No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Very VERY good news in my opinion if Bier is directing bond 25 I would be extremely happy heck I would bring on the composer and writer as well as some of its stars.

And while some might say she was pedantic look at John glen who managed to do 4 amazing films and only one poor one (A view to a kill)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Without any substantial cast and crew announcements for Bond 25, this is what we'll be stuck with indefinitely. Just endless news reports about this person being sought and this other one being flushed out, and on and on and on.

The Night Manager has apparently taken the world by storm, and it appears that everyone from the program is now in talks for Bond 25, just because it's the newest thing out there that's got a spy buzz attached to it. I can see the baseless future headlines now:

"Corbould Out, Night Manager Effects Man In"

"Powell Replaced by Night Manager Stunt-Coordinator"

"Night Manager Writer in Talks to Pen Script for 25th Bond Film"

"Hugh Laurie Next Bond Villain? Actor Spotted Having Meet-Up With Bond Heads"

I wouldn't actually mind seeing that last one someday, but you get my point.
    Shrugs I hope it's true... But I might be the only one the night manager was far better then spectre
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Don't know what to make of this. On the one hand it's a very different approach to how EoN have chosen directors traditionally but secondly, I feel this is a rather lazy choice from EoN. EoN yet again are jumping on the bandwagon of what's been a relative recent success and want to exploit that, going back to shallow stunt hiring instead of really putting in the graft to go for the best person for the job. Now, that's not to say it doesn't make sense but at this point EoN should be above such a rather underwhelming approach.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited May 2016 Posts: 4,116
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Shrugs I hope it's true... But I might be the only one the night manager was far better then spectre

Watching paint dry is better than SP.

I'm sure if they are that EoN is interviewing more than one director. They seem to usually narrow down a short list. Chill.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Susanna Bier is an Oscar winning director, isn't she? One of her films won the Oscar for best foreign film a few years ago.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I liked The Night Manager. But, is it THAT great? Sometimes, I just don't get the hype some of the majority are taking... Like the hype with Skyfall, for example.
    I liked The Night Manager. But, is it THAT great? Sometimes, I just don't get the hype some of the majority are taking... Like the hype with Skyfall, for example.

We get easily worked up. Like a mob sometimes ...other times like a drunk bar crowd.

edited May 2016 Posts: 15,423
    mcdonbb wrote: »

We get easily worked up. Like a mob sometimes ...other times like a drunk bar crowd.
    That, we do, sometimes. But, other times, it's like... something is out, and it's becoming popular, and everyone gets to be worshiping it as if it's the eighth long lost world wonder, when it's in its actuality average-to-good with the quality of its measurements. The hype is given like the psyche of moving mountains... Or perhaps it's just me living in the land of grump.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    In other news:
    It was just revealed that Mr. Hiddleston isn't British but in fact Texan!
    If you don't believe it tap on @mcdonbb 's new avatar!
    A scandal!
    In other news:
    A scandal!
    Peter Sellers, a British actor, did play a Texan. ;)
    In other news:
    A scandal!

:)) ..I knew if I kept commenting someone would catch that! Lol thanks
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 9,778
    You know looking at bier's filmography isn't as different to Mendes as many think...

Serena, and Things we lost in the fire both show case a director who is far more then the night manager.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I've seen Brødre (aka Brothers). Didn't think it was bad, but it was definitely no masterpiece either. A bit too much schmaltz. After Spectre I'm sure I don't think that's what Bond needs.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    @Doubleoego I'd take it with a grain of salt. No reason to get worked up over it.
    Think of all the good press Bond & Eon would get for the first women director for Bond
    You know looking at bier's filmography isn't as different to Mendes as many think...

Serena, and Things we lost in the fire both show case a director who is far more then the night manager.

Mendes had directed Road to Perdition and Jarhead. Has she ever directed any kind of action scene? Last time they hired an acclaimed European director without an action background, we got Marc Forster. Cough.

I know its just rumorville at this point, but it is kind of depressing if EON are looking at a TV series and are thinking "Make Bond like this!"
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Soderbergh is a very economical director, I bet the movie only takes about 30 days to shoot. And since it looks like an ensemble cast kind of thing, DC probably does 15-20 of those days? It will have very little to do with his Bond scheduling.

Making a feature in 30 days!? Who is this guy, Ed Wood!?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Mike#Filming
    Principal photography commenced in Playa del Rey, Los Angeles in September 2011[30] and concluded in Tampa by late October.

Mendes had directed Road to Perdition and Jarhead. Has she ever directed any kind of action scene? Last time they hired an acclaimed European director without an action background, we got Marc Forster. Cough.

I know its just rumorville at this point, but it is kind of depressing if EON are looking at a TV series and are thinking "Make Bond like this!"

