No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited March 2019 Posts: 4,400
    Station_Z wrote: »
    Billy Magnussen is indicating something here

Very good spot!

According to the hashtag, this is an old photo that Magnussen felt was appropriate to upload today as it was apparently a "sign" of something to come when he was lost once in Vietnam.

I mean, he may as well confirm that he's in the movie with a hint like that! About as subtle as an earthquake.

I always felt the most underwhelmed by his name out of all the new actors mentioned. He's a little uninspiring and I've seen him in a bunch of stuff. However, he's never really that memorable. I'd like to be proved wrong. Also I haven't seen Game Night, which I hear he's scene-stealing in.

However, just by looking at him, I can see him being a sleazy CIA agent. Perhaps he's giving Jeffrey Wright a hard time? Perhaps he's the henchman - like a fraternity "bro" version of Red Grant.

billy-m-feat2.jpg?w=1024&h=683

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmzKV_qK6CA67wy7mI-EL1JQTPYICm96q5LtOIxVl9gR2Gr9vu

• NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    NicNac wrote: »
    Unfortunately those who are overly critical of Barbara Broccoli and Eon are so inclined because all they want is a new Bond film asap, no excuses, no delays.

Then they can happily spend the next two or three years telling everyone how crap it was.

+1.

Whenever someone slams EON and claims to be a huge Bond fan, my Geiger counter begins to make noise.
    Sorry, but as has been said on numerous occasions Eon is a small fish in a big pond. And we fans do not want Bond to be run by a Marvel or a Disney. We want it to be run by Eon, a small independent, who keep control of the Bond name and legacy.

Marvel and Disney are the McDonald's of the big screen: films aimed to guys on T-shirts who care next to nothing for their appearance, eat nachos and cheese during the movies, shout and applaud aloud whenever a character kills the villain or they see the LucasFilms logo. I'll apologize in advance if I'm hurting feelings, but I can't stop to see those "great" productions done in two years or less as something extremely vulgar to my tastes.

EON, on the other hand, is the Carnegie Hall/Opera Palace of the big screen: aimed to guys who feel confident enough to mimic the Bond looks wearing a decent suit for important events, who are gentlemanly and try to enjoy their low-budget version of the huge lifestyle Bond has. Fleming came from an upper-crust family, Cubby Broccoli was working class but he knew what kind of audiences should appeal, and had a great director like Terence Young who captured Fleming's idea quite well. Bond -like Tosca- is not for everyone.

I'm pretty sure those suit wearing confident dudes gave a Marvel movie a nomination at the Oscars. Never Bond.

I don't really care if Bond gets Oscar nominations now. I'm glad if he does and if he wins, but he's above Oscars. OHMSS, GE and CR were outstanding Bond films that weren't nominated to the Academy Awards. I wish they'd follow that trend back.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 2019 Posts: 5,869
    Unfortunately those who are overly critical of Barbara Broccoli and Eon are so inclined because all they want is a new Bond film asap, no excuses, no delays.

Then they can happily spend the next two or three years telling everyone how crap it was.

+1.

Whenever someone slams EON and claims to be a huge Bond fan, my Geiger counter begins to make noise.
    Sorry, but as has been said on numerous occasions Eon is a small fish in a big pond. And we fans do not want Bond to be run by a Marvel or a Disney. We want it to be run by Eon, a small independent, who keep control of the Bond name and legacy.

Marvel and Disney are the McDonald's of the big screen: films aimed to guys on T-shirts who care next to nothing for their appearance, eat nachos and cheese during the movies, shout and applaud aloud whenever a character kills the villain or they see the LucasFilms logo. I'll apologize in advance if I'm hurting feelings, but I can't stop to see those "great" productions done in two years or less as something extremely vulgar to my tastes.

EON, on the other hand, is the Carnegie Hall/Opera Palace of the big screen: aimed to guys who feel confident enough to mimic the Bond looks wearing a decent suit for important events, who are gentlemanly and try to enjoy their low-budget version of the huge lifestyle Bond has. Fleming came from an upper-crust family, Cubby Broccoli was working class but he knew what kind of audiences should appeal, and had a great director like Terence Young who captured Fleming's idea quite well. Bond -like Tosca- is not for everyone.

