Things We've Learned from…..Spectre

Comments

Rog was at fault because he simply did not take the character seriously and embraced all of the silliness. All of it.
    John Barry made that choice because he was given a stunt that was played as a comedic gag instead of an action gag with jeopardy.

If there was no fight in the ski chase, how could it be considered a fight? Cuz Rog elbows a guy? Was that even Rog, cuz if I remember correctly, he was not even at the location, all his stuff was done as rear projection. I will say there are a few cool wide shots in that sequence, or is that me channeling the uber-cool OHMSS?

Is that Jaws fight the one when he somehow flips a guy that outweighs him by two hundred pounds out the train window like Tee Hee and the bad guy in DAF? THAT"S memorable?

I don't mind Bond using his smarts, like he does in the good Bond movies, but don't tell me that the Moore films are filled with good fight and action sequences when they really are not. Rog was the master of the wink, giggle and tickle, but sure not the bada$$ that Craig, Connery and Lazenby are/were.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    edited December 2014 Posts: 3,343
    TMWTGG fight in the belly dancers dressing room, Octopussy train fight even though most was stunt work. Regardless if you like his films, you can't deny the most iconic action images come from the Moore era. Ski jump, sky dive fight, fighting on top of a plane, etc.

Can we start a thread called Moore is the Worst and restrict all related conversation there? At least the trolling would be resigned to one thread and not overrun dozens of other quality threads on the board.

52.) Goony birds do not have a good sense of direction.
    Can we start a thread called Moore is the Worst and restrict all related conversation there? At least the trolling would be resigned to one thread and not overrun dozens of other quality threads on the board.

Why, sir? Because you can't debate civilly and respectfully? I'm polite, why can't you be?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,529
    Rog was at fault because he simply did not take the character seriously and embraced all of the silliness. All of it.

So you flat-out expect that the producers gave their lead actor script approval?
    If Moore didn't take the character seriously, you never saw FYEO.

Look, I agree with you, the whistle should never have been part of the car stunt but I'm merely pointing out the fundamental flaw in your reasoning here: Roger has nothing to do with it! (Literally in the case of this stunt.)

Connery "embraced" the silliness in YOLT, DAF and NSNA too. What's your point? That Connery is to be blamed for McClory messing things up really good?

I'm sorry but your case about Roger being the reason some things went bad during his era is exceptionally thin. Another actor would most likely have played things differently in LALD and TMWTGG and over time they would have given him other material too. That may all be true. But again I don't see why Rog should take the blame for a blonde chick kicking a doomsday machine alive with her rear, or for an overzealous Louisiana Sheriff causing an international conflict in Asia.

• edited December 2014 Posts: 5,802
    Time to put this thread back on track :

52) The famous Golden Gun is a product of Colt (at least in Germany).
    Nothing I said was impolite.

Don't confuse trolling and derailing threads with civility. However, we both know you didn't seriously mean that and are just trying to further troll. Nice try, I will no longer be reading your antagonistic posts.

53.) Sunken boats make great secret base headquarters.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

1) So you flat-out expect that the producers gave their lead actor script approval?
    If Moore didn't take the character seriously, you never saw FYEO.

2) Look, I agree with you, the whistle should never have been part of the car stunt but I'm merely pointing out the fundamental flaw in your reasoning here: Roger has nothing to do with it! (Literally in the case of this stunt.)

3) Connery "embraced" the silliness in YOLT, DAF and NSNA too. What's your point? That Connery is to be blamed for McClory messing things up really good?

4) I'm sorry but your case about Roger being the reason some things went bad during his era is exceptionally thin. Another actor would most likely have played things differently in LALD and TMWTGG and over time they would have given him other material too. That may all be true. But again I don't see why Rog should take the blame for a blonde chick kicking a doomsday machine alive with her rear, or for an overzealous Louisiana Sheriff causing an international conflict in Asia.

1) Sir, with respect, I've worked in film for twenty years and yes, that's the way it works, the star usually approves the script. Especially a franchise like this where the star is the product. I have seen FYEO and I've stated on other threads that this is the one Rog Bond film that I can palate, but even that picture has it's share of silliness. Hockey fight, anyone?

