No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

bondjames wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    Who knows, when announced, the director may be a name out of left field, one that isn’t on the radar. How many people here were tossing around the name of Daniel Craig prior to his being announced as Bond?
    Craig was definitely on the list as I recall. I didn't think he would get it, but I distinctly remember his name being bandied about.

You could be right, but I think it's going to be a name we've heard about, even if it may not be one of the two recent ones. Mackenzie for example is still a possibility. Of course I have nothing to base that on except a hunch.

I still think David Mackenzie would be ideal, of all the names mentioned..Starred Up and Hell or High Water were excellent thrillers...good storyteller, good with actors..good with action, and stylish movies too! Sounds right for Bond!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Who knows, when announced, the director may be a name out of left field, one that isn’t on the radar. How many people here were tossing around the name of Daniel Craig prior to his being announced as Bond?
    Craig was definitely on the list as I recall. I didn't think he would get it, but I distinctly remember his name being bandied about.

You could be right, but I think it's going to be a name we've heard about, even if it may not be one of the two recent ones. Mackenzie for example is still a possibility. Of course I have nothing to base that on except a hunch.

I still think David Mackenzie would be ideal, of all the names mentioned..Starred Up and Hell or High Water were excellent thrillers...good storyteller, good with actors..good with action, and stylish movies too! Sounds right for Bond!
    I really enjoyed Hell or High Water and have heard great things about Starred Up, so I'll be ok with him, even if it means a delay (he's recently commented on needing a rest, which sounds familier ;))).
    boldfinger wrote: »

So your inside source for your assumptions is whom?

Approximately 0%? Based on what hard, factual information?
    All of this is your opinion based on no actual, variified information.

All Uninformed speculation, assumption, and guesses.

And sure, you could be right.m, but nearly 0%, that’s ludicrous.
    @Pierce2Daniel is 100% correct, after EON has hired the director of BOND 25 we will know within 24 hours that the director has been hired, whether EON want us to know or not. This is not speculation, assumtion or a guess. This is common sense.
    Dude, you crack me up :-)) :-)) :-))

You are not adding anything to the discussion.

Well, dismissing a (rumoured) shortlisted director for wearing the wrong glasses isn't adding anything to the discussion, either.
  • The fun part of speculating is also the downside of speculating. We can't know for sure what's happening right now, no matter how strongly we want to proclaim it. I think if we all try and remember that, the discussion will be healthier for it.

RE: the delay discussion. That decision will be an equation that's far from a simple.

Just a few of the many complex inputs that spring to mind:

-There are massive commercial ramifications to a delay. For Universal, MGM, EON, and all their partners. It is in all parties' vested interested to try as hard as humanly possible to hit the Nov '19 date. It seems like a safe assumption to say that's what's happening now.

-There's a noteworthy difference between a shooting delay and a release delay, as many have touched on. Delaying principal photography until January to solve creative problems would, as @peter pointed out, really only cost them about 2 production weeks, given the holiday break. No doubt a trickier and tighter schedule, but hardly impossible when it comes to still hitting a November release. That's the decision that needs to be made first. A release delay would be the decision made second, and indicative of larger-scale change in the creative approach that necessitates more reinvention and time.

-The decision on either delay won't be made until the last possible moment it needs to be made. They aren't there yet.

-As far as I know, we have absolutely no verified idea where Bond 25 stands creatively. We don't know what it's about, how baked that concept is, how significant any necessary revisions are, or how much their pre-production efforts to date would be impacted by the expected revisions. The impact could be small. It could be huge. We can't know the answer to this, and until years from now when they update Some Kind of Hero again, we won't.

-The director domino will change this entire discussion, instantly. Will they execute current version? Are they comfortable using much of the work done to date? Will they demand more changes to fit their own vision, forcing EON to (possibly) delay for more time as a tradeoff for signing the name they want? The answers to those questions will be what determines the delay outcome, and I suspect we'll be able to intuit at least parts of them based on the shape the announcement takes.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

So your inside source for your assumptions is whom?

Approximately 0%? Based on what hard, factual information?
    All of this is your opinion based on no actual, variified information.

All Uninformed speculation, assumption, and guesses.

And sure, you could be right.m, but nearly 0%, that’s ludicrous.
    @Pierce2Daniel is 100% correct, after EON has hired the director of BOND 25 we will know within 24 hours that the director has been hired, whether EON want us to know or not. This is not speculation, assumtion or a guess. This is common sense.

I strongly disagree; now you are making an assumption and speculating . EON, and the person hired, may have it’s own reasons to not letting it be known immediately and if they want it so, would keep it among a very small number of people; it’s only common sense. To think we would know whether they wanted us to know or not is fan-boy arrogance.