I'm pretty sure those suit wearing confident dudes gave a Marvel movie a nomination at the Oscars. Never Bond.
    I'm pretty sure the Oscars are an afterthought when it comes to filmmaking so I doubt the whole running of the franchise is gonna change because of 1 or 2 Oscars :)
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    bondsum wrote: »
    What’s the point of blaming Saltzman? After all he was the visionary that brought Bond to the big screen and made everything possible in the first place. He also fought with Broccoli to keep him British, arguing with the studios and his co-producer that John Gavin wasn’t right for LALD and that Bond should be played by an Englishman. The guy also pretty much revolutionised the British film industry when it was in the doldrums, spear-heading the ‘kitchen sink’ genre of late ’50s/ early ’60s UK cinema – he personally produced both the acclaimed Look Back In Anger (1959) and The Entertainer (1960). Broccoli isn’t totally blameless in this torrid affair. Maybe if he hadn’t fallen out with Saltzman he would’ve been in a far better position to buyout his share?
    Good points and I don't hate Saltzman, with Broccoli he deserves the credit for establishing the franchise. But ancient wisdom says it's important to finish well. That's his issue.

Escalus5 wrote: »
    Making every Bond a prestige project for the masses -- basically, trying to do SKYFALL over and over again -- will have diminishing returns. Better to market to a loyal fanbase that consistently turns out for these movies.
    Sure there's a balance. There's also trying to top the last one, and repeating an established formula as successfully as went on through the 70s and 80s and after really. A hallmark of the success of the series.

It's SassiLive time again!
    http://www.sassilive.it/cultura-e-spettacoli/cinema-cultura-e-spettacoli/i-sassi-di-matera-nella-scena-di-apertura-del-film-bond-25/

Translated via google:
    The Sassi of Matera in the opening scene of the film Bond 25

...The model chosen is the Rapide E, which will star in the 25th film of the saga inspired by the novels of Ian Fleming. A Daniel Craig who for Gaydon cars also has a certain passion.

The decision was taken by director Cary Fukunaga, who, in agreement with production and cast, considered the time for such innovation to be ripe for a capital city of human ecology, Matera. It remains therefore to discover which incredible gadgets the new car will be equipped with for the first time that it will not have the engine roar typical of cars driven by James Bond.
    Such an obvious point of discussion, there.

Denbigh wrote: »

+1.

I'm pretty sure the Oscars are an afterthought when it comes to filmmaking so I doubt the whole running of the franchise is gonna change because of 1 or 2 Oscars :)

I'm pretty sure too. Given that I never claimed Bond was gonna change. Great reading comprehension.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    @ColonelSun The Marvel straw man strikes again! Nobody here wants EON to do what Marvel does. All we want is 1 good Bond film every 3 years.
    That is not true. I have repeatedly said I have no problem with large gaps between Bond films as long as those large gaps are utilized well. What I do have a problem with is that now they have to rush things because they utilized the past 3 years so awfully.

Sorry, but as has been said on numerous occasions Eon is a small fish in a big pond.
    For the umpteenth time, I don’t want EON to be a bigger fish, I simply want them to be a more competent fish.

More efficient. These huge gaps between films do NOT do the franchise any favors in an always competitive movie marketplace.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

+1.

I'm pretty sure too. Given that I never claimed Bond was gonna change. Great reading comprehension.
    Oh right, I read it as a dig. My bad. Hard to tell when you've got loads of people trying to use whatever examples of Marvel they can to undermine Eon's work.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    What’s the point of blaming Saltzman? After all he was the visionary that brought Bond to the big screen and made everything possible in the first place. He also fought with Broccoli to keep him British, arguing with the studios and his co-producer that John Gavin wasn’t right for LALD and that Bond should be played by an Englishman. The guy also pretty much revolutionised the British film industry when it was in the doldrums, spear-heading the ‘kitchen sink’ genre of late ’50s/ early ’60s UK cinema – he personally produced both the acclaimed Look Back In Anger (1959) and The Entertainer (1960). Broccoli isn’t totally blameless in this torrid affair. Maybe if he hadn’t fallen out with Saltzman he would’ve been in a far better position to buyout his share?
    Good points and I don't hate Saltzman, with Broccoli he deserves the credit for establishing the franchise. But ancient wisdom says it's important to finish well. That's his issue.

Making every Bond a prestige project for the masses -- basically, trying to do SKYFALL over and over again -- will have diminishing returns. Better to market to a loyal fanbase that consistently turns out for these movies.
    Sure there's a balance. There's also trying to top the last one, and repeating an established formula as successfully as went on through the 70s and 80s and after really. A hallmark of the success of the series.

http://www.sassilive.it/cultura-e-spettacoli/cinema-cultura-e-spettacoli/i-sassi-di-matera-nella-scena-di-apertura-del-film-bond-25/

Translated via google:

...The model chosen is the Rapide E, which will star in the 25th film of the saga inspired by the novels of Ian Fleming. A Daniel Craig who for Gaydon cars also has a certain passion.

The decision was taken by director Cary Fukunaga, who, in agreement with production and cast, considered the time for such innovation to be ripe for a capital city of human ecology, Matera. It remains therefore to discover which incredible gadgets the new car will be equipped with for the first time that it will not have the engine roar typical of cars driven by James Bond.

