No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    This is truly wishful thinking as he hasn't mentioned Bond in over a year, but hopefully we get some news from Baz Bamigboye in the next few hours.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    jake24 wrote: »
    This is truly wishful thinking as he hasn't mentioned Bond in over a year, but hopefully we get some news from Baz Bamigboye in the next few hours.

Few hours? And suddenly things get interesting. :D
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    jake24 wrote: »

Few hours? And suddenly things get interesting. :D
    If I'm not mistaken he releases an article every Thursday. But like I said, wishful thinking.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    B25 is just in early development if even that. We've probably discussed B25 more here than they have.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    B25 is just in early development if even that. We've probably discussed B25 more here than they have.

True. But then again, we watch Bond films and they just produce them.
    She's met with Bell about another project, not Bond.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Thank Christ for that [-O<
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    Im willing to put good money on the fact that Eon know what their doing wait and see .

I would agree with this as well. They've only botched the casting of Bond once IMO, and that was long before Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson took over the franchise. Some have been better than others, but they usually get the right guy in the right moment.

As for other aspects of the franchise, they could do far better, but in the one area where it really counts, they've been pretty darn good.

Now, of course, that could change if they cast certain actors among the current shortlist of people, but since they haven't yet, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until they actually mess it up.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Perhaps that's what she met Hiddles for too then?
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    The still smal voice of calm grows stronger with your post thanks dalton.
    bondjames wrote: »

You know that actually makes sense and is possible. Bond isn't their only project.

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The calming medication has started to kick in :D
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    We've probably discussed B25 more here than they have.

=)) You Texan's just have the best humour. And accent. And barbeque. And rodeos.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 11,425
    What's with all the anti Bell comments? He never occurred to me but it doesn't sound like the worst suggestion that's been made. The comments I've read here just remind me of the anti Craig nonsense when he was originally cast. So he doesn't look like Hoagie Carmichael or whoever?! Neither did any of the other Bond actors, least of all Craig, who has been one of the most successful. Who cares really what the actor looks like as long as they bring some acting chops and screen presence! If Babs sees potential in Bell I am prepared to put some faith in her, because her casting choice with Craig was totally left field and a master stroke. That is one thing she does actually seem to have a good sense for.

I personally am well up for a period younger Bond. CR only really hinted at rookie Bond. Why not go the whole hog and go back to Bond in the late forties or fifties, just after WW2? Awesome if done well.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 1,631

You know that actually makes sense and is possible. Bond isn't their only project.

That's been the media's MO for a while. Just because someone speaks to Barbara Broccoli doesn't mean that they're a candidate for Bond, as I've tried saying about a couple of the "candidates" we've heard about thus far. She supposedly spoke with Idris Elba back in 2012 about something, yet we haven't seen him don the tux yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of these supposed talks have been regarding Bond, but I'd imagine that they've been very cursory, more along the lines of simply seeing if the other party is interested in testing for the role when/if there is a vacancy and maybe talking about some very basic ideas about where the actor might be interested in taking the character. Since nothing else is happening on the Bond front, it doesn't hurt to use that time to plan for the future.
    What if they introduced Bond fully formed, and had a brief flashback to his time in the navy. Maybe getting disciplined by an officer, seeing that passion behind the eyes. I know its cliche, but just a thought. It would be a succinct back story, maybe only 5 minutes, if EON felt they needed one.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    +1.
    Getafix wrote: »
    What's with all the anti Bell comments? He never occurred to me but it doesn't sound like the worst suggestion that's been made. The comments I've read here just remind me of the anti Craig nonsense when he was originally cast. So he doesn't look like Hoagie Carmichael or whoever?! Neither did any of the other Bond actors, least of all Craig, who has been one of the most successful. Who cares really what the actor looks like as long as they bring some acting chops and screen presence!

