Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

1363739414246

Comments

  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Posts: 3,516
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I would've swore he was a producer given how much he was glowing about that train wreck of a film. @QBranch is right alongside my line of thinking, do it all with animtraonics and practical effects and puppetry, please - the more they rely on CGI to dominate the action sequences, the less attached and interested I'll be in them.

    Yes, that's fair. There should always be a balance between computer-generated effects and tangible physical effects. There's a reason why the T-1000 effects in Genisys look no better (arguably worse) than they did in T2. Visual effects on top of physical effects work better than visual effects on top of more visual effects.
  • 00Agent00Agent "I'm here to pick up Delectados."
    edited April 5 Posts: 4,266
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    I was very sceptical about this film at first, but after hearing what Linda Hamilton had to say, they seem like they are trying to make the best follow up to T2 possible. Super excited for this film now!

    If that makes you excited, then you should watch the one hour interview with Tim Miller and James Cameron where they really go into detail what they are trying to accomplish with this film.
  • edited April 5 Posts: 5,213
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    To be fair, he was a producer on Genisys and waxed poetic about it, but that film was a complete and utter mess. Him being attached to produce once again doesn't immediately inspire confidence, but it is the most optimistic I've been in years, I suppose. I truly do hope it's (finally) another proper addition to the series after all these years.
    That plus the bs he enthusiastically told every Reporter when asked About Alita.

  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 15,976
    Linda looked a little heavier when she guested on CHUCK a while back (loved her in it, btw), but it looks like she's back to badass fighting weight for this- that's commitment.
  • Posts: 9,359
    Chuck one of my favourite show, Dalton was awesome. Arnie is the draw as always for any Terminator film, staying open minded
  • mattjoesmattjoes Sean Connery is about to point at you
    Posts: 3,473
    I'm fairly excited about this film. Terminator's appeal in the beginning was that it was a like a nightmare on a very primal level: being chased by someone who can't be stopped and will never quit. The stuff about the future apocalypse, while certainly important in the story, was something that spiced things up and added to a sense of foreboding and intrigue, but never overwhelmed and took the focus entirely away from that primary concept of the chase. So reading Linda Hamilton's words about narrowing down the focus in terms of story and characters is something positive.

    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    If it's a big CGI spectacle, I'm out. Had my fill of that in the last couple of installments. The footage descriptions make it sound as such.

    It's James Cameron, have you seen any of his other movies?

    It's not James Cameron, it's Tim Miller. I'm not sure why people keep saying it's James Cameron when he's only producing.
    This is true, but nonetheless it's worth pointing out that a producer is a fundamental part of filmmaking. In the old days, people didn't pay much attention to directors; the producer was apparently the only fundamental creative force in films. Nowadays, producers seem to be underrated, with directors getting all the attention. Producers gather the talent to make a film, work to provide the best conditions for the production process, and supervise it from a practical and creative standpoint, which is fine, since not everything that's on a script or the director's mind is feasible to achieve, and if pursued might go in detriment of other aspects of the project.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger The out of control room.
    Posts: 33,911
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I'm fairly excited about this film. Terminator's appeal in the beginning was that it was a like a nightmare on a very primal level: being chased by someone who can't be stopped and will never quit..

    Like Gareth?
    13627361-613x830.jpg
  • mattjoesmattjoes Sean Connery is about to point at you
    Posts: 3,473
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I'm fairly excited about this film. Terminator's appeal in the beginning was that it was a like a nightmare on a very primal level: being chased by someone who can't be stopped and will never quit..

    Like Gareth?
    13627361-613x830.jpg

    :))
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Posts: 7,564
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    If it's a big CGI spectacle, I'm out. Had my fill of that in the last couple of installments. The footage descriptions make it sound as such.

    It's James Cameron, have you seen any of his other movies?

    It's not James Cameron, it's Tim Miller. I'm not sure why people keep saying it's James Cameron when he's only producing.

