No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

So where does that "discipline and work ethic" come from within EON in it's present form?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    patb wrote: »
    So where does that "discipline and work ethic" come from within EON in it's present form?

Gregg.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Gregg.

Do you mean Gregg Wilson, or are you just choking on something?
    edited April 2018 Posts: 7,979

Gregg.

Do you mean Gregg Wilson, or are you just choking on something?

How do you always spot the shortest distance between a set up and punchline? It's a valuable talent you have there, use it well.
    I don t know. If only someone would pay me.

If you're good at something, never do it for free.

If you're good at something, never do it for free.

I do think EON should still sell to someone after 25. I just want the legacy of Bond to continue to be honored with each new film and for whoever is in charge to not stray from the path too far.
    But Moneypenny was always pretty much not necessary - she just became a beloved staple. I really like Naomie and Daniel, so out of all of the "office staff" I want her to stay. And bring Felix back. Just on my wish list.

very true. in fact it was lois Maxwell we loved. no one else has come close.

I agree with previous comments about Q. I wasn't impressed with whishaw in sf but he one me over in SP . it would be nice if he provided the continuity with the next Bond. and perhaps he will be older than bond by then too
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 11,425
    part of the affection for bond films is also partly due to the fact that a lot of people know it's a family business and that means people cut the films more slack than they would otherwise. not sure how long the films would keep going if they were owned outright by someone else
    I doubt most people know it s a family business.
    may be not most but a significant minority. the broccoli family name is widely known as these things go. a fair few casual fans will be conscious that Bond is a little different for this reason
  • SeanCraig wrote: »
    Don‘t think there will be a problem filming the briefing scene between Fiennes as M (I like him as M) and Bond. No worries there.

Also I don‘t need a Universe like Marvel but one thing hit me, yesterday when I saw Thor 3 (did not catch in theatres): „Thor will return in Infinity War“. I miss it ... „James Bond will return in <Movie title here>“.

The gaps are too long for sure. 3 years should be more than enough to recover and produce another one.

Marvel has been doing that since at least 2011. First Thor movie said he'd return in The Avengers. First Captain America movie said Cap would be back in The Avengers.
    Getafix wrote: »
    may be not most but a significant minority. the broccoli family name is widely known as these things go. a fair few casual fans will be conscious that Bond is a little different for this reason

Yes, Broccoli is well known, but not the family.
    Getafix wrote: »

Yes, Broccoli is well known, but not the family.

Græk.

Sorry, got something in my throat.
    Could be broccoli.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Excellent post @doubleoego. I'm in firm and complete agreement. Feige has taken the Broccoli (Cubby) playbook and expanded upon and enhanced it. I couldn't help but think of what Bond was at one time when "###### will return" flashed across the screen at the end of IW. I shall be seeing it again tomorrow and am quite excited by the prospect.

It's even more impressive when one understands that Marvel tried to sell the entire kaboodle and MCU idea (including secondary characters) to Sony at one time for $25m but the short sighted ones over there decided they only wanted Spider Man for $10m because they felt in their infinite wisdom that nobody would be interested in Black Panther, Thor, The Wasp or Antman. Fools indeed.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/02/15/sony-turned-down-marvel-movie-rights-25-million/
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    They need to do a lot better and for starters they can learn to start dressing their leading man correctly.

Jany Temime will probably be back, so I don't see that happening. At least his casual clothes are top-notch.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 12,837
    Maybe it's just my age or social group, but for me at least, there's still a genuine magic around Bond that Marvel doesn't have. When it comes out it is an event, at least in the UK. The cinemas go all out for it, it'll be on TV a lot, that kind of thing, and I get older relatives who barely ever go to the cinema (and if they do, not for the latest blockbuster) asking me if I've seen it yet. Marvel is very popular but it isn't a cultural institution like Bond is. SP being one of the highest grossing films of all time over here even with the mixed reception says it all imo.

