No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    SeanCraig wrote: »

About Craig‘s looks: He may be bulking up actually ... and then shred off the fat that always comes with a „bulking diet“. Just thinking ... the true indicator will be pictures of him around September during rehearsals ...

Bulking up for what? It's not like Craig has been a twig. If he's bulking it should be a lean bulk, so when he's cutting there's already minimal fat to get rid of. Him not lean bulking is a silly strategy to get into shape for the role.
    When Rog was showing his age, he got away with it at the box office because he was the established Bond. There's no way he'd have been cast as Bond post-Moonraker. And now we're in the same position with Dan. He's Bond in the eye of the public.
    But the last few Rog films made the mistake of not acknowledging his age in the script so much. They did it better in NSNA actually, having him almost come out of retirement to save the world again.
    The new film could conceivably start ten years on from Bond's last mission. He's just training new agents, ("he was the best, in his day"), or working in an advisory capacity. Then, a threat comes along (new actor Blofeld, new villain, I don't care as long as they're villainous), and he gets pulled out of retirement. Saves the world and pulls loads of age-appropriate chicks along the way.

And let's face it, the series left the tall, dashing Bond behind it 2002.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    shamanimal wrote: »
    Regrettably, and I'd contend opened the floodgates for the kind of ridiculous speculation we have now about possible Bond actors, actresses and replacements.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    "Bulking up" is an excuse old school bodybuilders used to eat a lot and getting fat in the off season. Daniel is a naturally lean guy who's weight is probably fairly constant. What changes is that when he gets in shape for Bond, he puts on a bit of muscle while getting a little leaner; the change in actual weight is nominal.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2018 Posts: 13,882
    When Rog was showing his age, he got away with it at the box office because he was the established Bond. There's no way he'd have been cast as Bond post-Moonraker. And now we're in the same position with Dan. He's Bond in the eye of the public.
    But the last few Rog films made the mistake of not acknowledging his age in the script so much. They did it better in NSNA actually, having him almost come out of retirement to save the world again.
    The new film could conceivably start ten years on from Bond's last mission. He's just training new agents, ("he was the best, in his day"), or working in an advisory capacity. Then, a threat comes along (new actor Blofeld, new villain, I don't care as long as they're villainous), and he gets pulled out of retirement. Saves the world and pulls loads of age-appropriate chicks along the way.

Moore looked youthful for longer. I'd never guess that Moore was already nearer to 50 (than 40) when he started, if I didn't already know. And his age only started to show during FYEO, becoming more noticeable between each film thereafter. While Craig, with his rougher appearance, looked older than his 38 years when he started, and his ageing hasn't exactly slowed down.
    bondjames wrote: »
    These are my top 5 choices for bond's leading lady for bond 25:
    1. Scarlett Johansson
    2. Christina Hendricks
    3. Catherine Zeta-jones
    4. Salma Hayek
    5. Kate Winslet

Catherine Zeta-Jones was the most beautiful bond girl that never was. But sadly those times are over. Call me stubborn but I would really lobby for a reasonable young and attractive woman in that role. You know, trust for traditions sake.
    I hear you, but it won't work credibly with the current fellow. They will have to skew older to accommodate him, or else it will look uncomfortable.

I hear you, but it will surprise you that after a long mentally back and forth I am prepared to sacrifice Craig. Fun aside, you are of course right, but I'm just not interested in that kind of Bond movie.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    talos7 wrote: »
    "Bulking up" is an excuse old school bodybuilders used to eat a lot and getting fat in the off season. Daniel is a naturally lean guy who's weight is probably fairly constant. What changes is that when he gets in shape for Bond, he puts on a bit of muscle while getting a little leaner; the change in actual weight is nominal.
    Makes sense - it crossed my mind because somebody mentioned HGH (is that abbreviation correct?) and afaik the growth is never fully lean. Because he definitely was less lean in Logan Lucky and aftrwards ... leanest and best looking in QoS, imho.

Anyway - was just thinking and as said: Looking forward to September and later when most likely there will be a press conference before they actually start shooting.

About Roger: I was not aware for a long time he started his Bond career nearly the same age when Connery ended his ... that was amazing. Plus due to his incredible charms he could easily pull off every movie until AVTAK ... that may have been one too much but I personally don‘t mind at all .. actually like that film much more than SP and I am a huge fan of Craig‘s Bond interpretation...
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Nothing could have saved poor DAD. Just too much wrong. Brosnan should have left after TWINE, even though I like him a lot.

Sadly, had Brosnan left after TWINE, Craig as Bond would never have happened. Brosnan doing a 4th film is major piece of the puzzle for Craig to be cast for CR.

Which resulted in the two most stylistically different movies to run chronologically in the whole series, in my opinion. Bond 25 won't feel so much like a breath of fresh air as CR did, but it does sound like they've got an intriguing idea for a storyline.

