No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited August 2018 Posts: 2,721
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    Marc Forster won't be back. He confirmed as much a decade ago.

Looks like he never wants to be relevant again.

Making a Bond film especially these days doesn't exactly make you relevant and if it does, ones relevance lasts what, 5 minutes?
    Some considerations for a British director (given the unusual situation Bond 25 is in!):

Mike Newell - he's older but he has done some of the finer Harry Potter films - within the confines of a formula.

He did only 1 Harry Potter film.

You're correct. My favourite out of them (I'm not much of a potter fan)
    Forster seems a natural fit in this context. Seems to have maintained good relations with Babs and Craig through a stressful production with last minute script issues. Sign him up!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited August 2018 Posts: 7,965
    I love how THR and Variety come out with articles (amongst countless others) saying there will be a significant delay, and that's just speculation, but Deadline comes with a ray of hope, and suddenly its credible info.
    Landing a 2019 release from here would be admirable.

My only wish is that it Bond 25 doesn’t try to revolutionise anything.

Craig just needs a good bloody story like The Living Daylights.

These damn movies have been making it ‘personal’ since 1987 and it’s gotta stop!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'd like Forster to return. I thought he did an excellent job all things considered. The man applied style and panache and gave us one of the best car chases in the series.

2 things though, abandon all that quick cut/Whaley can crap AND give the guy a complete working script and we're all good.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 386
    Where Bond gets angsty -

LTK - Felix revenge
    GE - Alec T
    TND - Paris (arguably stretching it here)
    TWINE - M / King family
    DAD - left for dead (a wasted opportunity)
    CR - Vesper
    QoS - revenge rampage
    SF - old dog
    SP - step-brothergate

Can you imagine Roger or Sean dealing with this rubbish?

Please EON, deliver us a self-contained, impersonal thriller for B25

doubleoego wrote: »
    I'd like Forster to return. I thought he did an excellent job all things considered. The man applied style and panache and gave us one of the best car chases in the series.

2 things though, abandon all that quick cut/Whaley can crap AND give the guy a complete working script and we're all good.

The Siena fist fight was also great.

GetCarter wrote: »
    Where Bond gets angsty -

LTK - Felix revenge
    GE - Alec T
    TND - Paris (arguably stretching it here)
    TWINE - M / King family
    DAD - left for dead (a wasted opportunity)
    CR - Vesper
    QoS - revenge rampage
    SF - old dog
    SP - step-brothergate

Can you imagine Roger or Sean dealing with this rubbish?

Please EON, deliver us a self-contained, impersonal thriller for B25

Very true and nice to see it written down. I hate to admit it but the rot did really set in with LTK - I've always been uneasy with that 'this time it's personal' and 'going rogue' dimension. Also in SF the way he was betrayed by M (basically shot and left for dead while doing his job due to her bad call) and then all the mummy/brother issues with Silva etc.

Let's not go off on a tangent and talk about things that are not necessary.

Last night Deadline revealed 4 directors who seemingly all have offers to direct Bond 25. I assumed they are all reading the script now and deciding whether to take the project on.

the four contenders are:

Jean-Marc Vallee
    jean-marc-vallee.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=1

Edgar Wright
    edgar-wright-baby-driver-variety-feature-credit-peter-yang.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=1

Yann Demange
    yann-demange.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=1

David Mackenzie
    david-mackenzie-the-mission.jpg?w=1000&h=562&crop=1
    Are any of these a "Mendes 2.0" type director? I'm only familiar with Edgar Wright, and his Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    I'd be surprised if Edgar Wright goes for it seeing as he's such an idiosyncratic director with a distinct style and his foray into the Marvel franchise finished with him pulling a Danny Boyle.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @peter When you hear something we should all listen, but when a reputable movie news site with tons of sources within the film industry writes something negative about Bond 25, it's a "hysterical report"? (I am referring to the Hollywood Reporter article saying Bond 25 will miss its release date.)

What about Deadline reporting on the producers list of candidates? That the producers are actively in pursuit of a replacement? That has a positive (and more grounded) spin on this. But the naysayers don’t mention this latest news. They drown it out with their projections (based on what), and their vitriol.

