Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    My Terminator Ranking...

The Terminator
    T2
    T3
    Salvation
    Genysis

The first two films are superb, T2's new restoration elevated the film even further.
    The films arguably have dropped in quality with each subsequent film.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    What does everyone think is the worst Terminator? For me it’s T3 by a long shot. Just an over the top Studio driven Mess with a star who has too much control.

Genisys. It's a muddled mess that tried to go for shock value and fan service rather than plot and character. It could have been a great idea, changing up the timeline, but it was handled so poorly that T3 looks like a masterpiece when the two are compared.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    What does everyone think is the worst Terminator? For me it’s T3 by a long shot. Just an over the top Studio driven Mess with a star who has too much control.

Genisys, for the simple fact that it doesn't feel like a Terminator film. It gets so much wrong and feels so tacky and cheap that I just can't even count it as being part of the series.

T3 has sort of grown on me since the release of the other films. It's still pretty mediocre but it has some decent chase sequences and the ending is pretty ballsy, even if it completely pisses all over the previous two films' idea of fate being in your hands.

Salvation is better than both.

This. Also Genisys' plot is too messy and convoluted.

My ranking would be
    T2
    T1
    Salvation
    T3
    Genesys
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 5,767
    mattjoes wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Incidentally, T2 is on TV right now. In a scene in a car, after arguing with his mother, John has tearful eyes, and the terminator asks him what is wrong with his eyes. In the next scene he mentions he has detailed knowledge of human anatomy. Doesn't quite fit. He should've known John was crying. In fact, later still, the terminator asks John why people cry.

The car scene is obviously meant to serve as the setup for that theme in the story, but perhaps they could've cut the terminator's question and shown him paying attention to John's eyes without saying anything. The latter scene in which he asks John why people cry would've still worked well.

He knows anatomy, not emotion. He knows that John's eyes are watering, knows how John's eyes are watering, but not why.

So, he doesn't know that that is called crying? Because the way he asks the question, it sounds like he had no idea people leak water through their eyes, and if he doesn't know that, how is he even going to know how it happens (as you say)? That is my point. As I said, I'm fine with him not understanding the complex emotional reasons that lead to people crying, but not with him not knowing what crying is, because it is said he has this detailed anatomical information (and in fact also knows things about clothes, motorcycles, guns...). And furthermore, on first sight this crying business appears to be inconsistently handled, since later on he asks John why people cry, which means he does know what crying is, and thus his earlier question sounds dumb. Why not ask "why are you crying?" instead of "what is wrong with your eyes?" (*)

(John could've told him what crying is after the car scene, but it's not shown in the film.)

(*) And asking it like this might've made the later discussion on crying repetitive, which is why I suggest the line could've been cut altogether.
    One could argue that the assumption that the Terminator has detailed anatomical Knowledge is based on machines which did extensive Research on how to switch off the vital functions in a human Body, and that the emotional behaviour of humans is of lesser interest to them and Maybe not at all regarded as anatomical Knowledge. This would of Course raise the Question if emotions and Moral behaviour isn´t the main Point why the machines regard humans as their enemies, which should press them to Gather Knowledge About human emotions.

T1
    T2
    T4 I like it as some Kind of indie sci fi film, and I appreciate that it has very Little Arnold in it.

T3 I remember not liking it very much, but the Music was Pretty good nonetheless.

T5 I don´t remember much of it. It didn´t particularly bother me when I watched it, but I forgot Pretty much most of it soon afterwards.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited April 2019 Posts: 17,687

T3 just floored me with how terrible it was. Salvation is still the most interesting to me. Genysis was in the middle- nice concepts & good budget but poor casting in Reese being my main beef...
    Does anyone know when we may potentially get a trailer?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    With a November 1st release date, I wouldn't expect a teaser trailer before mid-summer.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The THC-800
    150906arnold.jpg
    edited May 2019 Posts: 40,372
    Director Tim Miller shared this image from the editing bay and noted the finishing touches are being put on the first teaser trailer:

D6YPb6mV4AEE7ji.jpg
    I'm ready to be teased.
    Yep, me too!!!
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Well I will certainly be interested to see it!!!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    First official poster:

ws4xq6gkgrz21.jpg
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    First official poster:

ws4xq6gkgrz21.jpg

The day after Judgement Day does not work as a tag line, I am interested in the film though
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    First official poster:

ws4xq6gkgrz21.jpg

That's not quite as bad as the Genisys photocall images from a few years back, but that's still a pretty poor poster.

