No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    echo wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    I don't get a one-note tortured Bond from Craig, IMHO. We have an arrogant rookie in the first film who gets dealt some useful blows and learns something about himself-- and the game he's in, which is humbling, and devastating in equal measures.

QoS sees a man on a mission, with one scene, ONE, where he shows how f***ed-up he is.

SF, he's betrayed by his mentor (he heard her order), and he has to overcome that to see she made the right choice...

SP-- I don't get where, in this film, he's tortured-- other than physically (where he recovers in no-time, unfortunately). But he's a man married to his job at the beginning, who seemingly leaves it at the end...

Craig delivered four, unique perspectives from the one man he was playing. I'd say he was quite varied.

Agreed on these points. Also, QoS is misunderstood by some as a revenge film. The key to the entire Bond character in that film is the very last line. (And it's one of the best lines in the franchise.)

It's great.
    SF was pompous crap (no other was this pseudo maudlin).
    SP was fun nonsense (like YOLT. Not a bad thing imo).

It's like life- we start out with grand intentions and leave with simple comfort.

• peterpeter Toronto
    peter wrote: »
    I don't get a one-note tortured Bond from Craig, IMHO. We have an arrogant rookie in the first film who gets dealt some useful blows and learns something about himself-- and the game he's in, which is humbling, and devastating in equal measures.

QoS sees a man on a mission, with one scene, ONE, where he shows how f***ed-up he is.

SF, he's betrayed by his mentor (he heard her order), and he has to overcome that to see she made the right choice...

SP-- I don't get where, in this film, he's tortured-- other than physically (where he recovers in no-time, unfortunately). But he's a man married to his job at the beginning, who seemingly leaves it at the end...

Craig delivered four, unique perspectives from the one man he was playing. I'd say he was quite varied.

Agreed on these points. Also, QoS is misunderstood by some as a revenge film. The key to the entire Bond character in that film is the very last line. (And it's one of the best lines in the franchise.)

yep!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    bondjames wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I’ll never understand all the Craig hate. His run hasn’t been perfect, but he’s brought so much to the table as James Bond. Personally, I think his first 3 Bond films are awesome, with SP being the only real disappointment. I’m going to remain cautiously optimistic that his last one can be another great one.
    That's a fair opinion, delivered maturely and without taking veiled jabs at those who may disagree with you.

I like CR and SF. I don't mind QoS, but I don't like as much as other members here. Craig gives an excellent performance in it, which fits the tone of the film. I still think his best performance by far was in CR, which was made for him. Sadly, it was too good a film to start a tenure on and he's been chasing it ever since.

In terms of swansongs, I've commented previously that I think SP would be a good note to go out on, despite my dislike for that film - especially given how it ties it all together. Sure, it was done hamfistedly, but I think technically it's a far better film than DAF or AVTAK.

If Babs is the one responsible for the bad of the Craig era, she's also responsible for the good. In choosing Craig, and in getting the rights to and making CR, she and MGW were able to attract some of the best talent in front of and behind the camera in the entire series.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    talos7 wrote: »
    Anyone care to guess when we’ll hear who the director will be? I think sooner than later, possibly this week.

It has to be either this week or next otherwise I will very worried
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I’ll never understand all the Craig hate. His run hasn’t been perfect, but he’s brought so much to the table as James Bond. Personally, I think his first 3 Bond films are awesome, with SP being the only real disappointment. I’m going to remain cautiously optimistic that his last one can be another great one.
    That's a fair opinion, delivered maturely and without taking veiled jabs at those who may disagree with you.

I like CR and SF. I don't mind QoS, but I don't like as much as other members here. Craig gives an excellent performance in it, which fits the tone of the film. I still think his best performance by far was in CR, which was made for him. Sadly, it was too good a film to start a tenure on and he's been chasing it ever since.

In terms of swansongs, I've commented previously that I think SP would be a good note to go out on, despite my dislike for that film - especially given how it ties it all together. Sure, it was done hamfistedly, but I think technically it's a far better film than DAF or AVTAK.

If Babs is the one responsible for the bad of the Craig era, she's also responsible for the good. In choosing Craig, and in getting the rights to and making CR, she and MGW were able to attract some of the best talent in front of and behind the camera in the entire series.
    That's certainly true, but it is CR that remains the high water mark of this tenure. That film was delivered by a journeyman, and without any big name talent in front or behind the camera in other areas either (except competent and charismatic, but relatively unknown European actors). They would be well placed to remember that.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Perhaps I missed something, but I haven't seen any pro-Craig people take a veiled jab at anyone who disagrees with them. In fact these posters seem to be the more apologetic of their opinions-- that they can see the faults in his tenure, BUT, they like him and his portrayal.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I’m bringing my Daughter to school in London on September 8 , if they don’t have it sorted out by then I might have to go in and handle it myself. :D
    There have been several comments here over the past few days criticizing members by name and also commenting in general about attitudes on this forum, as if there is some sort of hysteria or cancer here. That's not how I see it. There are just members stating their preferences either way, which is their right.

