Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Shardlake wrote: »
    I'm sorry but the way some members have been championing Turner they need to realise that they are going get called on it.

Some of us are straight talkers and cut to the chase I'm afraid.

Nothing covert in my opinions, just saying.

I imagine if Turner did visit these boards he'd probably consider a few restraining orders, the enthusiasm has tipped into obsession where some are concerned.

It’s just a game and a team sport at that. Championing for one’s team is just good fun. No obsession here, i’m not passioned about this sort of thing. But you do seem very passioned on cancelling - as you say - others opinions. I do like you an we go way back, as does @JeremyBondon. It’s all good fun. Not like any of us has a fan page and is obsessive about an actor. We’ve had that here once, remember? It’s all a game. So play nice.

• peterpeter Toronto
    Surely that was a joke from Shardlake? He’s a good guy and don’t think there was malice in his post.
    I get there are a few ppl here with too much love of self, but most are here for a laugh and good time, no matter what team.
    Go on boys and girls, carry on.
    And @JeremyBondon continue on as Darth. Makes for enjoyable reading!
    @peter, @Shardlake is a scoundrel, as you are. And none worse than @JeremyBondon and this appalling user @Univex. All scoundrels, I tell ya.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Long term or shorter term member, consecutively or not, I've had several accounts here dating from way back, so I know my way around here. Let that be clear.

I think we're all getting a little heated here for no reason.
    @JeremyBondon as a member of these forums, long or short to call another member out for trolling is obviously going to get a reaction. And more likely a hostile one.
    The fact that you've had several accounts suggests you're either a member who was banned, but re-entered under a new username. Or you have dual accounts. Both of which are a concern.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Does anyone have any more recent photos of Turner from this upcoming film? Particularly in a suit? Looking forward to seeing these if they exist.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Univex wrote: »
    @peter, @Shardlake is a scoundrel, as you are. And none worse than @JeremyBondon and this appalling user @Univex. All scoundrels, I tell ya.

Damn u @Univex . Damn. And. You.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited January 2019 Posts: 7,571
    Benny wrote: »

Long term or shorter term member, consecutively or not, I've had several accounts here dating from way back, so I know my way around here. Let that be clear.

@JeremyBondon as a member of these forums, long or short to call another member out for trolling is obviously going to get a reaction. And more likely a hostile one.
    The fact that you've had several accounts suggests you're either a member who was banned, but re-entered under a new username. Or you have dual accounts. Both of which are a concern.

For sure.

In the mean time I think we have strayed far enough away from the topic. Back to business.
    I would expect another quirky choice (as Craig was). Someone with charisma, more sexy than handsome, maybe. Interesting times, because Craig has been around for a long while. .
  • peterpeter Toronto
    NicNac wrote: »

For sure.

In the mean time I think we have strayed far enough away from the topic. Back to business.
    I would expect another quirky choice (as Craig was). Someone with charisma, more sexy than handsome, maybe. Interesting times, because Craig has been around for a long while. .

I have to agree with the traits you mentioned @NicNac , and I can think of only one person who can play the 007 you describe.

Me. I’ve started my own website with my audition tape. I do the FRWL scene with Annie Sheldrick, one of my golden retrievers. You should check it out at:
    www.petersheldrickISthenext0074shore.com
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier

No concern at all, just ancient and old e-mail addresses with long forgotten passwords. So again assuming is a dangerous thing to do.

Also, again, I said reeks not fully fledged trolling. I'm pointing out and certainly not the one getting heated in here, only with the wife, but that's on a need to know basis. In short: action > reaction. Both right, both wrong. Let's go back on track. I vote for Hulk Hogan for Bond 26.

No concern at all, just ancient and old e-mail addresses with long forgotten passwords. So again assuming is a dangerous thing to do.

Also, again, I said reeks not fully fledged trolling. I'm pointing out and certainly not the one getting heated in here, only with the wife, but that's on a need to know basis. In short: action > reaction. Both right, both wrong. Let's go back on track. I vote for Hulk Hogan for Bond 26.