    Because he's going to put his stamp on it regardless, as he did with Battle Angel, and because he's about 90% of the reason this movie's being made and the reason a lot of people are even considering seeing the movie. It doesn't matter if he's directing it or not, his name is the one anybody gives a Genishyt about.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 32,260
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    If it's a big CGI spectacle, I'm out. Had my fill of that in the last couple of installments. The footage descriptions make it sound as such.

    It's James Cameron, have you seen any of his other movies?

    It's not James Cameron, it's Tim Miller. I'm not sure why people keep saying it's James Cameron when he's only producing.

    Because he's going to put his stamp on it regardless, as he did with Battle Angel, and because he's about 90% of the reason this movie's being made and the reason a lot of people are even considering seeing the movie. It doesn't matter if he's directing it or not, his name is the one anybody gives a Genishyt about.

    The history of this series post-Judgment Day tells me this film is much likelier to be another train wreck than a monstrous hit, and while I certainly do hope it's the latter, I'm really not all that optimistic just because Cameron says it's going to be good. Regardless of reasoning, he did the same with Genisys, and...yeah. The less said about that film, the better.

    Despite not having all that much optimism, I really do hope it's good.
  • Posts: 9,359
    This new film will either be average or Terminate the franchise until the next pile of reboot crap. Its looks better than The Predator which was garbage so that's something
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 32,260
    This new film will either be average or Terminate the franchise until the next pile of reboot crap. Its looks better than The Predator which was garbage so that's something

    I've still not seen it and doubt I ever do. Shane Black was selling that film so damn well for me as "the event film you won't believe," only to finally get a look at some footage and...wow, that looks absolutely piss poor.
  • Posts: 9,359
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    This new film will either be average or Terminate the franchise until the next pile of reboot crap. Its looks better than The Predator which was garbage so that's something

    I've still not seen it and doubt I ever do. Shane Black was selling that film so damn well for me as "the event film you won't believe," only to finally get a look at some footage and...wow, that looks absolutely piss poor.

    T6 or T3 Arnie being Involved is my only hook, the last film was not good though this new film might hopefully surprise us. I love Arnie fellow Leo
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 15,976
    Genisys was fun & interesting IMO, but basically forgettable fan fiction. The Predator was gunk. This might be really good- let's wait and see...
  • Posts: 7,234
    I still haven’t seen Genesys I stopped after three (which was so bad) I enjoyed the Sarah Connor chronicles (largely due to Summer Glau who I am shocked Bond hasn’t grabbed) I do want to see Genesys and this new film though it can’t be worse then three nothing can be worse then rise of the machines
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Posts: 7,564
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I still haven’t seen Genesys I stopped after three (which was so bad) I enjoyed the Sarah Connor chronicles (largely due to Summer Glau who I am shocked Bond hasn’t grabbed) I do want to see Genesys and this new film though it can’t be worse then three nothing can be worse then rise of the machines

    Oh, how very wrong that is. The one you need to watch is Salvation. It's a damn good movie that's unfairly treated.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 15,976
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I still haven’t seen Genesys I stopped after three (which was so bad) I enjoyed the Sarah Connor chronicles (largely due to Summer Glau who I am shocked Bond hasn’t grabbed) I do want to see Genesys and this new film though it can’t be worse then three nothing can be worse then rise of the machines

    Oh, how very wrong that is. The one you need to watch is Salvation. It's a damn good movie that's unfairly treated.

    Salvation was pretty good. It felt fresh.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Posts: 3,516
    SALVATION is unfairly maligned and certainly had potential to be the start of an interesting new direction for the franchise. It's got some cracking action scenes and the actual post-apocalyptic setting was a nice change from mere post-apocalyptic mood setting.

    Unfortunately, now that it has been completely abandoned, its flaws are more obviously apparent and the film sticks out like a sore thumb. Had they actually made a sequel to it and developed any of the ideas behind it, it probably wouldn't be as much of a punching bag.

