Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883
    Univex wrote: »
    quote-i-m-looking-for-commander-james-bond-not-an-overgrown-stunt-man-on-meeting-sean-connery-ian-fleming-125-10-78.jpg
    Ouch. Didn't mince his words, did he? Goes to show that it's true what they say about first impressions and all that. Or is it the other way round?
    Univex wrote: »
    The poster, BTW, is brilliant, wouldn't you say?
    MV5BMTg2NzI4NjY1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjUxOTc3NTM@._V1_UY1200_CR92,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg
    Very nice. I didn't realize Caitlin Fitzgerald was in it too. I believe she's Turner's real life girlfriend.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Didn't mince his words, did he? Goes to show that it's true what they say about first impressions and all that. Or is it the other way round?

I've heard variations of that quote, but this one has sightly different phrasing. I'd be interested in finding the actual source of this comment. We do know from Fleming's letters, and the testimony of his family members, that his initial discomfort with Connery was brief.
    If Aidan Turner brings back annual bond games I will support him 110 %
  • mattjoesmattjoes At my most trollish behavior
    Risico007 wrote: »
    If Aidan Turner brings back annual bond games I will support him 110 %

Now there's something interesting to take into consideration...
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Cavill already has a 3D Model from Injustice 2. All he needs is a tux. ;)
    ?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside%7C637%3A358&composite-to=*,*%7C637%3A358&background-color=black
    zebrafish wrote: »
    The more I think about it, the more I tend to think that Aidan Turner is too soft, both charisma-wise and by his looks - boyish looks and soft skin, he is not James Bond. More often he reminds me of Kujal Nayyar (Rajesh Koothrappali from the Big Bang Theory) rather than 007.

Sorry to his fans, but once observed, I can't make it unseen again for myself. Same thing happened with Tim Dalton (whom I liked very much in TLD) and German Schlager singer Roy Black.

He looks absolutely nothing like that puffy faced nerd. This reeks of trolling actually.

MV5BNGRkNDFiNzQtMTdlNi00YjI1LWEwMzYtMWM5NTcwNTU5MmRjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM2OTA3NTA@._V1_.jpg

You could imagine him in Bonds Navy uniform.
    I wouldn´t demand ruggedness from him if he has that Kind of Expression.
    People tend to sink their teeth obsessively into certain singular aspects and Forget to recognise the Overall Picture.
    It´s true that I would never have cast Dalton in his 20s, whereas in his 40s he was Pretty much perfect. But everybody ages differently, and everybody has different assets.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Aidan Turner is actually growing on me, as a possible candidate to take over from Daniel Craig.
    However, he needs to do something with his hair. It's far too long. Haven't seen a photo of him with suitable short hair yet.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited January 2019 Posts: 8,207
    Benny wrote: »
    Aidan Turner is actually growing on me, as a possible candidate to take over from Daniel Craig.
    However, he needs to do something with his hair. It's far too long. Haven't seen a photo of him with suitable short hair yet.

That would DEFINITELY be sorted if he got the role. Easily fixed.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    The more I think about it, the more I tend to think that Aidan Turner is too soft, both charisma-wise and by his looks - boyish looks and soft skin, he is not James Bond. More often he reminds me of Kujal Nayyar (Rajesh Koothrappali from the Big Bang Theory) rather than 007.

Sorry to his fans, but once observed, I can't make it unseen again for myself. Same thing happened with Tim Dalton (whom I liked very much in TLD) and German Schlager singer Roy Black.

He looks absolutely nothing like that puffy faced nerd. This reeks of trolling actually.

When we have someone championing an actor as vigorously as you have recently I believe it's only natural that others will be unable to resist the temptation to push your buttons.

Of course Nayyar and Turner are unalike (you only need to look closely at mouths, noses and eyes), but my suggestion would be, take this thread with a pinch of salt. It's a bunch of Bond nerds debating something which ultimately will have no bearing whatsoever on who will be Bond after Craig.

