No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited August 2018 Posts: 4,554
    I need something on record, an actual statement from a producer or director or co-star, that states Daniel Craig has ever been a problem for anyone on set or anywhere else.

Here's a list to work with:

Sam Mendes
    David Fincher
    Steven Soderbergh
    Jon Favreau
    Steven Spielberg
    Edward Zwick
    Marc Forster
    Martin Campbell
    Matthew Vaughn
    Roger Michell
    Gwyneth Paltrow
    Tom Hanks
    Paul Newman (rip)
    Mark Strong
    Mads Mikkelson
    Eva Greene
    Judi Dench
    Olga Kurylenko
    Gabriel Macht
    Nicole Kidman
    Liev Schreiber
    Naomi Watts
    Hugh Jackman
    Harrison Ford
    Sam Rockwell
    Olivia Wilde
    Rooney Mara
    Stellan Skarsgaard
    Christopher Plummer
    Javier Bardem
    Ralph Fiennes
    Naomie Harris
    Ben Whishaw
    Albert Finney
    Rafe Spall
    Christoph Waltz
    Lea Seydoux
    Dave Bautista
    David Oyelowo
    Rachel Brosnahan
    Adam Driver
    Channing Tatum
    Hillary Swank
    Halle Berry

Any word from any of these people on how awful Daniel Craig is?

Getafix wrote: »
    Truth is none of us really know why this has happened but what we do know is that it's a mess and that it isn't out of character for EON to be juggling last minute issues like having no director, no decent script etc.

How is this still the case after 4 years since SP? The longer gaps are presumably to allow them to sort their sh*t out between films but they can't even do that. It's the same situation (to one degree or another) as before QoS, SF and SP all over again.

Okay, productions don't always run smoothly and arguments around the script and casting are presumably normal. But aren't these things the basics? To be tripping up on the same issues again and again, to the extent that they repeatedly lose their director or have rewrite the script extensively at the last minute surely suggests incompetence or lack of interest at some level.

I'd have preferred QOS quality movies every 2 years to what we've had since 2008. It doesn't seem to matter how much time EON has - it's always a last minute cobbled together mess these days.

I couldn't agree more, really. If Cubby were with us and running the show I don't doubt for a moment B25 would have happened last year and we'd be on track for B26 next year. Distribution deal, outside projects, etc included. He would have secured the distribution deal immediately after the last film, wouldn't have waited 2 years for Craig to make up his mind, and would have scheduled whatever side projects :(FILM STARS DON'T DIE), accordingly.
    I believe at one point, FYEO was the film with the shortest pre-production in the series' history. He had to deal with hiring a new director, production designer, a possible Bond recasting, a complete change of direction in tone from MR, and lo and behold, the film was in theaters precisely on time. Not to mention, arguably one of Roger's best.

I'd take a consistent run of QoS quality Bonds since 2008 over SF and SP as well. My only real quibble of QoS at the time was the gunbarrel placement. Something that could be easily fixed. It's a tight action revenge thriller and every penny is up there on the screen.

I believe it's astounding that so much time has been WASTED on B25. Two whole years for Craig to make up his mind, and another year wasted pursuing the Boyle Bond project.
    I do hope Eon is either going ahead as planned or have a strong back up plan. Otherwise, this decade will have brought us only 2 films. At this rate, I'd predict the next decade to bring us only one and that will be it.
    From the Bond Experience Facebook Page

http://www.facebook.com/TheBondExperience

As to the fallout occuring becaise of the villain casting: OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT from the manager of Tomasz Kot:

"Odnosząc się do doniesień medialnych dotyczących napięć na linii Danny Boyle – Daniel Craig, które miałyby być konsekwencją różnych wizji artystycznych obu Panów, i które miałyby dotyczyć ewentualnego udziału Pana Tomasza Kota w najnowszym „Jamesie Bondzie”, pragniemy stwierdzić, że nie dysponujemy żadną wiedzą na ten temat i nie wiemy co obu Panów poróżniło. Natomiast prawdą jest, że Tomasz Kot został poproszony przez reżysera o przygotowanie kilku scen, w których interpretował ostatnie role czarnych charakterów, co zrobił z wielką przyjemnością. Kwestie obsadowe leżą wyłącznie po stronie producentów oraz reżysera. Nie otrzymaliśmy żadnego oficjalnego stanowiska wyżej wymienionych podmiotów, wobec czego nie możemy odnosić się do informacji uzyskanych wyłącznie za pośrednictwem przekazów medialnych.

