No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Rami Malek on Bond villain rumours:

"We’ll have to see about that – it would be nice to play a villain, that would be another dream role for me. I’ve got to play so many great ones so far so who knows. I’m keeping tight-lipped."

https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/06/rami-malek-teases-next-bond-villain-keeping-tight-lipped-8313948/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
  • Blofeld0064Blofeld0064 Milford, Michigan
    jake24 wrote: »

"We’ll have to see about that – it would be nice to play a villain, that would be another dream role for me. I’ve got to play so many great ones so far so who knows. I’m keeping tight-lipped."

https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/06/rami-malek-teases-next-bond-villain-keeping-tight-lipped-8313948/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Please be true!!
    “I’m keeping tight-lipped.”

My takeaway? They definitely want him in it and probably are trying to work something out.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    FoxRox wrote: »
    “I’m keeping tight-lipped.”

My takeaway? They definitely want him in it and probably are trying to work something out.
    Precisely.
    If they can make his Mr Robot schedule work, he would be a great get for lead villain. An Oscar nom is pretty much a lock so his star power will be much higher. Let's hope they can make it work
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    He reminds me of max denbigh...............
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    jake24 wrote: »

giphy.gif
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Agreed. At best I see him as the Denbigh type. We'll see.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

Have you ever watched Mr. Robot and Bohemian Rhapsody? If not, I highly recommend it. This guy is a real talent, he was able to portray both a fragile sociopath with a double personality and the most charismatic legendary rock icon ever with excellent results. Nothing to compare with Andrew Scott. Malek is far more versatile and talented. There's some creepiness and charm in him that could be very interesting to use for a Bond villain.
    bondbat007 wrote: »
    If they can make his Mr Robot schedule work, he would be a great get for lead villain. An Oscar nom is pretty much a lock so his star power will be much higher. Let's hope they can make it work

I predict he's goin to win the Oscar, or at least the Golden Globe tomorrow. It's his moment and everybody seem to love him. He also has a really strong young fanbase that could be interesting for EoN to intercept. The main problem is the schedule. Mr. Robot 4 starts filming March 7 and they'll wrap in August (or maybe end of July). So he should do both simultaneously. Let's see. In the interview Malek seemed really embarrassed and to me this is a confirmation that they're in deep talk.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited January 2019 Posts: 8,159
    A longer movie run-time will help make up for the fact that we've had to wait a few more years in between and it will help with the quality of the film for character development, in this generation of binge-watching tv viewers.

I disagree. I don't think longer means deeper and more character development. SPECTRE was 2 and a half hours, and there was little to no character development to speak of. If you ask me Bond 25 needs to be a tighter package which cuts out some of the bloat. Hopefully the movie won't be any longer than 130 minutes.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    A longer movie run-time will help make up for the fact that we've had to wait a few more years in between and it will help with the quality of the film for character development, in this generation of binge-watching tv viewers.

I disagree. I don't think longer means deeper and more character development. SPECTRE was 2 and a half hours, and there was little to no character development to speak of. If you ask me Bond 25 needs to be a tighter package which cuts out some of the bloat. Hopefully the movie won't be any longer than 130 minutes.

Which is fine. Something inbetween QoS and CR/SF.
    Roadphill wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    I'd rather watch snuff than Die Another Day. Unspeakably horrible film. It makes my blood pressure rise just thinking about it. I utterly detest that film with every cell of my being.

In fact I find it surprising it was released at all (in it's final form).

This is not the place to talk about why I appreciate SP or why you hate it, but the movie is the fourth highest grossing Bond (adjusting inflation) out of 24. So you shouldn't be surprised at all and it's pretty clear that most of the world doesn't share your opinion...

Speaking about 25, which should be the focus of this thread, I'm wondering if EoN is still trying to get Rami Malek. The guy is one of the few frontrunners for winning a Golden Globe and an Oscar for his great work in Bohemian Rhapsody and he's clearly living a special moment. Everybody seems to love him and he's getting a lot of social media praise and attention. Fingers crossed because he's clearly extremely versatile and a younger villain could be something very interesting and fresh.

A younger villain would be interesting. I think a Zuckerbergish Millennial billionaire would be something different.

Oh gosh that's the last thing I want! Didn't work with Graves, and evil businessmen are so unimaginative.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    matt_u wrote: »

Have you ever watched Mr. Robot and Bohemian Rhapsody? If not, I highly recommend it. This guy is a real talent, he was able to portray both a fragile sociopath with a double personality and the most charismatic legendary rock icon ever with excellent results. Nothing to compare with Andrew Scott. Malek is far more versatile and talented. There's some creepiness and charm in him that could be very interesting to use for a Bond villain.
    I hate it to admit it, but I haven’t seen either of them. Might watch Mr. Robot to see how he fares in the role, or look into some of his other work as well. Can’t pass complete judgment based on a few photographs after all. You could be right. Some ten years ago I laughed at the idea of Mathieu Amalric being a villain. But, the guy impressed me big time. So, I’m keeping an open mind. We’ll see how it goes.

I do hope Marek poses some physical threat to Craig’s Bond as well, if cast. Don’t want an all-brain/no physical villain like Denbigh or Kronsteen to be the main antagonist.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 8,159
    Maybe he could be Blofeld's number 2 in command?

It's a bit strange that we are coming up on one year until Bond 25 is released, and we still know next to nothing. Makes you wonder what is really going on behind the scenes.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 17,335
    I remember Malek best from The War at Home of all things, so I know he's capable of some lighthearted comedy. He also played a more dramatic role in 24 a few years later, which I remember being quite surprised by, as I thought he'd be the type of actor to be typecast as an awkward character in sitcoms – like one of the characters in The Big Bang Theory for example.

