No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    SaintMark wrote: »
    It is just a amazing car so it would work in any context in a 007 movie. And anything poorer than that carchase from SP in Rome is just not possible.

Agreed, no tension. I liked the end though when he ejected himself and drove it into the Tiber.
    It is just a amazing car so it would work in any context in a 007 movie. And anything poorer than that carchase from SP in Rome is just not possible.

Agreed, no tension. I liked the end though when he ejected himself and drove it into the Tiber.

But that ejection-seat scene was flogging dead horses by this time, it was just one more example of sheer poor writing and a lack in insight in how to write something funny or impressive.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited March 2019 Posts: 3,126
    I prefer to have Bond films delayed for 10 years instead of an unbondian Bond film every six months - something that will happen if the dream (or whatever sort of nightmare) of some pen pushers who want EON to be out of the series comes true and the franchise is sold to the Illuminati of Disney, Marvel, Apple or Amazon.

James Bond = EON Productions.
    EON Productions = The Broccoli Family.
    The Broccoli Family = the ones who bet for an unknown literary secret agent who has been there for almost 60 years.

On the other hand, notice how no-one is mad about being the next Jason Bourne, or the next Kingsman girl, or directing an xXx film. That's a merit of the Broccolis.

Seriously, I'm fed up of all the "throw EON out" or "Barbara is making the fans suffer" complaints. Sooner or later, James Bond will return. And nowadays, we can't really complain that much: we have 24 films on VHS, DVD, BluRay, streaming and 40 novels to read, plus a couple of comics from Dynamite.

The thing is Bond is not unknown he is known worldwide as a movie icon otherwise I agree with the rest @NS_writings
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

But that ejection-seat scene was flogging dead horses by this time, it was just one more example of sheer poor writing and a lack in insight in how to write something funny or impressive.

Well I guess that's that then.
    Sometimes I think this thread is turning into a soap opera

what does a flogging of dead horses have to do with bond absolutely nothing @SaintMark
    007Blofeld wrote: »

SOAPS are a successful daytime pastime so nothing wrong with this thread I suppose.

SOAPS are a successful daytime pastime so nothing wrong with this thread I suppose.

True just wait till the press conference starts this place will be light up like a fireworks finale

This thread certainly is a more unique and interesting piece of art than Bond 25 ever will be.
    +1
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    I prefer to have Bond films delayed for 10 years instead of an unbondian Bond film every six months - something that will happen if the dream (or whatever sort of nightmare) of some pen pushers who want EON to be out of the series comes true and the franchise is sold to the Illuminati of Disney, Marvel, Apple or Amazon.

James Bond = EON Productions.
    EON Productions = The Broccoli Family.
    The Broccoli Family = the ones who bet for an unknown literary secret agent who has been there for almost 60 years.

On the other hand, notice how no-one is mad about being the next Jason Bourne, or the next Kingsman girl, or directing an xXx film. That's a merit of the Broccolis.

Seriously, I'm fed up of all the "throw EON out" or "Barbara is making the fans suffer" complaints. Sooner or later, James Bond will return. And nowadays, we can't really complain that much: we have 24 films on VHS, DVD, BluRay, streaming and 40 novels to read, plus a couple of comics from Dynamite.

The thing is Bond is not unknown he is known worldwide as a movie icon otherwise I agree with the rest @NS_writings

Yes, he is known worldwide now, but that was made by EON in the first place.
    I mean, all over the world -in my country, at least- Bond wouldn't have been successful just for the Fleming novels. EON had a formula, stuck to it, made the films good enough to make you feel it wasn't the actor but the production quality of the films: Goldfinger and The Spy Who Loved Me, as well as Thunderball or The Living Daylights, are part of the same family.

And Babs and Michael made him last over the 1990s, 2000s and 2010s. We know that sooner or later we'll have a Bond film and more or less what to expect.

My feeling is that if other producers got hold of the Fleming's right maybe now Bond would have been a 1960s retro TV series like Get Smart or The Man From UNCLE, getting a film adaptation maybe decades later and just that. But it was EON the one that held up a legacy of 24 films. At this point, I can't imagine Bond without EON. It'd be just CR '67 or NSNA with the gunbarrel or James Bond Theme or any other Netflix mashup.
  • DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator
    It’s not like they have to make mention of it being electric though. Q could just be like “Yes Bond, here is your new Aston Martin.” And so on and so forth.
  • tqbtqb
    ggl007 wrote: »
    In Variety, yesterday: "The joint venture with MGM, forged in 2017, has not taken a rosy path. Despite dipping into Annapurna’s deep pockets to roll out the upcoming 25th installment in the James Bond spy series, per the initial agreement Annapurna would not be allowed to flash a title card bearing its logo before the movie’s opening credits. The squabbling got so granular that the then MGM communications chief would bark at journalists for including Annapurna in stories about the film, which is coming in 2020 from director Cary Fukunaga."

