, and we're going on a year since SP released, so expect no more foolery.
  • tanaka123 wrote: »

I guess he will be more nuanced this time around. He will say something like this:

"I'm not sure yet if I want to return as James Bond. And frankly, right now I am more focused on my current projects. But let me be clear, 'I am not sure yet'. That doesn't mean I am going to sign a new deal for Bond #25 as early as tomorrow. But it also doesn't mean that I am out and done. It's interesting to see all those rumours about other actors, but like my colleagues at EON are saying: Once I have made up my mind, there's a way lot more to confirm and to debunk".
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed

I guess he will be more nuanced this time around. He will say something like this:

"I'm not sure yet if I want to return as James Bond. And frankly, right now I am more focused on my current projects. But let me be clear, 'I am not sure yet'. That doesn't mean I am going to sign a new deal for Bond #25 as early as tomorrow. But it also doesn't mean that I am out and done. It's interesting to see all those rumours about other actors, but like my colleagues at EON are saying: Once I have made up my mind, there's a way lot more to confirm and to debunk".

It wouldn't really be his words this time around...It would be his PR manager or the head of the studio's words.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2016 Posts: 23,883
    If I was him, I'd try to come up with something that demotes that overused and ill advised quote to the dustbin heap of history.

So come up with something equally outrageous, but on the positive side. Something along the lines of:

"If they called me tomorrow with a script and were ready to shoot I'd drop everything and be at Pinewood before the phone hit the receiver!"

Dan isn't hard to decipher, so I don't see that sort of thing happening. He screwed with interviewers stupid enough to ask him not even a week or two after shooting SP if he wanted to go do another one, and the response they got was quite deserved.

But that was early on, and things are different now. Dan's had time to think, and we're going on a year since SP released, so expect no more foolery.

I wasn't being serious.
  • RC7RC7
    edited September 2016 Posts: 10,512
    RC7 wrote: »

If I'm not mistaken, Barbara and Pierce were on a conf.call together in 2004, when Brosnan was at his house in Malibu. They extensively talked about it and at one moment there was an uncomfortable silence from Michael Wilson and Barbara Broccoli. Brosnan then said himself: "So....I guess you want me to leave then?". You are right that they weren't directly urging him to leave, but implicitly that was very much the case. A combination indeed of creative fatigue but also an uncomfortable moment where that fatigue was definitely broken by an understanding from both the producers and Brosnan that leaving the role could be good to usher in new inspiration and creativity.

And this is very much so different from the situation with Daniel Craig. They basically throw all the balls to executive producer and actor Daniel Craig. And with it they let all the creativity for Bond #25, how difficult that may be, at the moment depend on him. If he signs up for Bond #25, then EON believes there's still a lot to gain from Daniel Craig as James Bond as opposed to Brosnan. In a way, this situation is much more comparable to Roger Moore and Sean Connery. When their contracts were served out completely, "Cubby" or "UA" always showed interest to get them back.

It's a completely different kettle of fish with DC, though. No actor has been given carte blanche in the way Craig has and that is down to Barbara and her decision to switch things up post-Broz. Neither Connery nor Moore had creative control in the way Craig does, they both turned up, did their job and took the paycheck. Cubby was constantly testing during the latter Roger years and Rog was content playing hardball over his fee. Cubby could've easily told Rog to stick and gone out on a limb, much like Babs did with DC, but he didn't because from a business perspective he had a product that was ticking along and making money - that's no different to the post-DAD scenario.

This whole thing boils down to Barbara doing her own thing, something she clearly wasn't confident in doing back in '95, the shadow of her father still looming large and MGW still a constant presence. Post '02 (Which, lest we forget was an interesting time for cinema in general) she decided it was her time to make a break and put her own stamp on things. Pierce was caught in the cross-fire. It could've been anyone.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2016 Posts: 15,690

Who in the hell would want Craig to talk like that? He's one of the most no-bullshit guy in Hollywood, as @bondjames said, I expect him to come with with an equally outrageous quote than his 'slash wrists', maybe drop a few F-Bombs in there as well, because that's the Craig I believe most here love to hear in interviews. Once Craig starts giving boring diplomatic answer is the day Craig is no longer Craig. I realize Craig is a loose cannon, but that's what makes him who he is. Love hearing/reading him cut through the bullsh*t.
    Well a positive way to know for sure that DC will say hello or goodbye to Bond,is the title of the interview next week,which is 'Beyond Bond'.
    You cant have a title like that and not talk about the character.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 382
    Gustav only likes 'nuanced' things
  • RC7RC7

LOLZ.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Well a positive way to know for sure that DC will say hello or goodbye to Bond,is the title of the interview next week,which is 'Beyond Bond'.

Maybe 'Beyond Bond' means chatting about his non-Bond projects?

Who in the hell would want Craig to talk like that? He's one of the most no-bullshit guy in Hollywood, as @bondjames said, I expect him to come with with an equally outrageous quote than his 'slash wrists', maybe drop a few F-Bombs in there as well, because that's the Craig I believe most here love to hear in interviews. Once Craig starts giving boring diplomatic answer is the day Craig is no longer Craig. I realize Craig is a loose cannon, but that's what makes him who he is. Love hearing/reading him cut through the bullsh*t.

"Craig, you're a loose cannon....but dammit if you don't get results!"
    barryt007 wrote: »

Maybe 'Beyond Bond' means chatting about his non-Bond projects?

Oh it definitely means that ,but you cant put Bond in the title and not mention him for 90mins-1hour...

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    RC7 wrote: »

LOLZ.
    This thread has hit an all time low.
    Roll on a week today so we may hopefully learn a little more about what is going on?