Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    suavejmf wrote: »
    It cant and I doubt it will ever happen. As I've said before American male actors cant get the accent right.

Look for me I don't even think bond can be colored let alone american

+1. http://www.dailydot.com/via/idris-elba-bond-street-anthony-horowitz/.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    The eternal 'should Bond be black?' question.

My reply is always the same.
    Hollywood's failure to promote black actors in lead roles should never be dumped at EON's doorstep. Otherwise we may as well ask why no black Superman or black Sherlock Holmes?

Where are the black stars? For every ten white actors who can play Bond the media comes up with ONE black actor. Because that's all they know. Idris Elba.

If I was black I would be insulted. By the media, by Hollywood, by the public.

Give Elba his own franchise. His own character. If everyone, as it seems, is so obsessed with seeing him in a starring role on the big screen then it can't fail to be a hit. Surely?

edited February 2017 Posts: 5,131
    Good post. I just found the article interesting as it comes up with another viable reason why it won't happen. As to the eternal 'should Bond be black?' question. The answer is 'no'. Pointless.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Well this colonial does a proper British accent. May not be the accent you were looking for though...
    edited February 2017 Posts: 5,131
    Well this colonial does a proper British accent. May not be the accent you were looking for though...
    This is a fake comedy impression. Funny but in no way realistic. In fact it perfectly demonstrates how American actors can do the impression of a Brit accent, but any Brit can pull it apart as it is so obviously fake.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    One of the few American actors that comes to mind that can do a solid accent is RDJ in 'Sherlock Holmes'; having said that, that's a "solid accent" to my American ears. As for actors trying an American accent, I've heard incredible ones (I sometimes forget the likes of Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman aren't American, because I'm so used to hearing them like that) and poor ones (Cumberbatch's accent has never worked for me. Always sounds like he's trying a little too hard).
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    One of the few American actors that comes to mind that can do a solid accent is RDJ in 'Sherlock Holmes'; having said that, that's a "solid accent" to my American ears. As for actors trying an American accent, I've heard incredible ones (I sometimes forget the likes of Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman aren't American, because I'm so used to hearing them like that) and poor ones (Cumberbatch's accent has never worked for me. Always sounds like he's trying a little too hard).

RDJ's accent is Sherlock Holmes is awful. It put me off the film....fake. Its a prime example of a bad attempt.

RDJ's accent is Sherlock Holmes is awful. It put me off the film....fake. Its a prime example of a bad attempt.

I thought it was pretty sound, goes to show how poor my ears are in terms of recognizing a good British accent, then.

I thought it was pretty sound, goes to show how poor my ears are in terms of recognizing a good British accent, then.

That's why I haven't commented on Brit actors doing American accents. I agree with you on Bale for example, but I'm not really qualified to tell. Only an American can truely tell. Jude Laws English accent was spot on in Sherlock though...ha ha.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

That's why I haven't commented on Brit actors doing American accents. I agree with you on Bale for example, but I'm not really qualified to tell. Only an American can truely tell. Jude Laws English accent was spot on in Sherlock though...ha ha.
    Downey was awful. So bad that it was annoying and took me out of the film.

It's true that Brits can do American much better. I've always speculated that's because it's less structured and more of a drawl. It doesn't require as much intonation and diction. More monotone.
    We do seem to be getting the main roles in American film and drama now,not just villains anymore..
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    bondjames wrote: »

It's true that Brits can do American much better. I've always speculated that's because it's less structured and more of a drawl. It doesn't require as much intonation and diction. More monotone.

Or maybe because they are drowned in American movies and tv series since chidhood?
    John Lithgow as Churchill seems ok from what I could tell. Maybe he should be Bond?

You just have to say words incorrectly too like.....aluminum, basil, oregano and

Brit's just have to say words incorrectly too like.....aluminum, basil, oregano and patronise. ;)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited February 2017 Posts: 11,139
    Haha! Reminds me of this segment on GTA3's Chatterbox radio station where some American guy calls in to talk crap about Brits...

Lazlow: "Alright, let's go to the phones! Hello caller, you're on Chatterbox."