Lucyna Kobierzycka,
    Kot, Tomasz Kot…"

George Zareba translation:
    "Addressing the rumors in the news regarding the misunderstandings between Danny Boyle and Daniel Craig, supposedly caused by some creative differences between both gentlemen regarding the eventual hiring of Tomasz Kot in the new "James Bond", we would like to announce that we have no knowledge in that matter and we have no clue what disunited both gentlemen.

Truth is however that Tomasz Kot has been asked by the director to prepare a couple of scenes, in which he interpreted roles of the last few villains, which he has done with absolute pleasure.

Casting decisions stay purely with the producers and the director. We didn't get any official message from the aforementioned parties, in which case we are unable to address the information only spread by the media."

Link here: https://www.facebook.com/90714750265274 … 429528578/

SPECIAL THANKS TO George Zareba for this information!

So he has already done screen tests and an audition for Boyle then.

I feel sorry for the actor tbh.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Getafix wrote: »
    While I don't despise EON or Babs, and respect what they've achieved commercially, it's hard not to feel frustrated by what appears to be a pattern of poor planning. QoS, SF, SP and now B25 all delayed or plagued by rushed or poorly written screenplays and/or a failure to have a director in place.

I read something earlier about how after CR in 2006 EON had actually hoped to get QoS out in 2007, which led to a rushed production schedule and the inevitable push back to 2008.

If they were looking at putting out films in consecutive years as recently as 2007, how is it a decade later we're looking at 4 to 5 year gaps as standard, and they still don't seem to be able to get their ducks lined up.

I see a lot of people defending EON on here but frankly the excuses are beginning to wear pretty thin.

As far as I know Bond 22 initially had a planned release date for May 2008 before being pushed back to November. A 2007 release was never in the cards as far as I can recall. That always seemed more like something fans hoped for just so the film could promote itself with its once in a thousand year chance of releasing a film in the 007 of the decade. I know after MGM had been restructured and SKYFALL was in pre-production that they were hoping to go back to the every other year method and aim for a Bond 24 in 2014, which even then Babs dismissed.

I rather not go back to the every other year method, not unless there's better quality control involved. The last time the series has a consistent rate of every other year was in the 90s and those were among the weakest of the series. I rather wait three to four years for a quality film than two for a less than mediocre film.

This list is a total waste of time and entirely useless. Please don't waste your time reading it.

Joe Wright: He's about to start filming The Woman in the Window in November for release in late 2019. He's busy.
    Jaume Collet-Serra: He's filming Jungle Cruise with The Rock for release in fall 2019.
    Coralie Fargeat: Who? Obvious diversity pick because it's from the Guardian.
    Ben Wheatley: Kinda useless.

and then there's Tom Ford - which is actually inspired. But this guy runs a global fashion brand and filmmaking his purely his hobby. I doubt he has the time unless he really books it off in advance.

We need to stop with dreamy/theoretical suggestions. You have to think about who is free currently and can step in.

A name i think can work well is Steven Soderbergh. He directed Craig in Logan Lucky, he's an Oscar winner and he loves Bond. He wrote a great essay on OHMSS. Surely, he's someone we shouldn't discount? He's very prolific when it comes to shooting any script and doing it in a competent and quick fashion. He has the Panama Papers film coming up, but this guy shoots quickly. Perhaps he could delay that film and pick it up in a few months?

Plus Soderbergh loves genre films. His recent Unsane was terrific shlock nonense and Logan Lucky was a fun sel-aware comedy. He's also the guy who shot the Ocean's film which were slick and cool (in the most part). Plus he's done gritty dramas. He even dipped his toe in spy/thrillers with Haywire.

TELEMMGLPICT000137413457_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqe5jTtuvhyhg4PHi86V8a0p815QE7DqplUJlHpAWoYtg.jpeg?imwidth=450

Also, can someone pick up a copy of the Guardian. There is this story in the paper which may shed more light on the situation

• DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 1,261
    From Brexit to Boyxit, and maybe soon Craigxit? ;)
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

This list is a total waste of time and entirely useless. Please don't waste your time reading it.

Joe Wright: He's about to start filming The Woman in the Window in November for release in late 2019. He's busy.
    Jaume Collet-Serra: He's filming Jungle Cruise with The Rock for release in fall 2019.

and then there's Tom Ford - which is actually inspired. But this guy runs a global fashion brand and filmmaking his purely his hobby. I doubt he has the time unless he really books it off in advance.

We need to stop with dreamy/theoretical suggestions. You have to think about who is free currently and can step in.

A name i think can work well is Steven Soderbergh. He directed Craig in Logan Lucky, he's an Oscar winner and he loves Bond. He wrote a great essay on OHMSS. Surely, he's someone we shouldn't discount? He's very prolific when it comes to shooting any script and doing it in a competent and quick fashion. He has the Panama Papers film coming up, but this guy shoots quickly. Perhaps he could delay that film and pick it up in a few months?

