No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

FoxRox wrote: »
    Is anyone else worried Bond 25 could be the last real Bond film as we know Bond? I'm worried things could change too drastically for what comes after Craig. Very worried.

I am. Those anxious for Craig to go....I hope they get what they wish for!!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited April 2018 Posts: 12,459
    I'm not anxious, no. This series has survived and will carry on with a decent amount of class and good focus. I just believe that. And very happy we have Craig for this one. It will be his last, surely, and I want it to be such a good film. He's an excellent Bond.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I see no reason to be worried. So far, the series has always handled itself very well. It was once thought Bond wouldn't make it through the 70s. Then it was thought he couldn't enter the 90s. Craig's first outing was supposed to be a major disaster.

And time and again, the series found a way to stay "Bonded" yet also relevant. Who knows what Craig 5 will be? Who knows what B26 will be? Either way, they'll find an audience.
  • RC7RC7
    I'm not anxious, no. This series has survived and will carry on with a decent amount of class and good focus. I just believe that. And very happy we have Craig for this one. It will be his last, surely, and I want it to be such a good film. He's an excellent Bond.

I agree. Amazing how people work themselves into such a stupor. I genuinely considered whether the general appetite had diminshed, given the clamour for Craig’s departure on here, but speaking to people with no vested interest recently, I’ve found a surprising (and significant) number who are delighted that he’s said he’ll do another. In reality I shouldn’t have been surprised, but exposure to the constant anxiety on here can do those things. A lot of warped viewpoints imo.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    +2
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    +3
    Too much exposure to this thread is unhealthy. Everything in Moderation.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    RC7 wrote: »

I agree. Amazing how people work themselves into such a stupor. I genuinely considered whether the general appetite had diminshed, given the clamour for Craig’s departure on here, but speaking to people with no vested interest recently, I’ve found a surprising (and significant) number who are delighted that he’s said he’ll do another. In reality I shouldn’t have been surprised, but exposure to the constant anxiety on here can do those things. A lot of warped viewpoints imo.

I also have yet to encounter someone who is disappointed with Craig's return.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

Not warped, just different to that of your own.

Thumb up

What is this about Fiennes having a scheduling conflict?

The Bond schedule is very open for any actor aside from Daniel Craig. He's the only person who needs to be available for 6 months to shoot the entire thing.

The actual production means that actors typically come in and out frequently. I recall Fiennes shot some scenes for SP in early December and left the production and did a play in the National Theatre before returning in May to shoot some more scenes.

The same for Lea Seydox. She filmed some scenes at the beginning of the 2015 and had a large gap where she filmed a Xavier Dolan movie before returning to SP (Sam Mendes was said to be less than happy that she disappeared for a few weeks).

Basically, the Bond schedule is very malleable and day players like Fiennes, Whishaw and Harris can easily get their schedules to sync up with the production.

I love Ralph's M. His depiction in SF is great and the character is used sparingly, but wisely. He's a little wasted and underdeveloped in SP. But he's such a good actor and I want more of him. Him and Whishaw are slowly becoming the MVPs of the Bond series.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Check the first page.
    If Fiennes has a scheduling conflict that's his problem. B25 can carry on regardless. Unless of course .............Mickey G and Barbara see fit to delay the film yet another year for Fiennes.
    I shouldn't joke like that.....chances are they might.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Bounine wrote: »
    I thought Brosnan was alright in Goldeneye; there was a sharpness to him but personally, I thought he was borderline terrible in his next three. I don't know what happened... Maybe in Goldeneye he received some good direction from Campbell.
    I pretty much agree although I liked him in DAD. If you can look beyond the film I think he gave a very good performance in that one.
    Whishaw should never leave now, but the rest can go. M will need to be recast, but not sure we need Miss Moneypenny. She's a bit redundant, IMO, since they can't flirt like they used to anymore without making a splash.
    They can still do it but they need the right cast. They don't have it right now, imho. The authenticity and genuine warmth which characterized the classic interactions is missing, again imho.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Is anyone else worried Bond 25 could be the last real Bond film as we know Bond? I'm worried things could change too drastically for what comes after Craig. Very worried.
    I'm not worried one bit. This series has shown time and time again that it can survive an actor switch. It wrote the book on it. Will it be different after Craig finally departs? Of course it will, and for some of us that will be for the better. Stay optimistic and look forward to the future. Worry doesn't do any good, especially when you can't control the outcomes.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 4,599
    Don't want to sound too negative but the Inifinity War figures contribute to the evidence that momentum now plays a key factor in the success of a movie (or lack of it).

