Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited March 2017 Posts: 8,112
    Do You guys want turner to be bond ?

Absolutely! :-bd

I think he is the most likely candidate right now, and with all the troubles they're having it could happen sooner than we think!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    bondjames wrote: »
    Unfortunately, Elba being black sometimes impacts the conversation. I don't think he ever had a crack due to this.

However, there's no denying that some of the attributes he embodies so effortlessly are what a decent Bond actor must have, and I think that's why his name keeps coming up also.

I'm actually a big fan and would love to see him cast in a spy film of his own. He has tremendous charisma and would be welcome in the Bond universe as either a friend or foe. But, he is no more Bond than Jackie Chan, Gillian Anderson, or Peter Dinklage, just to name a few.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    talos7 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, Elba being black sometimes impacts the conversation. I don't think he ever had a crack due to this.

However, there's no denying that some of the attributes he embodies so effortlessly are what a decent Bond actor must have, and I think that's why his name keeps coming up also.

I'm actually a big fan and would love to see him cast in a spy film of his own. He has tremendous charisma and would be welcome in the Bond universe as either a friend or foe. But, he is no more Bond than Jackie Chan, Gillian Anderson, or Peter Dinklage, just to name a few.
    Fair enough. I've never seen him as Bond either, but he has incredible natural cool and swagger. Connery'esque in this respect compared to some of the Bond actors we've had, and a throwback to the machismo of the past. The fact that his name keeps coming up is because people recognize that, I feel.

Although I haven't seen it, there was a film released last year entitled Bastille Day which was intended to showcase his bona fides as a leading action hero. Sadly its release coincided with the ISIL lorry attack in Nice on the same day and I think it was pulled in most markets.
    I'll have to put Bastille Day on my to watch list.
    I've seen it...its not very good,but he is ok in it,even if it is ,once again,a Brit playing an American.
  • RC7RC7
    talos7 wrote: »
    Elba was never actually considered; his status as a possible 007 was largely a product of the tabloids.

He was certainly discussed.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Wasn't it in the leaks when Amy Pascal seemed to have brought up the subject of Elba as Bond repeatedly?

Wasn't it in the leaks when Amy Pascal seemed to have brought up the subject of Elba as Bond repeatedly?

She did, but that is not EON or Broccoli

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I think imho there are only 2 real candidates , that I could imagine in the role, Hiddleston and tom hardy
    I think imho there are only 2 real candidates , that I could imagine in the role, Hiddleston and tom hardy

I think Fassbender could be included in that,apart from that I agree.

edited March 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Hiddleston - Too posh with little to no ruggedness to him.

Hardy - Way too rugged and thuggish no matter how much sophisticated he dresses up
  • NSGWNSGW London
    Fassbender is my top choice. I'm indifferent about Hiddleston and against Hardy. I'll throw Jack Huston out there to mix it up.

Hardy - Way too rugged and thuggish no matter how much sophisticated he dresses up

Have you seen Craig Circa 2003 or 4 , he looks like a bumbling dickhead I think you need an actor who is at least half way to bond and the other half is just getting into the role. Imho
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I never said Idris for Bond. As @bondjames noted, he's the only one who has swagger and machismo out of the so-called candidates.
    He could destroy Turner just by standing beside him.
    That kind of supreme, NATURAL cool is what Bond needs. No more man buns and beards and squinting into a camera, begging to be thought of as cool.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 15,423

Have you seen Craig Circa 2003 or 4 , he looks like a bumbling dickhead I think you need an actor who is at least half way to bond and the other half is just getting into the role. Imho
    I've seen Craig circa 2003-2004. Namely Layer Cake and even before that, Tomb Raider. In the Lara Croft film, I instantly took him to my liking without even memorizing his name, and was pleased when he was cast in the role in '05, even though I was sad to see Brosnan go. Craig can very well be sophisticated as well as rugged as we've seen him during his tenure as Bond. Hardy doesn't cut it for me. Seen his James Bond-like presence in the unwatchable film This Means War? I have. He tries. But, he isn't necessarily the Bond type. Many have tried before.