I personally am well up for a period younger Bond. CR only really hinted at rookie Bond. Why not go the whole hog and go back to Bond in the late forties or fifties, just after WW2? Awesome if done well.
    Bond should always reflect the time that we live in.
    That was Fleming's philosophy and it should always remain.
  • GideonBondGideonBond MI20 HQ - Netherlands
    What if they introduced Bond fully formed, and had a brief flashback to his time in the navy. Maybe getting disciplined by an officer, seeing that passion behind the eyes. I know its cliche, but just a thought. It would be a succinct back story, maybe only 5 minutes, if EON felt they needed one.

This sounds like a great option to me. A change, but not too much of a change. I imagine if hypothetically Disney would take over, they would spoil the party with loads of spinoffs, such as young James Bond. To others this could be a plus, of course.
    dalton wrote: »

That's been the media's MO for a while. Just because someone speaks to Barbara Broccoli doesn't mean that they're a candidate for Bond, as I've tried saying about a couple of the "candidates" we've heard about thus far. She supposedly spoke with Idris Elba back in 2012 about something, yet we haven't seen him don the tux yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of these supposed talks have been regarding Bond, but I'd imagine that they've been very cursory, more along the lines of simply seeing if the other party is interested in testing for the role when/if there is a vacancy and maybe talking about some very basic ideas about where the actor might be interested in taking the character. Since nothing else is happening on the Bond front, it doesn't hurt to use that time to plan for the future.

Very true. They could have spoken about anything. Plus Cubby always had an eye out for a future Bond. Even if Babs is eyeing people up for the future doesn't mean she's done with Craig just yet.
    Getafix wrote: »
    dalton wrote: »

Very true. They could have spoken about anything. Plus Cubby always had an eye out for a future Bond. Even if Babs is eyeing people up for the future doesn't mean she's done with Craig just yet.

Exactly. They'd had Dalton eyed up many years before he actually got the part. Moore and Brosnan were in similar situations.

That's partially why I'm high on Rupert Friend. He's got that aspect of this going for him, that he's been under consideration by EON before, which is something that more of the post-Connery Bonds have in common than not.

We won't really know who the next Bond is going to be until they're very close to announcing it.
    GideonBond wrote: »

This sounds like a great option to me. A change, but not too much of a change. I imagine if hypothetically Disney would take over, they would spoil the party with loads of spinoffs, such as young James Bond. To others this could be a plus, of course.

Yeah, then straight back to present day. That way people are filled in, learn a bit, and there is a bridge between the character driven Craig era and the more story based films of Aidan Turner, sorry, Bond actor no. 7.
    Benny wrote: »
    I didn't say there was any reason for news. What I'm saying is that there is little we can rely on happening at the moment. Actually think about it. We don't know who will produce B25 (MGW may not be well enough), we don't know who will star, we don't know who will write, director etc. We don't even know who will distribute the f#cking thing.

When was the last time that the franchise was like this, when we couldn't at least assume certain things, like Craig would return and Sony would produce, P&W would write etc.? This isn't just the normal dip that we see between Bonds. I'm quite amazed by the fact that no one seems to have figured this out yet. From the looks of things, people still seem to be assuming that a new Bond film will just materialise out of thin air in 2 and a half years. That just plain isn't going to happen.

Just be thankful that you weren't around between 1989's Licence To Kill and the release of GoldenEye in 1995, six years later.
    And this was before the internet, so no discussions were going on. You just had to wait, with the occasional snippet of info in Empire regarding the next Bond film.
    Those were the days.

>:)

There was also Albert R. Broccoli putting Danjaq/Eon up for sale during that period. Also, the court fight with MGM. You read more about Bond in The Wall Street Journal than in entertainment publications.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yes with Dalton's tenure and after LTK ... that was a nervewracking, dire time! We have it easy now, compared to that.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I never believe any online press if it's not from EON directly. They probably asked him to be Dinbigh's lost cousin or something.

Well, the online press was correct about:

--Ralph Fiennes being cast in Skyfall.

--Javier Bardem being cast in Skyfall.

--M dying in Skyfall.

--John Logan being hired to write Bond 24 and Bond 25.

