Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

ToTheRight wrote: »
    Actually that trailer does make me leans towards Aidan Turner. He looks extremely classic there.

See? And would a baby face serve as a young Sam Elliot? Of course not. Guy's rugged.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited January 2019 Posts: 1,318
    What have I been saying for so long? Thank you, applaud at your own discretion ;) This will be Turner's breakthrough on the silver screen and most likely his ticket to Bond, if they're right-minded @EoN HQ.
    Univex wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Actually that trailer does make me leans towards Aidan Turner. He looks extremely classic there.

See? And would a baby face serve as a young Sam Elliot? Of course not. Guy's rugged.

He's not a pretty boy at all, really. Pity he tends to often hide those rugged Bondian features behind a beard.
    Incredible indeed

"When he remembers, we share the moment with him, bouncing between the present and flashbacks to the younger Calvin (Aidan Turner, doing a damn fine young Sam Elliott without seeming like an impersonator), when he as a solider in World War II" - Collider

"Aidan Turner, who you may recall from his role as dwarf prince Kíli in the Lord Of The Rings movies, steps in for the extensive flashback scenes of Barr in his Nazi-hunting prime. Turner’s version of the character obviously doesn’t have the gravitas of Elliott’s—all the regrets that weigh on his older self have yet to materialize, after all—but as a macho, square-jawed pulp hero, he’s more than capable. (The casting overall is quite good, with Ron Livingston also turning in a scene-stealing performance as an American secret agent known only as Flag Pin.)" - AVclub

"We spend a good amount of the time of the film in flashback, where young Calvin (played by The Hobbit‘s Aidan Turner) meets and falls in love with a schoolteacher stateside and infiltrates the High Command in Nazi-terrorized Europe. Turner’s unrecognizable here, and he does a swell job picking and choosing from Elliott’s tics, downplaying them enough so that they feel connective and never once like caricature." -Vanyaland

"The acting is incredible. Elliott is known for his wild west roles and, considering his own advanced age, it’s not surprising that he brings a sense of determination here. He also has the ambivalence of someone old enough to realise there are rarely easy answers, but that the more mistakes we make, the more we want the answers to be there. Young Calvin (Turner) has less emotional depth than his senior partner, but he makes up for it with a sandpaper jerkiness that cracks into life when he is with those he loves and things have a chance of being okay." - Starburst magazine

"Sam Elliott plays Calvin Barr, the stoic, retired military man living in the northern United States, in some indeterminate time (likely the 1980s, but it’s irrelevant). Calvin drinks at a bar every night, spends time with his dog, and tries to make as little a footprint on the world as possible. He does this because, in World War II, he killed Adolf Hitler. Flashbacks to Calvin’s youth are headlined by Aidan Turner, who does a miraculous job of seeming like a young Sam Elliott. " - Nerdist

"Aidan Turner and Sam Elliott work well as the two versions of Barr, helped by the character being a man of few words and some great direction and editing as we transition between the two eras. Plus some awesome facial hair!" - Entertainment Focus

"...but it's the two men who play the title character that naturally stand out. Elliott quietly embraces all of the contradictions of the elder Barr, still spry but also slowed down, looking chiseled and cool but also often seeming to be near tears. Aidan Turner may actually get more screen time, and he's got the tougher job in some ways - it's hard to show simple decency without also looking unsophisticated, and though there's a passing resemblance between him and Elliott (especially once he's grown a full beard and had it pared back to a mustache), he doesn't imitate the famous voice. There's a sense to both versions of men who can shoulder a burden, but cursed in part because they find it a burden" -Efilmcritic

"It’s also worth mentioning the stand-out performance of Aidan Turner as a young Calvin, optimistic and hopelessly in love, unaware of how life will eventually crush him into the lonely man he’s destined to become. At first glance, you wouldn’t think that Turner looks at all like Sam Elliott, until he grows a moustache, then the resemblance is uncanny." - Nightmare on Filmstreet

"The Hobbit's Aidan Turner plays Calvin in his younger days, as he courts compassionate schoolteacher Maxine (Caitlin FitzGerald) or treks across Europe in search of his quarry, and the weight he carries on his shoulders seems amplified tenfold by Elliott's mournful performance. There's also a striking resemblance between the two actors, which Krzykowski emphasizes more than once by juxtaposing similarly framed shots from both timelines." - SpoilerTV

He still doesn’t feel right to me sorry look if he gets it so be it I lived through the Brosnan era I can live through the Turner era
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I think I may have a difficult time accepting Turner as a young Elliot (they seem so different) but I look forward to seeing him in something other than And Then There Were None.

