No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

I agree with most of this. Lots of reasons to be upbeat.

I’m most excited by the idea of a Bond film with a strong story - haven’t had this for years.
    If the characters are as strong as in T2 Trainspotting, I will be very lenient with any kind of story. But a good story... wow, that would fill up my lungs!
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    I just revisited some Boyle films... they do have story, energy, genuinely funny moments, and great music.

Now, I couldn't get through 28 Days Later, it's clearly a low budget film elevated to mass popularity by skill and the idea of it, but it's not my thing. Better films to watch and see his style are Trainspotting, Slumdog Millionaire and 127 Hours. The last one I had never seen. I knew the story so I was expecting to be bored, but not even close, I was quite surprised about how much I liked it. That has everything to do with Boyle.

I also watched the T2 Trainspotting sequel and was pleasantly surprised about how good it was for a sequel.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 684
    Happened upon this crop of news:

(1) Gary Barber is out as MGM's CEO -- unclear if/how impacts B25
    (2) Conference call takes place March 28
    (3) Apparently WB is at the top of foreign distributors list -- can't remember if this is new? know they were rumored but at the top of the list?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/gary-barber-as-ceo-mgm-1095794
    MGM Shake-Up: Gary Barber Out as Chairman-CEO
    by Pamela McClintock

In yet another major leadership shake-up at a Hollywood studio, Gary Barber is out as CEO and chairman of MGM. He arrived at the company in 2010 after the once-storied studio emerged from bankruptcy.

“Over the past eight years, MGM has successfully built a world class company and talented team,” Kevin Ulrich, chairman of the MGM board of directors, said Monday night in a statement.

There was no explanation for Barber's abrupt exit after running MGM for eight years, including overseeing the James Bond film franchise. On Oct. 5, 2017, Barber had reupped with the studio and extended his contract for five years, through December 2022, making his exit all the more surprising across Hollywood.

Huge wins for Barber have included the past two Bond films. But his departure follows a mixed run at the box office more recently, including this past weekend's tepid domestic debut of Tomb Raider. MGM and Eon Productions have planned a Nov. 8, 2019, domestic release date for Bond 25, starring Daniel Craig.

MGM and Eon have yet to announce a foreign distributor for Bond 25, but sources say Warner Bros. is at the top of the list. It is unclear how Barber’s exit impacts those talks or getting the film into production.

Barber was also instrumental in MGM's push into television. In September 2014, the company acquired a 55 percent stake in One Three Media and LightWorkers Media, the companies co-owned by Mark Burnett and Roma Downey. The deal gave MGM an interest in hit shows like Survivor and The Voice. In December 2015, Burnett was named president of MGM Television and Digital Group.

MGM Television also had a huge commercial and critical success with The Handmaid's Tale. The company had purchased the movie rights to Margaret Atwood's dystopian novel in the 1990s and finally adapted the book as a prestige drama series for Hulu, with the show going on to win eight Emmys last year. A highly anticipated second season premieres in April.

The board will brief investors during an earnings call on March 28.

“With this transformation complete, MGM is uniquely positioned for exceptional future growth in the evolving entertainment landscape," said Ulrich. "Now is the right time to enable the next generation of leadership who can help drive the creativity, collaboration and partnership needed to continue the company’s positive trajectory. Looking forward, we are committed to empowering our team to take charge, innovate and execute on the promising opportunities in front of MGM."

Since emerging from Chapter 11 bankruptcy, MGM has relied on other studios to market distribute its films. More recently, however, it formed a joint venture with Megan Ellison's Annapurna Pictures that put it back into the domestic distribution business.

Barber joined MGM from Spyglass Entertainment, which he ran with Roger Birnbaum.

The MGM board has temporarily formed an office of the CEO to oversee the company’s day-to-day operations during the transition. The office will report directly to the board and include a group of divisional heads and senior executives.

Added Ulrich: “On behalf of MGM’s Board of Directors, I would like to thank Gary for his contributions and for leading MGM with the highest integrity over the last eight years. Gary has played a key role in the development and execution of our strategic plan, which laid an important foundation for MGM.”

