No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited September 2018 Posts: 19,339

Charming.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Now what have we done?
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    edited September 2018 Posts: 292
    It is worth pointing out...

Directors like Rian Johnson do not just start their first film after THE LAST JEDI on a last minute whim because some cast members are allegedly now available. The details and casting are scheduled and locked down. Daniel Craig's involvement in that production would not have come from nowhere and has double-zero bearing on his more famous role right now.

Also, when the interwebs get 'details' about the scheduling of a project and its shooting time that can also often have double-zero bearing on the reality of when and where something is actually turning the cameras, where and why.

Never use any previous film to judge the timings, announcements and parameters of a future one. It doesn't work like that.

When a headline about a production hits and gets fans in a panic groove, that has - again - double-zero linkage to where a film is actually at at any given time.

Lastly, patience draws the prize.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    @skullkrusher Watch your language. Pretty uncalled for.
    jake24 wrote: »
    @skullkrusher Watch your language. Pretty uncalled for.
    We truly have the most patient moderators. Huge respect.
  • I find it astonishing that @Pierce2Daniel and @doubleoego do not trust the people who run this site. That's all.

That be the same as saying to you that I'm astonished you don't have faith in Eon to deliver Bond 25.

It's all relative.

But I feel we are burying the lead here. Unless, MI6 want to come forward with an article explaining their vague tweets, the real story here is 'Knives Out'.

The likelihood is that Bond 25 will be delayed till 2020. I think Eon will announce a new director and release date in the new year.

Personally, I wish they'd just say the film is delayed in a press release. All the signs are pointing to a delay:

1.) Both Variety and The Hollywood Reporter have stated that it will miss the 2019 date.
    2.) The Terminator reboot has already shuffled it's release date to capitalise on Bond 25 dropping out of 2019.
    3.) Daniel Craig has signed on for a new film that starts production at the same time Bond 25 was meant to be filming.
    4.) There has been no news for over two weeks on Boyle's replacement.

I guess Eon will want to hire someone worthy of following Boyle and give the news cycle time to recover following his resignation. I guess that means the Hodge/Boyle script is axed and they start over.

I personally reckon they should ditch their current script and just reboot. Get Edgar Wright to write/direct and introduce a new Bond. Make the tone more fun and escapist.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Lots of different opinions a viewpoints here. I quite like it. I wish everyone here could take a step back and realise debate is good, and that getting worked up because someone decided to challenge you is quite silly.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Lots of different opinions a viewpoints here. I quite like it. I wish everyone here could take a step back and realise debate is good, and that getting worked up because someone decided to challenge you is quite silly.
    I agree. Nicely put. We are enriched by the varied perspectives brought forward by the membership here. It's always fascinating for me to read the contrasting viewpoints. We all love this franchise, but come at this with our own history, fandom and opinions.

I honestly don't know what to believe at this point, but it's been an exciting and surprising journey since SP wrapped up. I'm reasonably sure we'll have even more surprises in store for us over the upcoming year, if history is any guide.

I'm still hoping they get B25 out for the promised date. That's the one thing which hasn't changed since July 2017, so I continue to believe it's still the plan. Media stories are popping up suggesting an inevitable pushback but let's hope that's not the case.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 19,339
    I personally reckon they should ditch their current script and just reboot. Get Edgar Wright to write/direct and introduce a new Bond. Make the tone more fun and escapist.

+1

Totally agree with this.

• JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited September 2018 Posts: 1,318
    barryt007 wrote: »

+1

Totally agree with this.

Agree with reboot, but I choose Nolan + Aidan Turner, preferably a 60s trilogy of some sort. I really have no patience anymore for half arsed attempts like Spectre.
    Just a theory but could rian Johnson be the director of b25? The title "knifes are out" could be a smokescreen. Also the title could be an up yours gesture to the internet trolls who dissed last Jedi which I loved BTW.
    Shrugs I just want a new bond movie
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 11,425

I actually think this is the much needed dose of reality salts we’ve been waiting for. This is a fan site. Half the fun is knocking around daft ideas. We don’t need po-faced reminders about how the film industry ‘really-works’ or people getting uptight about some perceived offence caused to EON or Daniel Craig.

And we wouldn’t be fans if we weren’t a bit exasperated at the current state of affairs. We have to recognise people come here to vent a bit of frustration as well as to celebrate Bond.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    Just a theory but could rian Johnson be the director of b25? The title "knifes are out" could be a smokescreen. Also the title could be an up yours gesture to the internet trolls who dissed last Jedi which I loved BTW.

I, too, loved The Last Jedi and I'm baffled by people who criticise him for things such as depressed Luke when they were, in fact, Lucas and Abrams ideas. I don't know whether he is a Bond fan, but I'd be quite happy if he were chosen.
  • LeChiffre wrote: »

Oh my.