Hey, as far as I know 25 gets canceled today, Craig leaves the series, a portion on this site throw a party. But the reaction to all of this has so far been quite a display of childish anger and backlash. This faction clings to speculation, rather than fact, and when something comes along from a reputable source (that isn’t merely cutting and pasting from a Telegraph article, that was speculative), and says the producers have a short list of directors (with the goal of meeting the release date), it’s largely ignored by the frothing masses on this site because they want to drown in their doomsday predictions.
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    In my perfect universe this happens:

- Craig retires after SF, and it's considered as one of the greatest after 3 strong films
    - Michael Fassbender is new James Bond
    - Martin Campbell reboots the franchise once more with near perfect Bond movie
    - Nolan decides to make Bond trilogy after Fassbender's succesful first movie
    I genuinely don't understand all this Nolan praise/talk of him being a "must" for the Bond series…
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    I wouldn't call myself a Nolan fan, I just think that him directing a Bond film would be a good thing for the franchise. I might be wrong.
  • RC7RC7
    Strog wrote: »
    Re: Forster doing another -- FWIW, from a couple weeks ago:

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/open-another-bondampquot-says-christopher-robin-director-marc-forster-100214395.html
    “I would be open to another Bond," says Christopher Robin director Marc Forster
    Stefan Pape

It’s not just the rumour mill over the next 007 to take over from Daniel Craig that is interesting for James Bond fans, but who may be at the helm.

When speaking to Yahoo Movies, to celebrate the release of Christopher Robin, director Marc Forster threw his hat into the ring by admitting it’s a franchise he would be interested in re-entering one day, follow his success with Quantum of Solace.

[...]

Going back to James Bond… Are you excited to see where the character is going to go next?

Absolutely. I’ve always been a huge Bond fan, that’s why I wanted to do Quantum of Solace. At the time we had a writer’s strike and we had a bit of an issue with that, but I’m a very big fan, and it’s such a special movie. The one thing is that I wish we had more time to develop the script, but other than that, I love the film and it was an idea at the time to make it about water, which suddenly became a huge issue with the temperatures rising, and this was 10 years ago so nobody predicted it would become such a big issue, but I really enjoyed making this movie. Barbara Broccoli is honestly one of the most brilliant producers I have ever worked with, just fantastic.

Woah, gonna have to stop you there, mate. What would Marc Forster know about Barbara’s abilities? We have far more credible luminaries on this board who just ‘know’ she’s simply awful.

• edited August 2018 Posts: 820
    I've seen all in Facebook & Twitter. I was very disappointed & heart. I should today times running out. They should get a director & Script Writer by November before the filming. I won't see another delay like 2020 that when I turn 50. Daniel Craig my last favourite 007. I was disappointed of Danny Boyle stepping out in the last minute. Including the Script writer.
    Any ideas of when Eon will make an announcement
    BREAKING: Bond 25 could still make 2019 release date and Jean-Marc Vallee has been approuched to direct

https://deadline.com/2018/08/bond-25-2019-release-date-jean-marc-vallee-david-mackenzie-yann-demange-daniel-craig-1202451415/

Please be true.

Jean-Marc Vallee may be too busy. But David Mackenzie and Yann Demange could accept.

Personally, I think Vallee is a far more exciting name than Boyle and much better suited to Craig's era. He could even bring in the brilliant Gillian Flynn to retool the script.

Oh that would be great news! And why didn't I think of Vallee before?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    RC7 wrote: »
    Strog wrote: »
    Re: Forster doing another -- FWIW, from a couple weeks ago:

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/open-another-bondampquot-says-christopher-robin-director-marc-forster-100214395.html
    “I would be open to another Bond," says Christopher Robin director Marc Forster
    Stefan Pape

It’s not just the rumour mill over the next 007 to take over from Daniel Craig that is interesting for James Bond fans, but who may be at the helm.

When speaking to Yahoo Movies, to celebrate the release of Christopher Robin, director Marc Forster threw his hat into the ring by admitting it’s a franchise he would be interested in re-entering one day, follow his success with Quantum of Solace.

[...]

Going back to James Bond… Are you excited to see where the character is going to go next?

Absolutely. I’ve always been a huge Bond fan, that’s why I wanted to do Quantum of Solace. At the time we had a writer’s strike and we had a bit of an issue with that, but I’m a very big fan, and it’s such a special movie. The one thing is that I wish we had more time to develop the script, but other than that, I love the film and it was an idea at the time to make it about water, which suddenly became a huge issue with the temperatures rising, and this was 10 years ago so nobody predicted it would become such a big issue, but I really enjoyed making this movie. Barbara Broccoli is honestly one of the most brilliant producers I have ever worked with, just fantastic.

Woah, gonna have to stop you there, mate. What would Marc Forster know about Barbara’s abilities? We have far more credible luminaries on this board who just ‘know’ she’s simply awful.

What does Forster know?? He’s an idiot, obviously. Barbara’s a hack. We all know that.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Re-reading the Deadline article, the first few lines are telling. In short: Rival distributors likely are the sources who say Bond will miss its release date.
    But so far, Babs has not moved from the dates.