Fair enough. DAD was a necessary evil for CR and Craig’s timeline to happen.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The pendulum keeps swinging. It is a law of nature.
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    Makes sense - it crossed my mind because somebody mentioned HGH (is that abbreviation correct?) and afaik the growth is never fully lean. Because he definitely was less lean in Logan Lucky and aftrwards ... leanest and best looking in QoS, imho.

Anyway - was just thinking and as said: Looking forward to September and later when most likely there will be a press conference before they actually start shooting.

About Roger: I was not aware for a long time he started his Bond career nearly the same age when Connery ended his ... that was amazing. Plus due to his incredible charms he could easily pull off every movie until AVTAK ... that may have been one too much but I personally don‘t mind at all .. actually like that film much more than SP and I am a huge fan of Craig‘s Bond interpretation...

Craig looked good in CR and QOS. Less so but still okay for SF and SP. I think nearly everyone can agree, Craig Bond fan or not, that SP was disappointing. I love his first 3, but then SP turned out to be “meh.” I’m cautiously optimistic they can send Craig off well with Bond 25.

Moore looked youthful for longer. I'd never guess that Moore was already nearer to 50 (than 40) when he started, if I didn't already know. And his age only started to show during FYEO, becoming more noticeable between each film thereafter. While Craig, with his rougher appearance, looked older than his 38 years when he started, and his ageing hasn't exactly slowed down.

I remember seeing the deleted scene from AVTAK, in the jail, and thinking Moore still looked like a 'dude'. An older dude, but still he had that movie star aspect. If they'd ditched the 'street' clothes and close-ups, AVTAK aging Bond wouldn't have been so obvious.
    Craig looks less dude, and more dad, I'm afraid.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Craig looked kinda older in SF, but I always thought that was intentional, to rough him up and show he has "lost a step". The first time I got worried about his age was at the SP conference. His jumper was ridiculed for making him look like a Dad, but for me it wasn't the jumper. He looked visibly aged, but unlike SF here he was TRYING to look young. I thought he looked just decent in the film, but was pushing it slightly. I don't know what it is but Roger still looked good at 51 in MR, yet based on the evidence Craig seems to look much older already. I hope in the 9 months until filming they can find a way to make him look youthful (diet?). I hope they don't resort to CGI because that process is expensive and they are already paying enough for his involvement.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I actually think that, other than the "snow scenes", which tend to be hard on the appearance of some actors , Craig looked great in Spectre. I don't see it as him trying too look "young", he's just better groomed. For the most part his hair was spot on and he had a good tan.
    Yes he will look older, like all of us he's getting older, but I still say, properly groomed, he will be fit and ready when the camera rolls .
    Craig looked kinda older in SF, but I always thought that was intentional, to rough him up and show he has "lost a step". The first time I got worried about his age was at the SP conference. His jumper was ridiculed for making him look like a Dad, but for me it wasn't the jumper. He looked visibly aged, but unlike SF here he was TRYING to look young.
    Ah yes, I quite agree. The Tintin look. I remember it well. It was the first time I'd seen him in a while and I was certain he had some work done around the eyes and the hairline (that was my impression anyway). Then I saw that ridiculous Heineken ad where he looked even older with the long hair.
    I thought he looked just decent in the film, but was pushing it slightly.
    I didn't. Except for L'Americain, I thought he looked pretty poor in SP if I'm being honest. Haggard. I thought he looked much better in SF and hope he gets back to the body mass from the earlier film, because I think it will hide his age better.

Bottom line though is it's never been about looks with him. It's about presence. He has to capture us with his screen charisma in B25. That was something I found quite lacking in SP, whether that was on account of the cheesy script, the production difficulties or his injury I'm not sure.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Craig looks great in CR and QOS. He looks pretty bad in SF, but that's mainly down to the haircut and stubble. He looked pretty decent in SP. Unfortunately, he looks terrible right now.

Personally, I think Roger got away with being too old because he was just so damn charming and likeable in the role. I wouldn't sacrifice AVTAK for a second. With Craig, not so much.
    Craig is a great actor, and three of his Bond films have been fantastic I think, but he's the first Bond actor, since I've been into Bond, that I wouldn't mind if he didn't do the next one.
    I didn't want Tim to go, and I didn't want Pierce to go. But when I saw the end of Spectre, I was quite relieved that it looked like Craig's tenure was over. Which sounds really mean-spirited, because he's a great actor and I'm sure a great bloke, but he never felt like the movie James Bond to me.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I actually think that, other than the "snow scenes", which tend to be hard on the appearance of some actors , Craig looked great in Spectre. I don't see it as him trying too look "young", he's just better groomed. For the most part his hair was spot on and he had a good tan.
    Yes he will look older, like all of us he's getting older, but I still say, properly groomed, he will be fit and ready when the camera rolls .