Truth is, Eon want Daniel Craig for Bond 26. Until he jumps no one is in the running.

NicNac wrote: »

When we have someone championing an actor as vigorously as you have recently I believe it's only natural that others will be unable to resist the temptation to push your buttons.

Of course Nayyar and Turner are unalike (you only need to look closely at mouths, noses and eyes), but my suggestion would be, take this thread with a pinch of salt. It's a bunch of Bond nerds debating something which ultimately will have no bearing whatsoever on who will be Bond after Craig.

Truth is, Eon want Daniel Craig for Bond 26. Until he jumps no one is in the running.

Wisest words to be seen in this thread.
    It's fun to guess and discuss who could be a future Bond.
    Sir Roger Moore was going to leave the series after Moonraker. And ended up staying for another three films!

Roger Moore had only been in the role for 6 years by the time of Moonraker, Craig has been playing Bond for 13 years.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade

Thank you!

This is a for-fun and pure speculation thread. I did not want to tread on anyone's shoes. And I am certainly no troll, either. Just my two cents why I am not entirely comfortable with Turner.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited January 2019 Posts: 1,318

I don't think it was aimed at me personally or said in jest, at least nothing from that post seemed like it. However I am indeed a strong supporter of Turner and for good reason, but that's my opinion.

Bond belongs to us all just a bit and we all feel somewhat connected to him. Perhaps because we would like to be him, or sentimental value from an early age or what have you. I sense in Turner the next Bond that is 'written in the scrolls' and I'm incredibly excited about the times to come. Good times ahead chaps.

@Univex Indeed a marvelous poster, which reminds me of the old times.
    I don't think setting our hopes on any actor is a good idea. None of it is set in stone.
    If EON keeps Daniel Craig for Bond 26 or 27, then none of the actors mentioned will be in the running.
    I don't think setting our hopes on any actor is a good idea. None of it is set in stone.
    If EON keeps Daniel Craig for Bond 26 or 27, then none of the actors mentioned will be in the running.

A valid point, but making (micro) waves is better than nothing, if one is striving for the good cause. One can only hope. Regarding Craig, I feel his time is up. Actually I would have been fine with it if he only did CR. The other films aren't my cup of tea, per se.

Wisest words to be seen in this thread.
    It's fun to guess and discuss who could be a future Bond.
    Sir Roger Moore was going to leave the series after Moonraker. And ended up staying for another three films!

Craig for Bond 26 would be pushing it imo. On principle I'd say he's even a tad old for Bond 25. But they need a successor and the current pool of candidates is not encouraging.
  • peterpeter Toronto

@NicNac impressively rational and you're right on all points.

This is a fun thread, but we have no control whatsoever, and until DC makes it official with EoN, there are no front-runners. I mentioned yesterday, this family has a history of negotiating with a popular incumbent.
    peter wrote: »

@NicNac impressively rational and you're right on all points.

This is a fun thread, but we have no control whatsoever, and until DC makes it official with EoN, there are no front-runners. I mentioned yesterday, this family has a history of negotiating with a popular incumbent.

You might not want to underestimate the power of MI6community, dear @peter :)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    When I just read that, @JeremyBondon, I heard Darth Vader's voice.
    peter wrote: »
    When I just read that, @JeremyBondon, I heard Darth Vader's voice.

ha-ha-ha-59a74b.jpg

Thank you!

This is a for-fun and pure speculation thread. I did not want to tread on anyone's shoes. And I am certainly no troll, either. Just my two cents why I am not entirely comfortable with Turner.

No worries @zebrafish. You've been here with us for many, many years, and always been a great and valued member. No one would (or should) accuse you of trolling.

@NicNac, the pushing of certain actors is inevitable because everyone has their favourites. That includes the incumbent I might add, who certain posters keep touting for one more on this forum.

However, I'm not sure if we should be condoning any pushing of anyone's buttons, no matter how tempting that may be. Attempts to goad members shouldn't be encouraged and I'm sure you'll agree. I don't think that's what happened in this instance though.

