No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    jobo wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    opposed to the minimalist ding-ding tunes of recent films in modern cinema.
    Food for thought: a large group of professional musicians thought that the score of Skyfall was one of the 5 best scores of 2012.

And? What does that have to do with me..,

It’s like this

Me “man I love pizza”
    You “I hate pizza and so do 5 top chefs
    (What you expect me to say
    “Oh man I hate pizza now”

It doesn’t work like that I don’t care if you get quotes from my favorite band yes saying how they hate David Arnold and it still won’t change my opinion

No one demands that you change your opinion. But showing some modesty and respect for people who know more than you regarding certain topics is adviceable...

But all art and media is subjective and down to personal opinion. Professional musicians liking a score doesn’t make it sound better to me, or even make it objectively good. They like it. That’s their opinion. Good for them, but I don’t care.

Thank you.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Just out of curiosity and to allay any lingering concerns I may have re: my earlier thoughts, could someone please give me an example of one 'self contained' multi-film series which ended on a 'high' note critically and then successfully rebooted with the immediately following film (as opposed to the successor getting critically panned and then having to reset again after a few films)? I'm hoping there's one. I'm not referring to box office, but rather critical reception.
    Food for thought: a large group of professional musicians thought that the score of Skyfall was one of the 5 best scores of 2012.

It’s like this

Me “man I love pizza”

It doesn’t work like that I don’t care if you get quotes from my favorite band yes saying how they hate David Arnold and it still won’t change my opinion

No one demands that you change your opinion. But showing some modesty and respect for people who know more than you regarding certain topics is adviceable...

But all art and media is subjective and down to personal opinion. Professional musicians liking a score doesn’t make it sound better to me, or even make it objectively good. They like it. That’s their opinion. Good for them, but I don’t care.

Thank you

It’s like this

Me “man I love pizza”

And how do you know what I know about the topic of music?

Honestly I could be Thomas Newman for all you know honestly though I have been playing guitar for 25 years bass for 20 keyboards for 15 etc but yeah I know nothing so how many instruments can you play
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

It’s like this

Me “man I love pizza”

There's a certain irony in advising against ignorance, ignorantly.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity and to allay any lingering concerns I may have re: my earlier thoughts, could someone please give me an example of one 'self contained' multi-film series which ended on a 'high' note critically and then successfully rebooted with the immediately following film (as opposed to the successor getting critically panned and then having to reset again after a few films)? I'm hoping there's one. I'm not referring to box office, but rather critical reception.

The Potter franchise. Fantastic Beasts didn't do too shabby and was well received. The first one, at least, not the latest one. Don't know if that fits the bill. I'll think of others. Wait, but that one had a continuity, albeit being prequels. So...no, because no other had the Bond formula. I think. It's late here ;)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    I don’t have an issue with some amount of continuity in bond every now and then if it is done well. The issue with bond 25 relying significantly on spectre is that spectre is a bad film. There is nothing in it that I have any interest in exploring further. Any plot point that relies on spectre, even if it is in itself good, brings the shadow of the bad plot point from spectre with it. There are obviously some great aspects to it, but the film as a whole is bad, one that I don’t want to be reminded of when I watch bond 25. Also I hated fallout. Hopefully any connection to spectre is minor. Would be difficult to be excited for a sequel to a film that I and many others consider to be a failure.

I could always be wrong, but I will bet SP is not in B25.

(I hope it's not as well)
    Univex wrote: »

The Potter franchise. Fantastic Beasts didn't do too shabby and was well received. The first one, at least, not the latest one. Don't know if that fits the bill. I'll think of others. Wait, but that one had a continuity, albeit being prequels. So...no, because no other had the Bond formula. I think. It's late here ;)
    Cheers. Just curious. I'll try to think of a few myself.
  • peterpeter Toronto

I'm obviously a dummy. What's the question here:

"give me an example of one 'self contained' multi-film series which ended on a 'high' note critically and then successfully rebooted with the immediately following film (as opposed to the successor getting critically panned and then having to reset again after a few films)? "...

Are you talking an Alien self-contained series that then went back to Ridley Scott's re-boots?