Yeah when Craig was announced to return, didn’t he say he had already accepted the role 3 months before
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    The fun part of speculating is also the downside of speculating. We can't know for sure what's happening right now, no matter how strongly we want to proclaim it. I think if we all try and remember that, the discussion will be healthier for it.

RE: the delay discussion. That decision will be an equation that's far from a simple.

-There are massive commercial ramifications to a delay. For Universal, MGM, EON, and all their partners. It is in all parties' vested interested to try as hard as humanly possible to hit the Nov '19 date. It seems like a safe assumption to say that's what's happening now.

-There's a noteworthy difference between a shooting delay and a release delay, as many have touched on. Delaying principal photography until January to solve creative problems would, as @peter pointed out, really only cost them about 2 production weeks, given the holiday break. No doubt a trickier and tighter schedule, but hardly impossible when it comes to still hitting a November release. That's the decision that needs to be made first. A release delay would be the decision made second, and indicative of larger-scale change in the creative approach that necessitates more reinvention and time.

-The decision on either delay won't be made until the last possible moment it needs to be made. They aren't there yet.

-As far as I know, we have absolutely no verified idea where Bond 25 stands creatively. We don't know what it's about, how baked that concept is, how significant any necessary revisions are, or how much their pre-production efforts to date would be impacted by the expected revisions. The impact could be small. It could be huge. We can't know the answer to this, and until years from now when they update Some Kind of Hero again, we won't.

-The director domino will change this entire discussion, instantly. Will they execute current version? Are they comfortable using much of the work done to date? Will they demand more changes to fit their own vision, forcing EON to (possibly) delay for more time as a tradeoff for signing the name they want? The answers to those questions will be what determines the delay outcome, and I suspect we'll be able to intuit at least parts of them based on the shape the announcement takes.

What a great post.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The fun part of speculating is also the downside of speculating. We can't know for sure what's happening right now, no matter how strongly we want to proclaim it. I think if we all try and remember that, the discussion will be healthier for it.

Please post more often!

• Please post more often!

If I did, I wouldn't have to write such long ones. ;)

• peterpeter Toronto
    Yes, please post more @AgentM72 ...! That was a great post!!
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

peter wrote: »
    Yes, please post more @AgentM72 ...! That was a great post!!

+1
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Benny wrote: »
    I fear some of us are banging our heads against the wall @CatchingBullets

The thing about common sense is that it's extremely rare, @Benny

Yes. Very strange to call it "common".
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    The thing is it's much more fun to decry others takes on things or even members who are in the know because it doesn't compute with your own little world you've wrapped yourselves up in.

Why trust someone with actual value and real knowledge when you can scour the internet for every bit of knowledge impress members with your so called knowledge and subtlety or blatantly undermine those who actually bring value to the thread.

It should be rare sense shouldn't it?
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 11,425
    Something that just came to mind re: Layton and Clarkson in comparison to Boyle: We knew that Boyle was an aficionado of Fleming and that he had grown up with and read the books. From Layton's comments, he is more of a fan of the films and given his age, the 70's films in particular. Do we even know if he has read Fleming? Same goes for Clarkson.

This could suggest a shift in approach, but then again it might not and I'm not sure how relevant it is.

They sound like the poor man's Sam Mendes.

Piss up and brewery come to mind right now in relation to EON and B25.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited September 2018 Posts: 5,921
    Getafix wrote: »
    Something that just came to mind re: Layton and Clarkson in comparison to Boyle: We knew that Boyle was an aficionado of Fleming and that he had grown up with and read the books. From Layton's comments, he is more of a fan of the films and given his age, the 70's films in particular. Do we even know if he has read Fleming? Same goes for Clarkson.

This could suggest a shift in approach, but then again it might not and I'm not sure how relevant it is.

They sound like the poor man's Sam Mendes.

Piss up and brewery come to mind right now in relation to EON and B25.

Some actors--Nicole Kidman comes to mind--like to champion up-and-coming directors. (Kidman takes a lot of risks in her performances, especially post-Cruise, and they largely pay off.).

Maybe Craig is like that, and maybe Babs is too. Maybe a relative feature newbie (although Clarkson has a lot of acclaimed TV under her belt) can bring something fresh and exciting to a franchise that needs invigorating. As for Layton, American Animals has a playful energy to it that is, dare I say it, not unlike Boyle. You never know what will happen.

I remain optimistic about B25.
    The decision on either delay won't be made until the last possible moment it needs to be made. They aren't there yet.
    You are wrong about that. They have already made a decision to delay filming. Filming will NOT start on December 3.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    The decision on either delay won't be made until the last possible moment it needs to be made. They aren't there yet.
    You are wrong about that. They have already made a decision to delay filming. Filming will NOT start on December 3.