With respect to the comparisons between Turner and this other chap, I can't see it either, but to each their own. I've read comments in the past on this thread from some that Turner looks 'foreign' and disagree with that as well. He's distinctive and different from the current fella. That's about it as far as I can see. However, I can understand if someone sees that differently.

I agree also with your comments about this thread being Bond geeks expressing their wishes for the future actor. As long as people are open to suggestions and have fun with it as you wrote, it's all good. Ultimately the choice may be someone we don't expect. Personally I don't think so (I think it's just as likely to be someone from the list next time out), but I'm open to being proven wrong.

Regarding EON wanting Craig for B26: May I ask how you know that to be truth? I hope you're not basing that on an article in the DM which was originally sourced from an alleged informant's leaks to the Sun? The fact is he has one more film on his contract to fulfill and always did. They have a one picture deal for this film (for whatever reason).

Consequently, there is a possibility that they make big changes for B26 with new leadership and a new strategic vision. Then again they may not, if they want to continue with the current vision (perhaps following the current trend of 'aged' action stars). At this point we really don't know. Babs Broccoli is a business person and has shown in the past that she can change tack fundamentally based on prevailing market trends, and irrespective of how a prior film has done at the box office. I don't see why this time should be any different. All I know is Cruise will be done with MI by 2022 summer, and that suggests to me that this spy market is trending for some big changes subsequently.
    Roger Moore had only been in the role for 6 years by the time of Moonraker, Craig has been playing Bond for 13 years.
    I never thought about that before. Good point. His tenure now is longer than Rog's ever was.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I appreciate your intervention @NicNac . Being called a troll is not something members look forward to, especially when they've participated in various discussions for ages.

And regarding Turner, he's still not my cup of tea, even though I am sympthetic to the guy. From my point of view, his face looks too boyish, which reminded me of Nayyar. When James Bond enters the room, everyone takes note. I see that in Connery, Dalton and Craig. Not so sure with Turner. But that is just my opinion on a fun and speculative thread. I am certain it has no consequences in the real world. People can get hyped up over their favorite incumbent, but Barbara Broccoli has her own (reliable) gut feeling and is certainly not going to get swayed by fanboy fantasies.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 8,207
    Like I said, it will come with age. I can't disagree that he has a very youthful looking face, but by the time it comes for B26 in 2022 or later I'm confident it won't be an issue anymore.
    @Univex Indeed a marvelous poster, which reminds me of the old times.

Many thanks, dear friend. Tis true, old times were the best ;) But these are interesting times, no doubt. With the promise of surpassing the old. Let's hope and dream they do.

@NicNac, the pushing of certain actors is inevitable because everyone has their favourites. That includes the incumbent I might add, who certain posters keep touting for one more on this forum.

However, I'm not sure if we should be condoning any pushing of anyone's buttons, no matter how tempting that may be. Attempts to goad members shouldn't be encouraged and I'm sure you'll agree. I don't think that's what happened in this instance though.

With respect to the comparisons between Turner and this other chap, I can't see it either, but to each their own. I've read comments in the past on this thread from some that Turner looks 'foreign' and disagree with that as well. He's distinctive and different from the current fella. That's about it as far as I can see. However, I can understand if someone sees that differently.

I agree also with your comments about this thread being Bond geeks expressing their wishes for the future actor. As long as people are open to suggestions and have fun with it as you wrote, it's all good. Ultimately the choice may be someone we don't expect. Personally I don't think so (I think it's just as likely to be someone from the list next time out), but I'm open to being proven wrong.

Regarding EON wanting Craig for B26: May I ask how you know that to be truth? I hope you're not basing that on an article in the DM which was originally sourced from an alleged informant's leaks to the Sun? The fact is he has one more film on his contract to fulfill and always did. They have a one picture deal for this film (for whatever reason).

