No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• HMBFFHMBFF Lisboa, Portugal
    Just needed to vent my frustration.

cEmNt2Y.png
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    edited August 2018 Posts: 1,755
    What are the chances we get some sort of word from Baz tomorrow evening? Wishful thinking?
  • Bond fan and ‘Rake’ founder, Wei Koh, writes an interesting piece in the latest edition of ‘The Rake’.
    His hypothesis is that now is the time for eon to explode the Bond franchise and to have multiple Bonds running in tandem.
    For instance ‘Young Bond’ on Netflix. ‘Period Bond’ on Amazon Prime . ‘Blockbuster’ Bond on the big screen. ‘The Moneypenny Diaries’ on the BBC. These may not be his exact examples but you get his drift .......
    His point is that there can’t be enough Bond and there shhould be a Bond for every generation ......
    PussyNoMore agrees completely. This tired old strategy of having one big ‘superhero’ blockbuster every two, now three, maybe four or even five years with a one size fits all 007 is played out and stifles creativity.
    Maybe Boyle saw the limit of this (as did Tarantino when he made his pitch) and ultimately fell out with eon because they think they want to change but when the doctor arrives they run a mile.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    @HMBFF , Very cool !
  • kg54mvpkg54mvp USA
    I just want to tell you all, I made a mistake googling James Bond...

The hate the media has because of the "sexist mysoginist poopist anti everything-ist" Bond grinds my gears.

I know we talk a lot about the ignorance of the media, but I hope it doesn't lead to rash decisions like ditching the movies. People are offended by everything, and what I don't get is that it's a work of fiction..why should it offend? Especially if they have a choice to watch or not.

Pitchfork nation is at it's worst.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited August 2018 Posts: 4,554
    doubleoego wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    TROO7 wrote:
    Whoa. This is the first I'm hearing of Craig having disputes with Campbell. What happened there?

This came up earlier in the thread (I'll see if I can find the post and add it here as an edit). Basically Campbell was a strict taskmaster on CR, and Craig did not like his approach. Campbell wanted to direct QOS but was not asked back; he suspects it was because of Craig.

This was not reported by the press -- it was included in a Facebook post by someone in the industry who spoke to Campbell at an event, so make of that what you will.

Look at that...if this is to be believed... then Craig disappointingly comes off like a whiny bitch crying to the headmistress (Babs). In Campbell we have a director who knows Bond clearly better than Craig ever will, does his job effectively and once again not only saves the franchise but delivers Craig's best film in his career and one of the best Bond films in the series and is posted all because little Danny was made to work hard for this film to be a success and for his own good considering the negativity and doubts surrounding his casting.

First of all, all of that is hearsay. There have never been any reports of DC and MC having issues. The only reports that have EVER come out about DC on set is that he is one of the most professional actors in the biz. From Dench to Bardem to Waltz to Mara to Driver. All have sung his praises.

That said, Martin Campbell is a nobody. He's a third-rate director who is now over-the-hill. And, no, he doesn't know Bond better than Craig.

Like I said, if it's to be believed. Secondly, your over the top, irrational disdain for Campbell renders anything you have to say about the guy null and void to me.

I don't have disdain for Campbell. I just don't think he is God's gift to filmmaking. And you know what? Neither does anyone in the film industry.
    kg54mvp wrote: »
    I just want to tell you all, I made a mistake googling James Bond...

The hate the media has because of the "sexist mysoginist poopist anti everything-ist" Bond grinds my gears.

I know we talk a lot about the ignorance of the media, but I hope it doesn't lead to rash decisions like ditching the movies. People are offended by everything, and what I don't get is that it's a work of fiction..why should it offend? Especially if they have a choice to watch or not.

Pitchfork nation is at it's worst.

Indeed. One of the odd misunderstandings of Bond is that he is sexist and mysoginist. With rare exceptions aside, he isn't at all.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    This is more Xander Cage or could fit in a Bond movie? What do you guys think?

A quick reminder, Robbie Maddison was one of the bikers in the SKYFALL PTS.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    TripAces wrote: »
    I don't have disdain for Campbell. I just don't think he is God's gift to filmmaking. And you know what? Neither does anyone in the film industry.

No one said he was. He's far from being a brilliant filmmaker overall but where his strength lies is in his film making when it comes to Bond whether you like it or not.

• edited August 2018 Posts: 11,425
    While I don't despise EON or Babs, and respect what they've achieved commercially, it's hard not to feel frustrated by what appears to be a pattern of poor planning. QoS, SF, SP and now B25 all delayed or plagued by rushed or poorly written screenplays and/or a failure to have a director in place.