The other board members are Ann Mather, formerly of Pixar, Paramount Pictures and Disney; Fredric Reynolds, formerly of CBS and Viacom; Nancy Tellem, formerly of Microsoft/Xbox Studios and CBS; David Krane, CEO of Google Ventures; and James Dondero, CEO of Highland Capital Management.
    @bondjames Thanks for the intel.

I wonder if Bond will become a double agent in the 25th. Putin’s bitch but not really Putin’s bitch.
    Don't think it is Warner Brothers, they moved the release of Wonder Woman 2 on the 1st Nov. 2019

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/wonder-woman-2-release-date-moves-up-6-weeks-1057572
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    Don't think it is Warner Brothers, they moved the release of Wonder Woman 2 on the 1st Nov. 2019

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/wonder-woman-2-release-date-moves-up-6-weeks-1057572

which they can still move again if they get Bond, fyi.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    As long as it’s not Disney or Annapurna, I’ll be satisfied.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA

Annapurna is supposed to be handling domestic distribution.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 15,423

Annapurna is supposed to be handling domestic distribution.
    Still unconfirmed. And I hope it stays away from Bond.
    http://deadline.com/2017/11/james-bond-domestic-release-deal-mgm-annapurna-daniel-craig-1202205255/

I call it pretty official if it's from deadline but we will see.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer

I'm surprised at how misleading this article has become for most. It clearly states that it is NOT a done deal yet. A writer from Variety misread the article and put it in his piece, only to omit the fact that Annapurna had domestic. Last week Mendelson (Forbes) actually used the Deadline article as proof of the done deal. Once it was pointed out to him that he was incorrect, he withdrew the sentences in question.

I always had a suspicion that these 'credible' writers were misinterpreting the DL article and I was dead right... they didn't do their homework and it's frankly quite frustrating to see.

I'm not saying that the deal between MGM and Annapurna definitely hadn't been made (for B25), or won't ever be made, just that the piece by DL in no form suggests that it was made in November last year.
  • antovolk wrote: »
    Bernie99 wrote: »

which they can still move again if they get Bond, fyi.

Or move Bond if they get Bond.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 2,115

But still not announced four months later. Also, to be technical, that's the Annapurna-MGM joint venture. And that was only for the U.S. domestic deal.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 2,115

I'm surprised at how misleading this article has become for most. It clearly states that it is NOT a done deal yet. A writer from Variety misread the article and put it in his piece, only to omit the fact that Annapurna had domestic. Last week Mendelson (Forbes) actually used the Deadline article as proof of the done deal. Once it was pointed out to him that he was incorrect, he withdrew the sentences in question.

I always had a suspicion that these 'credible' writers were misinterpreting the DL article and I was dead right... they didn't do their homework and it's frankly quite frustrating to see.

I'm not saying that the deal between MGM and Annapurna definitely hadn't been made (for B25), or won't ever be made, just that the piece by DL in no form suggests that it was made in November last year.

Absolutely. The phrase in the Deadline story was "thisclose," or very close.

They have never, ever made an official announcement. Also, again, it is the Annapurna-MGM joint venture we're talking about. Somehow, that has become translated to "Annapurna is distributing the movie in the U.S."
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    @Strog thanks for the info on Barber. That is fascinating news. It could mean many things of course, but a departure of this magnitude suggests a lot is happening behind the scenes at MGM that we are as of yet possibly unaware of. I don't think it's a coincidence regarding the timing of this and the changes happening with B25 all of a sudden (Boyle & new script etc). It could also imply an MGM acquisition or merger is in the works.

That March 28th call should be quite illuminating & informative (one hopes).

Re: domestic distribution: my understanding is that as of now, MGM is planning to distribute under its own banner (I believe I read that somewhere). This could change in the future of course.
    Best news in quite some time, IMO. I tend to associate Gary Barber with the phrase "4 year gap". Thanks to that conference call some time back when he confirmed the Bonds would stick to their 3-4 year schedule.
    I'd like to think there is now a glimmer of hope a new CEO might plan on upping Eon's productivity.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 684
    bondjames wrote: »
    It could also imply an MGM acquisition or merger is in the works.
    @bondjames There appear to be a couple more details now. He was fired, and it was "over disagreements on strategy about the future direction of the company."

