No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    When Bond visits Mr. White in his log cabin and asks who he is protecting, he just stares and swallows at the mention of "your son". Could Malek or Magnussen be his son?

Bond: You're protecting someone. Your wife?
    White: *laughs* She left long ago.
    Bond: Your son?
    White: *stares and swallows*
    Bond: You're daughter?
    White: You wont find her. She is clever, she is smarter than me. She knows how to hide.

I would not have thought so but never say never? I always felt robbed that Mr White was not utilised more to be honest.

I agree and I don't think you need to put him on the screen that much more. It's more about how White can resonate within the story.

You might quite like my version of SPECTRE I'm working on.

White should have been far more important in the big scheme of things, I'm addressing this quite significantly.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    MGM Hires Robert Marick to Expand Consumer Products
    https://variety.com/2019/film/news/mgm-robert-marick-expand-consumer-products-1203165505/

Metro Goldwyn Mayer has hired industry veteran Robert Marick as executive VP of global consumer products and experiences.

In his new role, Marick is responsible for overseeing the expansion of MGM’s traditional merchandise, interactive and consumer products business. He’s also developing a global strategy with a focus on core consumer products licensing, digital and gaming, location-based entertainment and direct-to-consumer businesses.

[...] Marick will be working on MGM brands including “The Addams Family,” “Legally Blonde,” “The Handmaid’s Tale,” “Vikings,” “James Bond,” and “Pink Panther.” He began his career working in toys at Mattel and managing Fox’s multibillion-dollar global licensing business, and implemented global franchise strategies for “Avatar,” “Ice Age,” and “The Simpsons.”
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    https://variety.com/2019/film/news/mgm-robert-marick-expand-consumer-products-1203165505/

Metro Goldwyn Mayer has hired industry veteran Robert Marick as executive VP of global consumer products and experiences.

In his new role, Marick is responsible for overseeing the expansion of MGM’s traditional merchandise, interactive and consumer products business. He’s also developing a global strategy with a focus on core consumer products licensing, digital and gaming, location-based entertainment and direct-to-consumer businesses.

[...] Marick will be working on MGM brands including “The Addams Family,” “Legally Blonde,” “The Handmaid’s Tale,” “Vikings,” “James Bond,” and “Pink Panther.” He began his career working in toys at Mattel and managing Fox’s multibillion-dollar global licensing business, and implemented global franchise strategies for “Avatar,” “Ice Age,” and “The Simpsons.”

James Bond video games?!
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited March 2019 Posts: 2,541
    007Blofeld wrote: »

James Bond video games?!

Yes please long overdue
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Hopefully 'gaming' means video games and not the pokies...
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited March 2019 Posts: 2,056
    Danny Boyle is interviewed in the May issue of Empire Magazine (UK)

Its out on Thursday but as I’m a subscriber, recieved it early.

What would your Bond film have been like?

I learned quite a lot about myself working with Bond. I work in partnership with writers and I am not prepared to break it up. We were working very, very well, but they didnt want to go down that route.

So we decided to part company, and it would be unfair of me to say what it was because I dont know what Cary is going to do.

I got a very nice message from him and I gave him my best wishes... it is just a great shame.

What John Hodge and I were doing, I thought, was really good. It wasnt finished, but it could have been really good. You have to believe in your process and part of that is the partnership I have with a writer. Its like saying “Hey, we are going to give you a different editor...”. Those fundamental partnership are vital.

Which of your projects that have fallen by the wayside do you most regret not doing?

The Bowie film that we talked about.... and the Bond, actually, because our version of it was good. Those are the two that kind of haunt you. They could have been really good.
    Too bad we will never see boyles bond film ever
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 2019 Posts: 5,869
    Mallory wrote: »
    Danny Boyle is interviewed in the May issue of Empire Magazine (UK)[/i]
    Very professional comments. it's interesting that all this time Eon and Boyle have remained so professional but so many people want to jump on bandwagons and say... this person ruined it and oh this person ruined it when really it just wasn't the right fit and both parties have done what they needed to in the process.
    Interesting. He's essentially affirming he left over refusal to let someone else work on Hodge's script.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited March 2019 Posts: 2,541
    "Hey we are going to give you a different editor" I don't understand, what does that mean exactly? Can someone explain that specific line.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    "Hey we are going to give you a different editor" I don't understand, what does that mean exactly? Can someone explain that specific line.
    He pretty much confirms Baz's scoop that EON wanted to bring on a different writer.
    Eon can never let a director or writer fully put out their vision. Even Mendes.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Tuck91 wrote: »

I hate to say it, but maybe thats why we’re all still here 56 years after Dr No, eagerly awaiting the 25th adventure...
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    It's funny cause didn't Mendes fully support (maybe even come up with) the brother-gate situation...
    Well handled by Boyle. Answered with dignity and decorum. Very professional!
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Denbigh wrote: »
    It's funny cause didn't Mendes fully support (maybe even come up with) the brother-gate situation...
    I believe he even said that was the hook that brought him back.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited March 2019 Posts: 4,043
    Minion wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I believe he even said that was the hook that brought him back.

He called in a depth charge if I remember rightly, he actually thought fans would be surprised by it, not even getting into being horrified that they'd taken Bond's most notorious nemesis and boiled it down to a childhood spat.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 3,168
    After watching "The problem with modern blockbusters," on YT I am concerned.

Lack of ingenuity...

"The studio heads or producers want power over their character and want a director who contributes to their vision without delivering something they might have passion in. That's why they get these young inexperienced directors they think they can manipulate into making the exact film that they want, without giving the movie any kind of flourish"

So before B25 Fukunaga has directed only one full feature film and only got the gig because of too many "creative differences" with the first (experienced) director assigned?

