No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• DisneyBond007DisneyBond007 Welwyn Garden City
    In other news: Clara Lane, the creator of the BBC comedy show Bread, has died.
    Please NO! Her last movie, Serena was a HUGE flop. She would be a big step down from the great Sam Mendes (then again, that can be said about the vast majority of active directors)...

True, this. How do you make a movie with Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper and it turns out so poorly no distributor wants to touch it? She's had zero box office success with her western films - Things we lost in the fire, and Love is all you need (starring James Bond!).

Again, assuming there's any truth to it, it would be stunningly bizarre choice. Giving a low key director who specializes in quiet romance/tragedy/family drama films a $200 million(+) blockbuster that has to deliver massive cutting edge action sequences...is...odd.
  • Susanna Bier in talks to direct next Bond film?

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-05-31/night-manager-director-in-the-frame-to-take-over-james-bond-films-from-sam-mendes

GettyImages-521441726.0.jpg

I hope I'm not the only person who was underwhelmed by The Night Manager. It was pedestrianly executed and a totally middling and uninspired piece of Sunday night tripe. It was the most passé and routine spy drama I'd seen in years. Bier's job was merely adequate.

A woman!

(I'm not proud of myself, but somebody had to...)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    A woman!

(I'm not proud of myself, but somebody had to...)
    One of Sir Rog's finest moments as Bond.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Shame On you we have a Woman producer so why not have a woman director and if it is to be Susanna then at least she's got the talent to give us a good film what's not to like .
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Some_Kind_Of_Hero, no judging from me. Someone had to drop the line; it's a must.

I'm waiting for the day when a beautiful woman calls for me to stay with an "I need you" so I can look back as I go out the door and say, "So does England!" The quote would obviously work better context-wise if I was indeed in England, but anyway...
    LOL, I know. I don't mind a woman directing Bond. Hell, I'd be stoked if they got Kathryn Bigelow. But it would make Bond a political issue, and I DO mind the inevitable two years worth of thinkpieces, backlash, and "Can a woman 'get' Bond?" and "Is Bond a feminist?" articles and arguments that it would produce. I just want two hours of light entertainment.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited May 2016 Posts: 12,459
    I don't know Biers' work, but it is interesting - EON may well be ready for a female director. No problem with any gender; just make it a damn fine director. Kathryn Bigelow was talked about a while back. She is a good director. Just found this: http://variety.com/2016/film/columns/james-bond-daniel-craig-sam-mendes-kathryn-bigelow-1201785140/

I am skimming threads quickly this a.m. before work; sorry if someone already posted this.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Hell, I'd be stoked if they got Kathryn Bigelow.
    Now that would be great imho.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited May 2016 Posts: 12,459
    That little Variety article is nice. I hope Kathryn gets EON's attention, I really do.
    I don't agree with their assessment of Spectre, though. ;) Still, to this day, I love Skyfall and really enjoy Spectre. Different tone, but Spectre is a good Bond film and solid entertainment. All my opinion, yada yada. So many on here are happy to bash Spectre again and again; I don't see it like that at all.

How many of us are sick of the term "reboot"? Of course the next film will be different ... how different is totally up in the air still. I think too early to call it a "reboot" as a done deal, though.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Getafix wrote: »
    All the criticisms that I now hear about Mendes after SP are exactly the ones I was making after SF. The man never really got Bond IMO.

People say SP was a step backwards to 90s Bond and I agree in many respects. SP is largely a tick box exercise.

However, SP is a superior quality pastiche to the rubbish that EON was churning out back in the nineties.

For me SF clearly showed Mendes intended direction and SP was entirely predictable. Having said that, I actually much prefer his second film to his first, which I find almost unwatchable. My expectation is that neither of them will have the watchability and rewatch quality of the Cubby era films though, and that time will judge CR and QOS to be better Bond films.

I think you maybe right. I think SF is a better movie than SP overall but yeah, the rewatchability of these 2 are practically non existent and don't hold a candle to the films that came before.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    bondjames wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    All the criticisms that I now hear about Mendes after SP are exactly the ones I was making after SF. The man never really got Bond IMO.

People say SP was a step backwards to 90s Bond and I agree in many respects. SP is largely a tick box exercise.

However, SP is a superior quality pastiche to the rubbish that EON was churning out back in the nineties.

For me SF clearly showed Mendes intended direction and SP was entirely predictable. Having said that, I actually much prefer his second film to his first, which I find almost unwatchable. My expectation is that neither of them will have the watchability and rewatch quality of the Cubby era films though, and that time will judge CR and QOS to be better Bond films.
    I agree with you, although I personally prefer SF to SP, which indeed is typical pastiche in my eyes as well, but which actually was done better during the Brosnan era with TND imho (I can't believe I just said that).

Still, I agree that it's time to move on. Mendes was an interesting diversion for the Craig era and perhaps fit with Craig's take on the character, but I'm open to fresh beginnings and a back to basics approach, and hopefully that's what we get next time out.

