No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Mathis1 wrote: »
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    I don't think this is a complete disaster. If Bond 25 begins filming in December, that's over three months to hire director, redo screenplay, lock all the production elements into place. Is that so hard to do? If the new director is agreeable and says "yes" to everything I don't see a major problem. If Eon want some arty farty director to deliver a certain vision, then yep, I think there's problems because he may dislike the current screenplay and want changes to accommodate his vision. That could delay the production.

There's studio pressure too. If MGM have to have Bond out next year then who knows, perhaps Barbara Broccoli has to defer to those higher up the chain of command. Eon cannot make the films by itself. Delaying Bond 25 to 2020 may be a complete no-no for MGM.

Agreed. And that's why am wondering is David Mackenzie available?

Mackenzie indeed is, as he just finished Outlaw King which he is premiering at TIFF in a few weeks and it's going out on Netflix and select cinemas in Nocember. Demange is also available as he's done on White Boy Rick.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Getafix wrote: »
    Truth is none of us really know why this has happened but what we do know is that it's a mess and that it isn't out of character for EON to be juggling last minute issues like having no director, no decent script etc.

How is this still the case after 4 years since SP? The longer gaps are presumably to allow them to sort their sh*t out between films but they can't even do that. It's the same situation (to one degree or another) as before QoS, SF and SP all over again.

Okay, productions don't always run smoothly and arguments around the script and casting are presumably normal. But aren't these things the basics? To be tripping up on the same issues again and again, to the extent that they repeatedly lose their director or have rewrite the script extensively at the last minute surely suggests incompetence or lack of interest at some level.

I'd have preferred QOS quality movies every 2 years to what we've had since 2008. It doesn't seem to matter how much time EON has - it's always a last minute cobbled together mess these days.

This.

Also this all reminds me when even Mendes tried to bail on SP close to shooting because he thought the whole thing was a mess But Babs pretty much forced him to stay on and now look; similar scenario except this time the director did bail.
  • My hope is that Boyle's script will form the basis for the new film, that it isn't scrapped and we don't end up with a sub Die Another Day Purvis and Wade effort. Locations, production staff have been chosen to deliver Boyle's vision. Let's stick with it and hopefully still have a new Bond movie by the end of next year. Scrap the Hodge screenplay and I suspect we face delay and possibly an inferior Bond movie.
    EON are stale and tired. Babs should have brought in a professional producing team working for the family to inject new energy with the Brococlis as share holders taking care of the business side.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Bottom line is they are measured on the results. Of late, they have been less than pleasing, at least to me.

We were promised a Boyle directed film with a Hodge script for 2019. That's 4 years after the previous film. Why? The lead actor and the producers said they needed a break. The lead actor then decided to return, by his own admission, in May (or thereabouts) of 2017. He said he wanted to go out on a 'high'. Many here assumed they had a plan at that point. Why would he come back and make such a public boastful announcement if there was no plan, we surmised? There must be a plan.

We then realized that they didn't have one. Directors who they were speaking with for over a year were tossed after his return and they tried to woo names like Villeneuve. That failed. They then tossed out a script by their earlier announced 'go to' team at a late stage. Why? I have no idea, but it appears it's though it's because they couldn't find a director to appease the lead actor. The only one who they could get to do it that satisfied him was Boyle (even though he had expressed doubts about this kind of project before), due to his great 'creative vision' or 'idea'. So they threw everything away to wait for his writer to get something together. Then they made the pitch to the distributor and got it locked. Now this. Why? Who knows really, but from what we're reading, the reasons are somewhat pathetic.

It was Craig who wanted Boyle according to Baz. It was Craig, by his own admission, who wanted them to wait for Mendes. We know the man was a reluctant and spent force after SF (he should have left on a 'high'). It was Craig, by his own admission, who wanted to inject more 'Moore' (as he called it) into SP. This resulted (imho) in one of the worst performances by a Bond actor on film. It was Craig, again by his own admission, who needed a break. It was EON who didn't clean up his 'wrist slash' comments, that had unfettered play in the media for 2 years, day in, day out and created a narrative which lingers to this day while he's the lead.

I'm sure they're trying their best, but it's not good enough. They can certainly do better. There's no doubt about that. Especially after the SP fiasco, a more hands on and controlled approach was necessary for this film. You don't go to Boyle if you want that.

As I said, I measure on results. Get the film out on time. Make sure it's good. If the actor gives you any more demands at this point, sack him and get on with it.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    While I don't despise EON or Babs, and respect what they've achieved commercially, it's hard not to feel frustrated by what appears to be a pattern of poor planning. QoS, SF, SP and now B25 all delayed or plagued by rushed or poorly written screenplays and/or a failure to have a director in place.

I read something earlier about how after CR in 2006 EON had actually hoped to get QoS out in 2007, which led to a rushed production schedule and the inevitable push back to 2008.

If they were looking at putting out films in consecutive years as recently as 2007, how is it a decade later we're looking at 4 to 5 year gaps as standard, and they still don't seem to be able to get their ducks lined up.

I see a lot of people defending EON on here but frankly the excuses are beginning to wear pretty thin.