I read something earlier about how after CR in 2006 EON had actually hoped to get QoS out in 2007, which led to a rushed production schedule and the inevitable push back to 2008.

If they were looking at putting out films in consecutive years as recently as 2007, how is it a decade later we're looking at 4 to 5 year gaps as standard, and they still don't seem to be able to get their ducks lined up.

I see a lot of people defending EON on here but frankly the excuses are beginning to wear pretty thin.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    edited August 2018 Posts: 972
    I just don't want the film to be delayed. 2019 release please!
    HMBFF wrote: »
    Just needed to vent my frustration.

cEmNt2Y.png

Can you please re do that poster with a Fleming title and the current release date would love for that to be by New background
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Getafix wrote: »

I see a lot of people defending EON on here but frankly the excuses are beginning to wear pretty thin.

They wore thin a long time ago. The blind defence afforded to EoN is nonsense to me. This is an outfit that has serious skin in the industry, they've had enough rodeos to know better. The SP mess and now this whole Boyle fiasco is ameaturish considering EoN's near 60 years experience making these films. Certain contingencies and basic alignment of ducks...nothing. Meanwhile some people want to complain about how other franchises are "copying" Bond. Who cares! Bond aint doing shit right now and until we get a solid and engaging Bond film, its going to be the same old same old...there's a reason prior to Doyle's exit the topic of Bond was focused more on Bond 26 and who the next Bond should be than tge actual pending production of Bond 25.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 3,333
    The big problem is going to be finding a director that’s available to start work straight away, whilst fitting all the other criteria and meeting with Craig’s approval. I think we can safely rule out anymore visionary auteurs, as he/she would slow down production and probably demand rewrites which will result in more butting heads and longer delays. It’s also going to take a strong, iron-willed director who doesn’t rock the boat too much. Most of the established names are either in pre-production on their respective movies or are midway through directing a major picture and won’t be available. So which directors are between jobs that could seriously be considered for the gig? Does anyone have any intelligent and credible thoughts?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited August 2018 Posts: 8,077

They wore thin a long time ago. The blind defence afforded to EoN is nonsense to me. This is an outfit that has serious skin in the industry, they've had enough rodeos to know better. The SP mess and now this whole Boyle fiasco is ameaturish considering EoN's near 60 years experience making these films. Certain contingencies and basic alignment of ducks...nothing. Meanwhile some people want to complain about how other franchises are "copying" Bond. Who cares! Bond aint doing shit right now and until we get a solid and engaging Bond film, its going to be the same old same old...there's a reason prior to Doyle's exit the topic of Bond was focused more on Bond 26 and who the next Bond should be than tge actual pending production of Bond 25.

All true, and it's the devote EON loyalists who pretend like all these catastrophees have nothing to do with EON, and they are just the repeated victims of circumstance. Even Craig's "wrist slash" comments weren't his fault, but the fault of the person who wrote them in an article. EON and Craig aren't accountable for any of their own actions, in some members view. Until we can actually address the problem, MI will continue to trounce Bond and Mr Cruise will be laughing all the way to the bank.
    bondsum wrote: »
    The big problem is going to be finding a director that’s available to start work straight away, whilst fitting all the other criteria and meeting with Craig’s approval. I think we can safely rule out anymore visionary auteurs, as he/she would slow down production and probably demand rewrites which will result in more butting heads and longer delays. It’s also going to take a strong, iron-willed director who doesn’t rock the boat too much. Most of the established names are either in pre-production on their respective movies or are midway through directing a major picture and won’t be available. So which directors are between jobs that could seriously be considered for the gig? Does anyone have any intelligent and credible thoughts?

I'd take Campbell right now. Any one frankly.

Craig seems to be the problem. He won't accept having a journeyman director. He wants an 'auteur' that he feels is on a par with his own immense abilities, but then can't deal with the fact they want to do things their way.

It really feels like he's lost all sense of proportion and his place in the scheme of things. Without Bond he's nothing. He never should have been given the exec producer role and so much power. He is not best placed to know what's best for Bond or frankly even himself.

It all seems like a steaming mess right now. No one really in control. No direction or real vision. Casting around for ideas because the key players don't have any.

Sad.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 386
    Yeah the excuses are indeed wearing thin.

There is a sweet spot where reasonable fan expectation and industry reality can co-exist.

