No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    antovolk wrote: »
    Sounds like the Hodge script is being tossed aside and they don’t want to return to P&W as they are looking for a writer-director to replace Boyle https://variety.com/2018/film/news/bond-25-release-date-danny-boyle-1202915388/

I could go for a Vesper right now. Six of them.
    Seeing the Variety article makes me a little worried that we are going to lose the date now...
    And quite possibly our actor?
    Who knows? Interesting times.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Sounds like the Hodge script is being tossed aside and they don’t want to return to P&W as they are looking for a writer-director to replace Boyle https://variety.com/2018/film/news/bond-25-release-date-danny-boyle-1202915388/
    Well this is rather disappointing. I really hoped this wouldn't be the case, but perhaps it's for the best. They really should reboot this thing now imho. It will be even more anticlimactic if they don't.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    How credible is Variety?
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    How credible is Variety?

Very.

• edited August 2018 Posts: 252
    So there's no chance that Nolan came on board? Jesus Christ, this Franchise is now in real trouble
    The companies are not simply eyeing a director for hire, which signals that a major rewrite will have to be undertaken. It is also telling that the producers seem more eager to find a screenwriter than a person willing to slide behind the camera. That has many believing that the Boyle script will be scrapped. It may also be a sign that Broccoli and Craig aren’t interested in returning to an earlier draft that was submitted by Neal Purvis and Robert Wade, the team behind “Skyfall.”

Major Rewrite? What a joke, 3 years after SP, and they have nothing....
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    peter wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, non more so than in the case of defaming EON. ‘I’ve read the leaks’, doesn’t cut it I’m afraid. I personally don’t think EON are perfect, far from it, but I also understand that while they’re slave to production, they are also attempting to maintain and protect a legacy.

That’s a really difficult job in an age where you’re being battered from every angle by people telling you what you should and shouldn’t be doing, from press to fans. All with opposing opinions, all with their own agendas. It’s black Bond, it’s female Bond, it’s fun Bond, it’s ‘gritty’ Bond, it’s #metoo Bond, it’s action Bond... ‘Why can’t you be more like Marvel?’, ‘Why can’t you be more like M:I?’, ‘I want Craig!’, ‘I don’t want Craig!’...

Do you stick, or twist? It’s a hard call.

Marvel are in their infancy and building their legacy, M:I don’t have one to maintain thus far. Bond’s is long established. SW are suddenly experiencing what it means to build on your legacy in the modern age - needless to say it took all of a couple of years before they were roundly lambasted to the point of boycotts.

This world is a tricky one to navigate, a constant 24/7 dialogue that plays out on social media and in the press. EON are a very small outfit, but they field as much, if not more BS, than the big guns. Their general radio silence can be seen as an inability to play the PR game (fair enough), but I can see why they do it. It’s a policy they have always maintained and I respect that. No deals.

When I defend EON it is not because I’m directly defending the organisation, but because I’m defending producers in general. I know how hard it is to produce. I don’t sit behind my keyboard guessing.

That’s all I have to say.

Very well said. And said from experience.

With Colnel Sun gone you both as always seem to offer the best version of things.

I'm not in the industry and certainly have no insights of it's workings.

It's interesting that some here lambasting Craig with slurs of being spoilt and having temper tantrums when some of the posts coming from some here who are just venting their frustration with no real insight are acting the same way, ironic.

To be honest it appears at least on this forum the DC backlash is in full swing, some here are taking and quoting tabloids and broadsheets who it seems just copy and paste each others stories and will all end up repeating the same story for infinitum.

I surprised some of you fans are taking the word of some hack writers who don't even have the good sense to research. I keep seeing Mendes in these articles as a possible replacement (god forbid) if you take a look at his schedule he's busy from April 2019 with 1917. Unless they expect him to abandon that to return to a series he was clearly not comfortable returning to last time.

Some very lazy journalism and we are taking this as gospel. It suits some here to believe because they have an agenda to have Craig out of the role so we can get Bond no. 7 out there with a new era.

I'm not an EON apologist I have issues with many of the films and not just the DC ones that some make out are the worst thing that has ever happened and I acknowledge that they well and truly dropped the ball on SPECTRE, I rank it no. 24.

Although I think we need to give them the time to find a director and let them announce things officially instead of jumping every rumour and poorly researched story out there.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Perhaps Nolan maybe the new proprietor.

Am I alone in thinking Nolan's films are incredibly boring?

No surprise here. A few of us predicted this several pages ago.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 9,730
    Hmm well this is scary now
    2019 looks to be out of the question. This truly sucks.
    Untill we get that officially I am not saying anything is impossible
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    At the pace we get announcements, it’ll be another month or two before EON confirms the movie will be delayed.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    bondjames wrote: »
    Well this is rather disappointing. I really hoped this wouldn't be the case, but perhaps it's for the best. They really should reboot this thing now imho. It will be even more anticlimactic if they don't.

Yep, agreed. There's no point hiring a new writer for a new script if they are only going to stick with Craig. Better to go the whole hog, and really shake things up. I think people can see that Bond has no energy or momentum going for it lately. That isn't likely to change until Craig leaves IMO, so why drag it out another year or two?

• DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.

