No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    This bullet catcher joins BBC NEWS and fellow Bond fan Simon McCoy to talk BOND 25, what might be in store for this silver bullet and Daniel Craig's final spin of the dice, the best Bond and why 007 holds such global and cultural hold...

https://www.facebook.com/catchingbullets/videos/382544849260149/

Nice one, Mark. @CatchingBullets
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    TripAces wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »

This guy is getting a little tacky.

Stop canvassing for a job on Twitter.
    Especially a job you already had. If his work is good enough and to Fukunaga's tastes, then he'll get the job.

Though, Eon have clearly moved on. I think Justin Hurwitz should get the gig. Then Cary Fukunaga would have essentially pinched all Damian Chazelle's crew. Though Sam Mendes basically did the same with Christopher Nolan......................

Though I think we need to break down the cast and speculate on roles - because A LOT of names were revealed. Some must have pretty measly screentime. For instance, I think it's fairly certain David Dencik will have a minor role.

Indeed. Here are Arnold's FILM credits since Quantum of Solace:

Morning Glory (2010)
    Paul (2011)
    The In-Betweeners 2 (2014)
    Silence Is Golden (2016)

What a resume.

giphy.gif

What he’s done outside of Bond is irrelevant; on paper, Newman appear more impressive by arguably Arnold is better at Bond; his scores for CR and QOS are spectacular; I wouldn’t mind seeing him build on those for 25.

It is 100% relevant because his name is not going to be at the forefront of CJF's mind. Why in the HELL would he hire Arnold? This is CJF's film. He is going to hire the composer he thinks can score HIS film, and that person will not be David Arnold.

We don't know that. You're assuming. Bond crews have always been a mixture of old talent and new talent. It's the same with Bond 25.
    Maybe Fukunaga has ideas about what he wants his film to sound like. Maybe he wants to bring in this new guy who he thinks could do a great job.
    Or maybe he has been watching Craig's Bond films in preparation and really liked Arnold's work.
    Maybe the producers have asked him if he'd have a problem with Arnold coming back.
    They have some power too: they asked/forced Fukunaga to work with their trusted 2nd unit director, their casting director, their special effects guy.
    Maybe Boyle had someone in mind, maybe they (BB, MGW, CF) are willing to stick to him like they stuck with Tildesley.
    Maybe they really don't know it yet and keep their options open.

Based on what we know, there's no way of being sure Arnold is out or in.

Everybody knows that they will bring Hans Zimmer on for the score, if only to please @Murdock. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »

Especially a job you already had. If his work is good enough and to Fukunaga's tastes, then he'll get the job.

Though, Eon have clearly moved on. I think Justin Hurwitz should get the gig. Then Cary Fukunaga would have essentially pinched all Damian Chazelle's crew. Though Sam Mendes basically did the same with Christopher Nolan......................

Though I think we need to break down the cast and speculate on roles - because A LOT of names were revealed. Some must have pretty measly screentime. For instance, I think it's fairly certain David Dencik will have a minor role.

Morning Glory (2010)
    Paul (2011)
    Silence Is Golden (2016)

What a resume.

giphy.gif

What he’s done outside of Bond is irrelevant; on paper, Newman appear more impressive by arguably Arnold is better at Bond; his scores for CR and QOS are spectacular; I wouldn’t mind seeing him build on those for 25.

It is 100% relevant because his name is not going to be at the forefront of CJF's mind. Why in the HELL would he hire Arnold? This is CJF's film. He is going to hire the composer he thinks can score HIS film, and that person will not be David Arnold.

We don't know that. You're assuming. Bond crews have always been a mixture of old talent and new talent. It's the same with Bond 25.
    Maybe Fukunaga has ideas about what he wants his film to sound like. Maybe he wants to bring in this new guy who he thinks could do a great job.
    Or maybe he has been watching Craig's Bond films in preparation and really liked Arnold's work.
    Maybe the producers have asked him if he'd have a problem with Arnold coming back.
    They have some power too: they asked/forced Fukunaga to work with their trusted 2nd unit director, their casting director, their special effects guy.
    Maybe Boyle had someone in mind, maybe they (BB, MGW, CF) are willing to stick to him like they stuck with Tildesley.
    Maybe they really don't know it yet and keep their options open.

Based on what we know, there's no way of being sure Arnold is out or in.

Everybody knows that they will bring Hans Zimmer on for the score, if only to please @Murdock. ;-)

One can only imagine what Hans would do to our dearly beloved theme tune...
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    jake24 wrote: »
    Do most of you guys think I should continue with the timeline updates? They take a considerable amount of effort and I don't feel as if enough people read it as an incentive to continue.

