No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited April 2019 Posts: 17,293
    TripAces wrote: »
    I have to balk at the idea of a female agent being given the "007" designation. I can see her having another designation; but otherwise, when Bond comes out of retirement, he's not 007 for the rest of the film. How would that work?

James Bond - consultant Secret Service agent. :-D
    I have to balk at the idea of a female agent being given the "007" designation. I can see her having another designation; but otherwise, when Bond comes out of retirement, he's not 007 for the rest of the film. How would that work?

I suppose that for the purposes of the film, Bond isn't 007.

The only reason the new 007 would seek out Bond is for a specific reason. For example, an old enemy of Bond's has escaped or Spectre have returned. M may say to the new 007 that the only person who can help is Bond. Bond wouldn't be interested in getting his number back. He'd merely be assisting the new 007 throughout the film.

Bond may rejoin MI6 at the end. But at this point, it's way more likely that Bond will either die or retire permanently at the end. Which leads to the end of the Craig-era and then we get the reboot in a few years time.....
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Is it verified that we'll have a female 007, or is it fan speculation?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Benny wrote: »
    Is it verified that we'll have a female 007, or is it fan speculation?
    It was reported in the Mail to be a possible plotline.

I would balk at the headlines criticizing Bond taking the role back in that scenario. Someone would surely twist it to mean a reenforcement of gender inequality and the notion that men are superior.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    peter wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Where has Baz been? We haven’t heard anything from him in weeks.

@DonnyDB5 Maybe he is on a vacation or on holiday in Jamaica for an assignment on Bond 25? ;)
    peter wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Do you think they’ll make Gregg Wilson associate producer on this one?

He is going to take over next Time

Yes he is, but he will get a top producing credit on B 25.... he’s been working like a beast on this project (as well as the rhythm section starring Blake Lively)

@peter This is going to be the last bond film with Michael and Barbara and Bond 26 on it will be Gregg and Barbara?

I think it's safe to say that Gregg Wilson is being groomed to step in as BB's producing partner for the series moving ahead (after B25). He has been working for the past two years on TRS with Lively and straight into B25, taking on more and more responsibilities.

Ok @peter
    You have data on your phone @007Blofeld ?

@Blofeld0064 negative
    Really upset with internet company will probably miss the press conference ugh internet at home won't be fixed till may 2nd ugh >:P :-W

@007Blofeld Stream it via network. You can get a free trial week of DirecTV Now or You Tube TV. (I'd recommend either over cable anyway.)
    @TripAces how's that possible with no wifi or data?
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Really upset with internet company will probably miss the press conference ugh internet at home won't be fixed till may 2nd ugh >:P :-W

@007Blofeld Stream it via network. You can get a free trial week of DirecTV Now or You Tube TV. (I'd recommend either over cable anyway.)

Just go to your local McDonalds or similar, they will have wifi.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I don't care when it is or where I am, I'm stopping whatever I'm doing and watching the press conference.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Didn't Baz suggest a few weeks back that Naomie Harris had a larger role in Bond 25? Is there a chance that Moneypenny has become 007 during Bond's retirement?
    I like the idea of Moneypenny becoming a temp 007 - I can imagine some playful banter when Bond returns...

Bond: "I want my number back, I feel naked without it."

Moneypenny: "James, I'm sure you'll get used to being 008 in no time. They are, after all, perfectly rounded figures."
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Diplomatic Agent 7777 ;)
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    JET007 wrote: »

I would balk at the headlines criticizing Bond taking the role back in that scenario. Someone would surely twist it to mean a reenforcement of gender inequality and the notion that men are superior.

If that is what indeed happens, I trust CJF's ability to spin it into a statement that women are important on their own without the need to piggyback off an iconic male role.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    jake24 wrote: »
    I don't care when it is or where I am, I'm stopping whatever I'm doing and watching the press conference.

You’d better. You’re updating the thread title. ;)

edited April 2019 Posts: 3,126

Just go to your local McDonalds or similar, they will have wifi.
    @dominicgreene that's not really secure but probably by the time I would head out it be done I've just been going to college and using there wifi thats secure but its 30 ish minutes away it depends what time they have it if its early morning or if it's late morning afternoon. Usually has always been early morning where I live
    jake24 wrote: »

@jake24 yeah run out like a wild animal to nearest wifi/computer lol =))
  • weboffearweboffear Scotland
    as regards a female 007 in Bond 25 i think it's more likely that Bond avenges her death
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited April 2019 Posts: 5,869
    I think killing her off is a worse idea than him just working alongside a female 007. I also want to say that just because people don't want a female 007, doesn't mean it's not going to happen.

I just hope people will give it a chance before they completely throw the character in the trash. If it turns out to be pointless and gimmicky then by all means go at it, but she could turn out to be the best Bond girl we've ever had. Who knows?

I don't base my enjoyment on whether he has his 00-status, I base my enjoyment on whether they're good films.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Can't wait for next week, hopefully we get some news
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I think killing her off is a worse idea than him just working alongside a female 007. I also want to say that just because people don't want a female 007, doesn't mean it's not going to happen.

