No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Let's hope David Arnold comes back along with Jeffrey Wright and Dennis Gassner!

Last I heard, Dennis Gassner was not on board after Danny Boyle was announced as director.

It seems like the speculated directors including Chris Macquirrie, and the Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve) are both people who have paid tribute to QoS in their notable films. Blade Runner 2049 even used a key crew member from QoS, let alone the opera scene from Rogue Nation by Macquirrie.

Also, this could be a chance for Marc Forster to return without a writer's strike in his way. Given that he's had experience working with Craig before, having been offered to return ten years ago, with some time passing, I think it's a sure bet that his prior ability to work out a script with Daniel Craig is proof that they can work together.

To be blunt, the villain who Danny Boyle insisted on casting looked too much like the one from Die Another Day and that would be a dishonor to Craig's brand which was brought into the series to make up for that film. The writer, Mr. Purvis apologized to me in person when he was promoting the anniversary of James Bond a year after QoS was released.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    peter wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    It's all down to Craig now to prove all the naysayers wrong like he did originally back 2006.

People are writing him off in the droves it seems (or as we are led to be believed).

If this makes it's original release and doesn't get delayed, I hope DC uses all the negativity this is causing and channels it into giving his best performance and helping to craft a film for the ages.

I truly believe he wanted to go out in style and I don't think he'll be part of another lacklustre film if that can be helped

All this talk of DC being a nobody in Hollywood is utter BS, yes he's only famous because of Bond but that role carries allot of weight and although I don't expect him to taking on tent pole pictures, I can see him crafting quite an interesting career as a character actor after Bond.

Craig is respected by rafts of people and when you have the likes of Spielberg, Fincher & Soderbergh in your corner you are far from a has been. Some of your comments are laughable.

It's like watching a bunch of children not get there own way and spitting their dummies out on here.

Yes I'm a big DC advocate although I recognise his flaws but some here are just taking all these stories and getting worked up into a right lather. Yes the trade papers are likely to be near the mark but the British broadsheets aren't much better than the tabloids these days with their hack cut and paste journalism.

You're speaking a lot of sense @Shardlake. Much of what's been said over the past few days has been ridiculous, and not based in any fact-- just emotions.

There's a lot more behind this than a casting decision.

As Deadline is reporting: if a director is chosen within the next 60 days, they're on track. And supposedly an offer's been made to one of the candidates.

I hope Demange gets it, and all this talk about being second or third choice can be spun quite easily-- especially if he makes a kick ass Bond film. He will be celebrated (and in some case be considered the Second Coming of Campbell if he hits out of the park). If the film's a success, no one will be talking about second or third choice candidates. The headlines will read: The Man Who Saved Bond...

@Univex much appreciate your kind words and of course @peter.

Demange would make me happy, I was on board with him as soon Villenueve was taken off the table with other commitments and White Boy Rick looks definitely worth a watch.

71 is an impressive debut I think he's got the chops for this and working with a A lister like McConaughey he should no how to deal with Craig.

The last thing I want is Mendes back and I would have thought that starting shooting 1917 in April 2019 pretty much guarantees that he can't.

I know you can't alloborate but possibly Boyle used the casting issue to walk although as you said there was much more going on than that. Possibly Danny just wasn't ready for a production the size of Bond?
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    In a matter of days, Barbara Broccoli and Michael G wilson will announce that the pre-production of Bond 25 made them very tired and they need a break. Then we will hear absolutely nothing about Bond 25 for the next year. :))

ricebag.jpg?w=860
    chrisisall wrote: »
    bondbat007 wrote: »
    There's a reason he hasn't directed anything big since Star Trek Nemesis

The reason being? Haven't watched that film, myself.

He was handed a derivative script (which he could not recognize as such) and put in a 'car chase' which would have been at home in a Bond movie, but not a Trek film. Hardy was a bit mis-cast, and the action was too hot & heavy for a Trek movie.

It's not even just the finished film (which I don't hate) but look up any interviews with the cast about his behavior on set and his attitude to the source material. Not great
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Pretty certain this is the last straw for me.

I really don't want Daniel Craig to come back.

I messaged the guy on Twitter who write the Boyle/Thomaz Kot story and he responded saying that attempts are being made to bring Sam Mendes back.

https://twitter.com/HarryFarls

Oh, no!

That's, what we needed and have been waiting for 3 years: 007 Zippo Lighters. Hooray! Christmas is approaching, and not once a year.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Executive Decision was great but he was out of his element on Star Trek. I’ve read stories that imply that he didn’t “get” Star Trek
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Star Trek Nemesis's biggest failings was the story. Guess who wrote it. John Logan.

Picard and the crew of the USS Enterprise E vs Picard's evil clone played by Tom Hardy and discover a long lost brother of Data's.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 1,261
    attempts are being made to bring Sam Mendes back.

