No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I'll say it again, age up the casting of the Bond Girl: Diane Lane, Julianne Moore or Virginia Madsen.
    I was about to make a snide remark suggesting Maggie Smith, Glenda Jackson or even Ruth Gordon (who would be 121 years old by now) instead, but since those ladiesyou mentioned are all at least a few years younger than me, I'd rather not comment (which I just did). And I agree we don't need any anorectic non-actresses.

Naturally I think there is a cut off point where it becomes too creepy in the opposite direction. Maybe I am biased, but I would consider the three I named as with the realistic age bracket, that I would love to see as the main Bond Girl.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I never felt the " love interest" in Madeleine was in any way more pronounced than that with several other ladies in the franchise. And I have nothing at all against Madeleine or Léa Seydoux - quite the contrary. But for all that it's worth, I wouldn't care if they forgot all about her (like about all previous flings except maybe Tracy and Vesper) and start from scratch as if she never existed.

Eh they harp on it via the title song and their discussion on the train at dinner (settling down/giving up his life as an assassin to be with someone). I wish that had been more downplayed. I also like Madeleine, but I don’t think she should be Bond’s “special one.”
    So, who should Ewan McGregor play in Bond 25?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I must admit I never really listened to the SP title song, actually couldn't quote any lyrics, but I don't see what was so special in Bond's relationship with Maddie as opposed to, say, Tanya in FRWL, just to mention the most striking example in my book. And I still think that starting from a clean slate (without all the ballast from the preceding films, as much as I liked CR and SF) would be the best way to go.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    SharkBait wrote: »

He would make a great villain.
    SharkBait wrote: »

A doormat.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited March 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Even Q would knock him out in a fair unarmed fight. ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    McGregor as Kincade in 1979.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Even Q would knock him out in a fair unarmed fight. ;)

Wow.
    McGregor as Kincade in 1979.

Yes, I see the resemblance...

(And I know he played a younger version of Albert Finney's character in Big Fish)
    What are the chances Boyle makes an True adaptation of YOLT?
    94%
    94%
    Way higher than I thought
    +/-132 %
    Here's one thing to speculate over what next real world threat does boyle and hodge plan on using for bond 25?
    Here's one thing to speculate over what next real world threat does boyle and hodge plan on using for bond 25?

Falling testosterone levels.

Falling testosterone levels.

LOL
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited March 2018 Posts: 5,979
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    What are the chances Boyle makes an True adaptation of YOLT?

10% unless Waltz really wants to work with Boyle.
    True adaptation of SP? 744 %.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    True adaptation of SP? 744 %.
    You should do my taxes. Or maybe not at all.
    Looks like we may finally get something plot based akin to CR
    What with all the news about (alleged!) Russian chemical attacks in the UK, perhaps the screenplay can have the Commies back as Bond's main villain. The Cold War is not over, Mr Bond... it merely thawed!
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    This year we do have Horowitz' second novel and MI Fallout, so that helps.

I couldn't care less about MI Fallout, with all due respect.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

When it comes to Bond, the film will generally only be as good as its script. In short, bad Bond films are the result of bad scripts more than bad directors. In Forster's case, he really had no script and had to pull that thing together--salvage it, really. QoS would have been a huge mess under lesser hands.

Mendes takes a lot of heat for what happened in SP, and I am not sure that that is fair--at least not completely. We know the following: 1. Mendes was hired after Logan had already begun working on the script; 2. EON didn't received the rights to the Blofeld character until after that point; 3. Mendes was not happy with the draft of the script he received about 6 mos. prior to scheduled filming.

As for a Boyle/Hodge storyline...I am thinking that Blofeld will be back, but in a limited way, still incarcerated. The structure of the Silence of the Lambs may be a blue print.

• edited March 2018 Posts: 11,425
    There's definitely truth in the fact that the best films were probably made by the hack directors back in the day. Who would the equivalent be now? May be some of the directors coming out of the currently excellent world of TV would be better suited.

Who is the guy who directs all these trashy yet highly entertaining Liam Neason movies? Would be interesting to see him turn his hand to Bond.

There are so many different routes they could go down that would be lots of fun. Peter Hunt's OHMSS still stands out for being one of most off beat, different Bond films. Why not have a Bond that is much more of a pacy thriller directed by someone who makes those films for a living? Forster sort of tried to do that with QOS I suppose. I like that film but know it also could have been a whole lot better.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 5,767
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Bentley007 wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I read this article yesterday. They do get that Bond is a different beast than other films however they seem to miss on how much Boyle seems to understand Bond. I appreciate the views and expectations conveyed on this website more than most news outlets. I think Boyle will do a great job incorporating his style into the already established understainding of a Bond film and not just making a Danny Boyle movie which happens to feature Bond.

The only reason that particular bit keeps me cautious is because I recall Mendes mentioning several times his love of the novels and how he had read them numerous times, and I wasn't remotely crazy about what he delivered. I'm more optimistic with Boyle in the chair, but we'll see.
    These are my thoughts and feelings too.

• SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Too bad Sophie Marceau already starred in a Bond Film - she would suit Daniel very well on-screen I am sure, looks stunning and mature enough. Plus she‘s a fine actress, I think (but that may be my lifelong crush for her speaking here :-) ). Paired alongside a return of Camille and some little flirts here and there (like the receptionist in TB and so on) would be just great.
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    Too bad Sophie Marceau already starred in a Bond Film - she would suit Daniel very well on-screen I am sure, looks stunning and mature enough. Plus she‘s a fine actress, I think (but that may be my lifelong crush for her speaking here :-) ). Paired alongside a return of Camille and some little flirts here and there (like the receptionist in TB and so on) would be just great.

As a person I don't like her but as an actress she is quite nice.