Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• cwl007cwl007 England
    Agreed. I've often felt Hugh Jackman could have been a good Bond. He always comes across friendly and charming and would have taken me back to the way Sir Rog was around the media at premiers and press junkets. I am sadly old enough to remember that (just) and always enjoyed the merry go round as much as the movies. I can imagine Jackman conducting himself in the same vain. I also think his versatility as an actor would have allowed a nice blend of humour in the right places and also physicality and toughness, yeah he'd have been great.
    The "too fey" comment was probably true and it was the same criticism he got from the fan boys when he was first cast as Wolverine, a part he went on to be fantastic in.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Craig over Jackson was the correct choice. On the topic of Australians, I'd rather a Brit, but Julian McMahon would have been worth a screen test in 2005. I'm not saying he was right for the part, but definitely worth a screen test.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    McMahon spoke badly against Eon if I recall correctly.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I wouldn't have had a problem with Jackman. He could have pulled it off. However, my # 1 choice at the time (perhaps even now) was Bale. He overshadowed Jackman in The Prestige. A far more compelling actor too.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    bondjames wrote: »
    I wouldn't have had a problem with Jackman. He could have pulled it off. However, my # 1 choice at the time (perhaps even now) was Bale. He overshadowed Jackman in The Prestige. A far more compelling actor too.

I can see that; for me I have a particular quirk when it comes to Bale, I find his mouth and nose somewhat odd, as if he's had work done. For some reason I find it very distracting whenever I see him on screen.

+1.

He burned his bridges by self promoting publicly. Something Idris Elba did as well.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 5,131
    Ah right. At least McMahon looks like a Bond though, so he had a chance. Elba looks like Mr. Big and had no chance. A bit like Jackie Chan wanting to play Sherlock Holmes.
    Ludovico wrote: »

He burned his bridges by self promoting publicly. Something Idris Elba did as well.
    And let's look at him now. He's hardly spoken of, if at all.

McMahon that is.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Ah right. At least McMahon looks like a Bond though. Elba looks like Mr. Big.

He'd need a few extra pounds but yes. I always thought Elba would make a great Mr Big. But McMahon and a few others made the mistake of self promote. When you want the role the first thing you must do is shut up about it.

He was never big time though. I love Nip/Tuck which is his most memorable part in TV. But he's never had a proper film career.
    He was never big time though. I love Nip/Tuck which is his most memorable part in TV. But he's never had a proper film career.

Maybe his Eurotrash Dr Doom killed it.

Both films were dire. I thought he was one of the better elements of the films to be honest. That's not saying much though.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Just thought I'd post this so you can see some of the rumoured folks looking stylish and dapper:

http://www.fashionbeans.com/2017/style-tips-to-steal-from-the-james-bond-contenders/
    Just thought I'd post this so you can see some of the rumoured folks looking stylish and dapper:

http://www.fashionbeans.com/2017/style-tips-to-steal-from-the-james-bond-contenders/

The article states the next Bond is the 10th !!!
    barryt007 wrote: »
    The article states the next Bond is the 10th !!!
    I hear you. Certainly not a factual piece. After all, Idris is there. I posted it more to show some famous dudes looking cool (although I don't know what Turner is pulling in that photo).
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Do You guys want turner to be bond ?
    I'm afraid not.

Definitely not...

I'll be okay if Craig returns. But, of all the self-baptized "candidates" that were pitched for us last year, none of them has the it-factor for me. All of them seemed to be fangirl castings from what I comprehend. I'd rather have Craig return three more times than see any of those take on the role. If you're going for a new actor, go for the one that combines alpha male masculinity and upper-class suaveness into one. Right now, I can't think of any actor who has that mojo.

Yes!

talos7 wrote: »

Yes!

No. Hiddleston.

I cant take the article seriously when it mentions Elba as a candidate! Ha ha ha.
    talos7 wrote: »

Yes!

No. Hiddleston.

Exactly, no Hiddleston ;)

• peterpeter Toronto
    None of the "candidates" thus far have screamed with an "it" factor"; neither did Craig when I saw him introduced as the new Bond. HOWEVER;

Things changed rapidly, for me at least, when I saw him swagger through LAYER CAKE. And then I watched the icy intensity in MUNICH. A light bulb was going off... This actor, whom I knew nothing about, was showing me something in his performances that I hadn't seen since Connery...

I've seen Turner and Hiddles and (a few of the other ones too), in films or TV, and to say that I am underwhelmed is an understatement. No natural swagger (minus Idris), or masculine charisma (minus Idris). If this is the best crop of actors we have to fill Craig's shoes, when he decides to part from the role, then the producers better have the absolute best writers, director, supporting actors all lined up to float what's lacking in their leading man... IMO only, of course...
    peter wrote: »
    None of the "candidates" thus far have screamed with an "it" factor"; neither did Craig when I saw him introduced as the new Bond. HOWEVER;

Things changed rapidly, for me at least, when I saw him swagger through LAYER CAKE. And then I watched the icy intensity in MUNICH. A light bulb was going off... This actor, whom I knew nothing about, was showing me something in his performances that I hadn't seen since Connery...

I've seen Turner and Hiddles and (a few of the other ones too), in films or TV, and to say that I am underwhelmed is an understatement. No natural swagger (minus Idris), or masculine charisma (minus Idris). If this is the best crop of actors we have to fill Craig's shoes, when he decides to part from the role, then the producers better have the absolute best writers, director, supporting actors all lined up to float what's lacking in their leading man... IMO only, of course...

All this is fair enough, but the problem with Elba is that he is black and Bond is white. So in essence this automatically rules him out.
  • RC7RC7
    Idris won't ever be Bond. I would say it was a very distant possibility some years back, but it's absolutely dead now. If you're going to talk Elba you might as well talk Tim Allen or John Goodman as it's about as likely.
    Elba was never actually considered; his status as a possible 007 was largely a product of the tabloids.
    Unfortunately, Elba being black sometimes impacts the conversation. I don't think he ever had a crack due to this.

However, there's no denying that some of the attributes he embodies so effortlessly are what a decent Bond actor must have, and I think that's why his name keeps coming up also.