No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Blofeld0064Blofeld0064 Milford, Michigan
    Ok what's the likely chance cary fukunaga could be both the director and cinematographer? I really loved the cinematography in beasts of no nation!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Ok what's the likely chance cary fukunaga could be both the director and cinematographer? I really loved the cinematography in beasts of no nation!

It would be a first in the series. From what I have seen, I wouldn t be against it.
    A few thoughts on Arnold returning, Newman, etc.

On other forums I've criticized Arnold's scores. I loved TND, but TWINE was a slog and DAD wasn't much better.

I pointed that I listened to the entire CR soundtrack on a travel and barely registered it was still playing at points. I thought it most came alive when he incorporated Cornell's theme into it. African Rundown, for instance, starts well and just gets lost. Liked QoS a little more, thought it worked well but still wanted more out of it.

Funny thing is I felt the exact same thing with Newman's scores as well. I've tried to give both a chance multiple times and it's even worse. There's a track from a scene in Blofeld's lair where it's a good 30 seconds or so of silence or something so low it barely registers.

As far as the SF soundtrack selling well, I wonder how much of that came from unsuspecting people who bought it thinking the Adele theme was on it or other songs from her. I question this because I recall when AVTAK came out the album sold well also I've heard due to Duran Duran fans thinking it was all their music. How disappointed they must have been after the opening cut.

I also recall at my first viewing of SF hearing some teen girl singing the theme over and over before the film began and wondering if she had a clue what the movie was about and if she just was curious because she liked the song. Not that that's a bad way of getting butts in the seats, but how many came not knowing anything about Bond.

Barry's soundtracks and some of the others were imprinted on my brain for years - I recall humming the YOLT theme when I was a preschooler - and I honestly can't hum anything from Newman's 2 works and fewer from Arnold. Maybe it's just a sign of the times.
    I also would like to think fukunaga is co writing the script with purvis and wade and will be credited for co writing I still wonder if there are elements of boyle and hodge's script that will remain like could there still be possible that they will still use the russian villain?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited November 2018 Posts: 4,554
    Walecs wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    A complete list of theatrical feature films David Arnold composed scores for since his last Bond movie:

Agent Crush
    Made in Dagenham
    Morning Glory
    The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
    Paul
    The Inbetweeners 2

Why would the great Fukunaga want to work with someone as second rate as Arnold?

A complete list of theatrical feature films Daniel Craig has starred in since his last Bond movie:

Logan Lucky
    Kings

Why would the great Fukunaga want to work with someone as second rate as Craig?

Apples to oranges.

It has been ten years since Arnold's last Bond film. It's been three for Craig. So...no, doesn't work. I'm surprised those applauding this post didn't realize that glaring difference.

That's because you completely missed the point of my post. What I meant is that Arnold is the right man for a Bond score because he already proved he's capable of great things with the CR and QoS score. You should judge him upon that, not upon the extra-Bond stuff he did.

But then again I'm arguing with someone who thinks a work's quality should be judged upon the oscars it received.

And you failed to read why I mentioned awards and Billboard. Go ahead and adore Arnold. That’s fine; he did some good work. But Newman is perfectly fine without Bond; he’s still going to score some of the best films every year. There is a reason he is one of the most sought after composers in the biz. And there is a reason Arnold is sitting on the sidelines. And those are facts.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    echo wrote: »
    I think we need an "Agree to Disagree" thread, which would include well-trod topics as "Should Arnold return?" and "Is Bond a code name?" that clutter other threads.

1. I think we already have plenty of David Arnold appreciation or DA vs. Thomas Newman threads.

2. It's not, period. We had threads about that and they're pointless.

And yet, these debates (or "debates") keep popping up, over and over.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I think we need an "Agree to Disagree" thread, which would include well-trod topics as "Should Arnold return?" and "Is Bond a code name?" that clutter other threads.

1. I think we already have plenty of David Arnold appreciation or DA vs. Thomas Newman threads.

2. It's not, period. We had threads about that and they're pointless.

And yet, these debates (or "debates") keep popping up, over and over.

Because that's what we do. The matter will never be settled and when it comes to Bond, we'll continue to bring up these issues. But a little of it in the "wrong" threads doesn't hurt. ;-)
    ooooohhhh roll on January/February!!!!!!
  • TripAces wrote: »
    Musical tastes are purely subjective. But in the most objective terms there are, Newman's SF score exceeded everything Arnold had done in the previous five films. Newman was nominated for an Oscar and won a Grammy (those are his peers speaking). And his soundtrack for SF was the highest selling in 27 years and made it on the album chart (that's the public speaking).

Musical tastes are purely subjective. But in the most objective terms there are, Hamlisch's TSWLM score exceeded everything Barry had done in his previous seven films. Hamlisch was nominated for an Oscar for his score and his song (those are his peers speaking). And his song for TSWLM charted higher in the US than any of Barry's over the previous 15 years (that's the public speaking).