Thanks for the clarification. Warning duly noted.
    U.N could take notes from these forums. Lately, half of the entries have been nothing short of gargantuous diplomatic summits. All with good will. Cary on old chaps. Now, about that Hulk Hogan...
    edited January 2019 Posts: 1,318

Warning? You seem to be after me @NicNac That's how you say it in my language, figuratively(!). No reason to put salt on every snail. Also translated from Dutch. I'm totally over this blown out of proportion "discussion".

Warning? You seem to be after me @NicNac That's how you say it in my language. No reason to put salt on every snail. Also translated from Dutch. I'm totally over this blown out of proportion "discussion".

Okaaaay. Let me do that again.

Thanks for the clarification. Warning duly noted. ;)

Warning? You seem to be after me @NicNac That's how you say it in my language. No reason to put salt on every snail. Also translated from Dutch. I'm totally over this blown out of proportion "discussion".

Okaaaay. Let me do that again.

Thanks for the clarification. Warning duly noted. ;)

I'm not a dangerous fellow, like Bond. Wish I was!
    zebrafish wrote: »
    When James Bond enters the room, everyone takes note. I see that in Connery, Dalton and Craig. Not so sure with Turner.
    Of course that all depends on how the context is set up and the film marketed. When Craig was announced most people thought women won't find him attractive.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    boldfinger wrote: »
    When James Bond enters the room, everyone takes note. I see that in Connery, Dalton and Craig. Not so sure with Turner.
    Of course that all depends on how the context is set up and the film marketed. When Craig was announced most people thought women won't find him attractive.

Mostly blokes if I remember rightly, always amused me how straight men supposed they had a more of an authority than actual women.

Craigsnotbond is much more subtle these days but it's definitely growing on here that is for sure.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 6,677
    edited for lack of patience ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    boldfinger wrote: »
    It's an excellent point. Context, set up and direction are everything. Rebecca Ferguson has commented on how Christopher McQuarrie went to great lengths to frame her and present her in a fashion that accentuated the character attributes and physical elements in MI5. Once she mentioned that I realized how true that was. I've seen her in other films and while she's undeniably beautiful, she doesn't resonate for me like she does in McQuarrie's films. That's by intent.

The Bond people do that with nearly every Bond actor they introduce. I suppose only Moore had a somewhat pedestrian introduction in his flat in a dressing gown (monogrammed at least). However, it was compensated to a degree by the fancy coffee maker and the Italian girl (set the tone for his era in a way).

Almost anything can be sold basically. It's a matter of finesse and attention to details to create the desired impression in viewer's minds.
    bondjames wrote: »

Almost anything can be sold basically. It's a matter of finesse and attention to details to create the desired impression in viewer's minds.

That is indeed very true
  • mattjoesmattjoes matjoevakia
    assuming is a dangerous thing to do

Sounds like a good tagline for Bond 25. ;)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Because it’s a question of identification with the character’s physical traits, which also allows for more escapism, and not of sexual or phenotypical attraction to the actor who portays it. Can’t see why this is lost on you.

It’s as easy as this, a male adolescent who discovers Bond and is delighted to have a grownup he can identify with physically, being able to project himself unto that future image, isn’t going to quietly take on a completely different take on said imagery. He will complain as hell. Then he’ll make peace with said take because the actor has charisma and acting chops to boot. Just don’t excpect that, years later, the grownup who is Bond’s age by now doesn’t want a good actor that happens to looks like Bond and like himself to take on the role.

Can’t understand why you keep confusing this sort of thing with enfactuation. Honestly, I expect a bit more from some forum members. It’s not rocket science or advanced psychoanalysis, is it?

Comments about how strongly straight men are vocal about this almost borderline homofobia.

And yes, I’ll shut up now, because most things that pass under the mods radars these days are plain passive agressive. And when people try to react to them, they sound as agressive as i do right now. It’s the objective if every smart saddistic poster.

So please, be free to skip another diplomatic intervention. There’s no need. Attacks, veiled or not, stop here, i hope.

Hi @Univex ... I must've missed something. You usually are a very calm presence here, so something got you upset. I didn't read anything particularly offensive-- unless I'm missing the subtext?

