The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    I like Whitaker's intro. It comes at the perfect time, right after an action sequence, this meeting between Pushkin and Whitaker let's the film breathe and adds a layer to it...

Whitaker's a weasel...

And it's revealed that we now know Pushkin's on our side.

Vienna-- looks beautiful... Yes, this is a well shot film!

The horse-drawn carriage scene with Kara and Bond is @barryt007 favourite scene. Rumour has it, he gets teary-eyed as he sees Bond's feelings for Kara start to emerge...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Koskov surrounded by giggling models... While Necros works on his swimming strokes-- yes, Necros, like Vargas before him, has no interest in any of these earthly delights...

Whitaker's like a rat backed into a corner. He's a fat, loud bully... A scheming and traitorous SOB; he'll work with anyone so long as he makes a buck. No morals, or business ethics... Hmmm reminds me of someone...

• peterpeter Toronto
    Bond is cagey with Saunders. Doesn't reveal anything to him, but still gets him on board. This is Bond taking action and having people follow!

Bond takes the shooting game at the carnival a little too seriously...

Uh-oh... one of my least favourite scenes ever... The Wheel... I know @barryt007 loves the "Don't think, just let it happen".... but, ugh, it still makes me cringe...

The best thing about this is the looming figure of Necros and his balloons (a nice plant for later when Bond thinks he's chasing after him...)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Everything about Saunders death, from Dalton's palpable anger (he was just getting to like this bureaucratic ninny), popping the balloon, to chasing after Necros, to Bond pulling his gun on a little boy, and his reaction of horror, to turning to ice with Kara, is brilliant...

• peterpeter Toronto
    Bond waiting for Pushkin... Waving away the street performers impatiently, finally paying them off to move away... Following Pushkin to the hotel...

He likes Pushkin-- and that's seen when he smiles after Pushkin kisses his mistress goodbye...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Confronting Pushkin-- one really great scene after another. This has been a terrific viewing of TLD so far. Apart from the car chase, this is a tight spy/thriller film.

Bond is the assassin in this scene. An assassin with a very, very, very strong instinct.

Hiding behind the door... Gun at the ready... The professional he is... Taking no chances-- Pushkin's rolled onto the bed, his mistress is tamed by the silencer aimed at her...

And great humour:

"I take it that this is not a social call, 007"
    "Correct. You should have brought lilies"-- Dalton, like Craig, can pull that dark, sardonic humour. Leave one line quips to Roger...

Bond's not playing around-- Pushkin, friend or no friend, he just pulled a stupid move, and Bond makes him feel it with a shot to the liver.

I love the quick-thinking-- forcefully strips the mistress (would never happen today, but, seriously, Bond has seconds and uses her to distract the guard. That's a brilliant move, Mr. Bond!)

Pushkin on his knees. He thinks he's a dead man.

And it's like Bond plays him, makes him sweat-- when Pushkin says he does not kill without reason, Bond gives him TWO reasons (two of our agents are dead. Koskov named you).

I like how Pushkin gets on Bond's page-- he decides... he "must die"

and then the bang-bang-bang into the assassination sequence. Well crafted and edited...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I've always loved the assassination scene.

Necros is there, but, almost to his dismay, Pushkin is killed before he has a chance to pull the trigger. He shines the spotlight onto Bond--

The chase scene to catch Pushkin's killer-- I like the foot-chase, however, I've never understood one shot...: As Bond's escaping, he jumps from one rooftop to another, and below, watching, is a group of what look like left-over extras from Octopussy??

I didn't know Tangiers was a hot-spot town for a bunch of scantily dressed white women to just be hanging out...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Bond gets picked up/kidnapped... and taken to the worst Felix in Bond history (what the hell are you trying to do, 007 start. world. war. three?)...

How did Kara get Whitaker's phone number???

• peterpeter Toronto
    I love Bond being drugged... with consciousness leaving him, he quickly puts Kara back on point...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    peter wrote: »
    ??

I didn't know Tangiers was a hot-spot town for a bunch of scantily dressed white women to just be hanging out...

When I was in Tangiers, there were several tourists there. I even encountered a blind British woman who had travelled there alone.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Kara actually looks kinda hot dressed as a nurse...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I like everything on the Hercules.... and Koskov's betrayal of Kara...

Bond battles the fat piggy in the jail... I do like that leg to the crotch move, though...

• peterpeter Toronto
    Bond and the mujahideen!

Afghanistan looks incredible... Once again, nicely shot...

After the men have the meeting, Bond gets called a horse's ass and Peter cringes...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Amazing desert shots...

Bond looks great in disguise (far better than when he tried to pull off being Japanese...)

I like Bond's quick thinking scheme-- blowing up the shipment of opium...