Society moves quicker now than ever before and it's always looking forward to whats next. Online (and offline) discussion about a series plays a crucial role. The producers of Marvel and Disney seemed to have completely understood this and adapted their whole business model to embrance the "what next" attitude.

IF it's not possible to produce a Bond movie more frequently than every 4/5 years, they are going to need a spin off: not to make more cash but to keep the Bond universe upfront within popular culture. 4/5 years today is more like a decade back in the 60s. Have EON grasped this? It's hard to see any evidence.

PS plus (no spoilers) but certain scenes are perfect set ups for other movies or new characters. This is such a clever and effiecient way of creating interest in the future of the series. "James Bond will return" (thats really got the crowds attention and set social media alight!) just looks amateurish compared to the way that this is handled in the Marvel world.

MI is a closer model to Bond but obviously they realise the value of momentum.

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    It's funny, Bond used to be ahead of it's time with quick released films that all took place in the same universe (for each actor). Now they've become old fashioned with bigger gaps between releases and slug-like development.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    It's funny, Bond used to be ahead of it's time with quick released films that all took place in the same universe (for each actor). Now they've become old fashioned with bigger gaps between releases and slug-like development.

If you compare the 60's output to now, it looks like a series going out to pasture. The vibrant bombast with which the first 4 films burst upon our screen, slowing gradually until the almost self-cpnscious, cynical output of today being released at a snails pace. It's really a transformation.
    Their is no reason why Feinnes cannot shoot his scenes whilst committed elsewhere? Bond 25 should be finally be a Bond movie with the MI6 team in the back ground.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I second that, @RogueAgent. I wish we could get a Bond film, not an MI6 film. Somehow it seems they felt that with the re-introduction of Penny and Q, the entire office needed to conduct fieldwork. In SF, we see MP and both M's shoot at Silva and his goons. I suppose it was a neat thing just this once. But surely once was enough. I had no problem with the climax of SP, unlike many, but I reckon that a third successive shoot-em-up team building effort would be too much.
  • RC7RC7
    edited April 2018 Posts: 10,512
    patb wrote: »
    Don't want to sound too negative but the Inifinity War figures contribute to the evidence that momentum now plays a key factor in the success of a movie (or lack of it).

Society moves quicker now than ever before and it's always looking forward to whats next. Online (and offline) discussion about a series plays a crucial role. The producers of Marvel and Disney seemed to have completely understood this and adapted their whole business model to embrance the "what next" attitude.

IF it's not possible to produce a Bond movie more frequently than every 4/5 years, they are going to need a spin off: not to make more cash but to keep the Bond universe upfront within popular culture. 4/5 years today is more like a decade back in the 60s. Have EON grasped this? It's hard to see any evidence.

PS plus (no spoilers) but certain scenes are perfect set ups for other movies or new characters. This is such a clever and effiecient way of creating interest in the future of the series. "James Bond will return" (thats really got the crowds attention and set social media alight!) just looks amateurish compared to the way that this is handled in the Marvel world.

MI is a closer model to Bond but obviously they realise the value of momentum.

MI have been on a similar pattern. Five year gap to GP, four year gap to RN. Then they squeezed it to three for Fallout - the same as SF-SP. SP was built on the momentum of SF and didn’t pay off in quite the way they planned. Four years to retool after that doesn’t seem overly controversial to me.

I don’t think there’s any nuance to the Marvel comparisons you keep making, you’ve just seen something and are saying, ‘let’s do that’. I’ll leave it at that, though, as I’ve explained my stance on this before and the situation is more complex than you imply.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I second that, @RogueAgent. I wish we could get a Bond film, not an MI6 film. Somehow it seems they felt that with the re-introduction of Penny and Q, the entire office needed to conduct fieldwork. In SF, we see MP and both M's shoot at Silva and his goons. I suppose it was a neat thing just this once. But surely once was enough. I had no problem with the climax of SP, unlike many, but I reckon that a third successive shoot-em-up team building effort would be too much.