Haven't seen him in much since, but I have no doubt he could make a good villain; I just wonder what type of villain they are looking to cast him as.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 4,400
    I'm fairly certain it just can't work out. At the start of the video he speaks of Mr. Robot starting production in February. Bond 25 begins filming in March.

https://www.etonline.com/rami-malek-and-christian-slater-tease-very-very-climatic-ending-to-mr-robot-exclusive-116667

I can't see the dates working out. Which is a shame as Malek would make a brilliant Bond villain. Maybe the delay in casting news is due to Barbara working on getting Malek's schedule sorted? I suppose, we only have 7 weeks till we find out....

There's just something about him that screams villain here:

sec_46346682-c4f0.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=644%2C338
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Couldn't agree more. Make the movie two and half hours. If it's warranted.
    With CR it worked, the story was there, and we got character development. No-one complained, even non-Bond fans. With SF and SP the run time was excessive without being necessary. Could've easily lost 30-40 minutes without effecting too much.
    Just because a movie is long, doesn't mean it's going to be good.
    130-140 minutes tops.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited January 2019 Posts: 8,009
    I'm fairly certain it just can't work out. At the start of the video he speaks of Mr. Robot starting production in February. Bond 25 begins filming in March.

https://www.etonline.com/rami-malek-and-christian-slater-tease-very-very-climatic-ending-to-mr-robot-exclusive-116667

I can't see the dates working out. Which is a shame as Malek would make a brilliant Bond villain. Maybe the delay in casting news is due to Barbara working on getting Malek's schedule sorted? I suppose, we only have 7 weeks till we find out....

Never say never, where there’s a will, there’s a way. .
    For Back to the Future, Michael J Fox was committed to his TV show; a third of the film was shot with Eric Stoltz. When that wasn’t working, a deal was struck allowing Fox to do the movie .
    Shooting schedules can be arranged to make things work. It may cost EON some $$$, but if the want him badly enough...
    The feeling of time = The feeling of quality

So, we might as well be talking about the quality of the script.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Am I the only one who totally disagrees with this hype over Rami Mallek as a Bond villain? There's something about him that I don't like, and I don't know what it is. I just think he's not suit enough for the enigmatic role of a Bond villain, maybe it's he's age. Not sure.
    Benny wrote: »

Couldn't agree more. Make the movie two and half hours. If it's warranted.
    With CR it worked, the story was there, and we got character development. No-one complained, even non-Bond fans. With SF and SP the run time was excessive without being necessary. Could've easily lost 30-40 minutes without effecting too much.
    Just because a movie is long, doesn't mean it's going to be good.
    130-140 minutes tops.

Indeed it's a shame that the best paced and tightest Bond films remain the oldest ones. They have been getting longer since the start, and I personally would like to see them return to the same length of the early 70's films. I think those were the right length, as a benchmark.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I agree SF could have lost 10 or 15 but 30 - 40 minutes?

I guess it comes down to how much you enjoyed it, it's one of my favourites. CR for me although looked at by some as excessive, I think needed the room to breathe and establish things and also needs that time to establish the Bond and Vesper relationship to make it work at the end.

SF though again for me was fine although the odd bit of fat could have possibly gone. As for SP I've made no secret of that being my most hated entry and it could have had everything after the PTS removed for all I care.

Whereas QOS I'm a fan I still need to acknowledge for me anyway I could have done with that being around the 2 hr mark, even then it would have seen economic with the time in comparison to the rest of the era.

More moments to breathe in that and I might be able to understand those that call it the watermark of the DC era but its just too frenetic at times. That being said I think it's a terrific entry despite it's issues.

Bond 25 is likely to go over the 2-hour mark, look if CF and the other writers can justify a long length then there is no problem, apart from SP there wasn't one time I was looking at my watch in this era, although I realize that some feel differently.

The fact we know practically nothing is huge contrast to where SP was at this stage and to me that is a big plus to take into account.

Too much of this wanting to know everything early is beyond me, what's wrong with a little mystery?

EON are playing their cards very close to their chest, getting burned last time and having their dirty washing very publicly aired has taught them a lesson.

Though I could be wrong and Bond 25 is doomed to failure and will be a huge flop, I get the distinct feeling certain people would like just that to prove them that they were right in their suspicions.

Why the hell should Craig get to go out with a quality entry when no other actor has, how dare he expect that, yep that's it Bond 25 is going to be rubbish.
    Am I the only one who totally disagrees with this hype over Rami Mallek as a Bond villain? There's something about him that I don't like, and I don't know what it is. I just think he's not suit enough for the enigmatic role of a Bond villain, maybe it's he's age. Not sure.
    I have to agree. Fortunately it seems he is too busy.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I have not seen Rami in a film, so I assume he has something that some or many of you like. Just looking at the photos, I get nothing from him; just "meh." So we shall see. We need a strong villain for sure.
    Nobody seems concerned we're 60 days out from filming and it looks like they haven't cast the villain.
    If

If his hair were just a bit longer in the front he could play Dario.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 17,335
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Nobody seems concerned we're 60 days out from filming and it looks like they haven't cast the villain.

Don't know how much we can read from his comments though. Anyway, I expect EON to have a list of potential (available) replacements.
    Tuck91 wrote: »

Yeah, kinda strange. Hope everything is going ok.
    They probably have cast more than just the villain. We just don't know squat. Good for them.