If you were Barbara Broccoli, how would you try to convince Mendes to return and take over an already troubled movie after the negative experience he had directing Spectre? What can they possibly offer him to convince him to return? I don't think a huge sum of money will be enough this time.

millionaire_idiot_fail.jpg
    It's so frustrating that we were seemingly close to a revolutionary Bond film.

They have a thespian actor in the role and the franchise is as popular as it's ever been, and it sounds like they're throwing away a skilled writer and director and moving away from something challenging and interesting to revert back to their tired and boring comfort zone story where they get to dress up their actor in brands that will pay and have him ugly cry over a hastily concocted personal connection again, or something.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited August 2018 Posts: 17,691

He was handed a derivative script (which he could not recognize as such) and put in a 'car chase' which would have been at home in a Bond movie, but not a Trek film. Hardy was a bit mis-cast, and the action was too hot & heavy for a Trek movie.

It's not even just the finished film (which I don't hate) but look up any interviews with the cast about his behavior on set and his attitude to the source material. Not great
    His temperament would be in step with Bond action production as opposed to the utopian Trek atmosphere... ;)
    talos7 wrote: »

Executive Decision was great but he was out of his element on Star Trek. I’ve read stories that imply that he didn’t “get” Star Trek
    If you aren't a fan of a film or TV series you have no business directing a movie or episode without extensive research. Nemisis' producers get the blame on this IMO. Maybe studio as well.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    It's all down to Craig now to prove all the naysayers wrong like he did originally back 2006.

People are writing him off in the droves it seems (or as we are led to be believed).

If this makes it's original release and doesn't get delayed, I hope DC uses all the negativity this is causing and channels it into giving his best performance and helping to craft a film for the ages.

I truly believe he wanted to go out in style and I don't think he'll be part of another lacklustre film if that can be helped

All this talk of DC being a nobody in Hollywood is utter BS, yes he's only famous because of Bond but that role carries allot of weight and although I don't expect him to taking on tent pole pictures, I can see him crafting quite an interesting career as a character actor after Bond.

Craig is respected by rafts of people and when you have the likes of Spielberg, Fincher & Soderbergh in your corner you are far from a has been. Some of your comments are laughable.

It's like watching a bunch of children not get there own way and spitting their dummies out on here.

Yes I'm a big DC advocate although I recognise his flaws but some here are just taking all these stories and getting worked up into a right lather. Yes the trade papers are likely to be near the mark but the British broadsheets aren't much better than the tabloids these days with their hack cut and paste journalism.

You're speaking a lot of sense @Shardlake. Much of what's been said over the past few days has been ridiculous, and not based in any fact-- just emotions.

There's a lot more behind this than a casting decision.

As Deadline is reporting: if a director is chosen within the next 60 days, they're on track. And supposedly an offer's been made to one of the candidates.

I hope Demange gets it, and all this talk about being second or third choice can be spun quite easily-- especially if he makes a kick ass Bond film. He will be celebrated (and in some case be considered the Second Coming of Campbell if he hits out of the park). If the film's a success, no one will be talking about second or third choice candidates. The headlines will read: The Man Who Saved Bond...

@Univex much appreciate your kind words and of course @peter.

Demange would make me happy, I was on board with him as soon Villenueve was taken off the table with other commitments and White Boy Rick looks definitely worth a watch.

71 is an impressive debut I think he's got the chops for this and working with a A lister like McConaughey he should no how to deal with Craig.

The last thing I want is Mendes back and I would have thought that starting shooting 1917 in April 2019 pretty much guarantees that he can't.

I know you can't alloborate but possibly Boyle used the casting issue to walk although as you said there was much more going on than that. Possibly Danny just wasn't ready for a production the size of Bond?

I would agree with @RC7 that biting into a production of this scale may have been overwhelming.

The script developments have been issues at EoN in the past, as we saw from the Sony leaks. Babs has been known to be a great nuts n bolts producer, but how is she on story? That may've scared Boyle as he may've wanted something smaller in scale...

... and did the smaller in scale and smaller in action gel with the distributors-- especially Universal?...

Remember, EoN released the statement, but, make no mistake, MGM, Universal and Annapurna were ALL consulted.

Babs may be powerful, but I doubt her and DC would have much sway over the titans at Universal...

Look what happened when Cubby was over-ruled and Connery was brought back for DAF...

Do we honestly believe Universal would make this big splash and swallow a Craig tantrum and Babs saying, that's it, Boyle's gone!! No, people, Universal would not allow this to pass. They have a film to make.

Universal et al were consulted and were in on this decision to let Boyle go.