Deadline.
    UPDATED 8:57 PM from previous 7:20 PM: Gary Barber was asked to leave as Chairman/CEO of MGM and MGM Holdings Inc. Its Board of Directors then immediately initiated what they are calling “a CEO transition” to begin looking for a new chief executive officer. Barber has served at the company for the past eight years, leading its growth, and still had four years left on his contract.

We were told by one exec that MGM Holdings ousted Barber over disagreements on strategy about the future direction of the company. In no uncertain terms, Barber was asked to leave the company, a move that sent has employees reeling. Some, we were told, were crying. “It’s been incredibly hard,” said one employee. “We love him.” Another called Barber’s sudden departure “gut-wrenching.”
    Barber's contract was apparently renewed for another five years just in October of 2017. Something changed in five months.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    @Strog thanks for the info on Barber. That is fascinating news. It could mean many things of course, but a departure of this magnitude suggests a lot is happening behind the scenes at MGM that we are as of yet possibly unaware of. I don't think it's a coincidence regarding the timing of this and the changes happening with B25 all of a sudden (Boyle & new script etc). It could also imply an MGM acquisition or merger is in the works.

That March 28th call should be quite illuminating & informative (one hopes).

Re: domestic distribution: my understanding is that as of now, MGM is planning to distribute under its own banner (I believe I read that somewhere). This could change in the future of course.

Under terms of the MGM-Annapurna joint venture, the movies from each studio carry that studio's brand name. An MGM movie distributed through the joint venture would be called an MGM movie (like the recent Death Wish, the first film distributed by the joint venture). An Annpurna movie released under the joint venture is branded Annapurna.

What Deadline reported in November was the joint venture had nearly wrapped up the Bond 25 U.S. domestic distribution. But there has been no announcement since that story.
    bondjames wrote: »

Under terms of the MGM-Annapurna joint venture, the movies from each studio carry that studio's brand name. An MGM movie distributed through the joint venture would be called an MGM movie (like the recent Death Wish, the first film distributed by the joint venture). An Annpurna movie released under the joint venture is branded Annapurna.

What Deadline reported in November was the joint venture had nearly wrapped up the Bond 25 U.S. domestic distribution. But there has been no announcement since that story.
    Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I remember that now. I'm really not surprised that we haven't heard anything more yet, because I would imagine that MGM would want to officially announce both the domestic and foreign distributor together.

Moreover, it's possible (but not necessary) that the foreign deal is at least partially contingent or dependant on the domestic deal and vice versa.
    I guess it's fair to say that if this blindsided Barber (and it seems all the MGM employees) then it also came out of nowhere for Eon.

If this is the first step in a sale/merger, how big of a wrench in the works are we looking at?
    Strog wrote: »
    I guess it's fair to say that if this blindsided Barber (and it seems all the MGM employees) then it also came out of nowhere for Eon.

If this is the first step in a sale/merger, how big of a wrench in the works are we looking at?
    If it is the first step in an MGM sale or merger then it could potentially cause a delay. Then again it might not, because an acquirer would perhaps want a Bond film released sooner rather than later. So it's difficult to say at this stage.

I hope we get substantially more information at the conference call, but unfortunately during such events information only comes out once everything is finally wrapped.

A CEO change is not an inconsequential event irrespective of what is happening. It does have an impact.
    Guys I think eon are waiting for all the ducks to line in a row the director and the distribution before they make an official announcement that's probably why annapurna hasn't been officially announced.
    I don't know... After this sudden departure of Gary Barber, it might even be less likely for the Annapurna deal to come through. I'm saying this based on my instincts, of course. And I hope Annapurna does not get its hands on Bond.
    I don't know... After this sudden departure of Gary Barber, it might even be less likely for the Annapurna deal to come through. I'm saying this based on my instincts, of course. And I hope Annapurna does not get its hands on Bond.

What's your issue with annapurna?
    Not a fan of the types of films they make. Same goes for Disney.

Oh I see well I don't think they will have too much creative control
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Barber's firing shouldn't change anything.

Annapurna will have zero creative control....
    I'm very glad to hear that. At least I wouldn't worry if they get it.