Can anyone translate the Italian? The google translate seems a bit confused this time. I cant tell if they are claiming the femme fatale will be in Jamaica or Matera.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Bentley007 wrote: »

Translated via google:

Can anyone translate the Italian? The google translate seems a bit confused this time. I cant tell if they are claiming the femme fatale will be in Jamaica or Matera.
    Yeah it's a strange one, it makes it sound like they're assuming what should be in the film rather than saying it is. Very confusing.

Translated via google:

Yeah it's a strange one, it makes it sound like they're assuming what should be in the film rather than saying it is. Very confusing.

Also couldn't quite tell if the Boyle version of the script had Bond married or if that is their guess for this version. Previous articles by this paper have had either better translations or just written better overall.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Translated via google:

Also couldn't quite tell if the Boyle version of the script had Bond married or if that is their guess for this version. Previous articles by this paper have had either better translations or just written better overall.
    I think that might just be based on early press. Loads of stuff was going around about 007 getting married after Spectre was released. People just assumed it was going to happen because apparently writer's can't step out of the boxes laid out in front of them according to journalists.

Translated via google:

I think that might just be based on early press. Loads of stuff was going around about 007 getting married after Spectre was released. People just assumed it was going to happen because apparently writer's can't step out of the boxes laid out in front of them according to journalists.

That makes more sense. Also it's amazing how the Hybrid Aston Martin story is now all over the internet. Car and Driver is running with it. Scottish Sun is now a reliable source apparently.
    I believe the opposite, actually -- that the films would be even more successful if they came out on a regular 2-3 year schedule. Part of the charm of the series was its consistent release schedule. The fans could expect a new film by a certain time.

Deep down EON must understand that, too, which is why as recently as QOS they were hitting that 2 year goal. I think they could still do it if they got the same director and writer(s) to commit to a few films and worked hard at planning the next film while the current one is in production.

Even if one of the films ended up a failure, we'd only have to wait a couple of years for the next one, which is better than waiting 5 years for a piece of garbage.
    I can see a bit of both sides.

It is frustrating to have to wait 5 years for a new Bond film. And indeed, the good thing of shorter gaps is that if you didn't like the current Bond entry you can move on to the next. Maybe if we SP had been the OHMSS of the modern era none of us would care how long the next one takes, but some of us really didn't like the movie.

And I'm not sure I can truly believe that writing Bond films is significantly harder so it takes longer to make them now. I think evidently other factors are at play. QOS was being written on the go and it is considerably better than SP despite being forgettable overall.

I also don't want Bond to become a factory product even if the haters feel the franchise is one. I'd rather they take their time making something special. I want another SF for Craig.

So I don't think it's black and white.
    For a lot of fans they haven't liked the films post CR. That's a long time to wait for them.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    It’s not so much the wait, but it is unforgivable that they are doing a massive overhaul of the script a month before shooting, because “no ones happy with it”. That’s upsetting as a fan because I’d like to hope that with a long wait, it means that they are truly crafting something special, but no they are just pissing about I guess.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    It’s not so much the wait, but it is unforgivable that they are doing a massive overhaul of the script a month before shooting, because “no ones happy with it”. That’s upsetting as a fan because I’d like to hope that with a long wait, it means that they are truly crafting something special, but no they are just pissing about I guess.
    There's nothing to say that they're not crafting something special or pissing about. Just because we're not hearing anything doesn't mean nothings happening, and we already know from the interview with the Playlist writer that Burns is building on what Purvis and Wade created, so it can't be that bad, and that they were hoping to get Burns on board since December but was unavailable at the time.

We never know if they're crafting something special until the film comes out so trying to guess that by the small amount we know about pre-production is kinda pointless. Terrible films have been made in more time, and great films have been made in less time but it works both ways.
  • Blofeld0064Blofeld0064 Milford, Michigan
    Has anybody been paying attention to the recent reports that it's only polishing touch ups on the script and not a dramatic overhaul like playlist made it out to be? Variety reported that fukunaga original draft impressed eon and craig and other reliable sources have said they were only polishing touch ups! You guys are taking the original playlist article to heart! Calm down B25 is in good condition!
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

Translated via google:

They say that Bond will meet this "femme fatale" during a tropical party by a beach location close to Matera (Spiaggia dei Ginepri, Marina dei Pisticci). Same location where Bond, by the end of the movie,
    is supposed to MARRY the Bond girl. Which one, they don't say.
    But keep in mind that regarding the Bond girls they also say that they are not sure about anything.