And I don't think I saw your original post , so I have to ask, @bondjames , what and how does this relate to Bond and B25? Once again, so that text doesn't misconstrue, I'm genuinely asking and not being sarcastic.

Great question - tough to answer. I had jumped to Star Trek as an answer but then I remembered that Nemesis was the previous film to the 2009 film.
    peter wrote: »

I'm obviously a dummy. What's the question here:

"give me an example of one 'self contained' multi-film series which ended on a 'high' note critically and then successfully rebooted with the immediately following film (as opposed to the successor getting critically panned and then having to reset again after a few films)? "...

Are you talking an Alien self-contained series that then went back to Ridley Scott's re-boots?

And I don't think I saw your original post , so I have to ask, @bondjames , what and how does this relate to Bond and B25? Once again, so that text doesn't misconstrue, I'm genuinely asking and not being sarcastic.
    I wouldn't say you're a dummy.

I'm asking about whether a self contained multi-film series with a continuing narrative has ever finished with a critically acclaimed last entry and then continued on with a reboot in the next entry in a successful critical fashion. If you know of any, let us know.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    DAD was financially successful and, at the time some critics chimed in with positive notes. This led to CR.

On TV-- Dr Who...?

But, as interesting as this is, is this something to do with B25 and 007's future? (I'm only saying this since maybe this is a genuine new thread?).
    DAD was financially successful and, at the time some critics chimed in with positive notes. This led to CR.

On TV-- Dr Who...?

But, as interesting as this is, is this something to do with B25 and 007's future? (I'm only saying this since maybe this is a genuine new thread?).

Quite.

On TV-- Dr Who...?

DAD was't really what I had in mind because Bond films up to that point were standalones (I'm asking about self contained continuity stories, like LOTR or Bourne). Ultimately it wasn't a critically acclaimed film entry, irrespective of how some may have commented on it at the time (views have changed on several Bond films over the years). More than anything, it gave a feeling of the product being tired and painted into a corner.

It has as much to do with OO7's future as the numerous things we discuss on this thread, and certainly more so than a lot of other topics we enjoy here. If you think of any example, feel free to let me know. I'm genuinely interested. There is hopefully one.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Dude, I am a dummy.

Outside of my reply, I have no idea what you're asking and how this applies to James Bond.

When DC is done and a new actor takes over, regardless of what happened in the "prior contained time-line", audiences will flock to a new 007 film.

Again, so text doesn't rob me of my curious question, I'm not being sarcastic. How does this apply to B25 and the future??

It's like those books, this time entitled "Bond For Dummies", but for Peter Sheldrick.

Dude, I am a dummy.

Outside of my reply, I have no idea what you're asking and how this applies to James Bond.

When DC is done and a new actor takes over, regardless of what happened in the "prior contained time-line", audiences will flock to a new 007 film.

Again, so text doesn't rob me of my curious question, I'm not being sarcastic. How does this apply to B25 and the future??

It's like those books, this time entitled "Bond For Dummies", but for Peter Sheldrick.

Your not a dummy I on the other hand have to wear a fake mustache to seem smart
    Don't be so hard on yourself. I repeat again that you're not a dummy.

I just asked a specific question. I don't need an answer, but if anyone has one, I'd appreciate it No biggie otherwise. Just ignore if you don't know. Your observations on how it relates to the thread have been noted, but it's not the question I asked.

Regarding your point about audiences flocking, we all certainly realize that. We are talking about the most financially successful continuously running series in history.
  • peterpeter Toronto

I just asked a specific question. I don't need an answer, but if anyone has one, I'd appreciate it No biggie otherwise. Just ignore if you don't know. Your observations on how it relates to the thread have been noted, but it's not the question I asked.

Regarding your point about audiences flocking, we all certainly realize that. We are talking about the most financially successful continuously running series in history.

So lets move this question onto a new thread, and not on the B25 thread-- fair?

And according to my wife, I'm stone-ages-Fred-Flinstone dummy, but-

She loves me anyways... And I benefit...

So lets move this question onto a new thread, and not on the B25 thread-- fair?

