No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Damn. Namibia is gorgeous.
  • I think the London based thing was just Cashley bs. Weren't they also scouting in Dubrovnik?
    Damn. I go to work for 8 hours and we get two new names in the fold. Very interesting. At this point I'll probably just be thrilled when a director gets signed and announced.

But please, don't eff up the gun-barrel for Craig's last outing!!!!!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Interesting about possible directors. I'll have to think this over, as I am not familiar with any of them.

@peter, thanks for the info, especially re Hodge's script. That makes me happy.
    @ToTheRight Yes! Get the new director soon, and make the gunbarrel perfect again!!!
    From Sam Mendes and Danny Boyle to Bart Layton and S.J. Clarkson. Uh-oh...
    peter wrote: »
    For all those that PM'd me heard the same thing a week ago and one night ago, and today: B25 will not lose their release date, and B25 will be the Hodge's script (just polished by one or a couple of writers)...
    The only promising thing right now is that it seems they will keep the script by Hodge. Why should I care about them not moving the release date if the movie will end up being directed by Bart Layton or S.J. Clarkson?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I hope when they mean adding more action they mean more well choreograhed visceral fist fights.
  • doubleoego wrote: »
    I hope when they mean adding more action they mean more well choreograhed visceral fist fights.
    And thrilling, edge of your seat car chases...
    Anything can happen in the film industry, of course, but, @ColonelSun and I have been consistent in what the Colonel has reported: what went down with Boyle and EoN (AND Universal):

Great concept; no action.
    Without telling us what it is, do you know what the concept is? If so, do you like it?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    From Sam Mendes and Danny Boyle to Bart Layton and S.J. Clarkson. Uh-oh...
    For all those that PM'd me heard the same thing a week ago and one night ago, and today: B25 will not lose their release date, and B25 will be the Hodge's script (just polished by one or a couple of writers)...
    The only promising thing right now is that it seems they will keep the script by Hodge. Why should I care about them not moving the release date if the movie will end up being directed by Bart Layton or S.J. Clarkson?

Is sounds like they are just getting any director who is available. Very bad news.
    I'll do it!

gissajob.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    7kI8T5M.jpg

Yosser would have made a great Bond Henchman
    Bernard hill could still do the business
  • Re: The Variety story.

The Variety scribe, after the story was published, tweeted out some significant information that should have been included in the story.

McQ would definitely solve their “we need more action” problem, but it’s a matter of whether he wants to do it, and the schedule. I doubt Cruise nor Paramount wants to wait too long before getting M:I 7 out.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 11,425
    Why would McQ do it apart from the money I suppose? he gets to write and direct the MI films. and didn't he say he wants to do something smaller right now? he'd want his own fresh slate if he was going to do Bond

they will need a director who doesn't mind sloppy seconds and enjoys being ruffed up and told what to do by Babs.
  • It may not be as big as it once was, but being able to make a Bond film still has some prestige. There’s also the fact that Eon is now somewhat under the gun to get a director, which gives potential candidates a bit more leverage.
    what's odd is that bond is arguably bigger than any time since the 60s and with more credibility than ever before. they really shouldn't be scrabbling around for TV directors at the last minute.

but that's what happens if you have an idiotic and outdated policy of not using American directors. pathetic.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    doubleoego wrote: »
    And thrilling, edge of your seat car chases...

That too!
    Action for actions sake is what Bond shouldn’t be about. This approach has been a hallmark of the series for some time with shoe horned in action that doesn’t flow from the plot or at least isn’t very well integrated with it.

Sounds to me like Boyle had the right idea. Also a well staged ‘smaller’ fight, chase or confrontation is better than a pointless set piece action extravaganza
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    David Fincher is available. Just thought I'd throw that out there. LOL
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    TripAces wrote: »

Do you think he would want any part in this shambles?
  • TripAces wrote: »

Do you think he would want any part in this shambles?

