No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited September 2018 Posts: 2,541
    I can't wait for bond25 already imagining the possibilities- Opening with bond and Madeline in Aston Martin driving through country side and Spectre's henchmen tries to chase them.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited September 2018 Posts: 16,330
    My problem with the Craig era stems from the overuse of these two things.
    "I need to know that I can trust you." And "I do bad things because Mommy/Daddy like you more."

Melodrama to the max.
    Murdock wrote: »
    "I need to know that I can trust you." And "I do bad things because Mommy/Daddy like you more."

Melodrama to the max.

yep. the endless trust issues Dench's M had with both Brosnan and Craig became utterly tedious. she just came across as fickle and and incompetent by the time of SF.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Getafix wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »

Melodrama to the max.

yep. the endless trust issues Dench's M had with both Brosnan and Craig became utterly tedious. she just came across as fickle and and incompetent by the time of SF.
    Fresh writers can hopefully cure this tiresome affliction, which is played out. A P&W trope, although it perhaps started with GE or LTK.
    it does go way back. the rot did really start with LTK in many ways
    Getafix wrote: »
    it does go way back. the rot did really start with LTK in many ways
    It really did, didn't it? But one could argue that was the point with that film. And then it was just imitation hour, every hour, every time.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,043
    MooreFun wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    Every time I google the news I half expect to see that a ‘Lone Wolf’ has committed mass murder at the E.ON HQ in Coventry.

“The shooter, who goes by the pseudonym ‘Panchito Pistoles’, claimed it was an accident and quote: ‘Couldn’t f***ing believe he’d done it again’. Pistoles, who’s been on the run from police for 48 hours, is also wanted in connection with an arson attack on a Broccolli farm.”

"The shooter is believed to have sent a love letter to Christopher Nolan, telling him 'We can be together after I take care of the last thing preventing our union.' and 'Please invite Tom Hardy to our rendezvous'. Authorities have refused to comment on the existence of the letter, but our sources tell us it is genuine.

Comedy gold @RC7, steady on about Coventry I was born there, don't worry I hate the place, please don't send me there.
    So it looks like they are still trying to keep the 2019 date. Some cool names on that list. If Clarkson loses Star Trek because of the Pine issue, she should be freed up. She intrigues me. And I guess we'll see if EON likes White Boy Rick. Good to hear progress is being made
    Hope they can complete the search soon and keep the film on track.
  • Layton seems like a bit of a new guy, which could go good or bad. I don't think Clarkson is the right fit for Bond, not after some of her recent work. Demange, I doubt the reviews for WBR are going to help his case.
  • I'm hopelessly uninspired by this news. It seems like such a step down from the news that Edgar Wright, Jean-Marc Vallee and David Mackenzie were in the running.

S.J. Clarkson has never helmed a movie before. She's a TV director that's only under consideration as she'll do what she's told by Eon. Also, the optics of having a female director would represent a nice bit of damage control after the Danny Boyle fiasco.

Bart Layton is a filmmaker I know very little about. I've heard some great things about American Animals and The Imposter caused some real waves a few years ago. He's a documentary filmmaker though, and clearly has a unique style and approuch of adopting dramatic enactments with real interviews. He's a BAFTA winner and someone who may actually be a genuinely exciting choice...perhaps.

I think this is really Yann Demange's job to loose. At least the tone of Justin Kroll's article seems to suggest that if Eon are impressed with White Boy Rick, they'll give him Bond 25.

So, your final three.........

S.J. Clarkson
    sj-clarkson.jpg?w=1000

Collateral (BBC mini-series)
    The Defenders (Netflix show)
    Life on Mars
    Orange Is the New Black

Bart Layton
    screen-shot-2018-01-20-at-1-19-04-pm.png?w=780

The Imposter
    American Animals

Yann Demange
    yann-demange.jpg

'71
    White Boy Rick
    Honestly, as long as we have a competent director behind the camera with a good story in place, not too much to worry about. An auteur will be too much at odds with EON it seems.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    For all those that PM'd me heard the same thing a week ago and one night ago, and today: B25 will not lose their release date, and B25 will be the Hodge's script (just polished by one or a couple of writers)...
    @peter You know things the public doesn't about Bond 25?
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    peter wrote: »
    For all those that PM'd me heard the same thing a week ago and one night ago, and today: B25 will not lose their release date, and B25 will be the Hodge's script (just polished by one or a couple of writers)...

Thank you, Peter.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Anything can happen in the film industry, of course, but, @ColonelSun and I have been consistent in what the Colonel has reported: what went down with Boyle and EoN (AND Universal):

Great concept; no action.

Eon and Universal want some writers on board to "punch up" the action (as anyone from this storied franchise would). Boyle probably wasn't happy about this.

B25, when it comes out, will be the Hodge script, but punched up with "polishers".

There was, perhaps, a blowout about characterization (but nothing about killing 007, literally), between DC and DB...