Peers and public, Grammies and charts, subjective, objective—Arnold is in good company.
    In an alternative universe Danny Boyle will start filming BOND 25 in 3 and a half weeks!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Glad I don't live in that universe.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 1,533
    Personally, I'd like to live in an alternate universe where we have two Lazenby films, four Dalton films, five Brosnan films, a Craig film in 2010, Bond 25 having been released in 2018, and my face is on the $500 bill. Lol but that's just me.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited November 2018 Posts: 12,459
    I think Cary will have a hand with the script and the cinematography. I think he will work closely with the cinematographer as he will have definite visuals firmly in his mind (judging by his previous work) so it would need to be someone who would accept being guided by him; probably a lot. I do not see how he could helm the film as director and be the main cinematographer, though (from a logistics view).

I expect him to have a definite say in the script. I'm just unsure how that will evolve. He is a great storyteller, so I find his involvement reassuring.
    A complete list of theatrical feature films David Arnold composed scores for since his last Bond movie:

Agent Crush
    Made in Dagenham
    Morning Glory
    The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
    Paul
    The Inbetweeners 2

Why would the great Fukunaga want to work with someone as second rate as Arnold?

A complete list of theatrical feature films Daniel Craig has starred in since his last Bond movie:

Logan Lucky
    Kings

Why would the great Fukunaga want to work with someone as second rate as Craig?

Apples to oranges.

It has been ten years since Arnold's last Bond film. It's been three for Craig. So...no, doesn't work. I'm surprised those applauding this post didn't realize that glaring difference.

That's because you completely missed the point of my post. What I meant is that Arnold is the right man for a Bond score because he already proved he's capable of great things with the CR and QoS score. You should judge him upon that, not upon the extra-Bond stuff he did.

But then again I'm arguing with someone who thinks a work's quality should be judged upon the oscars it received.

And you failed to read why I mentioned awards and Billboard. Go ahead and adore Arnold. That’s fine; he did some good work. But Newman is perfectly fine without Bond; he’s still going to score some of the best films every year. There is a reason he is one of the most sought after composers in the biz. And there is a reason Arnold is sitting on the sidelines. And those are facts.
    There is a reason Hans Zimmer is one of the most sought after Composers in the biz. There is a reason a lot films these days have shi*** Music.

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Glad I don't live in that universe.

Seconded.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 13,032
    tswlm_nav.jpg
    The Spy Who Loved Me, Ian Fleming, 1962.
    Part One: Me
    Chapter One: Scaredy Cat

I WAS running away. I was running away from England, from my childhood, from the winter, from a sequence of untidy, unattractive love-affairs, from the few sticks of furniture and jumble of overworn clothes that my London life had collected around me; and I was running away from drabness, fustiness, snobbery, the claustrophobia of close horizons, and from my inability, although I am quite an attractive rat, to make headway in the rat-race. In fact I was running away from almost everything except the law.

And I had run a very long way indeed—almost, exaggerating a bit, halfway round the world. In fact I had come all the way from London to The Dreamy Pines Motor Court, which is ten miles west of Lake George, the famous American tourist resort in the Adirondacks—that vast expanse of mountains, lakes, and pine forests which forms most of the northern territory of New York State. I had started on September the first, and it was now Friday the thirteenth of October.
    When I had left, the grimy little row of domesticated maples in my square had been green, or as green as any tree can be in London in August. Now, in the billion-strong army of pine trees that marched away northward toward the Canadian border, the real, wild maples flamed here and there like shrapnel-bursts. And I felt that I, or at any rate my skin, had changed just as much—from the grimy sallowness that had been the badge of my London life to the snap and color and sparkle of living out of doors and going to bed early and all those other dear dull things that had been part of my life in Quebec before it was decided that I must go to England and learn to be a "lady."
    Very unfashionable, of course, this cherry-ripe, strength-through-joy complexion, and I had even stopped using lipstick and nail polish, but to me it had been like sloughing off a borrowed skin and getting back into my own, and I was childishly happy and pleased with myself whenever I looked in the mirror (that's another thing—I'll never say "looking-glass" again; I just don't have to any more) and found myself not wanting to paint a different face over my own. I'm not being smug about this. I was just running away from the person I'd been for the past five years. I wasn't particularly pleased with the person I was now, but I had hated and despised the other one, and I was glad to be rid of her face.
    osen2.png
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York

I literally tweeted the same thing a day or 2 ago, just a different image/gif of Craig.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I don't mind Newman's work in SF it has it's moments but as a whole it's quite underwhelming and while I've never been an advocate of Arnold he really changed my mind with CR and especially QOS.

As for Newman I'm perfectly aware he's sought after and respected but he gave no respect to his job when it came to scoring SP, not that is it's worse crime.