My sentiments exactly.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    I'd welcome this and it's progressive. We should see more woman getting a shot at directing big films such as this - it's rather shocking how few do get the opportunity (save for the odd few like Katherine Bigelow, Mimi Leder and Patty Jenkins). Plus I rather enjoyed The Night Manager which had a far smaller budget, a lot less action and yet still managed to be more exciting than Spectre (but that's just my opinion).
  • I'm actually not at all familiar with Bier's work, but I'd be all for the right kind of woman getting the job. Kathryn Bigelow, as you've all mentioned, could make a killer Bond film. I just saw Strange Days the other day, and apart from being let down a bit by a somewhat disappointing ending, that's one smashing dark action thriller (starring Ralph Fiennes at the top of his game no less).
    Eon would be striking gold if they get Kathryn Bigelow
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Eon would be striking gold if they get Kathryn Bigelow
    "Big" is in her name, after all.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    LOL, I know. I don't mind a woman directing Bond. Hell, I'd be stoked if they got Kathryn Bigelow. But it would make Bond a political issue, and I DO mind the inevitable two years worth of thinkpieces, backlash, and "Can a woman 'get' Bond?" and "Is Bond a feminist?" articles and arguments that it would produce. I just want two hours of light entertainment.
    I don't think we'd have this issue after all the main prodcer is a woman and we have been accepting her since the very beginning so a female director won't be a big deal

• DisneyBond007DisneyBond007 Welwyn Garden City
    Szonana wrote: »
    I don't think we'd have this issue after all the main prodcer is a woman and we have been accepting her since the very beginning so a female director won't be a big deal

Indeed!
    Please NO! Her last movie, Serena was a HUGE flop. She would be a big step down from the great Sam Mendes (then again, that can be said about the vast majority of active directors)...

True, this. How do you make a movie with Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper and it turns out so poorly no distributor wants to touch it? She's had zero box office success with her western films - Things we lost in the fire, and Love is all you need (starring James Bond!).

Again, assuming there's any truth to it, it would be stunningly bizarre choice. Giving a low key director who specializes in quiet romance/tragedy/family drama films a $200 million(+) blockbuster that has to deliver massive cutting edge action sequences...is...odd.
    Are you talking about Bier or Mendes?

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,690
    Giving a low key director who specializes in quiet romance/tragedy/family drama films a $200 million(+) blockbuster that has to deliver massive cutting edge action sequences...is...odd.

Mendes has also come very short in terms of action sequences, in comparison with CR and QOS. I respect what he was trying to do with his films, but after CR and QOS set the bar so high in terms of making Craig's Bond an action Hero with a capital H, he dropped the ball big time.
  • RC7RC7
    Giving a low key director who specializes in quiet romance/tragedy/family drama films a $200 million(+) blockbuster that has to deliver massive cutting edge action sequences...is...odd.

Mendes has also come very short in terms of action sequences, in comparison with CR and QOS. I respect what he was trying to do with his films, but after CR and QOS set the bar so high in terms of making Craig's Bond an action Hero with a capital H, he dropped the ball big time.

The opening of SF is head and shoulders above anything in QoS.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The elevator fight and the Slate fight from QOS is for me Craig Bond at his most badass. Yes the SF PTS is impressive but it's very vanilla, IMO. The fight on top of the train at the end is a big load of nothing compared to the 2 fights I mentioned, or the stairwell fight in CR. Craig was extremely rugged in his first 2 films, it's simply not there in SF's and SP's action scenes.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    The elevator fight and the Slate fight from QOS is for me Craig Bond at his most badass. Yes the SF PTS is impressive but it's very vanilla, IMO. The fight on top of the train at the end is a big load of nothing compared to the 2 fights I mentioned, or the stairwell fight in CR. Craig was extremely rugged in his first 2 films, it's simply not there in SF's and SP's action scenes.

It definitely is during the SP train fight.
  • RC7RC7

Horses for courses. The Slate fight does nothing for me, it's just riffing on Bourne. I much prefer the stairwell fight in CR, which doesn't pitch Bond as some sort of super soldier. Yes, there's more refinement from SF on, but I like that in my Bond. Just to add, the original comment was about 'action scenes' in general, hence my comment about the SF PTS. The others you mention are fight scenes.
    That I agree with, the SP train fight is fantastic and just like CR's and QOS'. But one 3 minutes fight in almost 5 hours of runtime is cutting it very short, as far as I'm concerned.
  • RC7RC7
    That I agree with, the SP train fight is fantastic and just like CR's and QOS'. But one 3 minutes fight in almost 5 hours of runtime is cutting it very short, as far as I'm concerned.

The SF Skyscraper fight is also impressive, imo, and unlike the two QoS fights you mention it is somewhat original, rather than Bourne-lite.
    Too bad the SF skyscraper fight ends on a very bad note - the very fake looking fall of Patrice's body, compared to the brilliant way it looked in the trailers, because it was a very artistic and atmospheric fight.
  • RC7RC7
    Too bad the SF skyscraper fight ends on a very bad note - the very fake looking fall of Patrice's body, compared to the brilliant way it looked in the trailers, because it was a very artistic and moody fight.

Yeah, odd that they did that.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 1,661
    Kathryn Bigelow has zero chance of ever directing a Bond film.

Name an American director of an EON James Bond film?

Precisely! ;))

You got more chance of the ghost of Kevin McClory making Thunderball part 3 than an American director helming a Bond film.
    Who's Susanna Bier? Don't know who she is. I know who Susanne Bier is, she directed The Night Manager.