By all means express 'your' opinion, but it's not necessary to criticize those who you disagree with. It adds nothing to the conversation.
    There have been several comments here over the past few days criticizing members by name and also commenting in general about attitudes on this forum, as if there is some sort of hysteria or cancer here. That's not how I see it. There are just members stating their preferences either way, which is their right.

By all means express 'your' opinion, but it's not necessary to criticize those who you disagree with. It adds nothing to the conversation.

Well said. The anonymity of internet sometimes blunts civility.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited August 2018 Posts: 5,949

That's certainly true, but it is CR that remains the high water mark of this tenure. That film was delivered by a journeyman, and without any big name talent in front or behind the camera in other areas either (except competent and charismatic, but relatively unknown European actors). They would be well placed to remember that.

Best talent doesn't necessarily mean best known.

Best talent doesn't necessarily mean best known.
    I agree. I'd be open to unknowns in front or behind the camera for the next outing and have even come round to Demange. Lower (or even no) expectations can result in a better received product sometimes.
    I have a feeling this week or next week we will have our new director.
    I have a feeling this week or next week we will have our new director.
    +1

• DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Hope you guys are right. I for one don’t see any immediate announcements for a while.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Basically we either get announcements in the very near future, or B25 is definitely delayed.
    The worst part is that people are always saying that Daniel Craig is the best actor for the bunch and yet his Bond has the least range of any! He is basically tortured the whole time, and rarely gets to be how you think of as James Bond. If he ends up dying in Bond 25, we would have gone through his entire career from rookie to deceased, with only a few scenes of actually the character we know. That's the sad part, and what is annoying is how they kept teasing us, like the end of CR, saying here is the Bond we all know and love. And need the next movie starts, and he is back tortured again. Thats fine for one movie, as a one off, but not a whole tenure that covers Bond's entire career! He needs to be Bond at some point, not on his way to getting there, not over the hill, not trapped in the past, or mourning... Just Bond!

Forward that to EON!
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 3,333
    I'd certainly go with Gareth Owen's idea that now is he the time for a female director. I'd go for Kathryn Bigelow.........great track record. I'm also hearing good things about Coralie Fargeat, though I haven't seen any of her work, I've got 'Revenge' on pre-order on dvd, out on 1/10 in UK
    Thing is @PeterGreenhill, they’ve already asked Bigelow to direct a Bond movie before and she declined. In her own words, the director says: “I’m just more drawn to a journalistic aspect of film. That opens up very specific avenues as opposed to more comforting avenues. It’s a responsibility I’m excited to pursue, whereas something that has less content is less compelling to me.”

This was of course when Sony Pictures chief Amy Pascal was still involved before stepping down. Not that I believe Bigelow’s ethics and stance has changed any since Sony’s first approach was made. I just don’t see it happening.
    I don't even remotely believe the killing Bond off Boyle rumor.

I think most of the rumors, mostly speculation can all be found on this thread. I really do think the writers of these articles must have been browsing this thread the past several pages for their stories.

Wasn't it established on this site that Eon selling, for example, was pure fan speculation? We also commented months ago on this thread the possibility of Craig's Bond dying in B25.

Let's have a little fun with the tabloids, shall we?

If we were to start discussing the possibility that Boyle's great idea was to , say change Bond's occupation from an MI6 agent to an American country singer, and Tom Hiddleston, based on his Hank Williams performance is now in talks to take over from Craig, how long before it makes the internet headlines?

