The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    WalterSobchak_nWiORRW8E2,q150.jpg
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Need to do another group viewing soon!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    SP really f****ed things up x what stupidity,mainly destroying MI6 Vauxhall Cross which didn’t have a problem at the end of SF...
    Baz, we didn't see Vauxhall HQ at the end of SF (it was the Dept. of Energy building as the new MI6). For all we know, Vauxhall HQ was already taped off by then.
    ...ruined the Craig era in one stroke
    So THAT is why B25 is doomed to fail... It all makes sense now! :))

;)

Seriously, we can see the exterior of MI6 being some other location in B25 (as done many times before, and as recent as SF) - and then, when B26 arrives in 10 years time... we'll see Vauxhall again and no one will bat an eyelid.
    QBranch wrote: »
    SP really f****ed things up x what stupidity,mainly destroying MI6 Vauxhall Cross which didn’t have a problem at the end of SF...
    Baz, we didn't see Vauxhall HQ at the end of SF (it was the Dept. of Energy building as the new MI6). For all we know, Vauxhall HQ was already taped off by then.
    ...ruined the Craig era in one stroke
    So THAT is why B25 is doomed to fail... It all makes sense now! :))

;)

Seriously, we can see the exterior of MI6 being some other location in B25 (as done many times before, and as recent as SF) - and then, when B26 arrives in 10 years time... we'll see Vauxhall again and no one will bat an eyelid.

Aaah did I type that ? Me and my pissed Saturday night rants !!
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    God, Moonraker is such a beautiful-looking film. The most beautiful-looking Bond film ever made. I'll wrestle anyone who disagrees. Ken Adam, you genius, you.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    God, Moonraker is such a beautiful-looking film. The most beautiful-looking Bond film ever made. I'll wrestle anyone who disagrees. Ken Adam, you genius, you.

The expense involved it should be !

The location costs alone were astronomical,but yes,its visually nice.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 17,294
    mattjoes wrote: »

OHMSS and TB says "hi"! MR is a great looking film though. No doubt about that.
    Took a break for awhile and now I'm back in action again..............

THUNDERBALL

Gunbarrel- Sean does the walk casually. I wonder how many takes he did to get this shot? I actually like his version of this scene. One thing about the Binder filmed GB's, each one was distinctive to their actor. Pierce's looked a bit too choreographed and rehearsed to me, like a stage play dance number. Too perfect if that makes sense.

The one element I like about the Craig gunbarrels...............

WHOA, WHOA! stop right there......................... am I about to say something POSITIVE about the Craig gunbarrels??

this is rare....

here we go...

I like the fact Craig, after nearly 30 years, had brought back Bond in a traditional suit rather than the obligatory dinner suit for his gunbarrels. A throwback to Connery/Laze and early Roger.

Great PTS and titles.

Now THIS is a SPECTRE board meeting. I find the one in SP criminally overrated.
    Bond smoothly wraps his arms around Patricia and plants a kiss. I remember watching this with my Grandpa back in '89, and he thought that scene was funny.
    I should try that next time I have a doctor's visit and see what happens.

Bond is on the rack. This scene is hilarious.

You don't mean..................oh, no.

the ABC network cut right on that shot of Molly.
    Paul Stassino. He's in five episodes of THE SAINT.

Just looking him up..............damn we lost him back in 2012.

Great character actor. Also in ESCAPE TO ATHENA with Roger.

and THE STRANGERS OF BOMBAY Hammer film.

Here is my evil, satanic 6,666th post. I should really be commenting on a Hammer horror on the other thread for this.

One of the things I love about the '60's Bonds is seeing some of the Hammer film actors grace Bond with their appearance. Martine Beswick in this one for example.

When Bond pulls the cord to open the curtains it sounds like a cat's growl.

Connery uses his elbow a lot. To set off the fire alarm, to turn on the light switch (in FRWL). I do that too.

Derval's double takes over the plane and lands it in the water.
    Some airport employee in Seattle did something similar the other day. Stole a plane, flew it around, crashed it into an island and got killed. Social media comments make him out to be a hero.