That's the beach location featuring "jamaican" vibes, whatever that means. So no Jamaica in their report.

la-luna.jpg

Riva-dei-Ginepri-Beach-Club-3-CartaCon.jpg?ssl=1

Riva-dei-Ginepri-Beach-Club-6-CartaCon.jpg?ssl=1

BTW filming in Italy will be massive. First unit will shoot more than a month between August and September, plus all the prior second unit work in July. Looks like the movie won't feature Matera only in the PTS...
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 3,169
    matt_u wrote: »
    BTW filming in Italy will be massive. First unit will shoot more than a month between August and September, plus all the prior second unit work in July. Looks like the movie won't feature Matera only in the PTS...

They spent more than two months in Turkey for SF, where 95% of the shots ended up in the PTS.
    Zekidk wrote: »

They spent more than two months in Turkey for SF, where 95% of the shots ended up in the PTS.

Didn’t turkey also double for Shanghai in places as well ...

I don’t mean to sound bitter about Skyfall but it was definitely bond on a budget.... I plan on rewatching the other three Craig movies before the first week of April so I will have them fresh in my mind when we see the title reveal of (I wish) The Hildebrand Rarity
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Zekidk wrote: »

Didn’t turkey also double for Shanghai in places as well ...
    No, London doubled for Shanghai.
    Turkey also doubled for the place that was suppose to look like the Macau harbour. The beach scene with a worn-out Bond was shot in Turkey, too.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Gareth007 wrote: »

This is par for the course for big productions like this one. Bond movies often have things like this happening. Don't forget the monks protesting the filming for the climax of FYEO and ruining all their location shots, for example.

This is par for the course for big productions like this one. Bond movies often have things like this happening. Don't forget the monks protesting the filming for the climax of FYEO and ruining all their location shots, for example.

Yes, I suppose these things can happen. I just hope it doesn't result in another delay; I hope they sort it out soon and we get the title still end of this month. wishful thinking.

Yes, I suppose these things can happen. I just hope it doesn't result in another delay; I hope they sort it out soon and we get the title still end of this month. wishful thinking.

don't worry The Hildebrand Rarity will move on with no more delays :D
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited March 2019 Posts: 1,165
    It’s not so much the wait, but it is unforgivable that they are doing a massive overhaul of the script a month before shooting, because “no ones happy with it”.
    Didn't we debunk that already? Tightening the script =/= "No one's happy with it."
    Risico007 wrote: »

don't worry The Hildebrand Rarity will move on with no more delays :D

Maybe I am naive but you would think that EON would have filed all necessary paperwork and agreements to conduct the planned filming. Therefore they should have every right to turn protestors away from the filming site and secure it. Dont imagine they will let this delay filming on the 25th of March.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    About the title ... IMHO „Property Of A Lady“ has a bigger chance than „The Hildebrandt Rarity“. But I am pretty sure none of them will be the final title.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    I prefer to have Bond films delayed for 10 years instead of an unbondian Bond film every six months - something that will happen if the dream (or whatever sort of nightmare) of some pen pushers who want EON to be out of the series comes true and the franchise is sold to the Illuminati of Disney, Marvel, Apple or Amazon.

James Bond = EON Productions.
    EON Productions = The Broccoli Family.
    The Broccoli Family = the ones who bet for an unknown literary secret agent who has been there for almost 60 years.

On the other hand, notice how no-one is mad about being the next Jason Bourne, or the next Kingsman girl, or directing an xXx film. That's a merit of the Broccolis.

Seriously, I'm fed up of all the "throw EON out" or "Barbara is making the fans suffer" complaints. Sooner or later, James Bond will return. And nowadays, we can't really complain that much: we have 24 films on VHS, DVD, BluRay, streaming and 40 novels to read, plus a couple of comics from Dynamite.

The thing is Bond is not unknown he is known worldwide as a movie icon otherwise I agree with the rest @NS_writings

Yes, he is known worldwide now, but that was made by EON in the first place.
    I mean, all over the world -in my country, at least- Bond wouldn't have been successful just for the Fleming novels. EON had a formula, stuck to it, made the films good enough to make you feel it wasn't the actor but the production quality of the films: Goldfinger and The Spy Who Loved Me, as well as Thunderball or The Living Daylights, are part of the same family.

And Babs and Michael made him last over the 1990s, 2000s and 2010s. We know that sooner or later we'll have a Bond film and more or less what to expect.

My feeling is that if other producers got hold of the Fleming's right maybe now Bond would have been a 1960s retro TV series like Get Smart or The Man From UNCLE, getting a film adaptation maybe decades later and just that. But it was EON the one that held up a legacy of 24 films. At this point, I can't imagine Bond without EON. It'd be just CR '67 or NSNA with the gunbarrel or James Bond Theme or any other Netflix mashup.

@NS_writings I see what you mean