No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• mybudgetbondmybudgetbond The World
    patb wrote: »
    @Pierce2Daniel IMHO McQuarrie paid the price re Fallout with the lack of cohesive story and previous installments were better written.

If there is one area where the next Bond can beat MI all over is having a great, well written story. A classic Bond movie is more than just a series of action set pieces linked together by some "quiet bits."

I was bored stiff during Fallout. Action means nothing if the story isn’t good.

And MI1 is one of my favourite films. Actually the one I’ve seen the most in the cinema (6 times!) and I love 4 and 5.

Fallout left me cold.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 2,115
    One question that remains unanswered - Boyle was working from his own script and apparently sets were under construction. Does that cost get added on to whatever Fukunaga creates, or will they do their best to incorporate as much as possible into the finished film? It's seems expensive to just build sets only to then knock them down again.

Short answer: Yes, what ever they spent on sets will figure into Bond 25's final cost. When a movie gets the green light, costs of all scripts get charged against the project. Here's a more extreme case: 1963's Cleopatra started filming in England in 1961. It was shut down then eventually resumed production in Rome with a different cast (except for Elizabeth Taylor).
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    One question that remains unanswered - Boyle was working from his own script and apparently sets were under construction. Does that cost get added on to whatever Fukunaga creates, or will they do their best to incorporate as much as possible into the finished film? It's seems expensive to just build sets only to then knock them down again.

Short answer: Yes, what ever they spent on sets will figure into Bond 25's final cost. When a movie gets the green light, costs of all scripts get charged against the project. Here's a more extreme case: 1963's Cleopatra started filming in England in 1961. It was shut down then eventually resumed production in Rome with a different cast (except for Elizabeth Taylor).

Then Bond 25 may be the most expensive Bobd movie yet, depending on how much was scraped. Certainly won't help with saving costs.

And the sets,props etc all used to make 'Carry on Cleo'.
  • AgentM72 wrote: »
    I actually hope someone asks CJF about Boyle at the presser, just so he can reply "We're here today to talk about a film that we're actually making, and not a film that someone else isn't. Thanks."

I think CJF is too respectful and diplomatic to make such a statement. He’ll likely say something more polite about how he respects Boyle and claim ignorance over any issues he had with Eon before pivoting to how excited he is to make Bond 25.
    Do we think that Rami Malek will eventually join the cast? His Mr. Robot schedule means he’ll likely be out of action between March to July 2019. Bond 25 will likely shoot through from March to September 2019. Also, Malek is slowly becoming just a component on that show opposed to the lead. There was much more emphasis on the supporting cast over the last two seasons. However, he is the de facto lead of the show.

I think it could be worked out. However, if he does not get the gig, we need to think what his potential casting means for the character. It would suggest Eon are after a ‘name’ actor who is:

- American
    - Young
    - Possibly with a Middle Eastern look though Malek is ethnically a bit ‘ambiguous’ and he has paid Caucasian characters.

If they want a ‘name’ actor, they should get Leonardo DiCaprio. He can play ‘young-ish’ and was a fantastic villain in Django Unchained – and Eon clearly have a penchant for pinching Tarantino’s villains.

1f50418a1d78964ee1277d68a805382a328b07b2.jpg
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    I actually hope someone asks CJF about Boyle at the presser, just so he can reply "We're here today to talk about a film that we're actually making, and not a film that someone else isn't. Thanks."

I think CJF is too respectful and diplomatic to make such a statement. He’ll likely say something more polite about how he respects Boyle and claim ignorance over any issues he had with Eon before pivoting to how excited he is to make Bond 25.

Certainly -- t'was said in jest. :)

Cary strikes me as someone who will certainly give diplomatic, if slightly disruptive, answers to any and all of these types of questions. I've loved reading and seeing many of his interviews to date...a very intelligent, thoughtful man in the way he communicates what he thinks. I'm looking forward to a great many insightful soundbytes about Bond 25 in the near future.

If Boyle had the balls, he would hold a rogue press conference at the same time as EON's press conference to answer questions about his Bond 25 experience. :))
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    edited December 2018 Posts: 2,630
    If Boyle had the balls, he would hold a rogue press conference at the same time as EON's press conference to answer questions about his Bond 25 experience. :))

He won't because that would massively damage his reputation. "If Boyle had the balls" Boyle is smart enough to know what kind of stupid idea this is and what implications this would have for future career opportunities.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    The way I see it, let the truth unfold when it’s time. Right now it’s all about Craig, Fukunaga, and Bond 25. I for one don’t really care at this point in time what went down with Boyle. Let’s look at the bigger picture instead.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    The way I see it, let the truth unfold when it’s time. Right now it’s all about Craig, Fukunaga, and Bond 25. I for one don’t really care at this point in time what went down with Boyle. Let’s look at the bigger picture instead.