If you feel like stopping it, then please do. You should be doing what you enjoy. From here onwards, I am not so eager for any tiny bits of news anymore, because I know the ship is on its way.
  • 00Ralf00Ralf Germany
    Contraband wrote: »
    During the press conf. Babs explained/teased the begining with a retired Bond living in Jamaica, in that set piece-villa by the beach, and that Felix L will pay him a visit, requesting his help. Ok so far so good.

In terms of building that small villa, how many set builders would it take? 10, 20, 30 peeps? And then shooting all scenes at the villa establishing Bond relaxing, maybe cooking, swiming, kissing M Swann, Felix knocking on the door and they talk. Since it's a Bond-movie I would say some 100+ man crew on that set.

But Babs also said that EON had enlisted some 500+ jamaican locals. That suggest to me they must have more locations in Jamaica, with bigger set pieces and/or shooting chase scenes?

Can it even be the home of the main villain, living in some spectaular caribbean set, somewhere on the island or in/on the water that will - in good old Bond style - blow up at the end? All interior shot at Pinewood but the exterior set?

Adding to that, David Dencik said in a swedish interview that he'll be joining the cast next week in Jamaica and film some fighting scenes.

So no, just filming a small villa with a retired Bond & chat scenes doesnt add up with hiring 500 local workforce.

Article in Jamaica Observer, with Babs talking about Jamaica and the 500 locals:
    https://jamaicaobserver.com/splash/james-bond-brings-jobs_163206?profile=1606

Filming starts Sunday, as we already know, in Portland, and is expected to continue until late May, in the Corporate Area (Kingston & Saint Andrew Parish) and more in Portland (Map)

Jamaica as a location plays a big part in this.

BTW,
    1) What ever happend to that yellow house they built in Nittedal Norway? Is it gone now? Burned, blown up, what? Havent seen anything anywhere since the second unit shot those chasing scenes with the masked man, the girl and the house in the background.

2) The 13 year-old girl could very well be the daughter of Denciks character, look at the resemblance, at the same time she looks like a young Lea Seydoux.

This is giving me a migraine...

Yes, it does seem there is more to Jamaica than just Bond being on leave in his house. Because that would only require Craig, Seydoux and maybe Jeffrey Wright to be there. And since Lynch, de Armas and Dencik, as you mentioned, will be filming there as well, there must be more to the island than we know from the short synopsis.

As for the 500 locals - I wish for a lair, an army of the villain's minions, and a big battle for the finale (think YOLT or TSWLM). This could be an opportunity to deliver a classic finale and redeem their souls for the disappointing last third of Spectre.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Bad joke mate, bad joke. :))
    5V05mKOl.jpg
    During the press conf. Babs explained/teased the begining with a retired Bond living in Jamaica, in that set piece-villa by the beach, and that Felix L will pay him a visit, requesting his help. Ok so far so good.

In terms of building that small villa, how many set builders would it take? 10, 20, 30 peeps? And then shooting all scenes at the villa establishing Bond relaxing, maybe cooking, swiming, kissing M Swann, Felix knocking on the door and they talk. Since it's a Bond-movie I would say some 100+ man crew on that set.

But Babs also said that EON had enlisted some 500+ jamaican locals. That suggest to me they must have more locations in Jamaica, with bigger set pieces and/or shooting chase scenes?

Can it even be the home of the main villain, living in some spectaular caribbean set, somewhere on the island or in/on the water that will - in good old Bond style - blow up at the end? All interior shot at Pinewood but the exterior set?

Adding to that, David Dencik said in a swedish interview that he'll be joining the cast next week in Jamaica and film some fighting scenes.

So no, just filming a small villa with a retired Bond & chat scenes doesnt add up with hiring 500 local workforce.

Article in Jamaica Observer, with Babs talking about Jamaica and the 500 locals:

Filming starts Sunday, as we already know, in Portland, and is expected to continue until late May, in the Corporate Area (Kingston & Saint Andrew Parish) and more in Portland (Map)

BTW,
    1) What ever happend to that yellow house they built in Nittedal Norway? Is it gone now? Burned, blown up, what? Havent seen anything anywhere since the second unit shot those chasing scenes with the masked man, the girl and the house in the background.

2) The 13 year-old girl could very well be the daughter of Denciks character, look at the resemblance, at the same time she looks like a young Lea Seydoux.

Very good sleuthing!

Here's my take.

Felix comes to find Bond and ask for his help as the scientist has been taken to Jamaica. They may need some extra muscle or someone the CIA has plausible deniability from.

The mission then goes wrong and the villain decides to target Bond's now tranquil life. Th villain then destroy his home and kills Madeleine. Which spurs on Bond's mission to go after Rami Malek's character.

It makes sense, as they wouldn't have built that set of Bond's house IF they weren't gonna blow it up.