Copy and paste of his SF score, he was more concerned scoring Bridge of Spies. Just hope whoever gets to score Bond 25 realises they are scoring a Bond film.

These well respected composers are all well and good but if they are just there to stamp there style all over and bring nothing of the Bond sound then no thanks.

I don't care what you've scored or what Oscars you have if you don't understand the remit of the assignment or aren't going to respect the legacy of the series, I'd rather see a so called out of work has been like Arnold who knows his job on board.
  • RC7RC7
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I don't mind Newman's work in SF it has it's moments but as a whole it's quite underwhelming and while I've never been an advocate of Arnold he really changed my mind with CR and especially QOS.

As for Newman I'm perfectly aware he's sought after and respected but he gave no respect to his job when it came to scoring SP, not that is it's worse crime.

Copy and paste of his SF score, he was more concerned scoring Bridge of Spies. Just hope whoever gets to score Bond 25 realises they are scoring a Bond film.

These well respected composers are all well and good but if they are just there to stamp there style all over and bring nothing of the Bond sound then no thanks.

I don't care what you've scored or what Oscars you have if you don't understand the remit of the assignment or aren't going to respect the legacy of the series, I'd rather see a so called out of work has been like Arnold who knows his job on board.

Spot on.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    It's a tough one with Arnold. I found pretty much all his scores to be average at best. He usually had one or two inspired tracks in each film, but the rest where much of a nothingness. I think the sudden love people are showing for him is because even he would be infinitely preferable to the bland, boring pap that Newman served up.

Better to let someone new have a go. I would love to hear someone truly be able to ape Barry's sound, but with a fresh twist.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 11,425
    It's not a sudden reappraisal. I agree that his first 3 scores were average (although TND was a huge improvement on GE's score). But people have been talking positively about the CR and QoS scores on here for years. They're both solid scores. Arnold worked YKMN into the CR score which makes it even better.

I have always said that I don't think Arnold is the best composer, and that the series could do better. But give me a CR or QoS level score over Newman's aural anaesthetic any day of the week.

So it's with the awareness that things can be much worse that I say I would be happy with Arnold returning. He may not be the most original or talented composer, but at his best - as he was in CR and QoS, he delivers a very solid Bond score. Much better that than some lazy new age meditation soundtrack (Newman) or totally jarring inappropriate synthesiser score (Serra).
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 3,333
    Getafix wrote: »
    Much better that than some lazy new age meditation soundtrack (Newman) or totally jarring inappropriate synthesiser score (Serra).
    Superbly put. "New age meditation soundtrack" sums up exactly how I feel about Newman's scores.

As you quite rightly said, it's not about Arnold being the best composer and winning tons of awards. It's about hiring someone who'll deliver the right sound and do a competent job. Why take the risk hiring a composer that just doesn't get it and wants to do his own thing? Or even worse, who is totally wrong for the job. I agree that I wasn't particularly impressed with both Arnold's TWINE or DAD scores, but CR was like another composer entirely. A vast improvement that still hasn't been bettered to this day, despite me having a hankering for his QoS work. The Bond sound doesn't need to be reinvented. It's the one thing that distinguishes it from the pack. After all, does MI disregard Lalo Schifrin's musical themes for something new? No, it embraces the old themes to the point where the soundtracks pretty much feel the same as to what went before. The only exception and misstep being the dreadful Hans Zimmer score for MI2.

So back to my original point. I believe hiring Arnold is better than hiring another Newman or some experimental New Age composer. Bond 25 needs to sound like Bond with a capital B.

In saying that, I've just listened to Clint Mansell's score for Sahara which I believe was orchestrated by Nicholas Dodd (Arnold's righthand man) so Mansell could be a good stand-in.
    I feel like I'm in such a minority camp, being an unabashed worshipper of the work David Arnold's brought to Bond and yet also a fan of Tom Newman's work on the Mendes films.

I have a distinct memory of reacting to Skyfall's score—a Newman score, no question—by being surprised just how Arnold-ish it was in spots. Tom really didn't bring any ego to that project, as far as my ear's concerned. He very much identified the sound of Bond (both contemporarily with Arnold, and classically with Barry) and played very respectably in that combined arena with his own contribution.

To be honest, I love the Skyfall score. As such an Arnold/Barry fan, I can't quite believe I think this, but it's one of my top 007 soundtracks.