I just hope people will give it a chance before they completely throw the character in the trash. If it turns out to be pointless and gimmicky then by all means go at it, but she could turn out to be the best Bond girl we've ever had. Who knows?

I don't base my enjoyment on whether he has his 00-status, I base my enjoyment on whether they're good films.

@Denbigh it depends how much you trust the daily mail excluding Baz all the trusted sources say it's a script polish for humor and female characters I don't think it's going to happen regardless if someone does or doesn't want it to happen of course I'm in the doesn't camp but still. That's my opinion of course.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

@Denbigh it depends how much you trust the daily mail excluding Baz all the trusted sources say it's a script polish for humor and female characters I don't think it's going to happen regardless if someone does or doesn't want it to happen of course I'm in the doesn't camp but still. That's my opinion of course.
    @007Blofeld I don't really have an opinion on the DailyMail info, it's hard to know what to believe. I do think it's born out of the rumours of the "protégé agent" but it could happen for all we know. I'm just very aware of how fans/audiences can be, they hear something they don't like so they judge before they've even seen how it's done or how it's crafted. Opinions are cool, this whole site is built on them, but to let it ruin the experience or even shift your opinion of the producers seems a bit at this point. Not to say that you have personally, but I've seen a lot of pointless arguments surface after this rumour.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    If female 007 is a great character it will still be an irksome gimmick to have made her 007. If she's a great MI6 female agent, guess which franchise they'll be immediately saying Bond is copying? Plus, the rumor casting was for her as young, which immediately implies they may go down the road of old Bond again and I don't want that either.

If they do it and I'm pleasantly surprised, great, but it will come as a surprise. I don't want a gimmick, a team effort, an Ilsa Faust copy, or young vs old, and that's a lot for them to dodge... and Craig/EON have a track record of stepping in it.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    @DoctorNo A fair opinion, but who knows what the process was for this possible idea. As for Bond being called out for copying Mission Impossible? It's not like that franchise hasn't built a lot of it's success on James Bond. Fallout practically ripped imagery straight from Spectre, and everyone could see it, so why can't EON do the same and try to make something new and interesting with a similar concept?

Nothing's original these days, especially in the spy genre, so why not try something new for the franchise itself? Again, I can easily respect your opinion, but just don't people one of those people that throw the character to the side before you've even seen what they've done with it. If it's a gimmick but a really cool and interesting character. What does it matter?
    I love the idea of a female 007 coming to Bond (once and for all killing the code name theory) for help. Maybe she dies near the end and he takes back the number. I don't know, it intrigues me. It could be really cool if done well
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    There's no question MI is a copy franchise, but it's firing on all cylinders right now and Rebecca Ferguson is a large part of that... so Bond would likely come across as just being lame and unoriginal and copying them. It's a timing thing if nothing else.

There's so many writers having touched this thing you would hope that whatever they do it will be well written... but at the same time, they've made some pretty bad decisions that no amount of writing could improve on. I'm incredibly hopeful for this movie, but those bad decisions still weigh on those hopes... so that's why it's concerning if they have elements that appear highly suspect to me.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

I agree. James Bond was given the number 007 at birth.
    I mean technically Bond already did the kickass female spy thing before. The closest comparison is Miranda Frost, a traitorous MI6 agent who also got to do some action against Jinx. Wai Lin is an obvious one. Holly Goodhead, a CIA agent pulled some punches herself. Anya Amasova was a KGB agent although she was fairly useless in combat, especially against Jaws.

One of the more memorable Bond girls, Fiona Volpe, was a SPECTRE agent just as deadly as Bond.

The femme fatale who works both sides is a spy trope. Bond would be copying himself more than anything.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    echo wrote: »
    I agree. James Bond was given the number 007 at birth.
    I admit, this made me chortle. :))

@007Blofeld I don't really have an opinion on the DailyMail info, it's hard to know what to believe. I do think it's born out of the rumours of the "protégé agent" but it could happen for all we know. I'm just very aware of how fans/audiences can be, they hear something they don't like so they judge before they've even seen how it's done or how it's crafted. Opinions are cool, this whole site is built on them, but to let it ruin the experience or even shift your opinion of the producers seems a bit at this point. Not to say that you have personally, but I've seen a lot of pointless arguments surface after this rumour.

@Denbigh I respect your opinion even though I'm not for what's been rumored around or whatever by the mail I can see your point and there's nothing wrong with it it really depends on perspectives or opinions at the end the day :)
    I’ve said for the longest time that Harris would be a fantastic 007. I’d love to see that happen!
  • DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator
    Will Eon have to change their logo from 007 to James Bond for this movie?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited April 2019 Posts: 7,526
    Will Eon have to change their logo from 007 to James Bond for this movie?

No.
    007 hasn’t always been James Bond (FAAD) and James Bond hasn’t always been 007 (YOLT). Everything will be fine.

It’s interesting to think about though. In FAAD M ruminates that there are only three 00s: 007, 008 and 0011, and it’s so because ‘patterns are the enemy of intelligence’ or whatever. When 007 dies, M and Tanner talk about whether they’ll give Bond 007 or a new number; if Bond didn’t have the number anymore I wonder if M would elect to keep the number or make a new one (004 or something) for the next person.
    I guess we may find out in B25