The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

The Pola scene does slow the film down a bit.
    I think she has more screen time that Monica Bellucci had in SP.
    Whenever I see City Hall here think of Clint in THE ENFORCER.
    Barry's score really helps this fight scene.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I liked THE ENFORCER when it was released, but it doesn't stand up next to the first two. The last couple were crap.

I grew to like SUDDEN IMPACT quite a bit. The first is my favorite.
    I love Roger's expression when she says "I hope not"
    The first is an actual film of quality. The rest were cash grabs. But Ted Post made some quality sequels that should have sucked; BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES and MAGNUM FORCE.

I should revisit some of the Planet of the Apes films. It's been decades for me. I haven't seen any of the newer films either.
    JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMES!!!!!
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 15,818
    What used to be my least favorite presentation of the "Bond, James Bond" line.

until TWINE.

ToTheRight wrote: »
    The first is an actual film of quality. The rest were cash grabs. But Ted Post made some quality sequels that should have sucked; BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES and MAGNUM FORCE.

I should revisit some of the Planet of the Apes films. It's been decades for me. I haven't seen any of the newer films either.

Newer ones aren't worth a damn. More money, but they miss the point. the irony and horror is replaced with 21st century sentimentality. The first four (forget BATTLE) are wonderful.

I tend to have a problem with updated 21st century versions of classic franchises. Too many miss the point and lack the charm of the earlier films.
    What used to be my least favorite presentation of the "Bond, James Bond" line.

until TWINE.

My tops are DN, LALD and CR.

Those are my favorites as well. I'd add GF.
    The entire section with the draw bridge could have been cut.

I kind of like it, though just for the officers laughing at the captain's expense.
    Pierce's GE reading makes me think he practiced it all morning in front of a mirror.

For me, though it's the adding of the word "THE" in the line that doesn't work. Completely odd quibble, but I prefer him to say "MY name is Bond......"
    I think I like his TND reading the best.
    This is one of my favorite piece of Barry music in the series.
    I like the goofy one in TWINE.

I'm probably the only fan who likes Sean's apologetic reading to Domino in NSNA.
    Zorin slaughters everyone. I can remember this scene really disturbed my mom the afternoon my folks took me to see this one. She thought it was way too violent for a Roger film.
    Yet, she wasn't bothered at all by Leiter's shark torture in LTK later.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 15,818
    I think my mother just preferred Timothy as Bond.
    Grace Jones isn't much of an actress, but she sur tis visually striking and I dig that death look she gives Zorin. Priceless.

Grace was great here. I couldn't picture anyone else in the part. I do wonder, who might have played MayDay, had she not been available?
    My favorite of Roger's "OOOOOOHHROOOH" scenes.
    Grace Jones isn't much of an actress, but she sur tis visually striking and I dig that death look she gives Zorin. Priceless.

Grace was great here. I couldn't picture anyone else in the part. I do wonder, who might have played MayDay, had she not been available?

It seems written for her. It would have to have been a completely different character.

I think so.
    Easily one of my favorite endings to a Bond.

Stacey's screaming doesn't bug me anymore like it used to.
    Mortner makes some strange sounds before he blows up.
    I wonder how far a drop that is from the top of the bridge tower?
    That was a blast! Definitely lets do that again soon.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 13,942
    Missed this group viewing, but read through the comments.
    Zorin slaughters everyone.
    It always amused me how Zorin, when he's massacring in the mine, appears to be talking to himself - or at least just flapping his lips while he's shooting. You see this just after he kicks the guy off the edge and laughs.
    I even know where that spa in Japantown is (or was).
    I planned to make a prop business card for the spa. Just found the address is 1709 Buchanan St.

Also, in the spa scene, Bond handles the stereo with wet hands, like a little zap of electricity wouldn't tickle his Tchaikovsky. Very naughty.
    Couldn't join the group viewing as it was in the middle of night here. Might try to make a future viewing!

Reading the comments made me want to watch AVTAK again. I won't even call it a guilty pleasure, I just really like that film.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I feel the same way about DAD.
    Skyfall just on ...
    SF finished n nothing much to say ....SF was awesome n set up the series brilliantly...SP really f****ed things up x what stupidity,mainly destroying MI6 Vauxhall Cross which didn’t have a problem at the end of SF ,ruined the Craig era in one stroke among lots of other cock ups in the same film x anyway SF brilliant as ever .