The more we see of these potential candidates in different roles, the better so we can formulate a more accurate assessment of our opinion on their suitability. Still, until we actually see any of them as Bond, we can't be absolutely sure how they will approach the characterization.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    He still doesn’t feel right to me sorry look if he gets it so be it I lived through the Brosnan era I can live through the Turner era

No need to apologize for your opinion, actually it was already crystal clear you didn't like him.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I think I may have a difficult time accepting Turner as a young Elliot (they seem so different) but I look forward to seeing him in something other than And Then There Were None.

The more we see of these potential candidates in different roles, the better so we can formulate a more accurate assessment of our opinion on their suitability. Still, until we actually see any of them as Bond, we can't be absolutely sure how they will approach the characterization.

Quite alike actually, close enough anyway

DawBBElWsAYrtSy.jpg

Quite alike actually

DawBBElWsAYrtSy.jpg
    Well now that I've seen this... ;)

It's just that Elliot has a real ruggedness to him. He's almost frontiersman like. Turner seems far more refined and polished looking, despite the facial and chest hair. I suppose one can imagine that age and experience could bring out that characteristic though.

Quite alike actually

DawBBElWsAYrtSy.jpg
    Well now that I've seen this... ;)

It's just that Elliot has a real ruggedness to him. He's almost frontiersman like. Turner seems far more refined and polished looking, despite the facial and chest hair. I suppose one can imagine that age and experience could bring out that characteristic though.

Haha ;)

Well in that regard, men like Elliott are a dying breed and not made anymore, for a long time to be honest. I've posted some quotes from several reviews above and they all give Turner praise regarding him playing young Elliott. So have faith, @bondjames =)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited January 2019 Posts: 8,091
    This is why I think Turner at 38/9 will be even better suited for Bond than Turner at 35 is. By 2022 he will be ready.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Elliot did not come out of the womb "rugged" Lol.

b8CoLA3.jpg
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883
    talos7 wrote: »

b8CoLA3.jpg
    Good point, although he does have a certain ruggedness in his features even in that photo. I'd say Brosnan seems far more rugged these days in comparison to his Remington Steele days, so age and experience (and a few lines here and there) certainly seem to help.
    Some fresh excerpts regarding Elliott and Turner:

"...but it's the two men who play the title character that naturally stand out. Elliott quietly embraces all of the contradictions of the elder Barr, still spry but also slowed down, looking chiseled and cool but also often seeming to be near tears. Aidan Turner may actually get more screen time, and he's got the tougher job in some ways - it's hard to show simple decency without also looking unsophisticated, and though there's a passing resemblance between him and Elliott (especially once he's grown a full beard and had it pared back to a mustache), he doesn't imitate the famous voice. There's a sense to both versions of men who can shoulder a burden, but cursed in part because they find it a burden" -Efilmcritic

"It’s also worth mentioning the stand-out performance of Aidan Turner as a young Calvin, optimistic and hopelessly in love, unaware of how life will eventually crush him into the lonely man he’s destined to become. At first glance, you wouldn’t think that Turner looks at all like Sam Elliott, until he grows a moustache, then the resemblance is uncanny." - Nightmare on Filmstreet

"The Hobbit's Aidan Turner plays Calvin in his younger days, as he courts compassionate schoolteacher Maxine (Caitlin FitzGerald) or treks across Europe in search of his quarry, and the weight he carries on his shoulders seems amplified tenfold by Elliott's mournful performance. There's also a striking resemblance between the two actors, which Krzykowski emphasizes more than once by juxtaposing similarly framed shots from both timelines." - SpoilerTV

• edited January 2019 Posts: 17,294

b8CoLA3.jpg

Looks like he could have been a potential Bond candidate based on that photo! Certainly looked more rugged in his younger days than a lot of the names being mentioned on this thread now.

b8CoLA3.jpg

Looks like he could have been a potential Bond candidate based on that photo! Certainly looked more rugged in his younger days than a lot of the names being mentioned on this thread now.