And according to my wife, I'm stone-ages-Fred-Flinstone dummy, but-

She loves me anyways... And I benefit...
    No, I disagree on your request to start a new thread for this question. It's related to our conversation about B25 and films after that. As I said, as relevant as anything we've discussed here over the past month.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I'm asking about whether a self contained multi-film series with a continuing narrative has ever finished with a critically acclaimed last entry and then continued on with a reboot in the next entry in a successful critical fashion. If you know of any, let us know.

That's DAD @bondjames , and you rejected that.

I'm still wondering what your point is, vis a vis, this thread (B25 thread; this next film is not a "re-boot", so why is this question posed, and how is it related to B25? If there's a reason, please state why it belongs here and the association to the new film, if not; this question belongs in a new thread.)

That's DAD @bondjames , and you rejected that.

I'm still wondering what your point is, vis a vis, this thread (B25 thread; this next film is not a "re-boot", so why is this question posed, and how is it related to B25? If there's a reason, please state why it belongs here and the association to the new film, if not; this question belongs in a new thread.)
    You did take your shot at answering the question. Thanks. I appreciate it. I don't think there's any need for you and I to clog the thread further with further unneeded back and forth opinion on what belongs where.

I look forward to anyone else's thoughts on my question. If nothing jumps out, just ignore please.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    so... do u have an answer, @bondjames ?
    I don't and that's why I asked the question.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    And I have to ask-- I am curious:

How does your question pertain to B25-- since this is the thread for the next film...?

Then perhaps we have a source, a subject to rely on, like Malcolm Gladwell discusses in Blink? Your question needs to anchor itself so we can better respond and perhaps come up with a better answer than DAD...

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I am always amazed at how much Thomas Newman, of all people, becomes such a polarizing topic on these boards.
    The faster we get to 1995 the better just my opinion
    I trust CF to give us an outstanding film.
    TripAces wrote: »
    I am always amazed at how much Thomas Newman, of all people, becomes such a polarizing topic on these boards.

I don't see why Newman would be immune to such polarisation, considering the rather equally split quality of his output.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    I trust CF to give us an outstanding film.

But that makes sooooo much sense, @fjdinardo !!

Why are you not saying this next 007 film has the potential to be utter crap?? Like "many" on this site???

(I joke of course and I agree)

It’s like this

Me “man I love pizza”

Thank you

It’s like this

Me “man I love pizza”

Honestly I could be Thomas Newman for all you know honestly though I have been playing guitar for 25 years bass for 20 keyboards for 15 etc but yeah I know nothing so how many instruments can you play

It’s like this

Me “man I love pizza”

Thank you

It’s like this

Me “man I love pizza”

(Since you ask) Only one, but I happen to make my living from playing it professionaly and have a master degree in music performance. I have also taken courses in various compositional techniques. But that is not the point. I don't claim to have a special athouroty on musical opinion, and I don't claim it is not a matter subjective taste. I read a lot of weird descriptions of the Skyfall score on these boards though...

Your reaction of anger towards a simple reminder that notable musicians rate the Skyfall score highly, made me think you were not exactly the modest type and probably not very interested in music to begin with...

It’s like this

Me “man I love pizza”

Thank you

It’s like this

Me “man I love pizza”

It’s like this

Me “man I love pizza”

Thank you

It’s like this

Me “man I love pizza”

(Since you ask) Only one, but I happen to make my living from playing it professionaly and have a master degree in music performance. I have also taken courses in various compositional techniques. But that is not the point. I don't claim to have a special athouroty on musical opinion, and I don't claim it is not a matter subjective taste. I read a lot of weird descriptions of the Skyfall score on these boards though...

Your reaction of anger towards a simple reminder that notable musicians rate the Skyfall score highly, made me think you were not exactly the modest type and probably not very interested in music to begin with...

A few quick points

1. For me I will perpetually be a beginner no matter what success my future when you realize Steve Howe at what 26,27 did close to the edge. It’s insane as a musician I assume your aware of the 1972 album
    2. Music is my world always has been always will be
    3. I am quite modest
    4. I understand you like Thomas Newman and I am glad you do I do own a few tracks from both Skyfall and spectre’s soundtrscks but neither one are the best