No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Oh god shoot me now.
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Does Boyle know his Bond history? For me that’s a must for all directors directing Bond.

Directed London Olympics opening ceremony in which he came up with the idea to have Dan parachute in with the Queen.

Ok good good. Makes me feel good about him.
    Does Boyle know his Bond history? For me that’s a must for all directors directing Bond.

Directed London Olympics opening ceremony in which he came up with the idea to have Dan parachute in with the Queen.

Age appropriate.

#OneToo
    Danny Boyle promises his Bond girl with reflect the MeToo era
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2018/03/16/danny-boyle-promises-bond-girl-reflect-metoo-era/

Interesting comments.

Bond is a misogynist who regularly takes advantage of women in the course of his work. It'll be interesting to see how Boyle will tackle this idea. Will we betting more of Boyle's social realism? Perhaps 007 has to go to a disciplinary hearing with MI6's HR department after complaints of his inappropriate behaviour.

That's a joke, of course.

But I'm curious how they go with the next film. Personally, I don't think a 50 year-old Daniel Craig should be depicted having a relationship with a 20/30 something. If he is to have a love interest, the actress should be age appropriate.

Despite all the hype surrounding Monica Bellucci's casting, the relationship with Lea Seydoux was slightly creepy. She was too young for him, her character was basically an echo of Vesper and she was a daughter of a man Bond had tried to kill for 10 years.
    I agree with you @Pierce2Daniel, I think that B25 should have a leading actress that is age appropriate to Craig's age. Not because I'm jumping on the back of the current snowflake furore of the men vs women equality BS, but because I don't want to see a repeat of the late Roger Moore years where Bond looked old enough to be the girl's father. That's why the movie Bond character has always worked best when the actor was in his early thirties.

The Telegraph headline is also rather misleading because Boyle doesn't say he'll be acknowledging the "MeToo" movement in B25. His actual quote is: “You write in real time. You acknowledge the legacy of the world [of Bond] and you write in the world – but you also write in the modern world as well.”
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Oh god shoot me now.
    We'll expect a full feminist partisan message from that film, then.

Ah, I miss the days when films were made for pure entertainment.
    Dennison wrote: »
    I'm a bit surprised by the positivity towards the Boyle/Hodge scenario on here. Personally I'm excited - but the whole we've got a 'great idea' suggests we're not going to get the vanilla, by-the-numbers entry some on here have been clamouring for.

No one here has ever asked for a plain vanilla or by the number of approach. What some people are lobbying for, and some are obviously not capable to wrap their mind around, are scripts with a minimum amount of logic in it and a James Bond that just somehow stays true to how are certain Mr. Fleming envisioned him.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I may have a view on most of the Bond girls which is inconpatible with that whole #MeToo „topic“ ... but as portrayed on the screen they fell for Bond‘s charms but most were independant, strong female characters. Imho the receiption of Bond girls is a bit inaccurate. They all fall for the „hero“ of the picture ... same is true for those Marvel movies etc., too.

Having said that, I don‘t think Hodge needs to write something radically new to be „in line“ with today‘s climate.
    Don't bother with a Bond Girl...that will solve everything in one go.
    bondsum wrote: »
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2018/03/16/danny-boyle-promises-bond-girl-reflect-metoo-era/

Interesting comments.

Bond is a misogynist who regularly takes advantage of women in the course of his work. It'll be interesting to see how Boyle will tackle this idea. Will we betting more of Boyle's social realism? Perhaps 007 has to go to a disciplinary hearing with MI6's HR department after complaints of his inappropriate behaviour.

But I'm curious how they go with the next film. Personally, I don't think a 50 year-old Daniel Craig should be depicted having a relationship with a 20/30 something. If he is to have a love interest, the actress should be age appropriate.