The night manager had quite a few action sequences.
    Bounine wrote: »
    "And to those pundits who are predicting which direction the series will take post-Craig, Mendes had this piece of advice:"I can guarantee whatever happens with it, it will not be what you expect. That's what [Barbara Broccoli's] been brilliant at, and that's how it'll survive.""

He said regarding the franchise: "...it will not be what you expect." Not: "...who you expect."

Who knows how serious Mendes is being. Maybe he doesn't like how all the media thinks that they know what's happening, hence this comment. Or his comments may have real validity.

In an interview for Deadline back in November, Mendes said something very similar. Here it is:

"DEADLINE: There are all these rumors you and Daniel Craig are done. That would leave the producers with a changed franchise, and the need to find a new actor and filmmaker. In the past, all they needed was to suit up a new actor, give him a villain to chase, and cue the opening theme.

MENDES: I grew up on Dr. Who, and its ideas of regeneration. People say, “Well, once you’ve acknowledged time passing and Bond getting older and characters dying, how do you continue the franchise?” And the answer is you regenerate, and you have to be as brave as when they cast Daniel, and when they let M die. They have to go off in a completely different direction, into regenerating mythology. You cast a new actor and find a new director, and make something totally new. I can, off the top of my head, give you three or four ideas for where it could go next. They’re all daring and big. To me, the enemy is repetition and laziness, and the great danger is not challenging the preexisting format. These are my two chapters of the Bond myth. Someone else is going to write a chapter or 10 or 50, because Bond is strong enough for that, and because there’s enough to play with."

Perhaps this is not just the usual 'expect the unexpected' phrase, there might be something substantial behind this. EON might actually try and do something completely new and original with the series.
    Without judging Mendes as a director, the man says nothing but horse dung in interviews. He speaks about acknowledging Bond getting older, when in fact Bond looks much younger again in SP.
    And what is that about regenerating mythology? WTF? If you want to create new myths you don´t take on a ****ing franchise that has one singular protagonist.

All the criticisms that I now hear about Mendes after SP are exactly the ones I was making after SF. The man never really got Bond IMO.

People say SP was a step backwards to 90s Bond and I agree in many respects. SP is largely a tick box exercise.

However, SP is a superior quality pastiche to the rubbish that EON was churning out back in the nineties.

For me SF clearly showed Mendes intended direction and SP was entirely predictable. Having said that, I actually much prefer his second film to his first, which I find almost unwatchable. My expectation is that neither of them will have the watchability and rewatch quality of the Cubby era films though, and that time will judge CR and QOS to be better Bond films.
    It really annoys me all the unfair flack that Spectre receives. Classic Bond flick imo with the best 007 ever.
    Well with the way she Directed "The Night Manager" I would have no problem with her giving Bond a crack!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Another day, another new story. Personally I think it's far too early to worry about new Bonds or directors or writers at this point.
    Pre production may be taking place, and meetings going on with various parties. But without a studio to distribute not a lot is going to happen.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    It really annoys me all the unfair flack that Spectre receives. Classic Bond flick imo with the best 007 ever.
    LeChiffre wrote: »

This.
    Benny wrote: »
    Another day, another new story. Personally I think it's far too early to worry about new Bonds or directors or writers at this point.
    Pre production may be taking place, and meetings going on with various parties. But without a studio to distribute not a lot is going to happen.

This. Perfectly said.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 4,116
    dalton wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »

This. Perfectly said.

Ditto ..BUT more seems to be happening than I assumed.
    Please NO! Her last movie, Serena was a HUGE flop. She would be a big step down from the great Sam Mendes (then again, that can be said about the vast majority of active directors)...
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Getafix wrote: »
    All the criticisms that I now hear about Mendes after SP are exactly the ones I was making after SF. The man never really got Bond IMO.

People say SP was a step backwards to 90s Bond and I agree in many respects. SP is largely a tick box exercise.

However, SP is a superior quality pastiche to the rubbish that EON was churning out back in the nineties.

For me SF clearly showed Mendes intended direction and SP was entirely predictable. Having said that, I actually much prefer his second film to his first, which I find almost unwatchable. My expectation is that neither of them will have the watchability and rewatch quality of the Cubby era films though, and that time will judge CR and QOS to be better Bond films.
    I agree with you, although I personally prefer SF to SP, which indeed is typical pastiche in my eyes as well, but which actually was done better during the Brosnan era with TND imho (I can't believe I just said that).

Still, I agree that it's time to move on. Mendes was an interesting diversion for the Craig era and perhaps fit with Craig's take on the character, but I'm open to fresh beginnings and a back to basics approach, and hopefully that's what we get next time out.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited May 2016 Posts: 40,492

Funny how someone with literally no background in filming action sequences delivered them 100% better than an acclaimed director who did have prior experience with it.