--Purvis & Wade being summoned to rewrite Logan

-- Waltz playing Blofeld in SPECTRE.

And some others.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---

Yeah, then straight back to present day. That way people are filled in, learn a bit, and there is a bridge between the character driven Craig era and the more story based films of Aidan Turner, sorry, Bond actor no. 7.

for the record, if aiming the spinoff gun at Disney is because of the various new Star Wars films they are producing, then you're way off course... Disney merely facilitates whatever LucasFilm has plans to do - what i mean is, Rogue One and the Young Han Solo movies were on the table before Disney was even on board... everything goes through Kathleen Kennedy at LucasFilm (who was appointed by Lucas himself as successor) before it moves up the ladder to Bob Iger over at Disney - in fact, George Lucas and Lawerence Kasdan had begun scratching the surface about doing a young Han Solo movie for years before George sold the rights....... contrary to popular belief - and i know a lot on here will aggressively disagree with me (but it's the truth), in regards to Marvel and Star Wars, Disney is very hands off... do they oversee and offer input? Of course they do - what big business doesn't - but in terms of meddling with crap just to get their way, it's just not the case...

but again, in terms of period piece Bond..... sorry, no dice - in fact, i would say that i would be severely disappointed if they did so, because that shows a complete lack of creativity in moving the character forward and keeping him contemporary - moving him backwards, what that says to me is "well, we bled this pig dry, might as well start all over again in the Cold War." .... moving backwards to move forward is dumbest idea ever... if you want period Bond, stick to the novels.... and one thing i don't want moving forward, is yet another 'Bond begins' - we got that with CR, and we've gotten 4 films from an actor who has more or less taken us on an origins adventure through 4 films, to get us back to where we all want Bond to be - seasoned, at his best, and in his element.... starting another origin story would be dumb - doing it back in the 50's would be both dumb and stupid.... and i am not calling anyone who feels they should, those things - i am calling the act of doing it so.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 4,116
    We've probably discussed B25 more here than they have.

=)) You Texan's just have the best humour. And accent. And barbeque. And rodeos.

Thank ya, partna :D ..

Y'all got us beat on chocolate, cheese, snow, languages, and banks. Beautiful country btw.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    HASEROT wrote: »

for the record, if aiming the spinoff gun at Disney is because of the various new Star Wars films they are producing, then you're way off course... Disney merely facilitates whatever LucasFilm has plans to do - what i mean is, Rogue One and the Young Han Solo movies were on the table before Disney was even on board... everything goes through Kathleen Kennedy at LucasFilm (who was appointed by Lucas himself as successor) before it moves up the ladder to Bob Iger over at Disney - in fact, George Lucas and Lawerence Kasdan had begun scratching the surface about doing a young Han Solo movie for years before George sold the rights....... contrary to popular belief - and i know a lot on here will aggressively disagree with me (but it's the truth), in regards to Marvel and Star Wars, Disney is very hands off... do they oversee and offer input? Of course they do - what big business doesn't - but in terms of meddling with crap just to get their way, it's just not the case...

but again, in terms of period piece Bond..... sorry, no dice - in fact, i would say that i would be severely disappointed if they did so, because that shows a complete lack of creativity in moving the character forward and keeping him contemporary - moving him backwards, what that says to me is "well, we bled this pig dry, might as well start all over again in the Cold War." .... moving backwards to move forward is dumbest idea ever... if you want period Bond, stick to the novels.... and one thing i don't want moving forward, is yet another 'Bond begins' - we got that with CR, and we've gotten 4 films from an actor who has more or less taken us on an origins adventure through 4 films, to get us back to where we all want Bond to be - seasoned, at his best, and in his element.... starting another origin story would be dumb - doing it back in the 50's would be both dumb and stupid.... and i am not calling anyone who feels they should, those things - i am calling the act of doing it so.

Co-signed!
    Well, if its true that DC is finally gone, hopefully that means things will move quicker from now on.
    As expected, nothing from Baz tonight.