No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    More to this Gary Barber news. It's either political as MGM aee makers of the Apprentice it was alleged previously Barber sanctioned the release of the "grab pussy" Trump off air recording against the Series Produces wishes and having breached a contract in doing so. Or something unsavoury is about to come out and MGM have cut ties to protect the brand.
    @Birdleson

Period piece as in set sometime before SP in Craig’s timeline, or a total reboot which happens to use Craig as Bond?
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 684
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Sorry to interject a different issue here (and it's probably already been covered), but I keep getting little bits and flashes from various posts and articles that Boyle and Hodge are interested in taking a new approach to the franchise (I cannot find the actual quote; am I in error?). Does anytime else think that this could possibly be a period piece? It would be a nice way to use Daniel without having to bother with SP and all of it's implications.
    Re: the period piece: yes! @ToTheRight brought that up on page 1406, and he and myself were discussing it in this thread a few days back. An intriguing possibility and one I'd be totally on board with. Solves SP and its implications, as you say.

As far as the quote, I'm not sure there was one directly from Boyle and/or Hodge (but I also could have missed it). It seems rather more like guesswork based on other quotes about and/or from Boyle regarding his working process and such.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Bond always and should always reflect the times we live in so I highly doubt it will be a period piece.
    Bond always and should always reflect the times we live in so I highly doubt it will be a period piece.

I don’t think it will be either. In fact, the comments Boyle made about writing it in “real time” seem to nearly deconfirm that.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Plus boyle just recently implied it will be written in the times we live in so I don't understand where this period piece idea is coming maybe a fleming based tv series yes but a bond film no.
    Plus boyle just recently implied it will be written in the times we live in so I don't understand where this period piece idea is coming maybe a fleming based tv series yes but a bond film no.
    It was just tossed out there as being the 'great idea' Boyle supposedly went to Eon with—because to go to Eon with an idea would imply it was something more than just, "Bond goes on assignment" and speculation arose that the concept could be a period piece, as one possibility.

Actually, @Birdleson, is that what you were after? The quote about Boyle having some great idea that he went to Eon with?
    I’m fascinated to see what Boyle/Hodge’s idea is, but I do doubt it’s a period piece. I’m most curious to see how much of SP will play a part in Bond 25, if at all.
    A period piece Bond movie is in and of itself certainly NOT a great or unique idea, it's an idea that has been out there for decades. Listen to how he says "it's a great idea":

I seriously doubt he would be this enthusiastic about their idea if it were simply doing a Bond film set in the past.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The great idea can be that it s nothing personal, Bond doesn t go rogue and there are no traitors to be dealt with.
    That laugh at the end there is still as funny as the first time the clip was posted, haha!
    A period piece Bond movie is in and of itself certainly NOT a great or unique idea, it's an idea that has been out there for decades. Listen to how he says "it's a great idea":

I seriously doubt he would be this enthusiastic about their idea if it were simply doing a Bond film set in the past.
    I'd agree that 'period piece' as an idea is unoriginal. However there was another rumored half to the 'great idea' morsel which suggested Boyle thought Eon wouldn't go for whatever the idea was. (Not sure when this started or where it came from.) If that were true, then an idea which required a Bond situated in the past would better fit. Doesn't seem something Eon would naturally go for.

But again, yes, this is all more unlikely than likely. The idea is probably more original.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    So Bond 25 can be delayed by a MGM shakeup?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Hollywood might have blacklisted him, but EON surely haven't. 3:-O
    Bring Arnold back!!!!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Why would Hollywood blacklist Arnold? Was there a scandal or something?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    giphy.gif
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Just a baseless rumour.
    No, he is just an awful composer. Hollywood loves blacklisting awful composers.
    Oh dear...
    giphy.gif
    «New director you say? Hm…»
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Oh dear...

Indeed. Eyeroll worthy.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

It's not April first yet.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Oh dear...
    Indeed. Eyeroll worthy.
    That's heavily understating it.
    Murdock wrote: »
    It's not April first yet.
    To some people, every day is April first. ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    The latest on Barber. This is not a #MeToo sacking. It apparently has to do with differences in strategic direction. This supposedly ran foul of the Chairman of the Board, Kevin Ulrich, who is also the CEO of Anchorage Capital Group, a hedge fund & the owner of MGM.

My speculation is that this has something to do with the business deals that Barber has been making, which sort of create a web of interests. It is more difficult for Anchorage to exit MGM while those cross deals exist.

We will apparently get more information on the call. Hopefully that includes details on the elusive foreign distributor and B25, but somehow I doubt it based on this recent turn of events.

http://deadline.com/2018/03/mgm-ceo-gary-barber-exiting-company-1202346588/

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/gary-barber-leaving-mgm-chairman-1202731059/
  • bondjames wrote: »
    The latest on Barber. This is not a #MeToo sacking. It apparently has to do with differences in strategic direction. This supposedly ran foul of the Chairman of the Board, Kevin Ulrich, who is also the CEO of Anchorage Capital Group, a hedge fund & the owner of MGM.

My speculation is that this has something to do with the business deals that Barber has been making, which sort of create a web of interests. It is more difficult for Anchorage to exit MGM while those cross deals exist.

We will apparently get more information on the call. Hopefully that includes details on the elusive foreign distributor and B25, but somehow I doubt it based on this recent turn of events.

http://deadline.com/2018/03/mgm-ceo-gary-barber-exiting-company-1202346588/

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/gary-barber-leaving-mgm-chairman-1202731059/

Barber has been gradually rebuilding MGM so it resembles a "big boy" studio again. The deal with Annapurna to form the joint venture was a step toward getting more distribution control over its own films (rather than cut deals with other studios on a film by film basis).

MGM is mostly owned by hedge funds. MGM has been out of bankruptcy for eight years. It may be they simply want to sell and get whatever profits they can. They got in cheap during bankruptcy.
  • RC7RC7

Barbara and Michael are there too tonight.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 12,269
    Looked back to the old Bond 24 script details from Logan's draft. There were some very cool ideas in it, but at the same time much of it was really not so good. I wonder if it would have been better or worse than what P&W came up with...

And I wonder if Bond 25 will have a tough time in the script department again...