And it wasn't over a casting decision and a temper tantrum-- Jeeez!
    That vanity article does make me worry they will lose Nov 2019. But how about they try summer 2020?
    I wonder if, in years to come, the Hodge script will become a "Holy Grail" for Bond fans. EON have nothing to gain by releasing it into the public domain. I am so, so curious as to what the "big idea" is/was that hooked EON in the first place. Will we ever know?
    Pretty certain this is the last straw for me.

I really don't want Daniel Craig to come back.

I messaged the guy on Twitter who write the Boyle/Thomaz Kot story and he responded saying that attempts are being made to bring Sam Mendes back.

https://twitter.com/HarryFarls
    Bringing Mendes back to me is a clear indication they want to meet that 2019 date
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 824
    dp
  • It's not looking good. I'll be really surprised if the 3rd December shooting date is met even though locations and commercial deals will have to be revamped. It's a real shame, Eon have had three years to get a good script ready and they've failed miserably. In my book, Craig is second only to Connery so I hope he stays and goes out on a high, albeit in 2020 rather than 2019.

That doesn't sound good! I guess EON will have other candidates to look to – even at this stage. Just hope they can get someone on board relatively quick.
    If THR article is accurate I'm guessing Craig won't come back. Five years is more than enough time for the audience to expect or want a new face as Bond. Also, winter 2020 would seem less risky or potentially more profitable than spring 2020.

As for Daniel Craig's contract - well, contracts can be terminated. I'm sure Craig would be generously compensated. He wouldn't leave the franchise without some golden handshake deal, I reckon.
    Edgar Wright has been added to the short list

https://deadline.com/2018/08/bond-25-2019-release-date-jean-marc-vallee-david-mackenzie-yann-demange-daniel-craig-1202451415/

Somewhat irony considering Marvel yanked him from Ant-Man under similar circumstances to Boyle's exit. Also, he fits the writer-director mandate from Eon.

BREAKING: Bond 25 could still make 2019 release date and Jean-Marc Vallee has been approuched to direct

https://deadline.com/2018/08/bond-25-2019-release-date-jean-marc-vallee-david-mackenzie-yann-demange-daniel-craig-1202451415/

Please be true.

Jean-Marc Vallee may be too busy. But David Mackenzie and Yann Demange could accept.

Personally, I think Vallee is a far more exciting name than Boyle and much better suited to Craig's era. He could even bring in the brilliant Gillian Flynn to retool the script.

Is there a reason we are ignoring this
  • For me, the only good news is that maybe...........maybe.......Sam Mendes is being asked to come back to save this mess.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Mendes ain't coming back.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    It's obvious they-- and I mean EoN and Universal-- are working their rolodexes. I have a feeling that no one is of the opinion they will miss release date-- shooting may be pushed back by a few weeks, but the release date is still the target. Seems Deadline is the only one smart enough to report what's happening vs speculation of what could happen...
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited August 2018 Posts: 10,588
    Still don't understand where all this Mendes stuff is coming from, as Pierce2Daniel has yet to provide a source.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Still don't understand where all this Mendes stuff is coming from, as Pierce2Daniel has yet to provide a source.

Are you going to edit the title of the thread to reflect the new news
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited August 2018 Posts: 5,979
    It's obvious they-- and I mean EoN and Universal-- are working their rolodexes. I have a feeling that no one is of the opinion they will miss release date-- shooting may be pushed back by a few weeks, but the release date is still the target. Seems Deadline is the only one smart enough to report what's happening vs speculation of what could happen...

This seems more messy than it is...

What if Eon has been seeking a replacement for a while, but needed to get the Boyle news out there first to clear the air? And of course the reps for the various directors under consideration have an incentive to get their clients' names in the news...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The new news being a short list of directors has been created and the producers are actively looking to replace Boyle. Missing the release date is speculative and non-news.
  • peter wrote: »

Lots of 'ifs' in this article
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 1,661
    However one industry source told the Telegraph the split was due to a fall out over whether to cast Tomasz Kot as the lead villain. The 41-year-old Polish actor stars in Cold War, a love story set in 1950s Europe, and was described as a "left-field" decision for a Bond enemy.

Regarding the issue over casting foreign actors, couldn't Eon hire some young Brit actors and tell 'em "just pretend you're Russian or Polish!"

I don't mean that to be tongue-in-check but if there was some big conflict over casting a foreign actor "you must hire this actor or I quit!" can't you just simplify things? I mean last time I checked.... Robbie Coltrane wasn't born in Moscow and he seemed to do okay in Goldeneye and TWINE!

Who cares if the guy is actually Polish or not. Sigh. I doubt Boyle would quit over that sort of casting but who knows! Seems bonkers if he did. Perhaps Bond 25 is destined to be a bit... crap!
    Now it's a near certainty that Bond 25 will be pushed back. Who would have thought when the highly successful Skyfall was released that 6 years later we would be in this mess? When will Barbara Broccoli finally admit to herself that it's time for her to go?

donald-trump-1YuAZM.gif