I used find this section of TB a bit dull, bit I'm loving it here. Great Barry score.
    Domino!!! My fave Bond girl.

The location where they lunch on conch chowder is apparently now demolished. One of the documentaries on the CR Blu-ray showed this spot to be in bad shape.

I wonder how many THUNDERBALL locations in the Bahamas remains as they were in 1965? I've never been there.
    Bond sneaking around Palmyra at night. One of my favorite scenes in the film.

He's got you shooting at each other!

"Sorry old chap. Better luck next time"

That's the version I've seen in the cinema.

For some reason the 2006 DVD has both versions one on the stereo and the other on the mono track, yet the Blu-ray only retains the "Sorry old chap. Better luck next time" line.
    The Blu-ray version of TB leaves out dialogue? Why?

The version where Bond says "Now you can tell about the one that got away" isn't on the Blu-ray, but on the UE DVD from 2006.
    Most VHS versions of TB up until 1995 used that line instead. There are several differences in dialogue dubbing throughout the various versions of TB.
    Largo's "You have given me much pleasure, Domino" speech has different dubbing. Some other lines had differences as well.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

The version where Bond says "Now you can tell about the one that got away" isn't on the Blu-ray, but on the UE DVD from 2006.
    Most VHS versions of TB up until 1995 used that line instead. There are several differences in dialogue dubbing throughout the various versions of TB.
    Largo's "You have given me much pleasure, Domino" speech has different dubbing. Some other lines had differences as well.

Never heard about that, and TB is one of my favourite films! Very interesting!

The Ian Fleming Foundation fan magazine GOLDENEYE did a great article on the various versions of THUNDERBALL back in '94. There were detailed desciptions of the various differences in dialogue tone and dubbing. Some copies miss that bit where Leiter says (in Pinder's voice) "Manta Ray! Unusual to find them as far out as this!"

Very interesting. One theory is that some versions were for the U.S. release and others across the Atlantic.
    In addition, those early VHS versions lacked music during that brief underwater struggle after Bond has disguised himself as a SPECTRE agent and is caught.
    Going to traffic court in a bit, so I need some inspiration here. What better than to watch Connery wreck some vehicles in that Mustang in...

DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER

PTS- the mud is really mashed potatoes.

I always thought Connery looked great in that black polo and brown tween jacket.

Terence Mountain.

Welcome to hell, Blofeld.

The cat's meow is different in the stereo version than the mono. For some reason it was re-recorded when mixed digitally. The mono is the true recording of the cat's sound.

I love the titles. Colour by TECHNICOLOR. The Blu-ray uses the UK transfer. In the US prints it read Color by TECHINICOLOR.

When I was a kid I noticed most the Bond films used the British spelling, which I thought looked cooler. Yes, even at 10 I was nit picky about the little details.

I love the M scene.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Going to traffic court in a bit, so I need some inspiration here.

Did you turn right where it wasn t allowed?
    The barber I went to as a kid looked like Dr Tynan. I must have taken several photos of Roger in LALD and Sean in TB to him and said "cut it like that". He was my barber well into my mid twenties.$3 a cut for years. He only raised it to $4 in the years I went to him. Old school. Been cutting hair since 1946.
    Even if one had hair like Mr Kidd, you could take in a picture of Roger and walk away satisfied he was that good.

Great Moneypenny scene, IMO. That's all it takes. Just a brief flirtatious encounter and I'm satisfied. No Scooby gang necessary.
    Going to traffic court in a bit, so I need some inspiration here.

Did you turn right where it wasn t allowed?

Haha! The officer had someone pulled over on the expressway. I didn't move into the left lane as I passed him. Unaware that was a rule. I should have tried to turn my car over and drive on the left wheels.
    Looks like Lazenby's Aston Martin Q branch is installing missiles into.

The Peter Franks fight. I like Joe Robinson's facial expressions here. He picks up some glass. His long nails look like Roger's. I wonder if that was a '70's thing?

Another great expression as Sean throws him from the elevator.

