No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    It was just a random thought that came into my head and yeah @barryt007 I know it's less likely going to happen
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I just thought of something though it won't likely what if part of boyle's unique idea was that MI6 was corrupted and Ralph Fiennes as M was working with the main villain to kill bond and bring down the UK does that sound farfetched?

Sounds like a terrible idea tbh. I'd like to see a proper functioning corrupt-free MI6 get on with completing whatever the mission is. No organizational moles or double agents. It's tired and played out. This a perfect opportunity for Bond to do something different.
    It was just a random thought that came into my head and yeah @barryt007 I know it's less likely going to happen

All ideas welcome matey !

• bondjames wrote: »
    Honestly, I'm not even remotely interested in Annapurna's activities. Universal is where the action is and I trust they will continue with Bond post-B25.

I rhink it would make sense for Annapurna and MGM to merge (buy out the hedge funds that own MGM). But given how volatile Hollywood is right now, who knows?
    I like the idea of a corrupted M working with the main villain. And Bond missing presumed dead at the end with no epilogue showing Bond with the girl. Then introduceTom Hardy in the next film.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    I like the idea of a corrupted M working with the main villain. And Bond missing presumed dead at the end with no epilogue showing Bond with the girl. Then introduceTom Hardy in the next film.

8fc61653fd7ccb82a3ebe84a7c235041.jpg
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

I'm going to say no to all of that. Sorry.
    No more corrupt members of the secret service, or someone coming back from their past.
    Bond has been missing presumed dead before at the end.
    And in no way do I want Tom Hardy as the next Bond. No idea where people get the idea he'd be a good OO7. Good actor, maybe a villain, but not Bond.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    8fc61653fd7ccb82a3ebe84a7c235041.jpg
    Good one. I agree with Benny - the traitorous agent angle is stale.

@jake24, will you be updating page 1 with the news from my post on the previous page?
    Benny wrote: »

No more corrupt members of the secret service, or someone coming back from their past.
    And in no way do I want Tom Hardy as the next Bond. No idea where people get the idea he'd be a good OO7. Good actor, maybe a villain, but not Bond.

My post SPECTRE pessimism makes me feel Boyle's "great idea" could be something along those lines. A corrupt MI6 leading to a "personal" mission, with a decidedly non Bondian ending for the film that would probably fit right in with what other franchises may be doing.
    As for Tom Hardy, I'd say 98% of the photos I've seen of him in no way suggest to me James Bond. I have to actually see a photo of him sans facial hair, with a Bondian haircut to imagine him in the role. That pretty much applies to every name mentioned as a possible heir to the licence since SPECTRE.
    The only photos I've seen of Aidan Turner that make him resemble Bond are from that AND THEN THERE WERE NONE series.
    I hope the next actor that does take the role actually looks like a Bond in his every day life. Sean did (then), same with Roger, Tim and especially Pierce.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    ToTheRight wrote: »

My post SPECTRE pessimism makes me feel Boyle's "great idea" could be something along those lines. A corrupt MI6 leading to a "personal" mission, with a decidedly non Bondian ending for the film that would probably fit right in with what other franchises may be doing.
    As for Tom Hardy, I'd say 98% of the photos I've seen of him in no way suggest to me James Bond. I have to actually see a photo of him sans facial hair, with a Bondian haircut to imagine him in the role. That pretty much applies to every name mentioned as a possible heir to the licence since SPECTRE.
    The only photos I've seen of Aidan Turner that make him resemble Bond are from that AND THEN THERE WERE NONE series.
    I hope the next actor that does take the role actually looks like a Bond in his every day life. Sean did (then), same with Roger, Tim and especially Pierce.