QoS was affected by the writers' strike. SF was delayed because of MGM's woes. SP is the only one that seems to have been the result of Eon's decisions.
  • Never been a fan of Craig. But now he's just destroying Bond with his silly antics. He should be sacked immediately.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Truth is none of us really know why this has happened but what we do know is that it's a mess and that it isn't out of character for EON to be juggling last minute issues like having no director, no decent script etc.

How is this still the case after 4 years since SP? The longer gaps are presumably to allow them to sort their sh*t out between films but they can't even do that. It's the same situation (to one degree or another) as before QoS, SF and SP all over again.

Okay, productions don't always run smoothly and arguments around the script and casting are presumably normal. But aren't these things the basics? To be tripping up on the same issues again and again, to the extent that they repeatedly lose their director or have rewrite the script extensively at the last minute surely suggests incompetence or lack of interest at some level.

I'd have preferred QOS quality movies every 2 years to what we've had since 2008. It doesn't seem to matter how much time EON has - it's always a last minute cobbled together mess these days.

300% agreed.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    bondjames wrote: »
    Bottom line is they are measured on the results. Of late, they have been less than pleasing, at least to me.

We were promised a Boyle directed film with a Hodge script for 2019. That's 4 years after the previous film. Why? The lead actor and the producers said they needed a break. The lead actor then decided to return, by his own admission, in May (or thereabouts) of 2017. He said he wanted to go out on a 'high'. Many here assumed they had a plan at that point. Why would he come back and make such a public boastful announcement if there was no plan, we surmised? There must be a plan.

We then realized that they didn't have one. Directors who they were speaking with for over a year were tossed after his return and they tried to woo names like Villeneuve. That failed. They then tossed out a script by their earlier announced 'go to' team at a late stage. Why? I have no idea, but it appears it's though it's because they couldn't find a director to appease the lead actor. The only one who they could get to do it that satisfied him was Boyle (even though he had expressed doubts about this kind of project before), due to his great 'creative vision' or 'idea'. So they threw everything away to wait for his writer to get something together. Then they made the pitch to the distributor and got it locked. Now this. Why? Who knows really, but from what we're reading, the reasons are somewhat pathetic.

It was Craig who wanted Boyle according to Baz. It was Craig, by his own admission, who wanted them to wait for Mendes. We know the man was a reluctant and spent force after SF (he should have left on a 'high'). It was Craig, by his own admission, who wanted to inject more 'Moore' (as he called it) into SP. This resulted (imho) in one of the worst performances by a Bond actor on film. It was Craig, again by his own admission, who needed a break. It was EON who didn't clean up his 'wrist slash' comments, that had unfettered play in the media for 2 years, day in, day out and created a narrative which lingers to this day while he's the lead.

I'm sure they're trying their best, but it's not good enough. They can certainly do better. There's no doubt about that. Especially after the SP fiasco, a more hands on and controlled approach was necessary for this film. You don't go to Boyle if you want that.

As I said, I measure on results. Get the film out on time. Make sure it's good. If the actor gives you any more demands at this point, sack him and get on with it.

Succint.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    bondjames wrote: »

Co-signed.
    The more I think about Boyle’s comments and how it will reflect the me too movement the more I kind of feel we may have dodged a golden gun bullet
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Risico007 wrote: »
    The more I think about Boyle’s comments and how it will reflect the me too movement the more I kind of feel we may have dodged a golden gun bullet

Well, we can only speculate what Boyle's intentions may have been. Something explicit or mere subtext? But either way, I agree. It's probably a good thing that such themes remain relegated to low-intellect media like Twitter, Facebook and the average tabloids.
  • I believe it's a massive achievement to have kept the Bond series going over 24 films and 56 years. The quality is variable but on the whole, a series to be proud of. I don't like the hate being directed at Barbara Broccoli. She and Michael Wilson have kept Cubby's beloved series going. It's clearly become harder to come up with new ideas and to keep all fans happy. We don't really know why Boyle walked but we must have a little faith that Bond 25 will be delivered on time. That means keeping the Hodge screenplay as the basis for the new film.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Never been a fan of Craig. But now he's just destroying Bond with his silly antics. He should be sacked immediately.

How do you know Boyle leaving has anything to do with Daniel Craig?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Never been a fan of Craig. But now he's just destroying Bond with his silly antics. He should be sacked immediately.

Right or wrong, the rumor is that Craig vetoed Boyle's choice of actor who was to play the Russian villain.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Where does this hate for Barbara Broccoli come from? She's been producing the films for 22 years at least and with only really one exception (DAD), we've had good to great films.

Cubby left his Bond empire to both his kids, they're both responsible for its highs and lows,.
    I have the upmost respect for Barbara Broccoli and MGW. I just wish they would stop kowtowing to Craig.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    talos7 wrote: »

Right or wrong, the rumor is that Craig vetoed Boyle's choice of actor who was to play the Russian villain.