No subtext @peter, this was a very generalist post regarding a trend that's been pestering the forums for quite some time. No one seems to see it and no one seems to understand it, and yet the passive aggressiveness is present in every odd page, and the intervention of Mods has probably been more regular than ever. Even if they seem to pardon most of this behaviour. The new form of trolling is being politely compulsive, rigid, or even continually contrary to one's particular opinion. As long as they don't deem the other's opinion as invalid, they can get away with this, over and over again. But I won't speak of this again. As you say, I'm usually calm and I try to infuse everything with a bit of fun. Isn't that the reason why we're all here? (Well, evidently not everyone of us, and most of the old school gang has left) I'll even delete the post. Carry on. KBO.

And @peter, it's all your fault, you scoundrel ;)

PS: ask the Col., @peter, he'll know what I'm talking about.
    Because it’s a question of identification with the character’s physical traits, which also allows for more escapism, and not of sexual or phenotypical attraction to the actor who portays it. Can’t see why this is lost on you.

It’s as easy as this, a male adolescent who discovers Bond and is delighted to have a grownup he can identify with physically, being able to project himself unto that future image, isn’t going to quietly take on a completely different take on said imagery. He will complain as hell. Then he’ll make peace with said take because the actor has charisma and acting chops to boot. Just don’t excpect that, years later, the grownup who is Bond’s age by now doesn’t want a good actor that happens to looks like Bond and like himself to take on the role.

Can’t understand why you keep confusing this sort of thing with enfactuation. Honestly, I expect a bit more from some forum members. It’s not rocket science or advanced psychoanalysis, is it?

Comments about how strongly straight men are vocal about this almost borderline homofobia.

And yes, I’ll shut up now, because most things that pass under the mods radars these days are plain passive agressive. And when people try to react to them, they sound as agressive as i do right now. It’s the objective if every smart saddistic poster.

So please, be free to skip another diplomatic intervention. There’s no need. Attacks, veiled or not, stop here, i hope.

You should be careful who accuse of being a homophobe, my Wife is entirely flabbergasted at your insinuation.

A number of our friends are gay and I'm totally comfortable with my sexuality

My point was a good number of men on this forum in its previous incarnation were very vocal about DC not being good-looking enough to play Bond, that is not a slur, it's a fact.

You should be careful who accuse of being a homophobe, my Wife is entirely flabbergasted at your insinuation.

My point was a good number of men on this forum in its previous incarnation were very vocal about DC not being good-looking enough to play Bond, that is not a slur, it's a fact.

Damn, @Shardlake, I didn't want to imply that you were a homophobe, man. I was saying that you shouldn't call people obsessive about someone if we're in a thread like this. And you're really gonna tell me you haven't continually insisted that defending one candidate is close to being infatuated? If not, I'm sorry I misread your criticism. But here, I'll give you an example. Like you I dislike Hardy as a candidate. And there is a ton of his supporters here. I don't insinuate their fandom is close to a sickness like you often do. You do know that, for example, @Germanlady left these forums for similar reasons (although, to be fair, she would be the first to say she was infatuated with Craig, lol). Like I said, we go way back, I've been here since circa 1999. I even share loads of opinions with you and keep you in high regard. So, nothing personal, I was shocked with your intervention, but I think I misread it. No biggie.

BTW, glad you're not an homophobe :) lol, neither am I, nor my wife. Please apologise to your wife. Maybe we can all have dinner sometime and discuss your dislike for Turner and my dislike for Hardy. Cheers
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Now that we got that out of the way, I'm being damn serious about my latest hobby: I am pitching myself as Bond no. 007.

www.petersheldrickISthenext0074shore.com

Go there and see my incredible audition piece. Turner, Hardy, whatever. Watch me do better FRWL than SC.

If we're talking over obsessing over anyone, obsess over me.

I wont come back on this thread until I see some recognition for this project.

Damn, @Shardlake, I didn't want to imply that you were a homophobe, man. I was saying that you shouldn't call people obsessive about someone if we're in a thread like this. And you're really gonna tell me you haven't continually insisted that defending one candidate is close to being infatuated? If not, I'm sorry I misread your criticism. But here, I'll give you an example. Like you I dislike Hardy as a candidate. And there is a ton of his supporters here. I don't insinuate their fandom is close to a sickness like you often do. You do know that, for example, @Germanlady left these forums for similar reasons (although, to be fair, she would be the first to say she was infatuated with Craig, lol). Like I said, we go way back, I've been here since circa 1999. I even share loads of opinions with you and keep you in high regard. So, nothing personal, I was shocked with your intervention, but I think I misread it. No biggie.