I disagree about Moore in AVTAK vs. Craig now. Craig seems younger. I don't know if it's healthier living or longer lifespans or what have you, but a man at 50 does not look as old now as one did back in 1985.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Even in SP Craig still looks like he could break the LALD Moore Bond in half!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

But Moore has a special move that can put anyone, even Craig Bond, in a tough spot: when he lifts himself up and double kicks his enemy right in the arse. ;)
    Craig is a great actor, and three of his Bond films have been fantastic I think, but he's the first Bond actor, since I've been into Bond, that I wouldn't mind if he didn't do the next one.
    I didn't want Tim to go, and I didn't want Pierce to go. But when I saw the end of Spectre, I was quite relieved that it looked like Craig's tenure was over. Which sounds really mean-spirited, because he's a great actor and I'm sure a great bloke, but he never felt like the movie James Bond to me.
    It's not mean spirited, I can assure you. I mean, it's not like he would have been cut down in his prime or anything had he left after SP. We are talking about a 9 year run (up to the end of SP) and a 13 year run (by the time it's all finally over and done with), so your perspective is completely understandable.

As I've said before, this is the James Bond show. It's only become a side show about the actor more recently, since continuity was foisted upon us, and perhaps on account of social media and so on. With any luck, it will get back to being about the character and less about the actor soon enough.
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    29249919_1833307276736463_7731245066160701440_n.jpg?oh=18f455d1ca253e1754beb63f5f7faf42&oe=5B309DB3

Daniel visited the NSA - National Cryptologic Museum this week.

Could he be doing some research?

Oh dear, looks like it wasn't just a case of bad lighting at the BAFTA's. Hope he starts getting in shape soon.

I like this look actually. I think he does look a bit better here than at the BAFTA awards.

He looks incredibly old school, like he could be playing Eddie Haskell's father or Wally Cleaver's high school principal in an episode of Leave It To Beaver

Hey, maybe Boyle's "great idea" is to set B25 in 1962?

Nah, I doubt it. If it were, Craig would fit right in. I'd still take that over the stepbrother angle, killing off Bond, etc any day of the week.

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

But Moore has a special move that can put anyone, even Craig Bond, in a tough spot: when he lifts himself up and double kicks his enemy right in the arse. ;)

Damn, I forgot about that deadly move!
    Craig is getting old no doubt about it although I do think he looked good in SP. But given the pool of candidates for his succession I'm glad he's doing one more.

And people comparing him with Moore forget that Moore looked exceptionally youthful for his age.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Nah, I doubt it. If it were, Craig would fit right in. I'd still take that over the stepbrother angle, killing off Bond, etc any day of the week.
    A one-off, out-of-the-blue period film before we go back to regular service in the next era? Don't think Eon would be game (though whatever Boyle is cooking up neither did he), but I am. So long as it's just a one and done. Bond really does need set in the present. It's how the franchise has survived. The possibility of a brief excursion to the past is intriguing, however. That Craig would be the lead makes it even more so. That would spit in the face of the continuity.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I don't disagree but there is precedent.

Farewell, My Lovely (1975). Robert Mitchum as Philip Marlowe in 1940s Los Angeles.
    The Big Sleep (1978). Robert Mitchum as Philip Marlowe in 1970s London. Plus he was 60.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    And people comparing him with Moore forget that Moore looked exceptionally youthful for his age.
    That he most certainly did, which justified his long tenure to some extent. Plus as others have noted, his appeal came from the old school, almost whimsical charms of his characterization, which wasn't as dependent on the perception of youth and vigour for its drawing power.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    You guys are all crazy... Moore looked old from FYEO on. He was still an attractive older dude, but he ran on charm and ultimately made the whole series feel aged and dated (at the time)

There's no denying that Roger Moore looked great in LALD, despite himself suffering from a kidney stone and being in somewhat poor health during the early stages of production. I just feel the producers didn't want to take another gamble again on a lesser known name, same happened with Brosnan after Dalton, which was why they went for an older Bond with an already established presence, when the wise thing would've been to have gone with a much younger actor to rejuvenate the series. I honestly don't think they were really looking beyond Moore doing 3 Bond pictures for them in total, hence why TMWTGG was turned around so quickly. I believe Moore got away with it due to the landscape around him. Most of the other big BO movie stars of that period were also of a similar age; McQueen, Bronson, Eastwood, Newman, Heston, so it was fair to say that audiences didn't have a problem with an older actor in a lead role. Today's market is quite different, whereby everything is tilted more towards youth. Just think, the original producers of Logan's Run changed the age of "Lastday" from 21 to 30 because they felt the audience wouldn't identify with such a young cast. That wouldn't happen today.

Strog wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »

A one-off, out-of-the-blue period film before we go back to regular service in the next era? Don't think Eon would be game (though whatever Boyle is cooking up neither did he), but I am. So long as it's just a one and done. Bond really does need set in the present. It's how the franchise has survived. The possibility of a brief excursion to the past is intriguing, however. That Craig would be the lead makes it even more so. That would spit in the face of the continuity.
    How far back?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Bond is and should be forward-looking. No flashbacks.