    T3 is pretty rubbish but Genisys made it look like a masterpiece in comparison. Genisys was one of the most annoying films I have ever seen on the big screen.
  • Posts: 4,807
    I liked Genisys a bit more that T3.
    3 was practically T2 all over again; the only cool new thing we got was Judgment Day actually happening at the end.
    Genisys is HEAVILY flawed but it had some cool ideas and was filled with more time travel insanity than any of the others.

    I also applauded them for embracing Arnold’s age. In T3 they tried so hard to make him look like he did in the other 2 movies and it just didn’t work. Having the skin age like normal was clever- and it seems they’re doing it again with Dark Fate
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 15,976
    T3 was just unwatchable as far as I'm concerned.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Posts: 2,483
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I still haven’t seen Genesys I stopped after three (which was so bad) I enjoyed the Sarah Connor chronicles (largely due to Summer Glau who I am shocked Bond hasn’t grabbed) I do want to see Genesys and this new film though it can’t be worse then three nothing can be worse then rise of the machines

    Oh, how very wrong that is. The one you need to watch is Salvation. It's a damn good movie that's unfairly treated.

    SALVATION is unfairly maligned and certainly had potential to be the start of an interesting new direction for the franchise. It's got some cracking action scenes and the actual post-apocalyptic setting was a nice change from mere post-apocalyptic mood setting.

    Unfortunately, now that it has been completely abandoned, its flaws are more obviously apparent and the film sticks out like a sore thumb. Had they actually made a sequel to it and developed any of the ideas behind it, it probably wouldn't be as much of a punching bag.

    T3 is pretty rubbish but Genisys made it look like a masterpiece in comparison. Genisys was one of the most annoying films I have ever seen on the big screen.

    +1 to you both
  • mattjoesmattjoes Sean Connery is about to point at you
    edited April 7 Posts: 3,473
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    If it's a big CGI spectacle, I'm out. Had my fill of that in the last couple of installments. The footage descriptions make it sound as such.

    It's James Cameron, have you seen any of his other movies?

    It's not James Cameron, it's Tim Miller. I'm not sure why people keep saying it's James Cameron when he's only producing.

    Because he's going to put his stamp on it regardless, as he did with Battle Angel, and because he's about 90% of the reason this movie's being made and the reason a lot of people are even considering seeing the movie. It doesn't matter if he's directing it or not, his name is the one anybody gives a Genishyt about.

    The history of this series post-Judgment Day tells me this film is much likelier to be another train wreck than a monstrous hit, and while I certainly do hope it's the latter, I'm really not all that optimistic just because Cameron says it's going to be good. Regardless of reasoning, he did the same with Genisys, and...yeah. The less said about that film, the better.

    The fact Cameron says it's going to be good is no reason to be optimistic. The fact Cameron is making it is reason to be optimistic.

    He supported Genisys because his friend Arnold Schwarzenegger was in it. Same with Rise of the Machines.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Sean Connery is about to point at you
    edited April 7 Posts: 3,473
    Incidentally, T2 is on TV right now. In a scene in a car, after arguing with his mother, John has tearful eyes, and the terminator asks him what is wrong with his eyes. In the next scene he mentions he has detailed knowledge of human anatomy. Doesn't quite fit. He should've known John was crying. In fact, later still, the terminator asks John why people cry.

    The car scene is obviously meant to serve as the setup for that theme in the story, but perhaps they could've cut the terminator's question and shown him paying attention to John's eyes without saying anything. The latter scene in which he asks John why people cry would've still worked well.
  • Posts: 532
    mattjoes wrote: »
    The fact Cameron says it's going to be good is no reason to be optimistic. The fact Cameron is making it is reason to be optimistic.

    He supported Genisys because his friend Arnold Schwarzenegger was in it. Same with Rise of the Machines.
    If only he dropped making a million Avatar sequels to direct a worthy Terminator sequel I would be way more optimistic.

    I recognize his involvement as producer but it still doesn't feel quite right, T2 the best of the series has his stamp all over it. The cinematography in particular is impressive. Every movie in the series since then has paled in comparison (visually).