Might as well get Theresa May to bring a gun and join in.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Don‘t think there will be a problem filming the briefing scene between Fiennes as M (I like him as M) and Bond. No worries there.

Also I don‘t need a Universe like Marvel but one thing hit me, yesterday when I saw Thor 3 (did not catch in theatres): „Thor will return in Infinity War“. I miss it ... „James Bond will return in <Movie title here>“.

The gaps are too long for sure. 3 years should be more than enough to recover and produce another one.
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    Don‘t think there will be a problem filming the briefing scene between Fiennes as M (I like him as M) and Bond. No worries there.

Also I don‘t need a Universe like Marvel but one thing hit me, yesterday when I saw Thor 3 (did not catch in theatres): „Thor will return in Infinity War“. I miss it ... „James Bond will return in <Movie title here>“.

The gaps are too long for sure. 3 years should be more than enough to recover and produce another one.

Well said. I miss the announcement of the next title during the end credits. If Eon were to explore the possibility of adapting some of the continuing novels, we could easily return to that lost tradition.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited April 2018 Posts: 11,139
    patb wrote: »

I don't think creating a Bond universe like Marvel is what Bond needs but what Bond does need is the discipline and work ethic that goes into what Kevin "the king" Feige puts into the films tgat he produces. Feige could have a long time ago rested on his laurels once he got the brandctecognition and goodwill and let the Marvel name sell itself (something EoN is frustratingly guilty of) but he doesn't. He knows how to do his job well and understands the importance of pushing a good product consistently and having the audience's investment and how to adapt with the changing climate of audience tastes and attitudes regarding consumer consumption. Since phase 1 we've been getting so and so character will return in such and such film. This fosters excitement and anticipation, something Bind used to be able to do but doesn't anymore. How did EoN have the crown and allow others to snatch it from them so badly? Jeez.
    What Feige's been able to achieve in the space of 10 years is enough to make other studio execs feel embarrassed; especially those who've been in the game for decades.

"What next"? Since last year, Marvel have switched up their business model slightly and have since and will continue to release 3 movies a year. Last year it was GoTg2, spider-man homecoming and Thor Ragnaroc...all 3 grossing over $800Million.
    This year alone we'll have Black Panther, Infinity War and Ant-man & the wasp...with Black Panther outgrossing the last Jedi, about to make £700million domestic and with a gross of over $1.3Billion and is at no.5 after more than 10 weeks for its theatrical run. Infinity War in 1 weekend ($630million) is 20 odd million away of reaching Justice League's entire theatrical run and is now the highest grossing opening in film history; beating The force awakens and the last Jedi. $1.5 Billion Is the floor with a ceiling of $2Billion+ for IW. God only knows how well Ant-Man & the wasp will do but it's going to be a smash hit regardless.

The interesting thing about all this is, the MCU is built upon Marvel's B, C and Z list characters that most didn't even know or care about and now look...the emotional resonance and investment the global audience has with these characters/franchises is nothing like anything that's come before and that's because the producers pay attention for the most part and actually give a damn about their fans and the products they're putting out. You best believe when captain marvel comes out next year, a few months before Avengers 4 that film will make close to a $Billion too.

There's none of this needless waiting business that just kills momentum or sticking to oudated methods and still, these films are critical and financial successes. There are many beneficial lessons other studios and producers can learn from Feige et al. Know your product, don't be ashamed of it and embrace it AND know your audience.

EoN could and should be making killer Bond films but there seems to be no clear direction as to where they're headed. Seriously, having to rely on what the current geopolitcaI topic is in order to foster an idea to come up with a story for a Bond film is weak sauce. They need to do a lot better and for starters they can learn to start dressing their leading man correctly.
    Doubleoego has won the thread! Great post! : )
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    Doubleoego has won the thread! Great post! : )
    Seconded.
    thirded
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Do you think Marvel should take over Bond?
    Do you think Marvel should take over Bond?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I hate most modern Marvel.
    Thats was never the point. It's the management ethos and execution that delivers on time and keeps the momentum going in the eyes of the public.
    @doubleoego Wonderful post. Really gives me reason to believe that EON selling Bond wouldn't be such a bad thing at all.