Some weird suggestions. And I would not want Bond 25 to become TAKEN XY.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    EoN had all the time in the world and this is where we're at? We've waited, been patient, they've had time and this is the news we get. All this, "give EoN time" malarkey that some people toss around no longer applies. 3 years! What a joke.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,400
    Pretty certain this is the last straw for me.

I really don't want Daniel Craig to come back.

I messaged the guy on Twitter who write the Boyle/Thomaz Kot story and he responded saying that attempts are being made to bring Sam Mendes back.

https://twitter.com/HarryFarls
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 1,165

+1
    We desperately need a shakeup for certain, including producers and main actor. I love what the team has accomplished thus far for the most part, but we’ve come to a very embarrassing, ugly point.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Shardlake wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, non more so than in the case of defaming EON. ‘I’ve read the leaks’, doesn’t cut it I’m afraid. I personally don’t think EON are perfect, far from it, but I also understand that while they’re slave to production, they are also attempting to maintain and protect a legacy.

That’s a really difficult job in an age where you’re being battered from every angle by people telling you what you should and shouldn’t be doing, from press to fans. All with opposing opinions, all with their own agendas. It’s black Bond, it’s female Bond, it’s fun Bond, it’s ‘gritty’ Bond, it’s #metoo Bond, it’s action Bond... ‘Why can’t you be more like Marvel?’, ‘Why can’t you be more like M:I?’, ‘I want Craig!’, ‘I don’t want Craig!’...

Do you stick, or twist? It’s a hard call.

Marvel are in their infancy and building their legacy, M:I don’t have one to maintain thus far. Bond’s is long established. SW are suddenly experiencing what it means to build on your legacy in the modern age - needless to say it took all of a couple of years before they were roundly lambasted to the point of boycotts.

This world is a tricky one to navigate, a constant 24/7 dialogue that plays out on social media and in the press. EON are a very small outfit, but they field as much, if not more BS, than the big guns. Their general radio silence can be seen as an inability to play the PR game (fair enough), but I can see why they do it. It’s a policy they have always maintained and I respect that. No deals.

When I defend EON it is not because I’m directly defending the organisation, but because I’m defending producers in general. I know how hard it is to produce. I don’t sit behind my keyboard guessing.

That’s all I have to say.

Very well said. And said from experience.

With Colnel Sun gone you both as always seem to offer the best version of things.

I'm not in the industry and certainly have no insights of it's workings.

It's interesting that some here lambasting Craig with slurs of being spoilt and having temper tantrums when some of the posts coming from some here who are just venting their frustration with no real insight are acting the same way, ironic.

To be honest it appears at least on this forum the DC backlash is in full swing, some here are taking and quoting tabloids and broadsheets who it seems just copy and paste each others stories and will all end up repeating the same story for infinitum.

I surprised some of you fans are taking the word of some hack writers who don't even have the good sense to research. I keep seeing Mendes in these articles as a possible replacement (god forbid) if you take a look at his schedule he's busy from April 2019 with 1917. Unless they expect him to abandon that to return to a series he was clearly not comfortable returning to last time.

Some very lazy journalism and we are taking this as gospel. It suits some here to believe because they have an agenda to have Craig out of the role so we can get Bond no. 7 out there with a new era.

I'm not an EON apologist I have issues with many of the films and not just the DC ones that some make out are the worst thing that has ever happened and I acknowledge that they well and truly dropped the ball on SPECTRE, I rank it no. 24.

Although I think we need to give them the time to find a director and let them announce things officially instead of jumping every rumour and poorly researched story out there.

Agreed @Shardlake, even the Variety article is repeating speculation. Until there's an announcement, really, no one knows anything. I'm surprised with Variety. It sounds like a re-hash of the Telegraph and other media.

But the only quote we have seen is from Baba, MGW and DC-- which leads me to believe that DC is Bond (whether there's a delay or not).

I have just spoke with @ColonelSun, and without betraying his confidence, there was something a little more going on than the disagreement of a casting decision.

Right now, I'm still of the mind that there is a search for a writer or writers, as Variety suggests, BUT to polish the draft of the script they were crewing up for and casting for.

I'll probably be raked over the coals for that, but so be it.

I want a new Bond now immediately but I'm disheartened for feeling this way as Craig was initially such a good Bond and to see him do one last Bond film, firing on all cylinders is something I'd relish to see; but enough is enough. This Bond era needs to end and be cancelled.

• edited August 2018 Posts: 4,619
    In a matter of days, Barbara Broccoli and Michael G wilson will announce that the pre-production of Bond 25 made them very tired and they need a break. Then we will hear absolutely nothing about Bond 25 for the next year. :))

I messaged the guy on Twitter who write the Boyle/Thomaz Kot story and he responded saying that attempts are being made to bring Sam Mendes back.

Oh, no!

Tweet must've been deleted.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883

Oh, no!

007 branded suppositories or laxatives (Bond did use one in TMWTGG) would have been more apropos, given the apparent current state of affairs.

No, you´re not.
    Noooooooo! No more Sam Mendes!!!!! All my excitement for Bond 25 is quickly leaving.....
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

Nope, I don't enjoy his movies either.
    Please God, no. Mendes must NOT return.