  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Posts: 7,564
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Incidentally, T2 is on TV right now. In a scene in a car, after arguing with his mother, John has tearful eyes, and the terminator asks him what is wrong with his eyes. In the next scene he mentions he has detailed knowledge of human anatomy. Doesn't quite fit. He should've known John was crying. In fact, later still, the terminator asks John why people cry.

    The car scene is obviously meant to serve as the setup for that theme in the story, but perhaps they could've cut the terminator's question and shown him paying attention to John's eyes without saying anything. The latter scene in which he asks John why people cry would've still worked well.

    He knows anatomy, not emotion. He knows that John's eyes are watering, knows how John's eyes are watering, but not why.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Posts: 3,516
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Incidentally, T2 is on TV right now. In a scene in a car, after arguing with his mother, John has tearful eyes, and the terminator asks him what is wrong with his eyes. In the next scene he mentions he has detailed knowledge of human anatomy. Doesn't quite fit. He should've known John was crying. In fact, later still, the terminator asks John why people cry.

    The car scene is obviously meant to serve as the setup for that theme in the story, but perhaps they could've cut the terminator's question and shown him paying attention to John's eyes without saying anything. The latter scene in which he asks John why people cry would've still worked well.

    He knows anatomy, not emotion. He knows that John's eyes are watering, knows how John's eyes are watering, but not why.

    Exactly this. Like most machines, he knows who, knows how, and knows when. But the why eludes him, amongst many other emotional ticks.
  • DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator
    edited April 7 Posts: 308
    What does everyone think is the worst Terminator? For me it’s T3 by a long shot. Just an over the top Studio driven Mess with a star who has too much control.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Sean Connery is about to point at you
    edited April 7 Posts: 3,473
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Incidentally, T2 is on TV right now. In a scene in a car, after arguing with his mother, John has tearful eyes, and the terminator asks him what is wrong with his eyes. In the next scene he mentions he has detailed knowledge of human anatomy. Doesn't quite fit. He should've known John was crying. In fact, later still, the terminator asks John why people cry.

    The car scene is obviously meant to serve as the setup for that theme in the story, but perhaps they could've cut the terminator's question and shown him paying attention to John's eyes without saying anything. The latter scene in which he asks John why people cry would've still worked well.

    He knows anatomy, not emotion. He knows that John's eyes are watering, knows how John's eyes are watering, but not why.

    So, he doesn't know that that is called crying? Because the way he asks the question, it sounds like he had no idea people leak water through their eyes, and if he doesn't know that, how is he even going to know how it happens (as you say)? That is my point. As I said, I'm fine with him not understanding the complex emotional reasons that lead to people crying, but not with him not knowing what crying is, because it is said he has this detailed anatomical information (and in fact also knows things about clothes, motorcycles, guns...). And furthermore, on first sight this crying business appears to be inconsistently handled, since later on he asks John why people cry, which means he does know what crying is, and thus his earlier question sounds dumb. Why not ask "why are you crying?" instead of "what is wrong with your eyes?" (*)

    (John could've told him what crying is after the car scene, but it's not shown in the film.)

    (*) And asking it like this might've made the later discussion on crying repetitive, which is why I suggest the line could've been cut altogether.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Posts: 3,516
    What does everyone think is the worst Terminator? For me it’s T3 by a long shot. Just an over the top Studio driven Mess with a star who has too much control.

    Genisys, for the simple fact that it doesn't feel like a Terminator film. It gets so much wrong and feels so tacky and cheap that I just can't even count it as being part of the series.

    T3 has sort of grown on me since the release of the other films. It's still pretty mediocre but it has some decent chase sequences and the ending is pretty ballsy, even if it completely pisses all over the previous two films' idea of fate being in your hands.

    Salvation is better than both.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger The out of control room.
    Posts: 33,911
    What does everyone think is the worst Terminator? For me it’s T3 by a long shot. Just an over the top Studio driven Mess with a star who has too much control.

    Salvation, by far.
Sign In or Register to comment.