4-5 years for an outgoing and resoundingly successful leading man ain’t hittin’ it.
    Whilst I agree with you that Craig wields too much influence and power, the problem is going to be finding an “auteur” that fits the bill and that’s available to start work straight away and won’t butt heads with their major star. Who’s going to want the job now? Personally, I’d take anyone at this stage also. I just want this production over with so they can move on with finding a new 007 for B26.
    I'm backing Boyle here. Either Craig or Broccoli have dropped the ball big time here. The Russians are the obvious go to villains. The actor who seems to have been up for discussion seems to have been a good candidate.
    bondsum wrote: »
    Whilst I agree with you that Craig wields too much influence and power, the problem is going to be finding an “auteur” that fits the bill and that’s available to start work straight away and won’t butt heads with their major star. Who’s going to want the job now? Personally, I’d take anyone at this stage also. I just want this production over with so they can move on with finding a new 007 for B26.

The auteur who bends over backwards to accommodate his spoilt star and does everything the producer wants is not an auteur.

As you say who is going to want this poisoned chalice now any way?

Time for Craig to walk I think. There's just the stench of drift and failure now around the whole enterprise.

Best things Babs could do is show a bit of famous steel and sack him. I've grown a bit sick of his moaning and prickliness. He's like an ungrateful and vain child. When was the last time he did a proper day's work. He has the work rate of a sloth.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 386
    The optics on Craig, both within the fan base and beyond, are certainly worsening.
    As someone else posted a while back at least 'overpaid' football stars train day in day out and have to perform on the pitch on a weekly basis. Craig takes years out between mamoth pay packets and still moans about his job.
  • bondsum wrote: »
    So which directors are between jobs that could seriously be considered for the gig? Does anyone have any intelligent and credible thoughts?

Spot on. It's not just a question of which director is capable and willing to take on Bond25, it's also a question of who, at this stage, is available. It could be quite a short list

• edited August 2018 Posts: 17,272
    As someone else posted a while back at least 'overpaid' football stars train day in day out and have to perform on the pitch on a weekly basis. Craig takes years out between mamoth pay packets and still moans about his job.

Very true. He certainly doesn't present himself as a man who's happy having the best acting gig in the world. And if he requires to be pampered with a co-producer title and sayings in both the script and the casting department, then EON have put themselves in a difficult position.

I'm not going to hide it; my interest in Bond 25 went more than halfway out the window with the recent Boyle announcement. It might be for the better of course, but why go through so much trouble hiring him in the first place.

Very true. He certainly doesn't present himself as a man who's happy having the best acting gig in the world. And if he requires to be pampered with a co-producer title and sayings in both the script and the casting department, then EON have put themselves in a difficult position.

I'm not going to hide it; my interest in Bond 25 went more than halfway out the window with the recent Boyle announcement. It might be for the better of course, but why go through so much trouble hiring him in the first place.

Exactly. If they wanted to take the risk with Boyle they needed to be willing to swallow a couple of his casting choices. I don't know anything about this Russian villain guy but Boyle's casting has rarely been anything less than fresh - something EON should welcome. CR stands out because with Craig and Green we got two relative unknown leads and it felt like a much needed breath of fresh air. Boyle has a knack for picking lesser known actors or complete newcomers and making them into stars. EON and Craig needed to trust him on that front.

Ditto I suppose Boyle needed to be willing to accept some suggestions on the script and action front.

Who knows though what the real issues were. May be it was just personalities in the end. Which is equally pathetic.

You wonder sometimes whether there are any real grown ups involved in these films any more. There certainly isn't any guiding vision of where they're going.
    I wonder what roles Daniel Craig thinks he will get when he frees himself from 007.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    FWIW I'm on EON's side in this dispute. Seems to me like Boyle is using this casting disagreement as an excuse to leave a project he was inherently incapable of.
    FWIW I'm on EON's side in this dispute. Seems to me like Boyle is using this casting disagreement as an excuse to leave a project he was inherently incapable of.

Thank you glad to see I am not the only one...

Look I am not an Eon apologist (waiting a year for Mendes was extremely dumb considering Spectre was what we got) however I am not going to vilify them or put hexes on them because they are human and make mistakes
    Risico007 wrote: »

Thank you glad to see I am not the only one...

Look I am not an Eon apologist (waiting a year for Mendes was extremely dumb considering Spectre was what we got) however I am not going to vilify them or put hexes on them because they are human and make mistakes

Yes we all make mistakes. Like the dinner lady who makes lumpy custard. Oh well. There EON go again, stumbling through the production of another Bond film for the umpteenth time. They're only human.
  • imranbecks wrote: »
    I just don't want the film to be delayed. 2019 release please!

+1
    No to Idris Elba, No to Tom Hardy. A Final Craig film is what most Bond fans want. Mendes would be my choice to finish Craig's reign, but I would be happy to have Campbell. Alternatively, go for an action director like Gareth "The Raid" Evans, espaecially if it was a YOLT adaption. It does seem gutting that a spanner has been thrown in the works at this stage, just have to hope that the best Bond does not walk.