Where they might need to worry is internationally, but it's not like they're doing badly is it? SP still made money. It is a shame that they didn't capitalise on the momentum of SF more and we're all getting a bit restless because of the gap but I'm sure that when the next one does eventually come out, it'll do fine. Won't be competing with Marvel but I don't want it too. There might be some overlap but overall it's a different sort of audience I think.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I used to think that EON should never give it up. That keeping it in the family , with one property in mind would make sure that quality and care were prominent. Now I have change day mind. If they don't have the drive and enthusiasm to produce a top product on a reasonable schedule I say time to close. The problem is that it is inevitably going to be snapped up by one of the giant machines (Warner Bros. or Disney, or the like) which I am also uncomfortable with for a variety of other reasons.

That's how I feel too. On the one hand, if their heart isn't in it then I'd like someone else to take over so we can get films more often. On the other hand I'd be scared that if that happened Bond would lose its magic, get milked dry and become a lot more soulless.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Also one more thing: The MCU actors totally embrace their characters off-screen ... in social media, appearances in youth programmes and so on. It keeps the momentum even during the movies. I haven‘t heard Chris Hemsworth, Robert Downey Jr. complain being tired of their characters. Maybe it‘s just a part of their contract - but it comes off naturally and funny (like the Thor workplace video etc.)

And Craig and all did that with Bond after SF, too ... what the hell happened during the SP that made everybody so tired is somewhat amazing. But I think this has a huge influence at the current mood many seem to be in.

James Bond will return.
    @SeanCraig Good point. Every actor plays their role as an ambassador for the brand. Like having 15 Roger Moores! And they do this with respect and, so far, (happy to be corrected) I have not seen a lazy performance throughout the whole series.

A point that a friend made. IF the space allocated for public movie awareness is finite, Bond must be taking a hit?
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Don't want to sound too negative but the Inifinity War figures contribute to the evidence that momentum now plays a key factor in the success of a movie (or lack of it).

Society moves quicker now than ever before and it's always looking forward to whats next. Online (and offline) discussion about a series plays a crucial role. The producers of Marvel and Disney seemed to have completely understood this and adapted their whole business model to embrance the "what next" attitude.

I don't think creating a Bond universe like Marvel is what Bond needs but what Bond does need is the discipline and work ethic that goes into what Kevin "the king" Feige puts into the films tgat he produces. Feige could have a long time ago rested on his laurels once he got the brandctecognition and goodwill and let the Marvel name sell itself (something EoN is frustratingly guilty of) but he doesn't. He knows how to do his job well and understands the importance of pushing a good product consistently and having the audience's investment and how to adapt with the changing climate of audience tastes and attitudes regarding consumer consumption. Since phase 1 we've been getting so and so character will return in such and such film. This fosters excitement and anticipation, something Bind used to be able to do but doesn't anymore. How did EoN have the crown and allow others to snatch it from them so badly? Jeez.
    What Feige's been able to achieve in the space of 10 years is enough to make other studio execs feel embarrassed; especially those who've been in the game for decades.

"What next"? Since last year, Marvel have switched up their business model slightly and have since and will continue to release 3 movies a year. Last year it was GoTg2, spider-man homecoming and Thor Ragnaroc...all 3 grossing over $800Million.
    This year alone we'll have Black Panther, Infinity War and Ant-man & the wasp...with Black Panther outgrossing the last Jedi, about to make £700million domestic and with a gross of over $1.3Billion and is at no.5 after more than 10 weeks for its theatrical run. Infinity War in 1 weekend ($630million) is 20 odd million away of reaching Justice League's entire theatrical run and is now the highest grossing opening in film history; beating The force awakens and the last Jedi. $1.5 Billion Is the floor with a ceiling of $2Billion+ for IW. God only knows how well Ant-Man & the wasp will do but it's going to be a smash hit regardless.

The interesting thing about all this is, the MCU is built upon Marvel's B, C and Z list characters that most didn't even know or care about and now look...the emotional resonance and investment the global audience has with these characters/franchises is nothing like anything that's come before and that's because the producers pay attention for the most part and actually give a damn about their fans and the products they're putting out. You best believe when captain marvel comes out next year, a few months before Avengers 4 that film will make close to a $Billion too.