" The rumour"

I’m just curious as to how Hodge and Boyle supposedly touched upon the #MeToo and Time's Up movement within their script. If the latest rumours are to believed, this is one of the reasons as to why the script was having problems. Does anyone have any clue as to how Hodge’s could incorporate these #MeToo and Time's Up themes into a Bond story? I mean, did the story in someways involve Bond attending a disciplinary hearing on sexual harassment charges?
    Well since we are believing tabloids maybe tonight I will watch Risico with the Olsen Twins as Bond girls and Al Pachino as the villain
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    edited August 2018 Posts: 2,635
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/22/james-bond-danny-boyle-007-spy?CMP=edit_2221
    [...] First there was Daniel Craig’s diva-ish remark that he’d “rather slash [his] wrists” than play Bond again [...]

It still bothers the f*** out of me when people STILL DO BELIEVE that Craig ACTUALLY did say that as a real thing. I do get really, REALLY pi55ed off.

People can't give a damn to realize that Craig was very tired after Spectre production and he said that as a joke. He NEVER meant that as he is still Bond, but I see people rather be ignorant than trying to see what he was really trying to say there. I'd hope it wouldn't be needed as I never thought that tabloids and idiotic news reporters were that dumb (I'm not talking in general, I might add), but I hope that Craig clears out what that phrase was about and people stop talking s**t out of that.

Sorry for the swearing, I really needed an outburst.
  • RC7RC7
    bondsum wrote: »
    I’m just curious as to how Hodge and Boyle supposedly touched upon the #MeToo and Time's Up movement within their script. If the latest rumours are to believed, this is one of the reasons as to why the script was having problems. Does anyone have any clue as to how Hodge’s could incorporate these #MeToo and Time's Up themes into a Bond story? I mean, did the story in someways involve Bond attending a disciplinary hearing on sexual harassment charges?

I’d like to think it wasn’t that overt. It strikes me as PR BS to keep the loonies at bay. Essentially I guess it would just mean Bond wasn’t quite so forceful. Or perhaps they planned a little nod to AVTAK - an inevitable bonking - hard cut to Craig removing a quiche from the oven.
  • I love and respect Barabara and Michael, but they are responsible for this disaster: afeter 3 years, they have two completely different scripts and no director.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I believe it's a massive achievement to have kept the Bond series going over 24 films and 56 years. The quality is variable but on the whole, a series to be proud of. I don't like the hate being directed at Barbara Broccoli. She and Michael Wilson have kept Cubby's beloved series going. It's clearly become harder to come up with new ideas and to keep all fans happy. We don't really know why Boyle walked but we must have a little faith that Bond 25 will be delivered on time. That means keeping the Hodge screenplay as the basis for the new film.

This... and....
    Where does this hate for Barbara Broccoli come from? She's been producing the films for 22 years at least and with only really one exception (DAD), we've had good to great films.

Cubby left his Bond empire to both his kids, they're both responsible for its highs and lows,.

This... And...
    Well since we are believing tabloids maybe tonight I will watch Risico with the Olsen Twins as Bond girls and Al Pachino as the villain

This...

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    rumour
    DCisared wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »

" The rumour"

Yes, that's what I said
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

Al Pacino would actually make a great Bond Villain.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 212
    From the Bond Experience Facebook Page

http://www.facebook.com/TheBondExperience

As to the fallout occuring becaise of the villain casting: OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT from the manager of Tomasz Kot:

"Odnosząc się do doniesień medialnych dotyczących napięć na linii Danny Boyle – Daniel Craig, które miałyby być konsekwencją różnych wizji artystycznych obu Panów, i które miałyby dotyczyć ewentualnego udziału Pana Tomasza Kota w najnowszym „Jamesie Bondzie”, pragniemy stwierdzić, że nie dysponujemy żadną wiedzą na ten temat i nie wiemy co obu Panów poróżniło. Natomiast prawdą jest, że Tomasz Kot został poproszony przez reżysera o przygotowanie kilku scen, w których interpretował ostatnie role czarnych charakterów, co zrobił z wielką przyjemnością. Kwestie obsadowe leżą wyłącznie po stronie producentów oraz reżysera. Nie otrzymaliśmy żadnego oficjalnego stanowiska wyżej wymienionych podmiotów, wobec czego nie możemy odnosić się do informacji uzyskanych wyłącznie za pośrednictwem przekazów medialnych.

Lucyna Kobierzycka,
    Kot, Tomasz Kot…"

George Zareba translation:
    "Addressing the rumors in the news regarding the misunderstandings between Danny Boyle and Daniel Craig, supposedly caused by some creative differences between both gentlemen regarding the eventual hiring of Tomasz Kot in the new "James Bond", we would like to announce that we have no knowledge in that matter and we have no clue what disunited both gentlemen.

Truth is however that Tomasz Kot has been asked by the director to prepare a couple of scenes, in which he interpreted roles of the last few villains, which he has done with absolute pleasure.

Casting decisions stay purely with the producers and the director. We didn't get any official message from the aforementioned parties, in which case we are unable to address the information only spread by the media."

Link here: https://www.facebook.com/90714750265274 … 429528578/

SPECIAL THANKS TO George Zareba for this information!
    Ben Wheatley would be interesting

I walked out of kill list