I believe we're living in an era where gullibility now dominates.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

Again with this "Craig hate". I don't actually think anyone hates Craig, he was very good in CR, I just don't see him as this "special" Bond which none of the others live up to. To me he's just another like the rest. According to some, that's having an agenda. I admit Craig is not my cup of tea, but I would have no problems if he just got through his run of films in a timely manner, left his mark, and then gave way to the next guy. What I don't agree with, however is the idea that Craig is "special" and the best Bond actor since Connery. I see no evidence of this, personally, but that doesn't mean I hate the guy either. I just respect the other actors and appreciate what they brought to role, so Craig to me isn't "raising the bar". I object to the idea that Craig outshines the guys who came before him, and point out his flaws and what doesn't work for me, in order to ward off that kind of talk. There was two respects in which I have a real greivance with now though, the first is how much creative input they have handed to their lead actor. That is simply a bad move, no matter who is playing Bond. The second is how long they have taken on this era, and how they are taking so much time to close it out. Before Craig, they would release a Bond film, and after that either the actor would quit, or the producers would relieve them, there was be a brief period of mourning, and then we would move on. This time, it feels like they want this climatic finality, because they know it will be Craig's last, and they are spending to much time on getting a proper sendoff for this particular Bond. This is aggravating, because once again it treats Craig's Bond like is "special" compared with the others. Brosnan had to accept that DAD was his Waterloo, whether he wanted it or not, Bond was bigger than him and there was nothing he could do about it. It feels like we spending forever catering to Craig, when the role is way bigger than him, so why are we spending so much time trying to get this right? I just see it as treating Craig as precious, as if the role doesn't mean much without him, and the other guys didn't do enough to match him.
    Bring back Dalton for a one off Logan style Bond. Sorted.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 6,677
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    Would love that! Never gonna happen.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    bondsum wrote: »
    I'd certainly go with Gareth Owen's idea that now is he the time for a female director. I'd go for Kathryn Bigelow.........great track record. I'm also hearing good things about Coralie Fargeat, though I haven't seen any of her work, I've got 'Revenge' on pre-order on dvd, out on 1/10 in UK
    Thing is @PeterGreenhill, they’ve already asked Bigelow to direct a Bond movie before and she declined. In her own words, the director says: “I’m just more drawn to a journalistic aspect of film. That opens up very specific avenues as opposed to more comforting avenues. It’s a responsibility I’m excited to pursue, whereas something that has less content is less compelling to me.”

This was of course when Sony Pictures chief Amy Pascal was still involved before stepping down. Not that I believe Bigelow’s ethics and stance has changed any since Sony’s first approach was made. I just don’t see it happening.

What has changed since then is that Bigelow isn't the hot take property she was back in 2013/14, where she was still riding the Oscar buzz.

Detroit was a good enough film, but it was a box-office disappointment - and unlike post Hurt Locker / Zero Dark Thirty, there is no buzz as to what she's going to do next. A box-office success is exactly what she needs to get back to the top of the game again. And she has the skills for genre filmmaking - it's where she cut her teeth.

I'm not saying it's any more likely, I've no idea whether she's even on Eon's mind at the moment. I'm just saying that things change.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier

Pretty please this. I'd cut off my left pinky for this!
    And I want to see Bond smoke again on screen. Even though I'm a non smoker!
    And I want to see Bond smoke again on screen. Even though I'm a non smoker!

album_1448655394.jpg
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 6,677
    daniel-craig-smoking-a-cigar-glamour-boys-inc-6.jpg

Why can Logan (Wolverine) smoke his cigar and Bond can't? Talk about castrating a character ;)
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 5,767
    I don´t care about Bond smoking or not, as long as I don´t have the time to think about it. Daniel Craig is a fantastic actor also in his last two Bond films, but the films as such don´t propel the viewer onward and instead give lots of room for thinking about smoking and all kinds of other stuff.

I hope Eon hire a young hotshot who´s still hungry enough to take on all that s**t that comes with taking over a huge project at such short notice and who doesn´t have time to think the film to death.
  • I know Kathryn Bigelow turned down a Bond offer previously but attitudes change and I strongly feel she is right for Bond25. Also, being first female Bond director would give the film even more buzz. I'm a huge admirer of her 1995 film, 'Strange Days' which is seriously underrated. We need Bigelow.
    I know Kathryn Bigelow turned down a Bond offer previously but attitudes change and I strongly feel she is right for Bond25. Also, being first female Bond director would give the film even more buzz. I'm a huge admirer of her 1995 film, 'Strange Days' which is seriously underrated. We need Bigelow.

It's always a wise thing to speak for yourself, I certainly do not need Bigelow, even though she's a competent director. But there are tons out there, mostly men. Personally I don't care if it's a man or a woman, as long as you have the quality.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited August 2018 Posts: 15,423
    The first mistake anyone would make is turning this into identity politics. “We need a female director”, “we need American director, we need whatever director.” How about hiring the best person for the job?

If Katherine Bigelow, a great director herself, has a pitch that is compatible with the vision that’s applicable to Bond, then go for it. Hire her. If Susanne Bier has one, why not? Hell, even if an up and coming new director has a stellar idea and stable vision, hire him or her.

But, don’t turn this into identity politics.