https://variety.com/2019/film/features/annapurna-financial-troubles-megan-ellison-1203160634/

MGM needs to sell the rights completely to EON, all the studio issues have been because MGM is always on the brink of bankruptcy. If MGM were to collapse, Bond's assets could be lost for good.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    tqb wrote: »
    In Variety, yesterday: "The joint venture with MGM, forged in 2017, has not taken a rosy path. Despite dipping into Annapurna’s deep pockets to roll out the upcoming 25th installment in the James Bond spy series, per the initial agreement Annapurna would not be allowed to flash a title card bearing its logo before the movie’s opening credits. The squabbling got so granular that the then MGM communications chief would bark at journalists for including Annapurna in stories about the film, which is coming in 2020 from director Cary Fukunaga."

https://variety.com/2019/film/features/annapurna-financial-troubles-megan-ellison-1203160634/

MGM needs to sell the rights completely to EON, all the studio issues have been because MGM is always on the brink of bankruptcy. If MGM were to collapse, Bond's assets could be lost for good.
    We can thank the idiot Saltzman for that. For some reason, he doesn't get enough criticism as much as McClory does.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I refuse to believe filming will not start within 25 days (meaning before the end of the first week of April). I know Barbara Broccoli loves delays, but even she has to admit it's time to start filming very soon.
    No need for concern, we all know filming's starting at the end of the month.
    We all know filming can start very soon because they are ready. The have made all the necessary preparations. The only issue is that Barbara loves delays! She is addicted to them, so she might delay filming one last time just to satiate her addiction! :))

You are so, so off the mark. Barbara Broccoli is a very smart and very professional producer (no one I've ever met in the film industry, in over 30 years, doubts her ability; she has huge industry and studio respect). She drives forward, and always with courage and conviction. I've seen her on the job. Have you?
    Come on! You can't be serious! :)) The filming of Bond 25 got delayed again recently because she was unable to produce a Bond script in 3 years. Other people produce AND write AND direct movies just as big as a Bond film in 2 years!

I completely agree PP, as much as I wouldn’t like to agree with you, what you have said is true.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Well an Electric Aston would be interesting if it was used for stealth and infiltration within the plot? Time will tell I guess?

rather have an electric one than a (cough cough) invisible one.
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    tqb wrote: »

We can thank the idiot Saltzman for that. For some reason, he doesn't get enough criticism as much as McClory does.

Saltzman did have some escapist ideas that helped the franchise and made Bond popular but you have a point there - he endangered the franchise way too much.

And the so-called great productions that are written and released in less than a year are to me Hollywoodesque crap, and even those who are good aren't that great or have the same legacy as James Bond. I could add M:I on the list of those "who are good" and yet Fallout copied a lot from Bond. By the way, there were like 4 or 5 year gaps between the first M:I movies, too.
    What’s the point of blaming Saltzman? After all he was the visionary that brought Bond to the big screen and made everything possible in the first place. He also fought with Broccoli to keep him British, arguing with the studios and his co-producer that John Gavin wasn’t right for LALD and that Bond should be played by an Englishman. The guy also pretty much revolutionised the British film industry when it was in the doldrums, spear-heading the ‘kitchen sink’ genre of late ’50s/ early ’60s UK cinema – he personally produced both the acclaimed Look Back In Anger (1959) and The Entertainer (1960). Broccoli isn’t totally blameless in this torrid affair. Maybe if he hadn’t fallen out with Saltzman he would’ve been in a far better position to buyout his share?
    I refuse to believe filming will not start within 25 days (meaning before the end of the first week of April). I know Barbara Broccoli loves delays, but even she has to admit it's time to start filming very soon.
    We all know filming can start very soon because they are ready. The have made all the necessary preparations. The only issue is that Barbara loves delays! She is addicted to them, so she might delay filming one last time just to satiate her addiction! :))

You are so, so off the mark. Barbara Broccoli is a very smart and very professional producer (no one I've ever met in the film industry, in over 30 years, doubts her ability; she has huge industry and studio respect). She drives forward, and always with courage and conviction. I've seen her on the job. Have you?
    Come on! You can't be serious! :)) The filming of Bond 25 got delayed again recently because she was unable to produce a Bond script in 3 years. Other people produce AND write AND direct movies just as big as a Bond film in 2 years!

I completely agree PP, as much as I wouldn’t like to agree with you, what you have said is true.

Independent production companies (Eon is essentially a family business) don't easily produce huge franchise films every two years these days, the logistics are just too big now. The likes of Marvel are huge machines, very well oiled machines, but Eon is dwarfed by them.