Despite all the hype surrounding Monica Bellucci's casting, the relationship with Lea Seydoux was slightly creepy. She was too young for him, her character was basically an echo of Vesper and she was a daughter of a man Bond had tried to kill for 10 years.
    I agree with you @Pierce2Daniel, I think that B25 should have a leading actress that is age appropriate to Craig's age. Not because I'm jumping on the back of the current snowflake furore of the men vs women equality BS, but because I don't want to see a repeat of the late Roger Moore years where Bond looked old enough to be the girl's father. That's why the movie Bond character has always worked best when the actor was in his early thirties.

The Telegraph headline is also rather misleading because Boyle doesn't say he'll be acknowledging the "MeToo" movement in B25. His actual quote is: “You write in real time. You acknowledge the legacy of the world [of Bond] and you write in the world – but you also write in the modern world as well.”

Oh yes great! Another "old" woman starring as the main Bond girl. These are indeed troubling times, when not even James Bond movies deliver eye candy.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited March 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Make a "victim" female character the main star of the film under the umbrella of the Bond label, while having Bond getting lectured by some feminist on how he's a sexist, misogynist dinousaur for bedding women (even though they go in by their own will). Something akin to the latest Mad Max movie, only with a "stronger" and "tough" message directed at "men". No thanks.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited March 2018 Posts: 6,721
    barryt007 wrote: »
    That's like saying "don't bother making the film"! :D
    mattjoes wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    That's like saying "don't bother making the film"! :D

Hahaha I know,i was joking..got to have a bit of female fluff in a Bond film he he ;)

For a small second there - before I read the text, I though Arnold was announced.

I was at the Bond in Motion exhibition last weekend!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I think the issue is whether one comes at it from a male centric perspective or a female centric one. Or from a visible minority perspective even. That is the legacy of #MeToo as far as I can see it. It's ironically a bit less independent than the liberation movement from the 60s (when Bond films came into existence) and more 'collective'.

I personally think the original Bond films very smartly evoked the spirit of the 60s freedom movement while still being classy. The films were quite progressive for their time but still had a throwback aspect to them. Connery himself perfectly captured that middle ground between the old times and new. There was an element of counter-culture to them.

That's what he needs to tap into for this millennium.
    Looks like people are reacting more to the headline than the content of the article (Boyle's comment)…
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Looks like people are reacting more to the headline than the content of the article (Boyle's comment)…

Yeah, Boyle was just asked a question, and played it safe with the answer.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Mendes was able to infuse SF with his skills for character building and drama. It was a 'Mendes Bond' film and that is why it resonated with the public. There was an authenicity there. They went all in.

What does a 'Boyle Bond' film mean? Not being familiar with his works I can't say, but I sincerely hope that EON uses this opportunity to reposition the franchise for the next phase in its growth. A lot has happened in the world since SF, and I think the time is right to make a Bond film which defines the character in the context of the times we live in.

I have a feeling that is why they are leaning towards Boyle. He seems to be the type of film maker who can do that.
    mattjoes wrote: »

Yeah, Boyle was just asked a question, and played it safe with the answer.

Indeed, it was an expected answer, really.
    A rh
    If Boyle is indeed going to to it (depending on how the script is received, apparently), then at least we should have a stand-alone film with none of the SPECTRE bollocks of trying to tie previous films into it.
    A fresh start please Danny…

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Boyle is a veteran, he is 61, Daniel Craig is still Bond. I think we might have something more like a refreshed end with allusions to the previous four films.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I think the issue is whether one comes at it from a male centric perspective or a female centric one. Or from a visible minority perspective even. That is the legacy of #MeToo as far as I can see it. It's ironically a bit less independent than the liberation movement from the 60s (when Bond films came into existence) and more 'collective'.

I personally think the original Bond films very smartly evoked the spirit of the 60s freedom movement while still being classy. The films were quite progressive for their time but still had a throwback aspect to them. Connery himself perfectly captured that middle ground between the old times and new. There was an element of counter-culture to them.