(there are a couple new names I've never heard of entered into today's Variety).

There were definite claims from the Hollywood Reporter-- and other legit outlets-- that there was a delay, B25 missed release dates... Anyone who PM'd me from the start heard that that was not the case (from over two weeks ago!). And it takes a Variety article (over 2 weeks later) to verify-- guess @ColonelSun knows what he speaks of... maybe??? Or, that's right, what he says is not new and unsubstantiated).

Could a delay happen? Of course. Anything can. But the producers at EoN and Universal are too busy meeting potential replacements for Boyle.

Delaying the release dates has not yet entered the picture...
    I'm hopelessly uninspired by this news. It seems like such a step down from the news that Edgar Wright, Jean-Marc Vallee and David Mackenzie were in the running.

S.J. Clarkson has never helmed a movie before. She's a TV director that's only under consideration as she'll do what she's told by Eon. Also, the optics of having a female director would represent a nice bit of damage control after the Danny Boyle fiasco.

Bart Layton is a filmmaker I know very little about. I've heard some great things about American Animals and The Imposter caused some real waves a few years ago. He's a documentary filmmaker though, and clearly has a unique style and approuch of adopting dramatic enactments with real interviews. He's a BAFTA winner and someone who may actually be a genuinely exciting choice...perhaps.

I think this is really Yann Demange's job to loose. At least the tone of Justin Kroll's article seems to suggest that if Eon are impressed with White Boy Rick, they'll give him Bond 25.

So, your final three.........

S.J. Clarkson
    sj-clarkson.jpg?w=1000

Collateral (BBC mini-series)
    The Defenders (Netflix show)
    Life on Mars
    Orange Is the New Black

Bart Layton
    screen-shot-2018-01-20-at-1-19-04-pm.png?w=780

The Imposter
    American Animals

Yann Demange
    yann-demange.jpg

'71
    White Boy Rick

I am fine with any of them though I prefer Yann
  • Re: The Variety story.

The Variety scribe, after the story was published, tweeted out some significant information that should have been included in the story.

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    peter wrote: »
    Anything can happen in the film industry, of course, but, @ColonelSun and I have been consistent in what the Colonel has reported: what went down with Boyle and EoN (AND Universal):

Great concept; no action.

Eon and Universal want some writers on board to "punch up" the action (as anyone from this storied franchise would). Boyle probably wasn't happy about this.

B25, when it comes out, will be the Hodge script, but punched up with "polishers".

There was, perhaps, a blowout about characterization (but nothing about killing 007, literally), between DC and DB...

(there are a couple new names I've never heard of entered into today's Variety).

There were definite claims from the Hollywood Reporter-- and other legit outlets-- that there was a delay, B25 missed release dates... Anyone who PM'd me from the start heard that that was not the case (from over two weeks ago!). And it takes a Variety article (over 2 weeks later) to verify-- guess @ColonelSun knows what he speaks of... maybe??? Or, that's right, what he says is not new and unsubstantiated).

Could a delay happen? Of course. Anything can. But the producers at EoN and Universal are too busy meeting potential replacements for Boyle.

Delaying the release dates has not yet entered the picture...
    Cheers, @peter and @ColonelSun. So glad to hear Hodge's script is still in effect. It's quite a tantalizing prospect, knowing we may indeed be seeing a modern Cold War Bond film in ~a year's time! =P~
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Re: The Variety story.

The Variety scribe, after the story was published, tweeted out some significant information that should have been included in the story.

I could definitely get excited about McQuarrie. It’d be nice to see a Bond director that understands how to make a film a spectacle.
  • If that was indeed the issue that made Boyle leave the project, then I've gotta say I do side with EON in that case. Bond imho should always be a spectacle, lack of action annoys me.
    Lack of action would probably feel out of place for modern Bond. I personally though would be very open to a DN-type approach with less action if done well
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    The only decade this doesn't apply to is the 60s. Every Bond should have at least three main action sequences. Just my opinion. I think GE and CR got the balance perfect. Both directed by Martin Campbell. Coincidence?
    If the film is British based and set mainly in London as was rumored, then there's probably only one major action set piece. That's probably why we have barely any location rumors.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    If the film is British based and set mainly in London as was rumored, then there's probably only one major action set piece. That's probably why we have barely any location rumors.

I think the London thing was from Cashley though. He himself admitted he was full of Roger Moore’s useful 4 letter word.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Assuming they would still want to use John Hodge‘s script, punched up with a bit more action, is there little doubt that McQuarrie, should he choose to accept the mission, could pull it off seamlessly?
    @Birdleson exactly right. I do like the SF finale though myself.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    edited September 2018 Posts: 1,755
    What about Namibia? Weren’t they supposedly set-building there?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    What about Namibia? Weren’t they supposedly set-building there?
    Just location scouting for eventual set-building. Not sure what happened with that.