tumblr_mp76gawha31qe5f96o7_1280.jpg
    703_666143_806833.jpg
    9046b1e5c9a2d1fab66a304f0a781455.jpg

A few examples as seen above. Sorry, but just because he's a great actor and wears suits and knows how to do action, doesn't instantly make him fit for Bond. He just doesn't look it. He's the gangster/henchman/ex-military type. Not the sophisticated super-spy one.
    Doesnt look any different to Craig from what i can see...he certainly has my backing,as does Fassbender and Hiddleson.
    Especially that last photo looks straight out of qos
    I want to see Hardy as a villain against Craig as Bond. They are meant to go up against each other. Both vertically challenged thugs in suits.
    I want to see Hardy as a villain against Craig as Bond. They are meant to go up against each other. Both vertically challenged thugs in suits.

That's actually a good idea he could be like a bond equivalent red grant style
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Doesnt look any different to Craig from what i can see...
    Matter of perspective, I suppose.
    This, I'd love to see. Craig vs Hardy.
  • RC7RC7

I had an obsession, after seeing 'Legend', with visualising Craig facing off against an updated version of the Spang brothers - both played by Hardy.
    RC7 wrote: »

I had an obsession, after seeing 'Legend', with visualising Craig facing off against an updated version of the Spang brothers - both played by Hardy.
    Can you imagine? Mishka and Grishka style twins. Double trouble.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 1,661
    Here's a near unknown...

Brenton Thwaites - age 27.

Australian but I guess he can do a British accent. He's handsome in a non-intimidating way which might appeal to Babs and the younger teen demographic. You can see him in the new Pirates of the Caribbean 5 trailer.

3515d1f9c6bd7b4ae6df1f5d2bb9ffd4.jpg

Obviously he's never gonna be the next Sean Connery type Bond (!) but Daniel Craig reinvented the role so we have to keep moving the Bond image forward and a more teen-appeal type Bond - younger Bond - could be one way forward for the franchise.
    If you're going for a new actor, go for the one that combines alpha male masculinity and upper-class suaveness into one. Right now, I can't think of any actor who has that mojo.

I think trying to find the next Sean Connery/Roger Moore/Brosnan etc type Bond actor is a waste of time. If they don't exist then we might as well go for a different type of actor (as was the case with Daniel Craig).

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    A high school kid?
    I don't want someone who looks like a child as Bond.
    Nah he looks like one of those guys who will end up looking like 13 his whole life
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I have to say that when it comes to finding a actor for the role, the community at large is entirely wrongheaded in my opinion. We reject anyone under 30 (this chap will probably be 29/30 by the time of Bond 25), yet we cling to actors nearing half a century in age. That is absolutely the wrong way round if you ask me. In this day and age more than ever we should be looking for someone who can carry the franchise forward in the long term. Sure, they may look a tad on the young side in their debut, but they will also quickly age into the role, especially with the new precedent of long breaks between films. But besides that, Fleming didn't write the character in his fifties! We might as well support a woman Bond if we are going to ignore what Fleming wrote and stick to our own fantasy of what Bond should look like. Fleming wrote a virile, capable man of action. Someone in their late 20's, whilst not ideal, is still closer to what Fleming envisioned than someone who is reaching the age of a politician, or some head of state or whatever. Yes, I understand that the character is world-weary, worn out, disenchanted with modernity etc. But he is not an old man! The idea that Fleming was communicating is that the toll of such a profession bears a weight on the psyche and turns you into a cold-hearted cynic over time. I think many people seem to misinterpret this message, and think of Bond as middle-aged guy who is at a crossroads and doesn't know what he wants out of life. That is a very misguided view on what was the core conflict of the novels. By making Bond an older guy, you are actually removing part of the innocence of the character, that he has never known another existence. Not only that, but it goes against what we know from received wisdom i.e. that human beings are at their most physically capable from early 20's until late 30's. Having someone running around in their 50's with a gun is close to comical, and the only reason it kinda (I say, kinda) worked with Roger Moore is because those films had no pretense of attempting realism. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a younger Bond, and bear in mind that a lot of a persons maturity comes from the way they act and how they are dressed. For some good examples of young actors demonstrating maturity and professionalism, I recommend Ewan McGregor in Star Wars and Leo in Inception.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Here's a near unknown...