I love this theory. Too much - lol.
  • RC7RC7
    edited September 2018 Posts: 10,512
    Getafix wrote: »

I actually think this is the much needed dose of reality salts we’ve been waiting for. This is a fan site. Half the fun is knocking around daft ideas. We don’t need po-faced reminders about how the film industry ‘really-works’ or people getting uptight about some perceived offence caused to EON or Daniel Craig.

And we wouldn’t be fans if we weren’t a bit exasperated at the current state of affairs. We have to recognise people come here to vent a bit of frustration as well as to celebrate Bond.

Every time I google the news I half expect to see that a ‘Lone Wolf’ has committed mass murder at the E.ON HQ in Coventry.

Mod edit: very inflammatory comment deleted.
    love it.
  • RC7 wrote: »
    Every time I google the news I half expect to see that a ‘Lone Wolf’ has committed mass murder at the E.ON HQ in Coventry.

“The shooter, who goes by the pseudonym ‘Panchito Pistoles’, claimed it was an accident and quote: ‘Couldn’t f***ing believe he’d done it again’. Pistoles, who’s been on the run from police for 48 hours, is also wanted in connection with an arson attack on a Broccolli farm.”

"The shooter is believed to have sent a love letter to Christopher Nolan, telling him 'We can be together after I take care of the last thing preventing our union.' and 'Please invite Tom Hardy to our rendezvous'. Authorities have refused to comment on the existence of the letter, but our sources tell us it is genuine.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    //The three years were wasted by the distributor haggling, we have no information on how Eon spent them.//

Sure we do. It made Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool, Nancy, The Rhythm Section and something titled Trauma Is a Time Machine.

Meanwhile, I think it was MGM that was in charge of the distributor haggling, with Eon consulted.

'Trauma Is a Time Machine' is an award winning film by Babs daughter, also featuring DC's daughter.
    Fascinating. I've wondered whether Bab's daughter has any interest in taking over at EON, but judging by her choice of material I seriously doubt it. Who knows though in the future.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.

barryt007 wrote: »

+1

Totally agree with this.

If only.
    What is this about the Hodge/Boyle script being a game changer and "It would have given Craig´s tenure some contrast"? The only thing making sense in that context would have been a film not focussed on Bond´s inner problems. Otherwise Craig´s tenure is a paradigm of contrast.

boldfinger wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    However, the posters on here want to believe what they want to believe. And that's their right. Just doesn't make it right-- as in reality. In reality DC will continue to be admired as a skilled actor, and will remain as such, long after these Mi6 posters pass out from all their pouting and shouting down of others.
    @peter, reality has it that some people act very much according to the clinical description of a narcissist, on these boards as well as outside the internet. It´s a pain in the bottom, but it would be wrong to let oneself be intimidated by such individuals. Although I admit sometimes it´s hard to ignore them completely ;-).

GetCarter wrote: »
    The advantage EON has over its AAA action adventure competitors is Fleming.

The producers don’t need to try too hard to replicate the emotional resonance of The Bourne Supremacy and technical excellence of Mission Impossible: Fallout.

All we need, and all we’ve ever needed, is Fleming’s character and the world he inhabits.

Which recent comments suggest is exactly what Boyle had intended to do.
    An intention attributet to Mendes as well, so who cares?

Really? I don't remember ever reading that anywhere.

I thought Mendes's main Bond reference was watching Live and Let Die as a kid.
    Mendes was hailed as being a huge Bond fan all over these discussions.

With the exception of TND, which started principal photography as late as April of '97 and the two Mendes films, the Babs/Michael era Bonds have always commenced shooting in January.
    If shooting were delayed a month, there's no reason Craig couldn't squeeze a small film in November. Still, I'm not jumping for joy over this news. Almost leads me to think B25 could be delayed indefinitely. Be nice to get some sort of Bond update.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I don't. I want a great new Bond movie. I have no bloody use for a new Bond movie that's mediocre.
    Not wishing to make light of recent news in the UK, but a plot involving some nerve agent could be worth considering if there is to be a rewrite. The enemy attacks someone in MI6 with a nerve agent and this leads onto a bigger threat. Would that be in bad taste?

That's nerve agent as in biological warfare - not a secret agent who's nervous. ;)
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    I want a Bond film that feels like a Bond film.
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Not wishing to make light of recent news in the UK, but a plot involving some nerve agent could be worth considering if there is to be a rewrite. The enemy attacks someone in MI6 with a nerve agent and this leads onto a bigger threat. Would that be in bad taste?

That's nerve agent as in biological warfare - not a secret agent who's nervous. ;)

Wonder how that would impact the box office figures in Russia?
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

Seconded.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Seconded.
    Thirded.