Could not agree more.
    Boyle's BOND 25 experience is very much part of the bigger picture. They will have to at least address what happened late summer during the press conference.
    Danny Boyle could direct Tim Dalton in another Bond. Just saying....
  • Blofeld0064Blofeld0064 Milford, Michigan

I really hope you are joking!
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 17,291
    Boyle's BOND 25 experience is very much part of the bigger picture. They will have to at least address what happened late summer during the press conference.

No, they don't have to.
    Can we discuss something remotely interesting? Craig's hair length? The fit of his suits? Stubble or no stubble? How blonde will he be? His height, perhaps? There are so many topics to choose from ;)
  • Why is this Panchito individual obsessed with what Boyle has to say?
    abdurahman wrote: »
    Why is this Panchito individual obsessed with what Boyle has to say?
    Umm, maybe you weren't paying attention, but the great Danny Boyle was the director of BOND 25 between May 25 and August 21.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 6,677
    Panchito, who the hell cares anymore?

Lets move on, shall we?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Don't feed the rooster.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Don't feed the rooster.

Gotcha.
    Don't feed the trolls.
    I’d gladly discuss Craig’s suits. I would love to see Tom Ford come back, BUT with the QoS fit (minus the pagoda styled shoulders).
  • Blofeld0064Blofeld0064 Milford, Michigan
    We should have a different fitting look for craig's suits since jany temine is not costume designer this time.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

No, they don't have to.

I agree 100% there is absolutely no need to address; countless films undergo similar growing pains and there is little made of it. The only people who have any interest in the behind the scenes intrigue are fans, or people who clam to be. In the big picture this is a barely measurable number.
    I guarantee that if every individual who goes to see Bond 25 were to be polled, the percentage of who would have an awareness that there was a change of director would be in the single digits.
    If asked, a polite, brief response will be given then, next question.
    What I find interesting is that someone is demanding a full account. The truth is, while it may be interesting, in the end, it’s none of your business.

Yes, but don’t forget, Craig had a lot of input as to how he wanted his suits to fit in Skyfall & SP. It wasn’t all Temime’s doing.

So I was at the latest cookie swap at Eon productions @peter you must give me the rescipe for your gingerbread men cookies amazing anyways Babs said and I quote “the real reason Boyle had to go was I wanted to piss off that panchito guy on the mi6 forums he is truely an odd duck”

So now we all know we can all move on now if you all will excuse me I have more cookies to eat
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Risico007 wrote: »

So I was at the latest cookie swap at Eon productions @peter you must give me the rescipe for your gingerbread men cookies amazing anyways Babs said and I quote “the real reason Boyle had to go was I wanted to piss off that panchito guy on the mi6 forums he is truely an odd duck”

So now we all know we can all move on now if you all will excuse me I have more cookies to eat

I will never reveal my gingerbread cookie recipe. Ever. Jump off the Golden Gate Bridge @Risico007 !!!

I do think Barbara has a small crush on Panchitos; like a love/hate thing. She did promise to leak more “info” about Nolan directing a Bond film, just so she could crush our friend’s libido, or something like that...
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    I hoped on new second united directer for Bond 25.
  • No real qualms with Alexander Witt returning for Bond 25.

So much of the ‘look’ of the action is dictated by the director. Mendes was a fairly unimpressive action director (though he did have his moments, especially in terms of cinematography), however, Witt did great work when paired with Martin Campbell. CR is still one of the best action films in the series (not to mention the great story and character work).

I imagine Fukunaga’s approach to ‘action’ will vary considerably. We’ll likely get a lot more one-take sequences or fewer cuts in general.

Following the appointment of Linus Sandgren, the next big hire for the behind-the-scenes team will be the composer. Considering Mendes stole Christopher Nolan's crew for Spectre, should we expect Fukunaga to do something similar after pinching Damian Chazelle's DP and go for his composer, Justin Hurwitz?

There seems to be some consensus that Hurwitz is the heir to composers such as John Barry and John Williams.