Eon has maintained so much control of Bond because it has kept itself tight and not over expanded. The fact they have produced 25 films in the Bond franchise - and still running - over more than 50 years, is extraordinary. To claim Eon or BB or MGW don't know what they are doing is plainly absurd, but obviously, like any complex filmmaking process, there have been bumps along the way.

I am very confident Bond 25 will be a winner.
    Appreciate your insight @ColonelSun, as ever! Is there anything in particular that gives you confidence for Bond 25?
    Matt wrote: »
    Appreciate your insight @ColonelSun, as ever! Is there anything in particular that gives you confidence for Bond 25?

I really believe in the director and Eon's determination to give Craig's Bond a great send off. I think they know SP didn't hit the high mark they aimed for.

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Unfortunately those who are overly critical of Barbara Broccoli and Eon are so inclined because all they want is a new Bond film asap, no excuses, no delays.

Then they can happily spend the next two or three years telling everyone how crap it was.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Matt wrote: »

I really believe in the director and Eon's determination to give Craig's Bond a great send off. I think they know SP didn't hit the high mark they aimed for.

True. SP was a hit and they knew that SF exploit was almost impossible to replicate. Based on the leaks they expected the movie to earn at least 750 millions and in the end they came close to 900. But at they same time they are aware that Spectre and Blofeld didn’t resonate too much with the audience and they definitely expected a better reception (especially in the US).

I expect 25 to be a really strong and fresh entry, given the director and the locations.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Independent production companies (Eon is essentially a family business) don't easily produce huge franchise films every two years these days, the logistics are just too big now. The likes of Marvel are huge machines, very well oiled machines, but Eon is dwarfed by them.

Eon has maintained so much control of Bond because it has kept itself tight and not over expanded. The fact they have produced 25 films in the Bond franchise - and still running - over more than 50 years, is extraordinary. To claim Eon or BB or MGW don't know what they are doing is plainly absurd, but obviously, like any complex filmmaking process, there have been bumps along the way.

Thanks @ColonelSun ... it's always great to hear your perspective-- as you said on an earlier post: thirty years in the industry, you've been able to gauge the genuine respect that BB and Company have.

And there is no independent entity to have done what EoN has done. Ever.

As you and I have discussed before, my confidence is quite hight for B25!! Let it roll on!!

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Skyfall cinema re-release in The Netherlands.

Example: Pathe The Munt in Amsterdam on 23 March 15.00 and 27 March at 20.30.
    € 11,00 a ticket.

https://www.pathe.nl/film/16882/skyfall?bioscoop=arena&bioscoop=demunt

No intrest in Skyfall, also Mi6: Fall Out get another view in the cinema.
    € 15,00 for a 3D ticket.
    https://www.pathe.nl/film/22697/mission-impossible-fallout?bioscoop=arena&bioscoop=demunt
    SF is one of 2 Bond films I missed since started going to see them in the cinema,starting with OP.

• RC7RC7

Stop infecting the thread with sense.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 4,619
    @ColonelSun The Marvel straw man strikes again! Nobody here wants EON to do what Marvel does. All we want is 1 good Bond film every 3 years.
    NicNac wrote: »
    Unfortunately those who are overly critical of Barbara Broccoli and Eon are so inclined because all they want is a new Bond film asap, no excuses, no delays.
    That is not true. I have repeatedly said I have no problem with large gaps between Bond films as long as those large gaps are utilized well. What I do have a problem with is that now they have to rush things because they utilized the past 3 years so awfully.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 19,339
    @ColonelSun The Marvel straw man strikes again! Nobody here wants EON to do what Marvel does. All we want is 1 good Bond film every 3 2 years.
    That is not true. I have repeatedly said I have no problem with large gaps between Bond films as long as those large gaps are utilized well. What I do have a problem with is that now they have to rush things because they utilized the past 3 years so awfully.

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    @ColonelSun The Marvel straw man strikes again! Nobody here wants EON to do what Marvel does. All we want is 1 good Bond film every 3 years.

Sorry, but as has been said on numerous occasions Eon is a small fish in a big pond. And we fans do not want Bond to be run by a Marvel or a Disney. We want it to be run by Eon, a small independent, who keep control of the Bond name and legacy.

And because it's small the producers have had other things to do. For all we know Michael Wilson may have had more serious health issues since SP (he was unwell in 2014/15) which just may have distracted them.

Also they had other projects to consider as well.

And with the competition out there increasing every year (which did not exist at all until Star Wars came along) Eon have to be careful how they produce and market Bond for an ever more discerning action cinema audience.

So, here we are gearing up for the next Bond. They have a great young director on board. The production crew looks awesome, the script will be about ready to go. Craig is in shape.

Happy days
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    GOO7D vibes for Bond 25!