ALSO.....a question for @DarthDimi and all the mods at @MI6

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/19147/rami-malek-discussion#latest

you locked this thread I started about Rami Malek. However, there are about 10 different conversations happening in this thread at once. It's an utter mess!

Now we are out of 'pre-production' and into 'filming' AND have solid details. We should have dedicated threads to the actors so we can speculate on their characters.

It be very good to focus our discussion accordingly. I tried to talk about Lashana Lynch earlier and the post has now been lost in the abyss.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 4,599
    @Contraband
    some sound logic there. Linking this to my previous thoughts on the plot and why would FL come to Bond's home and why would Bond come out of retirment, perhaps Fl discovers the scientist is being held in Jamaica so it's a quick, local job for Bond or perhaps FL just wants gossip/intel in the island to help trace the scientist and looks to Bond for this but Bond is intrigued (or the cliche that it's FLs idea at the time to temp Bond back.) Perhaps, this time, it's Bond who is in a card circle? (nice reversal from Dr No) and up on the local gossip? Gambling will be a habit he can't break?

"Oh, its just a rendition, a quick in and out job." This fits in with "turns out to be far more treacherous than expected," so there is initially an expectation of a relatively routine mission.

Plus, was there not a post to say that there was some action scenes re the scientist in Jamaica? if so, can we assume these would be rescue scenes? This also explains how Bond gets to leave Madelaine. He never planned to. He took on a quick local job with a trusted friend and thought he would be back in time for dinner.

We also have to consider why the scientist has been kidnapped (surely not for ransom) as with Rogue One and countless other movies, it will be to work on the bad guys new project. I'm really stretching things now but could the scientists daughter also be kidnapped and used as leverage to force him work? The girl has to play a key emotional pivot point. You don't put a child into a Bond movie for no reason.

All complete guesswork obviously but it's all good fun .

BTW,

This is good. I like this. Nice sleuthing @Contraband
    jake24 wrote: »
    Do most of you guys think I should continue with the timeline updates? They take a considerable amount of effort and I don't feel as if enough people read it as an incentive to continue.

please if possible love it
    It's now confirmed that Lashana Lynch will play Nomi - she posted the news on Instagram.

Is there something I'm missing with Lashana Lynch? Her casting is a real headscratchier for me....

I'll confess I've only seen her in interviews and she seems charming. But is she a seriously talented actress? Because she only has a few credits but somehow got the attention of Marvel and Bond. So she must have something. Right?

This was clearly the role they sought Lupita Nyong'o for.....but something about Lynch seems a little off.

I'm fairly confident she's a capable actress @Pierce2Daniel. I might come off as shallow, but what I'm skeptical about is her look. Maybe it is because of her clothes (can't get over unflattering they are), but she comes off as rather plain and unsexy as a Bond girl. I thought the presenter looked hotter and more glamorous than her!
  • aaron819aaron819 Switzerland

BTW,

Nice sleuthing! I really like this!
    My thoughts on this:

Bond is relaxing in Jamaica with Madeleine where Felix arrives

It looks like this production will be much more secretive than Skyfall and Spectre (following the already extremely secretive pre-production). Looks like EON have learnt their lesson.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Yeah, the presenter did look nice.

Morning Glory (2010)
    Paul (2011)
    Silence Is Golden (2016)

What a resume.

giphy.gif

Seeing this comment repeated ad nauseum when it's been refuted as not being valid is quite funny now. Each to their own, of course. The usual. But there's a certain irony to the way these Arnold comments are being phrased considering the criticism of him. "You're like a broken record" etc.

Don't even get me started on the folks who seemingly spend their lives trawling social media for updates criticising a composer......for using social media.
    Well said! Might as well discount Hitchcock as a great director and story-teller because his last few films were the more obscure TORN CURTAIN, TOPAZ, and FAMILY PLOT.

I could care less if Arnold is scoring Saturday morning cartoons (do those even exist anymore?), I just know what he’s capable of with Bond. Yes let’s get a big name instead of Arnold, a big name who has no clue how to score a Bond film. But hey, at least it’s a big name, right?

That said, I enjoyed what I heard from Hurwitz for his FIRST MAN score. Sounded quite Bondian to me. Still, to throw Arnold away because he hasn’t scored anything mainstream lately is ludicrous and irrelevant!! It’s also borderline childish. It’s like when you’re a kid and you jump on the bandwagon of the latest team that just won the championship. Never mind that it’s not your home team. It’s your favorite at this moment because they won the championship. Next year you’ll have a different team that’s your favorite. I don’t like the “flavor of the month” thing.

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I don't think Bond will bed or seduce anyone else in this film other than Madeleine.

If she dies in the film, and Bond ends up having sex with another girl, I feel that would be too disrespectful of Bond to do.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Thank you all for the kind response. Me like you very much.