Plus Soderbergh loves genre films. His recent Unsane was terrific shlock nonense and Logan Lucky was a fun sel-aware comedy. He's also the guy who shot the Ocean's film which were slick and cool (in the most part). Plus he's done gritty dramas. He even dipped his toe in spy/thrillers with Haywire.

Soderbergh could do it. Problem is, he likes to have complete control. So on one hand, he would not be able to collaborate well with Babs, I don't think. On the other hand, Soderbergh also likes challenges. And if there is one thing he has not done, it's come in to a big project and salvage it. He may very well be ready to simply direct a film, based on script, with a huge budget, and not worry about everything else.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    HMBFF wrote: »
    Just needed to vent my frustration.

cEmNt2Y.png

This one has class all written all above it. Some good laugh helps to overcome frustraation. ;) :)

TELEMMGLPICT000137413457_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqe5jTtuvhyhg4PHi86V8a0p815QE7DqplUJlHpAWoYtg.jpeg?imwidth=450

Also, can someone pick up a copy of the Guardian. There is this story in the paper which may shed more light on the situation

TripAces wrote: »

Soderbergh could do it. Problem is, he likes to have complete control. So on one hand, he would not be able to collaborate well with Babs, I don't think. On the other hand, Soderbergh also likes challenges. And if there is one thing he has not done, it's come in to a big project and salvage it. He may very well be ready to simply direct a film, based on script, with a huge budget, and not worry about everything else.

I understand what you're saying, but Soderbergh really does just shoot the scripts he's given. He's a bit like Clint Eastwood or Steven Speilberg in that sense. Hence, why he works so quickly. If he reads a draft he likes, he just films it and dosen't overthink it.

It's the reason why he used to hit out 2/3 films every 18 months. The only bid concern would be is that he hasn't done a 'tentpole' film. But nor had Forster, Mendes or Boyle before they were hired.

Plus nobody can put a cast together like Steven Soderbergh.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    X3MSonicX wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/22/james-bond-danny-boyle-007-spy?CMP=edit_2221
    [...] First there was Daniel Craig’s diva-ish remark that he’d “rather slash [his] wrists” than play Bond again [...]

It still bothers the f*** out of me when people STILL DO BELIEVE that Craig ACTUALLY did say that as a real thing. I do get really, REALLY pi55ed off.

People can't give a damn to realize that Craig was very tired after Spectre production and he said that as a joke. He NEVER meant that as he is still Bond, but I see people rather be ignorant than trying to see what he was really trying to say there. I'd hope it wouldn't be needed as I never thought that tabloids and idiotic news reporters were that dumb (I'm not talking in general, I might add), but I hope that Craig clears out what that phrase was about and people stop talking s**t out of that.

Sorry for the swearing, I really needed an outburst.

Craig has cleared it up numerous times, including his appearance on Colbert last year where he announced coming back for Bond 25. Despite that, the press still likes to harp that quote out of context anyways. They'll likely keep bringing it up leading up to Bond 25's release.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 616
    I loved HAYWIRE and enjoyed LOGAN LUCKY, and would be thrilled to see Soderbergh take the reins of a Bond movie ....

BUT

... he has a habit of bringing in his own writer(s) to overhaul scripts before he goes into production, and that can be a problem. He took forever reworking THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. with Scott Burns, only to drop out. The same happened with MONEYBALL.
    i Am guessing by next week we will have the director announced my hope is it’s Mcquarrie
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    bondsum wrote: »
    Does anyone have any clue as to how Hodge’s could incorporate these #MeToo and Time's Up themes into a Bond story? I mean, did the story in someways involve Bond attending a disciplinary hearing on sexual harassment charges?

How could anyone of us here possibly know the answer to that?
    Yeah, Soderbergh has moved on from the studio system completely and doesn't wanna go back, let alone so something as controlled as Bond. He's about to start shooting Panama Papers film The Laundromat starring Meryl Streep this autumn for Netflix.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    TripAces wrote: »
    I need something on record, an actual statement from a producer or director or co-star, that states Daniel Craig has ever been a problem for anyone on set or anywhere else.