Hasn't it become counterculture again?
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 4,600
    I think the really interesting thing is (and we did anticipate this), that just a few days after the announcment and months and months before release, the director is fielding questions from the media regarding Meetoo and Bond and already being misquoted (by the Telegraph. )

This could become very tiresome to say the least and I just hope that the production team don't over react.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited March 2018 Posts: 8,086

Exactly. If Metoo is the new norm, then Bond is a part of the counter culture. He's back where he started in the 60's.

I don't see why every property on the planet has to be a part of the same bandwagon. Surely diversity is a good thing.

It seems like the Mary Whitehouses of the world have taken over.
    I’m not too worried yet about Bond 25 being overly PC. I think the article was mostly clickbait, because Boyle’s comments didn’t give away much. Just having an independent Bond girl isn’t overly PC. We will see what comes of that but I wouldn’t worry too much yet.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited March 2018 Posts: 4,441
    With all waiting, patience or not

Where is the drive ?

miller-john-one-rotten-apple-amongst-other-green-apples-e1422640780350.jpg

thumbnail_23186.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
    13-07-11BOND01.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    tHAT SUMs it upnicely, Balje.
    I concur.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883

Exactly. If Metoo is the new norm, then Bond is a part of the counter culture. He's back where he started in the 60's.

I don't see why every property on the planet has to be a part of the same bandwagon. Surely diversity is a good thing.

My point was more that Bond was in a way counterculture to the liberation movement in the 60s while also embracing it (characters like Pussy were lez as well as progressive but ultimately succumbed to Bond's enviable charms). Bond was as masculine as could be (in the old school sort of way) and yet the films were quite pioneering and avant-garde. It was a deft sleight of hand.

That's what I'd like Boyle to pull off. Appease the #MeToo'ers while turning his back on them. The film must cut both ways.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 3,333
    bondsum wrote: »

Interesting comments.

Oh yes great! Another "old" woman starring as the main Bond girl. These are indeed troubling times, when not even James Bond movies deliver eye candy.
    Doesn't have to be "old" per se, just someone not ridiculously young. As another member mentioned before in an older post, an actress like Kate Beckinsale, who is currently 44, would be suitable as leading Bond lady material for Craig. And before some member here waves aside her acting credentials or their own dislike of her, she's perfectly fine given the right role. Like it or not, Craig is much older now and it could be seen as a tad creepy if his Bond is seen chasing a bit of skirt like Carry On's Sid James just to please a small portion of the schoolboy crowd. Craig barely got away with it in Spectre with Léa Seydoux!! Another 4 or 5 years down the line isn't going to improve things. Just sayin'.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited March 2018 Posts: 4,554
    Dennison wrote: »
    I'm a bit surprised by the positivity towards the Boyle/Hodge scenario on here. Personally I'm excited - but the whole we've got a 'great idea' suggests we're not going to get the vanilla, by-the-numbers entry some on here have been clamouring for.

My question at this point is how long Boyle/Hodge have been in "talks." And I wonder when DC knew.

Plus, like all directors, Boyle has certain actors he likes to work with. McGregor is one, and it would be interesting to see if he's cast somehow.

My point was more that Bond was in a way counterculture to the liberation movement in the 60s while also embracing it (characters like Pussy were lez as well as progressive but ultimately succumbed to Bond's enviable charms). Bond was as masculine as could be (in the old school sort of way) and yet the films were quite pioneering and avant-garde. It was a deft sleight of hand.

That's what I'd like Boyle to pull off. Appease the #MeToo'ers while turning his back on them. The film must cut both ways.

That's perfectly sound, and right. I don't think these people are that hard to hoodwink, to be honest. Danny is a northern lad, he's not as cosmopolitan as he lets on.

But the mewtwo movement and feminism seems to be the mainstream these days. Hollywood sets the agenda, and we are being pushed ever further in one direction. In that environment, Bond with his philandering ways is no less counter culture than he ever was in the 60's. The Mary Whitehouses brigade never went away, they just swapped sides.