BTW, glad you're not an homophobe :) lol, neither am I, nor my wife. Please apologise to your wife. Maybe we can all have dinner sometime and discuss your dislike for Turner and my dislike for Hardy. Cheers

We'll forget about it and start again shall we @Univex, friends?

To be honest my opinion on it isn't that strong because I know until DC says he's done then and only then will the search begin.

If Turner is still a candidate I certainly won't boycott the film, Cavill I can't say. Tom Hardy I think has shown some great skill as an actor in a number of roles but Bond he's just not right. I'll be happy to see what Turner does if that day comes.

I'm just having a bit of fun with this Turner bandwagon business.

I will wait to see how he does but then if Craig does do another one and it's not off the table yet, that would mean even more years to wait for the next guy.

I'm perfectly aware that thought horrifies some, some have made it quite vocal and others do it more subtlety but I'm finding the tide turning on DC on this forum, his position here is very different to say 5- 6 years ago.

Some are already claiming Bond 25 isn't going to do well, some concerned some just wishful thinking as it would prove their point.

Though Turner could well get that role that propels him past the situation where he'd be considered, it's a possibility

Also, I think it's very unlikely BB is taking meetings with Turner about playing Bond. She took a meeting with Idris Elba and look what that led to.

If Turner has met EON now, I think the chances are it's more likely for a role in Bond 25 and if Aidan takes that role, forget him being Bond.

Until Daniel Craig definitively says he's done, then the hunt for the next Bond will begin and not till then.
  • peterpeter Toronto

To be honest my opinion on it isn't that strong because I know until DC says he's done then and only then will the search begin.

If Turner is still a candidate I certainly won't boycott the film, Cavill I can't say. Tom Hardy I think has shown some great skill as an actor in a number of roles but Bond he's just not right. I'll be happy to see what Turner does if that day comes.

I'm just having a bit of fun with this Turner bandwagon business.

I will wait to see how he does but then if Craig does do another one and it's not off the table yet, that would mean even more years to wait for the next guy.

I'm perfectly aware that thought horrifies some, some have made it quite vocal and others do it more subtlety but I'm finding the tide turning on DC on this forum, his position here is very different to say 5- 6 years ago.

Some are already claiming Bond 25 isn't going to do well, some concerned some just wishful thinking as it would prove their point.

Though Turner could well get that role that propels him past the situation where he'd be considered, it's a possibility

Also, I think it's very unlikely BB is taking meetings with Turner about playing Bond. She took a meeting with Idris Elba and look what that led to.

If Turner has met EON now, I think the chances are it's more likely for a role in Bond 25 and if Aidan takes that role, forget him being Bond.

Until Daniel Craig definitively says he's done, then the hunt for the next Bond will begin and not till then.

Excellent points @Shardlake ... what people fail to realize is that the Broccoli family is bloody loyal; if it wasn't MGM forcing Cubby's hand (something that pissed everyone off), TD would have had at least one more Bond picture under his belt.

Broccoli and DC are exceptionally tight. Their daughters (DC's and BB's) are good friends and Broccoli jr cast Craig jr as the lead in one of her short films.

The real search for the new 007 will happen when DC tells his producer he is well and truly done (which I think is likely to happen with this film, more than not. However, i still think BB will pitch him hard for one more if B25 is a success).

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    When did B.B. meet with Idris Elba ? And I’m not talking about a random meeting.
    talos7 wrote: »
    When did B.B. meet with Idris Elba ? And I’m not talking about a random meeting.

I'm sure Naomi Harris mentioned it around Skyfall possibly.

1) Of course, dear friend. Cheers for that
    2) I love Craig. I've seen a new pic with him and Viggo - a brand new one, with other 2 folk - in which he looked better than ever. I'd be ok with him staying on the role, he's been around through the best years of my life and has given us stellar quality films.