Here's a list to work with:

Sam Mendes
    David Fincher
    Steven Soderbergh
    Jon Favreau
    Steven Spielberg
    Edward Zwick
    Marc Forster
    Martin Campbell
    Matthew Vaughn
    Roger Michell
    Gwyneth Paltrow
    Tom Hanks
    Paul Newman (rip)
    Mark Strong
    Mads Mikkelson
    Eva Greene
    Judi Dench
    Olga Kurylenko
    Gabriel Macht
    Nicole Kidman
    Liev Schreiber
    Naomi Watts
    Hugh Jackman
    Harrison Ford
    Sam Rockwell
    Olivia Wilde
    Rooney Mara
    Stellan Skarsgaard
    Christopher Plummer
    Javier Bardem
    Ralph Fiennes
    Naomie Harris
    Ben Whishaw
    Albert Finney
    Rafe Spall
    Christoph Waltz
    Lea Seydoux
    Dave Bautista
    David Oyelowo
    Rachel Brosnahan
    Adam Driver
    Channing Tatum
    Hillary Swank
    Halle Berry

Any word from any of these people on how awful Daniel Craig is?

Well done @TripAces ... lots of frustration boiling over and being projected onto the Boogeman, Daniel Craig.
  • Is James Bond still relevant in the 21st century. Is Boyle leaving, the beginning of the end?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/22/james-bond-danny-boyle-007-spy
    Hang on this just in from Chicken Little the sky is falling I repeat the sky is falling
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Hang on this just in from Chicken Little the sky is falling I repeat the sky is falling

Ha!
  • RC7RC7
    Is James Bond still relevant in the 21st century. Is Boyle leaving, the beginning of the end?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/22/james-bond-danny-boyle-007-spy

Is James Bond still relevant... blah. Don’t know how many times I’ve read this article in the last 25 years.
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    RC7 wrote: »
    Is James Bond still relevant in the 21st century. Is Boyle leaving, the beginning of the end?

Is James Bond still relevant... blah. Don’t know how many times I’ve read this article in the last 25 years.

I agree. He was born out of the Cold War. At the rate things are going politically, we're about to enter a second Cold War. He'll be needed then more than ever, from an entertainment standpoint.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    How ironic that at the height of reboot/remake mania, where every long dead once mildly successful film/tv show is being ripped from the grave, Bond, one of the few franchises that can genuinely adapt to any era, is the one people want to kill off.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 11,139

I rather not go back to the every other year method, not unless there's better quality control involved. The last time the series has a consistent rate of every other year was in the 90s and those were among the weakest of the series. I rather wait three to four years for a quality film than two for a less than mediocre film.

Quality control is the main thing here. Brosnan's movies had 2 year cycles with DAD having 3 and the quality of those films were the way they were because EoN were lazy and simply coasting. It wasn't until Bourne came alongvand showed that spy films could and should be better. EoN have a proclivity of leveraging their success and superior creative craftsmanship of decades gone by when they should be ushering in and producing quality material for contemporary times. Clearly it's not impossible because other films andvfranchises are doing it.

As for waitingv3 to 4 years, its obvious by now that that sort of time has no real bearing on better quality and a conversion for success. SP was trash and marred by production issues despite having a 3 year gap; SF for me was a bit disappointing and that was a 4 year gaps and now with another 4 year gap...possibly a 5 year gap between SP and Bond 25 we're back to a troubled preproduction 12 weeks before shooting. 2, 3, 4 or 5 years, it doesn't matter. What truly matters is having the right, competent people involved in putting these films together.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    ‘Bond 25’ Star Daniel Craig Should Take Over from Exiting Danny Boyle
    https://indiewire.com/2018/08/bond-25-danny-boyle-departure-daniel-craig-what-happens-next-1201996985/

Can't see it happening, especially not with a bub on the way. But it would be interesting to see his take on it all. Or any Bond actors for that matter.
    This fiasco is making the Quantum of Solace and Spectre pre production disasters look like plain sailing by comparison. I hope all this talk of Craig being stroppy is inaccurate. I'd hate for this to ruin his legacy.
    I was actually impressed with how well they were able to pull together QOS considering the limited amount of time and the writer's strike. Maybe every other year is the way to go -- they seem to work better under time constraints, barring the Brosnan era.
    Craig direct? Urgh, leave me out...
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 3,164
    I mean, to the film community/press and more general audiences he appears to be relevant more for its history and legacy than anything else so idk...and for those that want to dive into that, the pre-00s films are readily available in 4K. This is about the worth of making a new, modern-day Bond film now at this moment in time. There's a fair argument to be had there. CR and Skyfall were perfect examples that you could.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited August 2018 Posts: 17,691
    EON is incompetent/Craig is a brat- he should walk away/Campbell is poor director/they are losing their control of the franchise/etc....

Wow, I can't believe some of the negativity. When I think back to how much heat I took here a few short years ago for just saying I didn't think Skyfall was a very good movie... ;)
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Craig direct? Urgh, leave me out...

Would you prefer Zack Snyder