Caller: "Lazlow man, I...I was listening to that English wimp you were talking to earlier, I mean, do these guys realize how wussy they sound?! I mean, th..they have the nerve to call 'crackers' 'biscuits!' And they say 'al-u-min-ium,' instead of 'aluminum.' I mean...what's up with that!? They all think they sound so smart with their little funny accents, I mean...I got something for 'em...SPEAK ENGLISH, YA LIMEY MORONS!!"

Lazlow: "Well you know..I think they were speaking English before we were! Th..the people over here were speaking Shoshone and Cherokee!"

Caller: "Man, Cherokee-shmerokee, man! A..and another thing! What's up with them calling 'soccer' 'football?!' Man, y..you ever watched soccer!? Man, that's a boring game, man! I'll tell what soccer is...soccer's for little girls man! Football...now that's an American sport! I..it teaches you good wholesome American values man, like..like stealing other peoples land by force and...and wearing tight pants while you do it!"

Lazlow: "Hehh...what are you talking about!?!"

Caller: "I'm talking about being a man, Lazlow! Something you wouldn't know anything about by the sound of things. I tell ya, I bet you play wimpy stuff like...like touch football, a..a..and basketball. 'Look, I'm running around the court bouncing the ball and I'm seven foot three!' I'm telling ya man, I only play man sports! Like football. And hopscotch."

Lazlow: "HOPSCOTCH!?! Th..that's a girls game!!"

Caller: "Man, that ain't a girls game man! Not rugby hopscotch! Now get me in a scrum and I'm dangerous. I'd take anybody down! I'm the hopscotch master! I gots fly skills at hopscotch...you know what I'm saying??"

Lazlow: "Yeah..I..I..I kinda see your point, but you'd be a little cranky too if your empire had fallen apart over the last hundred years! And speaking of commerce, it's time for some commerce here...let's go to commercials, we'll be back after this."
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    This is a fake comedy impression. Funny but in no way realistic. In fact it perfectly demonstrates how American actors can do the impression of a Brit accent, but any Brit can pull it apart as it is so obviously fake.

Well that's why it's called 'tongue in cheek' now isn't it? Old boy? ;-)
    @doubleoego, I replayed that game on the PS4 a little over a year ago, and Chatterbox was always a go-to working on 100% completion. Fun stuff.
    @doubleoego, I replayed that game on the PS4 a little over a year ago, and Chatterbox was always a go-to working on 100% completion. Fun stuff.

It's a classic. I hooked up my ps2 this past Christmas just to replay it. The memories...such entertaining times.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Jamie Foxx was apparently the target of some open racial slurs during a stay at possible future Bond location Dubrovnik. As I mentioned a few pages back, the world is probably not ready for a black Bond, even if US/UK/Canada might be.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/22/hollywood-actor-jamie-foxx-target-racial-slur-croatia/
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    For most, not wanting a black Bond has nothing to do with racism. As far as the incident with Foxx. That is the exception, not the rule and he is not pure when it come to racial intolerance.
    talos7 wrote: »
    For most, not wanting a black Bond has nothing to do with racism. As far as the incident with Foxx. That is the exception, not the rule and he is not pure when it come to racial intolerance.

Exactly. Wanting the character to stay as Fleming and as Eon created is tradition, not racism.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 11,139
    talos7 wrote: »
    For most, not wanting a black Bond has nothing to do with racism.

Agreed, as it's mostly white people that are suggesting and championing it.
    As far as the incident with Foxx. That is the exception, not the rule

Still, it's despicable behaviour being racially attacked.
    and he is not pure when it come to racial intolerance.

I haven't heard about anything that supports this.

Foxx has been involved in a racist incident against whites ?!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Saying that It's the exception is not excusing or condoning
    What does Foxx say? Someone used an N word?
    Turns out some people were racially abusing him while dining out at a restaurant. He's out there filming a new Robin Hood movie.
    Nothing personal but whats Jamie Foxx doing in a Robin Hood film ?...it was bad enough with Morgan Freeman last time !
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    He's playing Little John.
    My impression is that there is a lot of racism in Eastern Europe.
    Murdock wrote: »
    He's playing Little John.

Really ? Bloody hell...the story of Robin Hood gets its arse kicked every time..Jamie Foxx as Little John ?!