As Has been reported, but ignored by all but the tiniest faction on this site, the producers, and yes, include Universal on this (coz Babs is not omnipotent and solely calls the shots on her own, she has equal partners in this (who agreed to Boyle’s dismissal and will be players in his replacement)), have continued with business as usual. There is a date and there is a vacant spot to fill. They are actively working to fill this spot and already have a short list of candidates.

These candidates are reading the script as we all write our doomsday predictions.

That’s not speculative.

And of course the four candidates can all pass, but somehow (speculation on my part), I don’t think so.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Let's not go off on a tangent and talk about things that are not necessary.

Last night Deadline revealed 4 directors who seemingly all have offers to direct Bond 25. I assumed they are all reading the script now and deciding whether to take the project on.

the four contenders are:

Jean-Marc Vallee
    jean-marc-vallee.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=1

Edgar Wright
    edgar-wright-baby-driver-variety-feature-credit-peter-yang.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=1

Yann Demange
    yann-demange.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=1

David Mackenzie
    david-mackenzie-the-mission.jpg?w=1000&h=562&crop=1
    Interesting choices. We know about MacKenzie and Demange of course, who were speaking with Babs and Co prior to Craig's announcement of return. Presumably they were working off the P&W script and vision at that stage. Would they want to work with the Hodge script? Perhaps, but I'd imagine they'd want their own spin or rewrites.

I'm not all that familiar with Edgar Wright except for Baby Driver, which I thought was overly praised. It was alright, but I couldn't understand what the fuss was about. Presumably he'd want to tinker in some way as well.

I have no idea who Vallee is.

Deadline does acknowledge that there could still be a delay. At the end of the day, all we know is Boyle is out. The rest is pure conjecture and speculation (which I personally see nothing wrong with - since that's what this entire thread has been about since inception, given the lack of real facts, and contradictions from 'official sources' over the past few years).

I still hope they get this film out on time despite the shambles they appear to have put themselves in. Failing which, I hope they go back to the drawing board and quickly come up with a reimagined film for 2020.

I have enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts here. Some interesting and varied opinions on the state of affairs and ideas for the way forward from passionate fans of the franchise.
  • DomesticKittenDomesticKitten Blofeld's Lap
    Edgar Wright is my favourite director of all time. If he truly is up for the director gig, I would be fascinated to see that film. I don't think he'd be up for taking the mantle up this late in the game, and certainly not with someone else's script. Wright has written or co-written his own projects for a long, long time now. If they want him, it'll be a delay and a re-write with that package deal...and I mean, probably a Boyle style drop-out. Wright likes his creative control, and who can blame him. Love the man though, so if he wants to, and they want him - DO IT. The man knows how to make films. Bond and Edgar Wright is genuinely a film collaboration I've always dreamed of.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Ludovico wrote: »
    BREAKING: Bond 25 could still make 2019 release date and Jean-Marc Vallee has been approuched to direct

https://deadline.com/2018/08/bond-25-2019-release-date-jean-marc-vallee-david-mackenzie-yann-demange-daniel-craig-1202451415/

Please be true.

Jean-Marc Vallee may be too busy. But David Mackenzie and Yann Demange could accept.

Personally, I think Vallee is a far more exciting name than Boyle and much better suited to Craig's era. He could even bring in the brilliant Gillian Flynn to retool the script.

Not really sure why anyone would.

So signing Marc Forster is a good idea when the screenplay may be completely rewritten three months before shooting? "I wish we had more time to develop the script" he said about QOS. Welcome back, Marc, to 'let's rush a script through' Bond making!

Anyway, Forster would want to do Bond 26, not Bond 25. Why? Well, he mentioned in another interview he wants Winnie the Pooh to take over as the next James Bond.

meetngreet_disney-characters_winnie-the-pooh_16-9.jpg

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I wouldn't mind Forster back at some point in the future, but I doubt he's on the radar at this moment.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Please be true.

Not really sure why anyone would.

Because although not as famous as Denis Villeneuve he's got a similar background and he's very good. He is just the kind of director Barb would notice.
    I'm far more intrigued by the possibility of these lesser known directors than I am to a Boyle, or Nolan, TBH.
    The countess headlines and articles stating B25 is to be delayed, does seem pure speculation as right now, there's no official announcement regarding a delay.
    The writers could have browsed through this thread to get their information, as it's all been covered here in the past couple days.
    If Gareth Owen is in fact correct that the Hodges' script was a re-working of the Wade script and basically, they're just scrambling to replace Boyle, I feel far more confident any potential delay won't be too long.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Having recently watched the very enjoyable 'Baby Driver' , I'd be happy with Edgar Wright in the directors chair. Or any of the directors listed in @Pierce2Daniel post above.
    Personally I don't want any of the previous directors to make a comeback. Campbell is too old, and all the others since GE haven't really been my cup of tea.