Question: How do I replay directly to another member here? Is it just by clicking on the quote-button?

*feeling stupid*
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Has Lea or anyone given anything away about Madeline... cameo, pivotal, coming along for ride? The movie would be sexless without her if Bond is now exclusive
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited April 2019 Posts: 2,541

Question: How do I replay directly to another member here? Is it just by clicking on the quote-button?

*feeling stupid*

Yes you click on the quote button and it will appear in your comment box, just post it.
    Don't worry you will get used to it.
    Well said! Might as well discount Hitchcock as a great director and story-teller because his last few films were the more obscure TORN CURTAIN, TOPAZ, and FAMILY PLOT.

I could care less if Arnold is scoring Saturday morning cartoons (do those even exist anymore?), I just know what he’s capable of with Bond. Yes let’s get a big name instead of Arnold, a big name who has no clue how to score a Bond film. But hey, at least it’s a big name, right?

That said, I enjoyed what I heard from Hurwitz for his FIRST MAN score. Sounded quite Bondian to me. Still, to throw Arnold away because he hasn’t scored anything mainstream lately is ludicrous and irrelevant!! It’s also borderline childish. It’s like when you’re a kid and you jump on the bandwagon of the latest team that just won the championship. Never mind that it’s not your home team. It’s your favorite at this moment because they won the championship. Next year you’ll have a different team that’s your favorite. I don’t like the “flavor of the month” thing.
    Indeed, the David Arnold haters have gone fully embarrasing with their comments mocking him for using social media like any other normal person, or even worse demeaning his last jobs.

Everyone clutches their pearls when PP trashes BB or MGW but this is no different.

I'd be fine with a new composer, though, especially someone who could add a very fresh sound to the franchise like Trent Reznor and Atticuss Ross.

But if you asked me who I'd prefer, I'll always say Arnold.

*feeling stupid*

Yes you click on the quote button and it will appear in your comment box, just post it.
    Don't worry you will get used to it.

Thanks man
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

Indeed, the David Arnold haters have gone fully embarrasing with their comments mocking him for using social media like any other normal person, or even worse demeaning his last jobs.

Everyone clutches their pearls when PP trashes BB or MGW but this is no different.

I'd be fine with a new composer, though, especially someone who could add a very fresh sound to the franchise like Trent Reznor and Atticuss Ross.

+1

+1

+1

I'd be very interested in hearing a new sound for the series, but I'd be delighted if Arnold returned too. It's win win for me in that regard.
    Bond will have some form of romance with Ana. Might be apart of the mission similar to his encounter with severine
    This confirms my two cents on the Jamaica-shoot. Several weeks stay with nearly 1000 locals on the payroll:

Jamaica is expected to benefit greatly from yet another James Bond movie, with Jamaica Film Commissioner Renée Robinson confirming that shooting will begin shortly and last for several weeks. Hailing the economic impact of the film, Robinson revealed that nearly a thousand Jamaicans would be employed as a result. Many of these would be persons directly involved in the film industry in areas such as production management and coordination, camera operators and sound personnel, extras, along with others who would be providing backup services such as transportation and accommodation.

“There is a full range of job functions that are being hired by the production team,” Robinson pointed out. Robinson described the filming as a landmark event for Jamaica and an indication that the island is open for business in the film industry.

James Bond returns to Jamaica after 46 years. “Jamaica is the home of James Bond. This is where it started. All the books were written here. We’re ready to bring Bond back home. This is a big deal,” Robinson said.

jamaica-gleaner.com/article/entertainment/20190426/bond-returns-home

Next mission this weekend; finding pics and videos from the set-piece villa, main cast, & crew somewhere along the coastline of Portland :D
    The focus on Jamaica is great news, harkens back to entries like Thunderball where the action mostly took place in one location.

I wonder if the amount of extras means we will get some sort of Parade scene or a Lair.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 3,126
    I have wifi at home again 2 weeks of misery over and I'm feeling great 21 Century problems lol 🤣
    I don't think Bond will bed or seduce anyone else in this film other than Madeleine.

If she dies in the film, and Bond ends up having sex with another girl, I feel that would be too disrespectful of Bond to do.
    Forget that. The metoo movement will ensure that Bond goes sexless here. Bond should just shag his way through each mission. Alas that’s not allowed anymore. It’s so surprising that Babs would be so onboard with the metoo nonsense, considering she heads a series where the hero is basically a serial womanizer. It’s nothing to be ashamed of. It’s who Bond is. It’s part of his DNA. Even funnier seeing Michael nodding his head as Babs mentions metoo LOL! The poor guy is probably thinking “what’s Bond coming to?”

• ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
  • kg54mvpkg54mvp USA
    No...no..noo...what about madeline? Does he have to go through yet another love? Yikes.