Men were more rugged, back in the day. Look at Connery alone.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Incredible indeed

"When he remembers, we share the moment with him, bouncing between the present and flashbacks to the younger Calvin (Aidan Turner, doing a damn fine young Sam Elliott without seeming like an impersonator), when he as a solider in World War II" - Collider

"Aidan Turner, who you may recall from his role as dwarf prince Kíli in the Lord Of The Rings movies, steps in for the extensive flashback scenes of Barr in his Nazi-hunting prime. Turner’s version of the character obviously doesn’t have the gravitas of Elliott’s—all the regrets that weigh on his older self have yet to materialize, after all—but as a macho, square-jawed pulp hero, he’s more than capable. (The casting overall is quite good, with Ron Livingston also turning in a scene-stealing performance as an American secret agent known only as Flag Pin.)" - AVclub

"We spend a good amount of the time of the film in flashback, where young Calvin (played by The Hobbit‘s Aidan Turner) meets and falls in love with a schoolteacher stateside and infiltrates the High Command in Nazi-terrorized Europe. Turner’s unrecognizable here, and he does a swell job picking and choosing from Elliott’s tics, downplaying them enough so that they feel connective and never once like caricature." -Vanyaland

"The acting is incredible. Elliott is known for his wild west roles and, considering his own advanced age, it’s not surprising that he brings a sense of determination here. He also has the ambivalence of someone old enough to realise there are rarely easy answers, but that the more mistakes we make, the more we want the answers to be there. Young Calvin (Turner) has less emotional depth than his senior partner, but he makes up for it with a sandpaper jerkiness that cracks into life when he is with those he loves and things have a chance of being okay." - Starburst magazine

"Sam Elliott plays Calvin Barr, the stoic, retired military man living in the northern United States, in some indeterminate time (likely the 1980s, but it’s irrelevant). Calvin drinks at a bar every night, spends time with his dog, and tries to make as little a footprint on the world as possible. He does this because, in World War II, he killed Adolf Hitler. Flashbacks to Calvin’s youth are headlined by Aidan Turner, who does a miraculous job of seeming like a young Sam Elliott. " - Nerdist

"Aidan Turner and Sam Elliott work well as the two versions of Barr, helped by the character being a man of few words and some great direction and editing as we transition between the two eras. Plus some awesome facial hair!" - Entertainment Focus

When this was first announced, my agent was able to pass along a draft of this script to me (it wasn't the shooting script, but from what I hear, not a lot was changed from the one I read and the final draft).

From what i know, Robert D. Krzykowski, the writer/director, started his career more as a producer. However, the guy is a unique talent. He's an original voice, that when he tells a story, he takes a path less traveled by.

This script was awesome. Sam Elliot (I can't believe is 74!), is an obvious choice to play Barr... Aidan Turner, not so obvious.

Saying that, this guy cast Turner for a reason, so my mind is very open to see what he brings to the role.

b8CoLA3.jpg

Men were more rugged, back in the day. Look at Connery alone.

Indeed they were.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited January 2019 Posts: 4,312
    The more I think about it, the more I tend to think that Aidan Turner is too soft, both charisma-wise and by his looks - boyish looks and soft skin, he is not James Bond. More often he reminds me of Kujal Nayyar (Rajesh Koothrappali from the Big Bang Theory) rather than 007.

Kunal-Nayyar-Rajesh-Koothrappali-the-big-bang-theory-27641500-500-399.png
    Aidan-Turner.jpg

Sorry to his fans, but once observed, I can't make it unseen again for myself. Same thing happened with Tim Dalton (whom I liked very much in TLD) and German Schlager singer Roy Black.
    roy-black-schlagersaenger-und-schauspieler.jpg
    1966_timothydalton_700x875_UfSXXpnlB75-.jpg
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Talk about not being able to unsee-- I've never watched The Big Bang Theory-- but that top pic is frightening!
    zebrafish wrote: »
    The more I think about it, the more I tend to think that Aidan Turner is too soft, both charisma-wise and by his looks - boyish looks and soft skin, he is not James Bond. More often he reminds me of Kujal Nayyar (Rajesh Koothrappali from the Big Bang Theory) rather than 007.