We see Bond's wallet here. When I was a kid I made sure to get a black leather wallet like Sean's. Everyone else had nylon Velcro wallets back then.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    The mono recording of the cats meow is much better. Lol more evil.
    I read that the mash went off, and smelt pretty bad.
    Terence Mountain.
    I think the other henchman there (the one with the long sideburns who gets his fingers caught in the trap) was also in OHMSS, searching for Bond in the crowd during the ice skating scene.
    I love the M scene.
    Same, especially when M rolls his eyes. "We do function in your absence, Commander."
    Remington wrote: »
    The mono recording of the cats meow is much better. Lol more evil.

I agree. More like a cat about to attack as opposed to a cat in pain.

I suppose it's like the door opening sound as Largo enters the SPECTRE board meeting in TB. That sound effect was added when the film was digitally restored. For SUPERMAN THE MOVIE's original DVD release, some sound effects were added: the buttons tearing off during the \S/ reveal for instance.
    Kind of fun to compare the differences, but ultimately I prefer the original audio recordings. This could could be a topic for a new thread, if there isn't already one. Bond DVD/Blu-ray audio differences.

I'm at the point in DIAMONDS where Bond is confronting Blofeld, and is about to be placed in the lift. The word lobby begins with L.

...........and Bond is buried in the desert.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 13,942
    His long nails look like Roger's. I wonder if that was a '70's thing?
    Not keen on the long nails look on guys. Craig's are too short. Dalton's were a good length. I work with a couple of guys whose nails are way too long. If I tell them, I fear I may get scratched.
    We see Bond's wallet here. When I was a kid I made sure to get a black leather wallet like Sean's. Everyone else had nylon Velcro wallets back then.
    Well done. A mate of mine who is nearly 40 still swears by the velcro wallet because they're thinner than the leather type, and shook his head at me when he saw I had a leather one. I've been using leather wallets since I left high school. They look classy, as opposed to tacky...

The Ian Fleming Foundation fan magazine GOLDENEYE did a great article on the various versions of THUNDERBALL back in '94. There were detailed desciptions of the various differences in dialogue tone and dubbing. Some copies miss that bit where Leiter says (in Pinder's voice) "Manta Ray! Unusual to find them as far out as this!"

Very interesting. One theory is that some versions were for the U.S. release and others across the Atlantic.
    In addition, those early VHS versions lacked music during that brief underwater struggle after Bond has disguised himself as a SPECTRE agent and is caught.

Very interesting trivia! Need to get myself a TB Blu-ray to compare with the DVD release I have. Also have the early (1993-ish) VHS release, but sadly, no functioning VHS player.

Very interesting trivia! Need to get myself a TB Blu-ray to compare with the DVD release I have. Also have the early (1993-ish) VHS release, but sadly, no functioning VHS player.

On the DVD, I believe it's the mono track that features the "Now you can tell about the one that got away" line as he exits the shark pool. The Blu-ray only has the "Sorry old chap" line on both tracks.
    Another big difference is in the early VHS releases (pre GOLDENEYE era), the film ends with a THUNDERBALL-esque version of the Bond theme. It's seamless and sounds great, IMO. On all the Blu-ray/DVD tracks it cuts to the DR NO recording.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 15,818
    QBranch wrote: »
    I read that the mash went off, and smelt pretty bad.
    Terence Mountain.
    I think the other henchman there (the one with the long sideburns who gets his fingers caught in the trap) was also in OHMSS, searching for Bond in the crowd during the ice skating scene.
    I love the M scene.
    Same, especially when M rolls his eyes. "We do function in your absence, Commander."

That's right! He is in OHMSS. Brief shot of him.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 17,294

On the DVD, I believe it's the mono track that features the "Now you can tell about the one that got away" line as he exits the shark pool. The Blu-ray only has the "Sorry old chap" line on both tracks.
    Need to check if my DVD collection has the mono setting. Can be interesting to check this with the next viewing.
    Another big difference is in the early VHS releases (pre GOLDENEYE era), the film ends with a THUNDERBALL-esque version of the Bond theme. It's seamless and sounds great, IMO. On all the Blu-ray/DVD tracks it cuts to the DR NO recording.

Can't seem to remember noticing this myself. Usually quite quick to turn of the film as the end credits starts (by habit), so that may be the reason.