There's none of this needless waiting business that just kills momentum or sticking to oudated methods and still, these films are critical and financial successes. There are many beneficial lessons other studios and producers can learn from Feige et al. Know your product, don't be ashamed of it and embrace it AND know your audience.

EoN could and should be making killer Bond films but there seems to be no clear direction as to where they're headed. Seriously, having to rely on what the current geopolitcaI topic is in order to foster an idea to come up with a story for a Bond film is weak sauce. They need to do a lot better and for starters they can learn to start dressing their leading man correctly.

This post made me really realize that if EON doesn't change how they handle their product then they ought to sell after bond 25 bravo @doubleoego excellent post!!
    @thelivingroyale, I get your point and I don't think anyone is disagreeing that Bond is a far superior brand to Marvel's entries for most of us here. It's been around for longer and is in a genre that many of us prefer.

The point is more that Marvel has done so much with their brand equity in the last 10 years. It's remarkable what they have been able to achieve with a consistent vision and an engaged and creative producer at the helm. The trajectory has been quite extraordinary and should be commended and respected. They are not sitting on their laurels over there and they aren't taking their characters for granted either, nor are they butchering them with ridiculous connections which didn't previously exist.
    Its interesting to look back at when I was fifteen and think about who were the main movie heroes and what were the big series? I was a big Bond fan back then as were my friends (I remember trying to make a golden gun out of a gold pen and cigar lighter and sticky tape borrowed from my dad !). Star Wars had just started and Raiders was made when I was sixteen.

Now my son is fifteen. From his perspective, there is so much more going on. So many movies to see and more series (Star Wars, MI, Marvel, Jurrasic, any Rock movies etc etc)
    Looking at his social media chat etc, Marvel is THE series that is being discussed.

IF my son is representative of future movie fans, the EON should be concerned. The whole legacy that we love to discuss in minute detail means nothing to him and his friends.
    Its interesting to look back at when I was fifteen and think about who were the main movie heroes and what were the big series? I was a big Bond fan back then as were my friends (I remember trying to make a golden gun out of a gold pen and cigar lighter and sticky tape borrowed from my dad !). Star Wars had just started and Raiders was made when I was sixteen.

Now my son is fifteen. From his perspective, there is so much more going on. So many movies to see and more series (Star Wars, MI, Marvel, Jurrasic, any Rock movies etc etc)
    Looking at his social media chat etc, Marvel is THE series that is being discussed.

IF my son is representative of future movie fans, the EON should be concerned. The whole legacy that we love to discuss in minute detail means nothing to him and his friends.

I feel like Bond is becoming less and less relevant in the modern era. SF was a hit, granted, but from SP onwards the excitement for it has died down tremendously, and many seem quite tired of Bond. For whatever reason, Bond is less of a big deal than it used to be. Could be after SP many people, myself included, felt like the series was running out of energy and fresh ideas. I’m hopeful Bond 25 can be a hit and restore the hype and excitement Bond used to bring to the masses.
    All the points your making are good ones and are down to how infrequent bond films come out our don't for many years. Marval has a plan as does Star Wars with development happening on future movies when one is coming out, with release dates set for the next three to four years. Eon don't plan movies any more in advance and never know the next films release date until years after the last film came out. Not good enough and that's why the interest dies as 3 to 4 are even more years between films is too long!
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    We need news DESPERATELY. This board has become full of random, uninteresting topics. This wait has been horrendous.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    We need news DESPERATELY. This board has become full of random, uninteresting topics. This wait has been horrendous.

100% agree I know everyone says oh eon is not ready to officially announce everything but I think it's well pass time
    I don't think it's solely EON's call to be quite frank. MGM has a say too.

We have been promised an announcement shortly, so stay tuned! May is here tomorrow.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

100% agree I know everyone says oh eon is not ready to officially announce everything but I think it's well pass time

Yeah, May 2018 arrives and we still only know about 3 or 4 "concrete" pieces of information regarding Bond 25. If there is a delay, a lot of people will get really angry including the diehard fans.