Your sources?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

Your sources?

A well known and insightful source.
    Magic-8-Ball-101.jpg
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Egyptian star Mohamed Karim would love to play Bond baddie
    hollywood.com/general/egyptian-star-mohamed-karim-would-love-to-play-bond-baddie-60732641/

Egyptian actor Mohamed Karim has dismissed reports suggesting he’s in talks to play the next Bond villain, but he’d jump at the chance to tussle with 007.

The dashing and charismatic star, who has put his career as a doctor on hold to make it big in Hollywood, is urging Bond bosses to consider him as a baddie.

“I’m a big fan of James Bond movies,” he tells WENN. “I’ve always loved big franchise movies that have an international appeal. I’d definitely be interested. The Bond films are such great movies, throughout the generations, and everybody loves James Bond…

“I love to be attached to these big budget movies; they just give you a lot of really good exposure. It’s what I’m looking for here in Hollywood.”

“I think a lot of people would love to see a Bond movie set in Egypt,” he adds. “Look at the history – all over the world people read about the Pyramids and read about the history of Egypt and the Pharaohs.

And the actor would love to work with Craig in what will be his last outing as 007: “I’m a big fan of his work. He’s really focused and really knows what he’s doing. I really love the little details in his acting – the body language and the way he talks. I think he’s really professional.”

"has dismissed reports" and is "urging Bond bosses to consider him" just a tad contradictory there.

Though have to agree with him, would be nice to see Bond return to Egypt.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,619
    @DonnyDB5 and @Murdock Are you seriously claiming there is a chance filming will still start at the beginning of December? You can't possibly be serious! Have you not been paying attention? The best possible scenario has been a January start for weeks.
    I didn't claim anything. I made a joke. That's sort of my thing.
    Murdock wrote: »
    For your information: your joke doesn't work if you accept it's impossible filming will start at the beginning of December.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    This thread is a joke most of the time.
    For your information: your joke doesn't work if you accept it's impossible filming will start at the beginning of December.

Sorry I'm not as great as a comedian as you.

It is possible to start filming in December
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Risico007 wrote: »

Possible, but unfortunately I don't see it happening. When is Craig shooting his new movie?
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Remington wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »

Possible, but unfortunately I don't see it happening. When is Craig shooting his new movie?

If things are pretty much set in stone by late November/early December, there's no reason a third unit can't be out shooting establishing shots, etc.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 820

November.

If I had to make a personal wager here and now (reminder: I don't know, it's unlikely anyone here truly knows, and any claims to the contrary are guesses), I'd actually agree that a December 3 production start isn't the likeliest scenario.

Rian (Johnson) made specific reference to their surprise that Craig "might have a small window" in his Knives Out statement, which is the biggest clue we have that there may indeed be a plan to delay the start of shooting.

But frankly, none of that matters until we know A) if it's true, and B) how long a shooting delay would be. A shooting delay from December to early January would mean they're keeping the earmarked release date, if anything.

...which is really what matters, isn't it? If the film's release date isn't changing, a change in the specific date production starts is sort of...irrelevant to us.

• peterpeter Toronto

November.

If I had to make a personal wager here and now (reminder: I don't know, it's unlikely anyone here truly knows, and any claims to the contrary are guesses), I'd actually agree that a December 3 production start isn't the likeliest scenario.

Rian (Johnson) made specific reference to their surprise that Craig "might have a small window" in his Knives Out statement, which is the biggest clue we have that there may indeed be a plan to delay the start of shooting.

But frankly, none of that matters until we know A) if it's true, and B) how long a shooting delay would be. A shooting delay from December to early January would mean they're keeping the earmarked release date, if anything.

...which is really what matters, isn't it? If the film's release date isn't changing, a change in the specific date production starts is sort of...irrelevant to us.

Bingo
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Sorry I'm not as great as a comedian as you.

Don't worry, I laughed. Glad the crystal ball thing is catching on.

Though in this instance I don't think Craig will be setting foot on a Bond set til January. 2nd Unit stuff could feasibly be started in December, though. Both Quantum and Skyfall had 2nd Unit footage in the can well before any actors recorded anything.

But it depends on what stage the script is at, which is the big thing at the moment really. I believe they have a director in place. So we'll see how it goes.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 2,115
    // I believe they have a director in place. So we'll see how it goes.//

I guess I don't think they have a director in place. My reasoning? I think they'd want to get the news out quickly. I certainly don't think they had one all lined up and ready to go at the time of the announcement that Danny Boyle had departed. (A fan theory.)

However, to be clear, I don't know and don't claim to know. Just wanted to make that point before the inevitable "tsk-tsk" post.