Consequently, there is a possibility that they make big changes for B26 with new leadership and a new strategic vision. Then again they may not, if they want to continue with the current vision (perhaps following the current trend of 'aged' action stars). At this point we really don't know. Babs Broccoli is a business person and has shown in the past that she can change tack fundamentally based on prevailing market trends, and irrespective of how a prior film has done at the box office. I don't see why this time should be any different. All I know is Cruise will be done with MI by 2022 summer, and that suggests to me that this spy market is trending for some big changes subsequently.

No, we don't condone any provocative behaviour, designed to upset or intimidate other members. My point was merely that if someone becomes especially passionate about one point such as who should be the next Bond actor then it's only to be expected that they will be teased at best, bullied at worst.
    Action is taken accordingly, but as you say this was not trolling, and shouldn't have been addressed as such.

Second point, I have no idea about who will be Bond after B25. Certainly I take nothing from a newspaper article.
    From past experience when an actor is successful in the Bond role Eon are known to cling on to them for all they are worth. They may be more than happy to let Craig go without a fight next year, but I would imagine its more likely that if B25 is financially successful they will try and keep him on.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I'm sorry but the way some members have been championing Turner they need to realise that they are going get called on it.

Some of us are straight talkers and cut to the chase I'm afraid.

Nothing covert in my opinions, just saying.

I imagine if Turner did visit these boards he'd probably consider a few restraining orders, the enthusiasm has tipped into obsession where some are concerned.

No, we don't condone any provocative behaviour, designed to upset or intimidate other members. My point was merely that if someone becomes especially passionate about one point such as who should be the next Bond actor then it's only to be expected that they will be teased at best, bullied at worst.
    Action is taken accordingly, but as you say this was not trolling, and shouldn't have been addressed as such.

Second point, I have no idea about who will be Bond after B25. Certainly I take nothing from a newspaper article.
    From past experience when an actor is successful in the Bond role Eon are known to cling on to them for all they are worth. They may be more than happy to let Craig go without a fight next year, but I would imagine its more likely that if B25 is financially successful they will try and keep him on.
    Thank you for the clarification @NicNac. If I see anything which I consider goading, bullying or provocative behaviour, I'll be sure to flag it so that it can be addressed immediately going forward.

Regarding Craig, I'm glad you clarified that this was an opinion and not truth and that you didn't see much value in a Sun article. I agree that this was the case in the past, but that was the past. We are under new leadership now, with different styles and approaches. This very fact has been used by some to indicate why we should be happy with how things are progressing. Well different leadership means different approaches as evidenced by the change of actors in 2005. I am not aware of anything which suggested Babs and Michael weren't satisfied with Brosnan. Rather, I am of the understanding that they wanted a change of direction, and it made sense to recast. This is after DAD made bucketloads of money. That was only after seven years in the role, and not what will be seventeen by the time B26 arrives (most likely).

So past is not prologue and we are in a time of significant change in the industry, including attitudes and viewer demographics that an enduring franchise like Bond must cater to.

Bottom line is we don't know anything, and that's why friendly speculation without judgment is appropriate, as you noted.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I'm sorry but the way some members have been championing Turner they need to realise that they are going get called on it.

Some of us are straight talkers and cut to the chase I'm afraid.

Nothing covert in my opinions, just saying.

I imagine if Turner did visit these boards he'd probably consider a few restraining orders, the enthusiasm has tipped into obsession where some are concerned.

That was very funny! And you could be right, lol!
    edited January 2019 Posts: 1,318
    Perhaps it's an idea if people actually read what I factually wrote after a certain member made a post which "reeked of trolling". I would appreciate if we stay with the actual black on white and not exaggerate or bend my words. Given what said member wrote, it certainly seemed like a bait/troll, as a few other members pointed out they look nothing alike. Semantics aside said member could have expected a reply like mine, action reaction.

Indeed I'm 'passionate', like a few other members, about Turner and I understand that may be annoying to other members, but there are other ways to express yourself other than being really farfetched, which no one else seems to support.

Long term or shorter term member, consecutively or not, I've had several accounts here dating from way back, so I know my way around here. Let that be clear.