2) It's not just the whistle, it's the way that Rog makes fun of the Sheriff's drawl that sets up and sends the scene into the realm of comedy.

3) Blame is to be shared equally, and Connery is as much responsible to me for the silliness in his films, ESPECIALLY DAF. What was he thinking? $$$$, anyone?

4) Because that was the tone that he AND EON wanted. ROg never took the role seriously, and EON perpetually chased GF's blockbuster numbers across the seventies and early eighties.

Look, there's stuff ROg could do, but he sure could not take the role seriously and he was lousy in the action stuff, which to me is inherent to the character.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883
    I found Moore's fights very memorable.

That's different from asking whether Moore was a good on-screen fighter or whether he was believable as a fighter. He wasn't really, but I liked his fight scenes personally. They were amusing which fit the tone of his films.

The tone of his fights in the 70's were less violent than in the early Connery 60's or in the 00's with Craig. However, I found his fights similar in tone to the Dalton era & the Brosnan era (with the exception of GE's end fight with 006, which is up there with the 60's & 00's for me as exceptionally good).
    Did you like it when he punched Jaws in the mouth over and over again and shaking his hand like Daffy Duck? IS that a memorable fighter?

The GE fight at the end is one of the best moments of the franchise, in my opinion.
    Did you like it when he punched Jaws in the mouth over and over again and shaking his hand like Daffy Duck? IS that a memorable fighter?

The GE fight at the end is one of the best moments of the franchise, in my opinion.

His movies were sort of humorous overall and the fights reflected that. That was the tone they were going for in the overblown (for Bond) 70's. I admit some of his movies are not dating that well now because we are all on a serious tone 'Craig' kick, myself included. However, I still personally don't mind his fight scenes. There are other aspects of his movies that I really enjoy, which allow me to overlook his deficiencies in this area.
    bondjames wrote: »

His movies were sort of humorous overall and the fights reflected that. That was the tone they were going for in the overblown (for Bond) 70's. I admit some of his movies are not dating that well now because we are all on a serious tone 'Craig' kick, myself included. However, I still personally don't mind his fight scenes. There are other aspects of his movies that I really enjoy, which allow me to overlook his deficiencies in this area.

Yes, I understand that, I'm just respectfully stating my case as to why they were bad films.
    ISn't there a scene in OP where Bond wears a gorilla suit?
    Yes, I understand that, I'm just respectfully stating my case as to why they were bad films.

A suitable disguise given where he was located (a circus train - storage car) and the limited options available to him. Not exactly his finest hour, I'll give you that.
    50.) Hip's nieces have a father who runs his own Karate School
    51.) The going rate for fixing boats in Thailand is 20,000 Baht.

52. M will allow 007 to go on a personal assigment and then be upset he didn't check in even though he was going off the books
    53. M will only send the dumbest and most inexperienced agents (Lt Hip and Goodnight both) to help out James
    54. Q will be told to shut up even though he is answering M's Questions
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 1,146
    bondjames wrote: »

A suitable disguise given where he was located (a circus train - storage car) and the limited options available to him. Not exactly his finest hour, I'll give you that.

I will say that the shot in OP where the huge henchman guy swings his sword and in the BG we see Moore Bond rising through a door in the roof of the train compartment is pretty cool.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

1) Sir, with respect, I've worked in film for twenty years and yes, that's the way it works, the star usually approves the script. Especially a franchise like this where the star is the product.

So if the star rejects the script what happens? A total rewrite?
    George Lazenby had script approval for OHMSS?

Now, I would say that the star isn't the product, the character is. And all of those comedy elements like the double taking pigeon were unlikely to have been in the script. More than likely added at a later date.

As for the whistle noise during the car jump in TMWTGG, that was added later by John Bary much to his own regret.

This was a time when the Bonds were going through a transition period, and the comedy element was coming to the fore. It slowly petered out during the 80s, but Cubby was reluctant to drop it altogether. Roger was more comfortable with the comedy granted, but on the whole the comedy happened despite his presence, not because of it.
    NicNac wrote: »

1) Sir, with respect, I've worked in film for twenty years and yes, that's the way it works, the star usually approves the script. Especially a franchise like this where the star is the product.

A) So if the star rejects the script what happens? A total rewrite?
    George Lazenby had script approval for OHMSS?