So did they just use the sneak peek photo of Hamilton with Davis and Reyes that we've all already seen instead of actually having a photoshoot for the poster? That'a pretty disappointing, even if it is only a teaser poster. Hopefully the next one will be better. I am still excited about the film.
    edited May 2019 Posts: 23,105
    Definately getting a Logan vibe (ripoff) ...

41eQEdMoD5L._SR500,500_.jpg
    Or...
    e76c7e0958626f6357e551e8e591cda3.jpg
    Yikes looks like it was edited on Microsoft Paint.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 1,661
    Two things that crossed my mind...

Arnold Schwarzenegger had heart surgery in 2018 so it's extremely unlikely he's going to do a lot of intense action in Dark Fate. I guess much/all of the big stunts and action pieces will be a stuntman with Arnold's face composited. I don't expect Arnold to be super-active in the film. I think the new younger cast play a big part in the storyline similar to The Force Awakens. Harrison Ford (Han Solo) did play a key part in the overall storyline but the main focus was on Rey and the rest of the new characters.

Having looked at the cool poster, there's five story writers and three screenwriters. Terminator (1984) and Terminator 2 were credited to two writers. The risk with many writers is you end up without a clear vision and the plot is messy and confusing. Hopefully it won't be needlessly complex. T1 and T2 were simple plots - bad guy chases after good guys. Terminator Genisys tried to go a different story route with multiple timelines and didn't really work. Has a Rotten Tomato score of 26 percent. The lowest score of any Terminator film.
    January 22, 2019
    While Schwarzenegger's return is welcome, the rest of the film is not. It's a convoluted time-traveling mess that dumps on the original premise to create a dull and outdated action film. It's a major disappointment.
    October 31, 2018
    Terminator Genisys is badly structured, poorly acted and complicates the narrative in a way that is an insult to long standing fans of the franchise. But it's never boring

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/terminator_genisys/reviews/

Hopefully the teaser won't make the plot look too complicated.

• edited May 2019 Posts: 5,767
    "The Day after Judgement Day"?
    Wtf?
    Judgement Day is supposed to be total nuclear destruction. And now all of a sudden it's not more than a foggy evening?
    And the way the road curves (or doesn't) looks awful.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    This looks suprisingly good, despite the dodgy CGI. Miles above Genisys, IMO.
    this may be the film of the Fall … as I count December with winter...
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Oh, Jesus, it looks like Genisys all over again.
    edited May 2019 Posts: 8,009
    It looks like Hamilton will have a fairly prominent role, which is both a good thing and a surprise. That alone should make it worth seeing.

I'm just worried about John Connor's fate. I didn't like what Genisys turned him into, so I hope the character won't be wasted or abused here again.
    edited May 2019 Posts: 15,686
    Also happy they managed to restrain themselves from spoiling the entire film in the trailer like they did for Genisys and Salvation.
    Any hopes of this being a bit more grounded and practical in terms of the effects was almost immediately squashed. Gives me major Genisys vibes, which is not good. Loved seeing Sarah Connor back, but that was about it. Shame.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Any hopes of this being a bit more grounded and practical in terms of the effects was almost immediately squashed. Gives me major Genisys vibes, which is not good. Loved seeing Sarah Connor back, but that was about it. Shame.

This was a disappointment for me, as well.
    I plan on watching gnesys at somepoint it looked batter then 3 and Salvsation I have no interest in seeing as it looses the core elements of what makes a terminator film...

Dark Fate looks interesting but what is Arnie doing there period?
    Just watched the trailer, it feels like deja vu. Hopefully a strong script and story will be somewhere amongst the CGI overload.

The main focus with subsequent films seems to be what trick/gimmick can we give the new upgraded terminator, I was hoping as this was lauded as a direct sequel to Judgement Day that things would get dialed back a bit, that ain't happening what a shame.