Uh-oh: Kara Milovy, action hero. Knows how to take a gun from a terrorist-- I mean a freedom fighter-- and ride horses across the desert, all to save the man she loves!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yes, the pacing is a little laboured at the moment. Barry's music keeps things moving..

Tim's Bond was very quick on his feet: he's told to get off the plane. Comes face to face with Koskov and reacts fast (and fierce).

Mujahideen to the rescue!

Necros and Koskov rolling around on the tarmac, while Kara kicks a little ass (easie-peasie)

• peterpeter Toronto
    edited August 2018 Posts: 8,507
    Kara's thrown off the horse. Recovers. Steals a jeep. Tries to run over her ex. Battles with a trained Russian soldier. Kicks his ass with two back hand slaps and windshield wipers. Dodges Necros' attack... Is there anything she CAN'T do?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    She is Bond s equal.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    did Bond say

F*&(*&^ Hell?

• peterpeter Toronto
    I'm a sucker for ticking time bombs, so I've always liked the Necros fight scene and think they do a pretty terrific job of practical stunts, edited with studio shots.

• peterpeter Toronto
    Bond's foinale at Whitaker's compound. Again, this never bothered me... I like this mano a mano...

I think I've read members complaining about Bond not shooting Whitaker in the body... But Whitaker is wearing body armour...

Love the toy cannon attack and dalton's face...

If anything, I wanted another beat or two in this final confrontation, before Bond kills him...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I could honestly do without the "funny" conclusion... I'd rather M and Gogol meet Kara after the concert. She thinks Bond's away on assignment. Goes back to her dressing room to find him waiting for her-- and skip all that Kamran and his men bursting through the lobby...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Over all a very nice viewing of TLD... And Tim really did create his own character and was not shackled by the recent retirement of Moore. He dove in head first and played Bond the way he wanted to play him. I'd say he left everything "in the ring"...
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Kara never should have left Europe. Her presence reallly hurts that third act.
    Her presence ruins the film full stop .
    TLD would be waaay higher up my list if she wasn’t in it.

• peterpeter Toronto
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Kara never should have left Europe. Her presence reallly hurts that third act.

Agreed.... Bond goes off for the final battles; once the job is done, he could have found his way back to kara, for one last hurrah
    Great posts @peter!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Thanks @ToTheRight — I learned from you! Love reading your in the moment thoughts while you’re watching Bond!!
    Thanks @ToTheRight — I learned from you! Love reading your in the moment thoughts while you’re watching Bond!!

Thanks! I appreciate it. It's a fun thread-putting down immediate thoughts as the movie plays- intuitive improvisation.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Bond's foinale at Whitaker's compound. Again, this never bothered me... I like this mano a mano...

I think I've read members complaining about Bond not shooting Whitaker in the body... But Whitaker is wearing body armour...

Love the toy cannon attack and dalton's face...

If anything, I wanted another beat or two in this final confrontation, before Bond kills him...

I enjoy this scene. The setting reminds me of Scaramanga's funhouse. It's not a long fight, but Bond has quite a hard time dealing with Whitaker. I do agree the scene could've gone on for a bit more.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I agree...

And now I watch L2K.

Huge Barry fan and wished that at least TSWLM and FYEO was conducted by him... However, I like what Kamen did with the gun barrel. Slices through like a knife and with a guitar riff. I like it.

PTS: some very TV staginess-- lighting and directing. The angry uncle to the bride-- and the bride herself-- should never have made it into a Bond film.

BUT Sanchez and his goons make an impact. And immediately: What did he promise you? His heart? Give her his heart...

And did anyone notice the way del Toro slinked into this seedy motel room? He's perfect slime...

The airfield scene/ slo-mo scene: @ColonelSun can tell you why they chose to slow down this moment (it's crazy and absurd, and, downright silly and harkens back to the Moore days. Thank Dog they didn't do what they were going to do!... BUT... this sequence is pretty amazing as soon as--

The hat is shot out of Bond's hands--

And seriously: Tim was the best Bond at reactions: when that hat is shot out of his grip, he's pissed right away and starts firing back ("like a Boss").

And Kamen's music is powerful and adds to the action with thumping sounds with Bond's jump from the helicopter and gunshots (BH-BH... BH-BH.... into quick Bond theme)....

I like Dalton Bond lets bad guys ru away so he can check on the girl (Lupe)..

But... when the Big Bad is revealed to be escaping in a plane-- Bond literally jumps into action (beating everyone back to the helicopter)...

"Let's Go Fishing" is a great stunt that Nolan expanded on.... and Kamen does wonderfully with the Bond theme.

When L2K was released, I accepted the Gladys Knight song-- but, I WAS not a fan.... In my old age, I now enjoy it immensely...

However, the credits look cheeze and lazy...

• peterpeter Toronto
    Jeezassssss: the one million dollar bribe interrogation scene looks like its on an ST:TOS disbanded set. Very bad lighting and set design. TLD was only two years before??