Please tell me where this guy is wrong:
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    Zekidk wrote: »
    After watching "The problem with modern blockbusters," on YT
    So before B25 Fukunaga has directed only one full feature film and only got the gig because of too many "creative differences" with the first (experienced) director assigned?

I think they're going the right way with Fukunaga. Before GoldenEye, Martin Campbell was also a low profile director with a lot of experience on TV and his films weren't much appreciated by the critics: Criminal Law, Defenseless and No Escape had lukewarm reviews. Both of them share the huge success of a solid TV feature: Edge of Darkness in the case of Campbell, and True Detective in the case of Fukunaga.

I prefer EON very much going with a talented low profile or little known cast and crew for their films over "oscarized" directors and actors. It was a good swap, considering Boyle with his desire to kill Bond was a bit "out of order", as Dimitri Mishkin would have put it.
    and the Bond, actually, because our version of it was good. Those are the two that kind of haunt you. They could have been really good.[/i]
    Wow. One of Britain's most talented directors was eager to do a Bond film. He didn't need any convincing, quite the contrary, he was the one who approached EON and not the other way around! Not only that, he was very happy with the script (although they did not have the opportunity to finish it).

What have you done, Barbara? :(

I hate to say it, but maybe thats why we’re all still here 56 years after Dr No, eagerly awaiting the 25th adventure...

+1.

If the James Bond films were a country, EON would be the citizens and the director, screenwriters and even the leading Bond actor would be foreigners on transits. Like, they can stay, but MGW and BB are the bosses and they write the law.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 3,168
    I prefer EON very much going with a talented low profile or little known cast and crew for their films over "oscarized" directors and actors. It was a good swap, considering Boyle with his desire to kill Bond was a bit "out of order", as Dimitri Mishkin would have put it.

But it is in the compromise that beauty happens. Another quote from the video. The director, Chris Miller, says:

"Part of the creative proces is having someone at your side challenging your ideas, because it means that your best stuff gets through and your mediocre stuff gets challenged, and in that conversation we usually arrive at a third even better option."

I find it hard to believe that Boyle, with his experience, had no intention of making any compromises.

But it is in the compromise that beauty happens. Another quote from the video. The director, Chris Miller, says:

"Part of the creative proces is having someone at your side challenging your ideas, because it means that your best stuff gets through and your mediocre stuff gets challenged, and in that conversation we usually arrive at a third even better option."

I find it hard to believe that Boyle, with his experience, had no intention of making any compromises.

Then please make Bond 25 a "mediocre" film like DN-CR;SP, I'm tired of complex and philosophical Bond films made for film students as the Forster and Boyle things. At least in SPECTRE there was the aknowledgement that we needed the old formula back.

As for "someone challenging your ideas" that could mean the death of Bond, a female Bond, a black Bond or anything that the tabloids are dreaming of. Happy to see Michael and Barbara supervising everything and having the last word. That was Cubby's advice.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Well it seems to be the case, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but it does hault any chance of a partnership. If we’re speaking from history, it seems Eon are more likely to compromise than Boyle, seeing as Boyle has mostly had control over his own projects, and Eon have seemed to really allow directors to follow their vision, with some exceptions here and there.
    and the Bond, actually, because our version of it was good. Those are the two that kind of haunt you. They could have been really good.[/i]
    Wow. One of Britain's most talented directors was eager to do a Bond film. He didn't need any convincing, quite the contrary, he was the one who approached EON and not the other way around! Not only that, he was very happy with the script (although they did not have the opportunity to finish it).

What have you done, Barbara? :(

made sure we got a good bond film and I applaud her

As for "someone challenging your ideas" that could mean the death of Bond, a female Bond, a black Bond or anything that the tabloids are dreaming of. Happy to see Michael and Barbara supervising everything and having the last word. That was Cubby's advice.
    That's far fetched. Of course, if Boyle insisted killing Bond, after BB's "no we can't have that, let's find a third option we both can work with", he had to go.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 104
    Well, guys, I think I should share this with you. I write the newsletters for the Swiss James Bond Club. Most of the time it’s enough to keep up with this thread to get my content. Of course I also have to focus on specially Swiss incidents and I search for more substantial tidbits. Sometimes I find something small, like another photo of an already known occasion. Sometimes someone is just faster with sharing what I discovered. This time though I might have hit something. Something everyone is eager to know. I won’t share the exact way how I learned this, as it might bring trouble to the person responsible for it and … seriously, I know EON might read this and I don’t want to lose this opportunity of getting to know things. ;)
    However, what I saw might be a little bit disappointing and I wish it turns out to be false. Although the way I discovered it and the fact it got deleted immediately after I contacted the person in charge of the content might bring some value to it. Because what I saw was the title of a movie by a company named B25 Productions. And I think it’s just fair to share with you what it said, after all the years I just got the benefit from you sharing news. As I was able to state in my newsletter yesterday, there’s quite a chance the title for Bond 25 will be this:
    ECLIPSE!

And now I’m really looking forward to the press conference to find out whether my detective skills are any good. :)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 2019 Posts: 5,869
    Spoiler tags @Station_Z

Not everyone’s gonna wanna know it, if it’s true.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Interesting. Not sure if I like the title or dislike it as I was hoping for a three or four word phrase derived from an idiom or a motto, but it's interesting. Sounds quite sinister, if I may add.

Re: Boyle. I'm very glad he's out. And again, I will say this: Good riddance, sir.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 6,677
    That would be very underwhelming. Eclipse?

Wow, how creative... How unbondian, and another one word title. Bah, this, the electric Rapide (what a boring car, from a brand that has launched the best new cars in the market in the last year), and Boyle being adamant that his film would be very good, although that doesn't change my opinion on him as a filmmaker, makes for a very down day indeed. We need some positive stuff. Something. Anything.