Brenton Thwaites - age 27.

Australian but I guess he can do a British accent. He's handsome in a non-intimidating way which might appeal to Babs and the younger teen demographic. You can see him in the new Pirates of the Caribbean 5 trailer.

3515d1f9c6bd7b4ae6df1f5d2bb9ffd4.jpg

Obviously he's never gonna be the next Sean Connery type Bond (!) but Daniel Craig reinvented the role so we have to keep moving the Bond image forward and a more teen-appeal type Bond - younger Bond - could be one way forward for the franchise.
    If you're going for a new actor, go for the one that combines alpha male masculinity and upper-class suaveness into one. Right now, I can't think of any actor who has that mojo.

I think trying to find the next Sean Connery/Roger Moore/Brosnan etc type Bond actor is a waste of time. If they don't exist then we might as well go for a different type of actor (as was the case with Daniel Craig).

NOPE.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Mendes, are we betraying what Fleming wrote by not having Bond smoke 70 cigs a day? No, 'cause times change. A thirty year old in the 1950s was far more aged than today's thirty year old.

And as far as your slight ageism, I know men in the military, men in charge of the military police here in Canada, who did four tours in Afghanistan, who just retired from action. He is in his late 50s.

Proper training (something I'm, well versed in), actually works chronologically, as I'm sure Talos can also explain to you. The more years spent in the gym, that is your gym age. So, I am 43 years old in real life, but I have been training for 25 years; I am a 25 year old man in gym terms and still in my prime-- not a 43 year old creaky fart!

This is why many of the competing strong men are well within their 40s, like my friend Stephen MacKenzie (who is mid 40s).

If Bond existed in today's world he'd be serviceable into his mid-50s.

And yes, I would welcome Craig showing us a spy in the twilight of his career. Cynical. Jaded, but god damn it all, he will still push his body another time for Queen and Country. Why? Because he's "motivated by (his) duty"; his hard wiring is one where he, like the aging athlete, just wants more go around since he knows nothing else.

DC can deliver on this characterization.

Some waif little man, or a poseur like Turner? No thanks. If you go young, give us a man, a masculine man with presence.

But I'm still in DC's corner where he can wrap up his era with something truly great (a la Hugh Jackman (48) in LOGAN (after 16 years of playing the role, no less than nine times)).
  • peterpeter Toronto
    peter wrote: »
    @Mendes, are we betraying what Fleming wrote by not having Bond smoke 70 cigs a day? No, 'cause times change. A thirty year old in the 1950s was far more aged than today's thirty year old.

And as far as your slight ageism, I know men in the military, men in charge of the military police here in Canada, who did four tours in Afghanistan, who just retired from action. He is in his late 50s.

Proper training (something I'm, well versed in), actually works chronologically, as I'm sure @Talos can also explain to you. The more years spent in the gym, that is your gym age. So, I am 43 years old in real life, but I have been training for 25 years; I am a 25 year old man in gym terms and still in my prime-- not a 43 year old creaky fart!

This is why many of the competing strong men are well within their 40s, like my friend Stephen MacKenzie (who is mid 40s).

If Bond existed in today's world he'd be serviceable into his mid-50s.

And yes, I would welcome Craig showing us a spy in the twilight of his career. Cynical. Jaded, but god damn it all, he will still push his body another time for Queen and Country. Why? Because he's "motivated by (his) duty"; his hard wiring is one where he, like the aging athlete, just wants more go around since he knows nothing else.

DC can deliver on this characterization.

Some waif little man, or a poseur like Turner? No thanks. If you go young, give us a man, a masculine man with presence.

But I'm still in DC's corner where he can wrap up his era with something truly great (a la Hugh Jackman (48) in LOGAN (after 16 years of playing the role, no less than nine times)).