Sorry to his fans, but once observed, I can't make it unseen again for myself. Same thing happened with Tim Dalton (whom I liked very much in TLD) and German Schlager singer Roy Black.

He looks absolutely nothing like that puffy faced nerd. This reeks of trolling actually.

MV5BNGRkNDFiNzQtMTdlNi00YjI1LWEwMzYtMWM5NTcwNTU5MmRjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM2OTA3NTA@._V1_.jpg
    Can't see the similarity with Kujal Nayyar either.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    This will be a very hard role to play to make it believable that these two are one in the same (although separated by decades), which makes the casting of Turner interesting. Apologies for being repetitive, but Krzykowski cast him for a reason. I'm excited to see how this all plays out.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    zebrafish wrote: »

He looks absolutely nothing like that puffy faced nerd. This reeks of trolling actually.

MV5BNGRkNDFiNzQtMTdlNi00YjI1LWEwMzYtMWM5NTcwNTU5MmRjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM2OTA3NTA@._V1_.jpg

You could imagine him in Bonds Navy uniform.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 6,677

That photo of Turner is stellar. What a great Bond he'll be ;)

And...the comments on that film have been great. Turner is getting lots of good appraisal.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 9,771
    I don’t hate Aidan Turner in fact he would be fine as the lead in the new Highlander he has a worldlyness in his face that is far more suited for that franchise then this one to be honest. If I hated Aidan I wouldn’t want him in the lead of one of my other favorite franchises

I dunno maybe because he always does period prices I just picture him with a sword taking the head of a bad guy and saying there can be only one rather then with a martini saying bond James Bond
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    So, he's 21st century's Basil Rathbone? ;)
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I don’t hate Aidan Turner in fact he would be fine as the lead in the new Highlander he has a worldlyness in his face that is far more suited for that franchise then this one to be honest. If I hated Aidan I wouldn’t want him in the lead of one of my other favorite franchises

I dunno maybe because he always does period prices I just picture him with a sword taking the head of a bad guy and saying there can be only one rather then with a martini saying bond James Bond

If I recall correctly it was Fleming who found Connery in the beginning too Italian(?)/foreign looking, but later loved him. Brosnan has Spanish-Irish roots and looks quite mediterranean. One could argue the same regarding Dalton. Turner is no different, he falls into that very same category and I don't think one could argue, retrospectively, that's a bad thing. Honestly.
    If I recall correctly it was Fleming who found Connery in the beginning too Italian(?)/foreign looking, but later loved him.

I don't think Fleming found Connery too Italian/foreign looking--after all, he'd written earlier that Bond was tanned and looked slightly un-English and foreign. He was more worried about whether Connery had the sophistication for the part. He put away his reservations after seeing Connery in person on a few occasions.

Revelator wrote: »
    If I recall correctly it was Fleming who found Connery in the beginning too Italian(?)/foreign looking, but later loved him.

I don't think Fleming found Connery too Italian/foreign looking--after all, he'd written earlier that Bond was tanned and looked slightly un-English and foreign. He was more worried about whether Connery had the sophistication for the part. He put away his reservations after seeing Connery in person on a few occasions.

Interesting, but quite different from what I heard in a few documentaries. The point remains the same.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 6,677
    Revelator wrote: »

Interesting, but quite different from what I heard in a few documentaries. The point remains the same.

Yes, well, these things get blown out of proportion throughout the years. It probably wasn't that much of deal back then.

3xqzyidt0qt01.jpg
    quote-i-m-looking-for-commander-james-bond-not-an-overgrown-stunt-man-on-meeting-sean-connery-ian-fleming-125-10-78.jpg

The poster, BTW, is brilliant, wouldn't you say?
    MV5BMTg2NzI4NjY1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjUxOTc3NTM@._V1_UY1200_CR92,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg