No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    jake24 wrote: »
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    Some Belgian newspaper put the "article" about Craig being difficult etc on their site...

BTW, will be the GE mansion be used as Bond's house? ;-) I wouldn't mind... :-)
    There was an extended press release handed to the media, that confirmed GoldenEye wouldn't be used as a location.

Ok thanks Jake.

Too bad. :(
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Walecs wrote: »
    I want to see Arnold return as much as the next guy, but let's be honest here, the composer won't realistically be announced this year. Probably around February I'd say.
    There's no reason to think that. Newman doing the score for Skyfall and SPECTRE was announced a year before the movie's release.

Not that I recall for SPECTRE. It was around the time the singer/title song was announced that we officially got word that Newman was doing it.
    Newman was confirmed at the press launch in December 2014.

That's odd. I wonder how I avoided that news for so long.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Contraband wrote: »
    Greetings from Sweden, all fellow spies and JB-hardcore fans! My first post here :-)

Combine the kidnapping-part with a "mysterious villain armed with dangerous new technology." in the Bond 25 plotline which lead to the second speculation part:

Havana syndrome
    Remember the mysterious illnesses the staff at the US embassy in Cuba suffered in 2017 (the bold part):

The US embassy in Havana more than halved its staff in 2017 when diplomats complained of headaches, nausea and other ailments after hearing penetrating noises in their homes and nearby hotels. The mysterious wave of illness fuelled speculation that the staff had been targeted by an acoustic weapon. It was an explanation that appeared to gain weight when an audio recording of a persistent, high-pitched drone made by US personnel in Cuba was released to the Associated Press. But a fresh analysis of the audio recording has revealed what scientists in the UK and the US now believe is the true source of the piercing din: it is the song of the Indies short-tailed cricket, known formally as Anurogryllus celerinictus.

https://theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/06/sonic-attack-on-us-embassy-in-havana-could-have-been-crickets-say-scientists

https://nytimes.com/2018/12/12/world/americas/cuba-embassy-attacks.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havana_syndrome

Some form of sonic attack device/weapon developed by the kidnapped scientist, and now the main villain Rami Maleks character wanna use this in some way?
    Welcome/välkommen, and great idea! I was thinking the tech might be some kind of portable HAARP, but forgot about that incident from a couple of years ago with the acoustic device. Upon first reading about it, I remember thinking it was an interesting idea for a Bond story, and reminded of the sonic device that killed MI6 agent Dawes in LALD. Hadn't read about the crickets though, and find it hard to believe they were the cause. A more interesting story perhaps, but far less espionage-y. Unless of course, they were robotic cricket surveillance drones.

@StanKobra Nice collection - and Bond news in the Gleaner! Very fitting!
    Do most of you guys think I should continue with the timeline updates? They take a considerable amount of effort and I don't feel as if enough people read it as an incentive to continue.
    Great work, jake24. I check the front page now and then, but haven't recently. Maybe one of the members who posted on the first page would like to continue with the list?
    talos7 wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »

This guy is getting a little tacky.

Stop canvassing for a job on Twitter.
    Especially a job you already had. If his work is good enough and to Fukunaga's tastes, then he'll get the job.

Though, Eon have clearly moved on. I think Justin Hurwitz should get the gig. Then Cary Fukunaga would have essentially pinched all Damian Chazelle's crew. Though Sam Mendes basically did the same with Christopher Nolan......................

Though I think we need to break down the cast and speculate on roles - because A LOT of names were revealed. Some must have pretty measly screentime. For instance, I think it's fairly certain David Dencik will have a minor role.

Indeed. Here are Arnold's FILM credits since Quantum of Solace:

Morning Glory (2010)
    Paul (2011)
    The In-Betweeners 2 (2014)
    Silence Is Golden (2016)

What a resume.

giphy.gif

What he’s done outside of Bond is irrelevant; on paper, Newman appear more impressive by arguably Arnold is better at Bond; his scores for CR and QOS are spectacular; I wouldn’t mind seeing him build on those for 25.

Exactly! I second this.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Do most of you guys think I should continue with the timeline updates? They take a considerable amount of effort and I don't feel as if enough people read it as an incentive to continue.

I think we should open a new Production thread for the actual production, and leave this as a free for all discussion about B25. You could even leave the new Production thread locked, so it's a simple list.
    I think people would follow it.

But, Jake, it's up to you. Don't feel forced to continue. This can always survive as a thread to discuss the production as it goes along, without page 1 updates.
    I’d love to see you continue it as it serves as a wonderful time capsule of everything we’ve gone through as fans. The considerable effort involved in maintaining it really is much appreciated.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited April 2019 Posts: 10,586
    NicNac wrote: »

I think we should open a new Production thread for the actual production, and leave this as a free for all discussion about B25. You could even leave the new Production thread locked, so it's a simple list.

But, Jake, it's up to you. Don't feel forced to continue. This can always survive as a thread to discuss the production as it goes along, without page 1 updates.
    Dimi opened the filming thread which is the same as you suggest. So, if I continue with the updates, it'll transfer over to there as the character limit has been reached on this thread. If more people want to see it continue, I'd be open to it.
    Wow - that page six article is a bit harsh. If it's true it's explosive stuff:
    The source added of curmudgeonly Craig’s return, “Everyone on the production side detests working with Daniel, he’s so difficult and makes things impossible. But [Bond producer] Barbara Broccoli thinks he walks on water, and only her opinion matters.”

Hmm I doubt it's true but I thought the title would be revealed yesterday and it wasn't so anything is possible, I guess! I do recall some mention of Craig not enjoying the SPECTRE London night shooting, he was tired, but I've never read about cast/crew detesting him. If that is true then it adds further weight to the view he won't come back for a sixth film.

Grace Jones in Bond 25? Mayday's mother! LOL

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Sorry to break it to you, but that article is 100% horse manure.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    edited April 2019 Posts: 2,630
    Walecs wrote: »
    I want to see Arnold return as much as the next guy, but let's be honest here, the composer won't realistically be announced this year. Probably around February I'd say.
    There's no reason to think that. Newman doing the score for Skyfall and SPECTRE was announced a year before the movie's release.

Not that I recall for SPECTRE. It was around the time the singer/title song was announced that we officially got word that Newman was doing it.
    Newman was confirmed at the press launch in December 2014.

That's odd. I wonder how I avoided that news for so long.

Mendes stated it here (at about 3:45)

• ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Good Morning America:

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited April 2019 Posts: 1,756
    Ready to be proven wrong but nothing about Armas screams potential badass. I'm afraid she'll just be "sexy relevant person".

Lynch could pull off badass, which is why I'm fairly certain she'll do nicely as an agent.

Sylvia Hoeks who played Luv in Blade Runner would have made an excellent femme fatale.
  • Excellent interview with Craig! Such a relief to hear he is well rested, and excited to begin filming.

@jake24 I love them and would greatly appreciate if you continue
    edited April 2019 Posts: 10,586

@jake24 I love them and would greatly appreciate if you continue
    Appreciate it.

More interviews:
    All this talk about Arnold is embarrassing., and what Arnold has been doing on Twitter in the pst few days is downright pathetic. The franchise has been elevated by Mendes, and Arnold is simply not good enough anymore. He will never work on a Bond film again.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Yawn.
    All this talk about Arnold is embarrassing., and what Arnold has been doing on Twitter in the pst few days is downright pathetic. The franchise has been elevated by Mendes, and Arnold is simply not good enough anymore. He will never work on a Bond film again.

You are embarrassing.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited April 2019 Posts: 2,541
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    I’m probably in the minority but I do not want Arnold coming back. I want someone completly new to do the score

Same here I want someone new
    Ready to be proven wrong but nothing about Armas screams potential badass. I'm afraid she'll just be "sexy relevant person".

Lynch could pull off badass, which is why I'm fairly certain she'll do nicely as an agent.

Sylvia Hoeks who played Luv in Blade Runner would have made an excellent femme fatale.

Watch Knock Knock you will know what she can do ;)
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    I'd love it if you did! When looking back at a Bond production, I think it's interesting to follow when they shot what scene, how 'out of order' they shot the film. (I love call sheets for the same reason) Since you're doing such a tremendous job with the pre-production time line, I would love it if you continued. As others have said, a new topic is probably the best way of doing it. But please don't feel pressured. If you're not feeling it to do it, no problem!

On-topic: Why are some people always judging David Arnold on how many films he has scored since QOS, or SP or anything else?
    That's not relevant at all. He has proven (to me, at least) that he's highly capable of producing a good Bond score, he understands what the 'Bond sound' is, he's not afraid to use the Bond theme or the title theme once in a while, and he likes doing it and wants to return.

The decision lies with the film makers, especially with Cary Fukunaga. If he wants someone else, fine, perfect. Bring in someone new, let them have a crack at it.
    If he wants Arnold, fine with me as well.
    I get that people don't like his style. You can argue that he relies too heavily on the Bond theme, sure.
    But dismissing Arnold because of something that has nothing to do with the Bond scores he makes is downright strange and besides the point.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited April 2019 Posts: 4,548

Especially a job you already had. If his work is good enough and to Fukunaga's tastes, then he'll get the job.

Though, Eon have clearly moved on. I think Justin Hurwitz should get the gig. Then Cary Fukunaga would have essentially pinched all Damian Chazelle's crew. Though Sam Mendes basically did the same with Christopher Nolan......................

Though I think we need to break down the cast and speculate on roles - because A LOT of names were revealed. Some must have pretty measly screentime. For instance, I think it's fairly certain David Dencik will have a minor role.

Morning Glory (2010)
    Paul (2011)
    Silence Is Golden (2016)

What a resume.

giphy.gif

What he’s done outside of Bond is irrelevant; on paper, Newman appear more impressive by arguably Arnold is better at Bond; his scores for CR and QOS are spectacular; I wouldn’t mind seeing him build on those for 25.

It is 100% relevant because his name is not going to be at the forefront of CJF's mind. Why in the HELL would he hire Arnold? This is CJF's film. He is going to hire the composer he thinks can score HIS film, and that person will not be David Arnold.

Exactly. Hiring Arnold is like having Counting Crows do the theme song. Good back in the day but now culturally and musically irrelevant.
    antovolk wrote: »

another 100 comments back as always playing catch up but seriously if they don't make a Where's waldo joke I will be pissed.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    NicNac wrote: »

Dimi opened the filming thread which is the same as you suggest. So, if I continue with the updates, it'll transfer over to there as the character limit has been reached on this thread. If more people want to see it continue, I'd be open to it.

Yeah, that's what that other thread was for, more or less. Thanks anyway, @Jake, for keeping track of things. Much appreciated!

You are embarrassing.

@jetsetwilly
    He also wants BB and MGW fired/retired. It's just football hooligan logic. Fire the trainer and all is well again.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    It is 100% relevant because his name is not going to be at the forefront of CJF's mind. Why in the HELL would he hire Arnold? This is CJF's film. He is going to hire the composer he thinks can score HIS film, and that person will not be David Arnold.
    Unless Daniel Craig or Barbara Broccoli don’t like his choice of composer. Then someone else will be scoring CJF’s film.

• DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium

Morning Glory (2010)
    Paul (2011)
    Silence Is Golden (2016)

What a resume.

giphy.gif

We don't know that. You're assuming. Bond crews have always been a mixture of old talent and new talent. It's the same with Bond 25.
    Maybe Fukunaga has ideas about what he wants his film to sound like. Maybe he wants to bring in this new guy who he thinks could do a great job.
    Or maybe he has been watching Craig's Bond films in preparation and really liked Arnold's work.
    Maybe the producers have asked him if he'd have a problem with Arnold coming back.
    They have some power too: they asked/forced Fukunaga to work with their trusted 2nd unit director, their casting director, their special effects guy.
    Maybe Boyle had someone in mind, maybe they (BB, MGW, CF) are willing to stick to him like they stuck with Tildesley.
    Maybe they really don't know it yet and keep their options open.

Based on what we know, there's no way of being sure Arnold is out or in.
    If you want to continue CR and QOS, getting the composer back would seem only natural.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 4,400
    It's now confirmed that Lashana Lynch will play Nomi - she posted the news on Instagram.

Is there something I'm missing with Lashana Lynch? Her casting is a real headscratchier for me....

I'll confess I've only seen her in interviews and she seems charming. But is she a seriously talented actress? Because she only has a few credits but somehow got the attention of Marvel and Bond. So she must have something. Right?

This was clearly the role they sought Lupita Nyong'o for.....but something about Lynch seems a little off.
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    This bullet catcher joins BBC NEWS and fellow Bond fan Simon McCoy to talk BOND 25, what might be in store for this silver bullet and Daniel Craig's final spin of the dice, the best Bond and why 007 holds such global and cultural hold...

https://www.facebook.com/catchingbullets/videos/382544849260149/
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited April 2019 Posts: 8,009

Morning Glory (2010)
    Paul (2011)
    Silence Is Golden (2016)

What a resume.

giphy.gif

Seeing this comment repeated ad nauseum when it's been refuted as not being valid is quite funny now. Each to their own, of course. The usual. But there's a certain irony to the way these Arnold comments are being phrased considering the criticism of him. "You're like a broken record" etc.

Don't even get me started on the folks who seemingly spend their lives trawling social media for updates criticising a composer......for using social media.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    During the press conf. Babs explained/teased the begining with a retired Bond living in Jamaica, in that set piece-villa by the beach, and that Felix L will pay him a visit, requesting his help. Ok so far so good.

In terms of building that small villa, how many set builders would it take? 10, 20, 30 peeps? And then shooting all scenes at the villa establishing Bond relaxing, maybe cooking, swiming, kissing M Swann, Felix knocking on the door and they talk. Since it's a Bond-movie I would say some 100+ man crew on that set.

But Babs also said that EON had enlisted some 500+ jamaican locals. That suggest to me they must have more locations in Jamaica, with bigger set pieces and/or shooting chase scenes?

Can it even be the home of the main villain, living in some spectaular caribbean set, somewhere on the island or in/on the water that will - in good old Bond style - blow up at the end? All interior shot at Pinewood but the exterior set?

Adding to that, David Dencik said in a swedish interview that he'll be joining the cast next week in Jamaica and film some fighting scenes.

So no, just filming a small villa with a retired Bond & chat scenes doesnt add up with hiring 500 local workforce.

Article in Jamaica Observer, with Babs talking about Jamaica and the 500 locals:
    https://jamaicaobserver.com/splash/james-bond-brings-jobs_163206?profile=1606

Filming starts Sunday, as we already know, in Portland, and is expected to continue until late May, in the Corporate Area (Kingston & Saint Andrew Parish) and more in Portland (Map)

Jamaica as a location plays a big part in this.

BTW,
    1) What ever happend to that yellow house they built in Nittedal Norway? Is it gone now? Burned, blown up, what? Havent seen anything anywhere since the second unit shot those chasing scenes with the masked man, the girl and the house in the background.

2) The 13 year-old girl could very well be the daughter of Denciks character, look at the resemblance, at the same time she looks like a young Lea Seydoux.

This is giving me a migraine...