He's directing World War Z 2. I wouldn't put anything past him.
    there seems to be very little about WWZ 2 online. Is it actually being made?
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    To me, the Craig films lost some of that "Bond feel" I felt with the previous films - be it Connery's films, Moore's films, Dalton's films, Brosnan's films, and Lazenby's OHMSS. Can't put the finger on why, and this is why I find it difficult to rank them particularly high.

They're too moody for my liking.

Edit: And to illustrate it; we've gone from this:
    bond-home.jpg cb677fb329c1cf144a33cc5441d6aff8.png

…to this:
    James-Bonds-Apartment-Film-Set.jpg?resize=640%2C269&ssl=1

It suits this Bond, but where's the freaking escapism gone?

Good point. Many of the traditional elements that make up a Bond film are sacrificed in the Craig era to appeal to newer audiences accustomed to Bourne, Marvel, or whatever.
    None of the Craig films had a traditional Bond ending. Not even SPECTRE. They might as well have removed the classic PTS while they're at it and titles.
    I wouldn´t even mind that if they went all the way and established something out of it.

And I had to chuckle at the pic of Moore´s kitchen, with M going, "Is that all it does?" :-))

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited September 2018 Posts: 2,541
    Speaking of traditional scenes they could at least get DC wear that royal navy uniform.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 11,425
    really not necessary.

plus in Craig Bond universe he seems to have become ex-SAS rather than ex Navy.

they could have at least made him SBS.
    Anything can happen in the film industry, of course, but, @ColonelSun and I have been consistent in what the Colonel has reported: what went down with Boyle and EoN (AND Universal):

Great concept; no action.

Eon and Universal want some writers on board to "punch up" the action (as anyone from this storied franchise would). Boyle probably wasn't happy about this.

B25, when it comes out, will be the Hodge script, but punched up with "polishers".

There was, perhaps, a blowout about characterization (but nothing about killing 007, literally), between DC and DB...

(there are a couple new names I've never heard of entered into today's Variety).

There were definite claims from the Hollywood Reporter-- and other legit outlets-- that there was a delay, B25 missed release dates... Anyone who PM'd me from the start heard that that was not the case (from over two weeks ago!). And it takes a Variety article (over 2 weeks later) to verify-- guess @ColonelSun knows what he speaks of... maybe??? Or, that's right, what he says is not new and unsubstantiated).

Could a delay happen? Of course. Anything can. But the producers at EoN and Universal are too busy meeting potential replacements for Boyle.

Delaying the release dates has not yet entered the picture...
    Thanks, @peter, sounds great!

• edited September 2018 Posts: 1,661
    That new Variety item reports a lot without actually reporting anything of substance. :P Oh well, guess that's the internet for ya! However, Babs has released a new statement below to clarify things:

i-have-no-idea-what-Im-doing-meme-8.jpg

• ThunderballsThunderballs Brighton, UK
    It’s always good to hear of progress in selecting a director, but I do worry about choosing one without much film experience.

I’m also concerned about the reports of “punching up” the action in Hodge’s script. I’m concerned we’d get another TWINE, where we have essentially a good story, but it’s executed poorly, with action scenes that are largely irrelevant to the plot and seem “nailed on” just to meet the action quota.
  • Bart Layton and Yann Demange seem to be the real deal. They are both British directors about to join the A-list.

Layton has directed two original movies that have blended narrative and documentary together. He signed with a major talent agency in the summer, so he's clearly interested in Hollywood movies. He won a BAFTA for most promising newcomer (an award Demange has also been nominated for). He seemingly has real talent and is on the cusp of joining the A-list. He has two acclaimed films under his belt. His next movie, 'American Animals' is released in the UK this week and is getting five-star reviews from major publications such as The Guardian.

Meanwhile, Demange seemingly has the edge as he's been on Eon's radar for longer. However, the reviews out of Telluride for 'White Boy Rick' were more tepid than expected and he may coasting off the residual love for his debut '71'. Though that later film is fantastic. White Boy Rick is on 63% on Rotten Tomatoes compared to American Animals's 87%.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/white_boy_rick/

Personally, I think it's been Demange and Layton. I think I'm fine with either, I just think it's important they make a decision today and someone is working on this thing ASAP.