The driving and classicaly distinctive Bond-ness of "The Bloody Shot."
    The ambient, Fleming-inspired ambiguity of "Enjoying Death."
    The relentlessly building tension of "Jellyfish."
    The playful, classy warmth of "Close Shave."
    The showstopping title song reprisal that opens "Komodo Dragon", a truly great Bond-arrival moment.
    The tension-filled definitively Bond vibe of "Someone Usually Dies."
    The perfection of the emotional rise, fall and relief in "Tennyson/Enquiry".
    The classic Bond theme rendition in "Breadcrumbs".
    The orchestral powerhouse "She's Mine" - as good as any Arnold finale track and embracing everything that an epic 007 score track should be.
    The death and rebirth in "Mother", both an ending and a beginning captured perfectly in the character's realization.
    And then that actual track, "Skyfall" -- more a sound than a song -- but one that so perfectly captures the emotion of the moment, a painful and suspect nostalgia that Bond warily reenters for the purpose of moving himself forward.

SPECTRE just let me down because of the direct lift-repeats. It has some beautiful work too, but pretty clear that either Mendes fell in love with a temp score (and wouldn't let Newman change it) or Newman himself just didn't have the same fire.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    I feel like I'm in such a minority camp, being an unabashed worshipper of the work David Arnold's brought to Bond and yet also a fan of Tom Newman's work on the Mendes films.

I have a distinct memory of reacting to Skyfall's score—a Newman score, no question—by being surprised just how Arnold-ish it was in spots. Tom really didn't bring any ego to that project, as far as my ear's concerned. He very much identified the sound of Bond (both contemporarily with Arnold, and classically with Barry) and played very respectably in that combined arena with his own contribution.

To be honest, I love the Skyfall score. As such an Arnold/Barry fan, I can't quite believe I think this, but it's one of my top 007 soundtracks.

The showstopping title song reprisal that opens "Komodo Dragon", a truly great Bond-arrival moment.
    The orchestral powerhouse "She's Mine" - as good as any Arnold finale track and embracing everything that an epic 007 score track should be.
    The death and rebirth in "Mother", both an ending and a beginning captured perfectly in the character's realization.
    And then that actual track, "Skyfall" -- more a sound than a song -- but one that so perfectly captures the emotion of the moment, a painful and suspect nostalgia that Bond warily reenters for the purpose of moving himself forward.

SPECTRE just let me down because of the direct lift-repeats. It has some beautiful work too, but pretty clear that either Mendes fell in love with a temp score (and wouldn't let Newman change it) or Newman himself just didn't have the same fire.
    I'm in the same camp as you. I'd be fine with a new composer but more than happy with Arnold returning.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    jake24 wrote: »
    AgentM72 wrote: »

I'm in the same camp as you. I'd be fine with a new composer but more than happy with Arnold returning.

I think that's a pretty fair assessment of both Newman's SF score and Arnold. Though I find "The Bloody Shot" owes as much to Zimmer's modern action scoring than it does to anything resembling 'Bond-ness'. The rest is a pretty good summary of the good aspects of the score. Hugely effective in parts though not amongst my favourites.

Without Mendes, though, I feel Newman is definitely done now. I'd be happy with Arnold coming back as I am a fan, but I too would be happy to see someone else have a go in the composer's chair.
    I think it's entirely possible for Arnold to return cause he was booted from the last two films cause of mendes working relationship with newman but perhaps fukunaga wants to bring in his own composer all I know is newman just cannot return for B25.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited November 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Newman should stay the hell away from Bond at any costs. Otherwise, we'll be getting a Skyfall 1.2 for a soundtrack. And that's just humiliating.
    Arnold stated there was still no news from the film front; i read it as he hadn’t received any offers yet. Is it normal, at this stage, for a composer to not know he’ll be attached to a production? Or is it still soon for that?
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 820

I think that's a pretty fair assessment of both Newman's SF score and Arnold. Though I find "The Bloody Shot" owes as much to Zimmer's modern action scoring than it does to anything resembling 'Bond-ness'. The rest is a pretty good summary of the good aspects of the score. Hugely effective in parts though not amongst my favourites.

Without Mendes, though, I feel Newman is definitely done now. I'd be happy with Arnold coming back as I am a fan, but I too would be happy to see someone else have a go in the composer's chair.

Agree, there's a Zimmer influence there. Being a fan of Hans, I was happy with that too. ;)

It's that particular section from about 1:40-2:20 (basically the "digger jump") that I just absolutely love so much. And where it repeats again later in "Deep Water." That's just Bond score perfection, to me. The way the brass takes over, the bold rhythm it drives -- sounds like something ripped right out of Goldfinger.

Not dissimilarly to how "Old Dog, New Tricks" (should have mentioned it above) feels like it could have been a Thunderball OST track, verbatim. I've never understood the criticism of Newman's work being too "ambient" for Bond, considering Barry himself was capable of some of the greatest ambience in the genre.

I can't wait to find out, stylistically, what we're in for with Bond 25. I'm confident it won't be Tom Newman. I'm hopeful it will be David Arnold. I just want someone who loves Bond, Bond music, and has enough fire to bring something interesting and new to a difficult job which also includes past reverence as part of its description.

To me, that's not a bad thing. It's the fun of the challenge.