B) Now, I would say that the star isn't the product, the character is. And all of those comedy elements like the double taking pigeon were unlikely to have been in the script. More than likely added at a later date.

C) As for the whistle noise during the car jump in TMWTGG, that was added later by John Bary much to his own regret.

D) This was a time when the Bonds were going through a transition period, and the comedy element was coming to the fore. It slowly petered out during the 80s, but Cubby was reluctant to drop it altogether. Roger was more comfortable with the comedy granted, but on the whole the comedy happened despite his presence, not because of it.

A) George was not a star at that point, so I figure not.

B) There was a double-taking pidgeon in a Moore Bond? Ugh. Of course there was.

C) I could forgive the train whistle if that was the only problem with that film, but it wasn't.

D) The laugh fest went on for more than a decade, and honestly if Cubby had lived to have seen the box office for the Craig Bonds he would have dropped the humor factor as well.
    Honestly I don't blame Moore, I blame George Lazenby for being an idiot. According to WIki, his agent turned down a SEVEN picture deal. He would have been a great Bond for the 70's, in my opinion.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    SO there are no good fight or sequences in Moore Bonds?

If you're an inveterate Moore hater then there probably isn't.

Bond isn't an entirely serious character to begin with. The concept is a little silly from the get-go. I'd compare it in seriousness to Indiana Jones.

This is an excellent idea.

55. that auto-pilot on a junk means it will actually pilot itself to your destination.

56. That the Red Chinese are such accommodating hosts to a famous assassin that they don't demand the secret to his revolutionary weaponry and power generation.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    You've never gotten the double posting warning, I see.

Can we stop the Moore bashing for this thread? None of his films were his fault, and it has NOTHING to do with the point of this thread. This thread has gone horribly off-topic.
    57. Don't go to dinner with a fellow agent unless you like the taste of Phu-Yuk

This is an excellent idea.

How is the idea of one-sided threads with nothing more that cycophantic cheerleading a good one? This is merely an exchange of ideas and opinions. I'm debating politely, stating what I think is good and bad about the different films, applauding where it's merited, and certainly not when it's not deserved.
    EON is not perfect.
    John Gavin was almost James Bond, never forget.
    58. If you employ the services of someone and he starts connecting his gold pen with his lighter, run.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    59. Don't tell the man who's about to kill you anything about the mausoleum you keep on your property.
    59) Beware of dwarfs bringing Black Velvet and Tabasco.
    I think there were some decent Moore hand to hand fights in TSWLM at the Egyptian contacts apartment on the balcony and at the pyramids with the KGB stooges even if they both ended with the usual Roger quip. I feel the idea was always for Moore to portray Bond as a more successful sophisticated force using his mind for more deadly effect than the Craig like brawn, belt the living ***$ out of the bad guys type of MrMuscle.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    @doubleohdad, for heaven's sake and Bond's sake and our members' sake, please stop derailing practically every thread with your hatred of Moore's Bond and your insistence on "give me one example" and arguing here in this thread, which is a fun list.

There are threads where you can discuss and debate Moore to your heart's content (although your "polite" debate is really usually just bashing). Please stop clogging up so many threads and derailing them.

Please stop your triple/quadruple posts also. Just edit your previous post.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 1,778
    For the record we're up to #62.

@DoubleOhDad please stop veering us off topic. I didn't start this thread to be about Roger Moore's action scenes. There are several threads on this site devoted entirely to Moore's performances. The most recent is "Moore's best acting performances" which I'm sure you can find. Or a thread I started years ago called "Roger Moore CAN act". I'll post the link below.
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1296/roger-moore-can-act#latest

As a massive Roger Moore fan I'd be more than happy to continue this debate there and defend the man I consider to be the second most important actor to appear in the Bond series, in terms of his contributions.

63) Upon facing the prospect of two willing women in his room at the same time, Bond will do the gentlemanly thing and lock one of them in a closet and save her for later, like a piece of meat.

64) In the interest of pure romance Bond will comfort the scorned woman by assuring her "Your turn will come" as if she were a child waiting for ice cream.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Nick nack has a thing for islands and fantasies
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    65 There is something about dwarves and gold.