Look no further than Henry Cavill ;)

That is a plus in his favor. He's usually seen looking quite dashing in interviews. Smartly dressed, clean shaven with excellent Bond hair.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I also fear Bond 25 will double down on the personal angles, as their half hearted attempt to include formula into SPECTRE didn't go well, whereas SF was very personal and met with roaring successful. I fear they will take away the wrong message, and we could see another Die Another Day type scenario, where they dramatically misjudge what the audience is asking for.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

That is a plus in his favor. He's usually seen looking quite dashing in interviews. Smartly dressed, clean shaven with excellent Bond hair.
    Yep. YepYepYep.
    Cavill has the looks, charm, right height, hair, athletic excetera, but the one thing he misses for me is his own X factor, or unique quality besides all the essentials that you need to be Bond. Aidan Turner for me has a distinctive look and personality that I could has potential for a great Bond. Just from hearing him talk being himself, I can have an idea of how he would take the role and make it his own. Cavill does not have this for me, I can only see him looking good in the suit and saying the one liners well enough, but not bringing himself into the role and leaving an impression, if that makes sense. True, you don't need extraordinary acting ability to play a role like Bond, but you do need to be able to bring your own personality into it. That is something all the previous Bonds have been able to do, to some degree.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 5,185

Yep. YepYepYep.

Sean-Connery-1280x620.jpg

"Henry Cavill for Bond? Yesh pleashe, count me in!"
    - Some random old dude on the street.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    00Agent wrote: »

Yep. YepYepYep.

Sean-Connery-1280x620.jpg
    "Henry Cavill for Bond? Yesh pleashe, count me in!"
    - Some random old dude on the street.
    +1. Yep! :))
    where they dramatically misjudge what the audience is asking for.
    The audience is asking for horse manure. The very last thing EON should care about is what the audience is asking for.
    The audience is asking for horse manure. The very last thing EON should care about is what the audience is asking for.

The audience was asking for a more realistic take in 2005, and EON delivered that to widespread acclaim.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »
    Honestly, I'm not even remotely interested in Annapurna's activities. Universal is where the action is and I trust they will continue with Bond post-B25.

I rhink it would make sense for Annapurna and MGM to merge (buy out the hedge funds that own MGM). But given how volatile Hollywood is right now, who knows?
    That's certainly one idea, but I hope it doesn't happen. I'd rather Ellison not get her hands on Bond until she's proven herself capable.

Regarding the current hedge fund owners, I hope Kevin Ulrich (CEO of majority owner Anchorage) has a plan. After all, they paid $260M to buy out Barber (after giving him a hefty $15.4M severance package) in order to keep him away from launching a bid for three years.

Three years? Guess what that means? If these clowns don't get their organizational affairs in order by then he'll be able to come back just in time for B26 to create havoc, potentially delaying the next film. So I certainly hope MGM gets acquired prior to that because I can't see them going into a better place fiscally by then (B25 will certainly help, but it won't be enough).
  • RC7RC7

The audience was asking for a more realistic take in 2005, and EON delivered that to widespread acclaim.

I don’t see the audience ‘asking’ for anything. I see a few people on here, but I’m not sure they count given they’re on a Bond forum.

In 2005 Bourne and Batman had rendered Bond’s trajectory null and void. Daniel still has mass appeal, largely because he’s a fantastic actor, and they’ve hired another intriguing director. Some people want them to ape M:I, but clearly they have no intention of doing that. Nor will they once Craig hangs up the Walter Imo. It’s going to be heavy few years for a number of you.
    As long as Henry Cavil doesn't have to grow a moustache I will go along with that as a secondary choice to Hardy. But I think the producers will still go totally leftfield like they did with Craig and go for someone none of us were expecting.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 8,159
    RC7 wrote: »

I don’t see the audience ‘asking’ for anything. I see a few people on here, but I’m not sure they count given they’re on a Bond forum.

In 2005 Bourne and Batman had rendered Bond’s trajectory null and void. Daniel still has mass appeal, largely because he’s a fantastic actor, and they’ve hired another intriguing director. Some people want them to ape M:I, but clearly they have no intention of doing that. Nor will they once Craig hangs up the Walter Imo. It’s going to be heavy few years for a number of you.

Bond has followed trends since the 60's ended. It has aped many different franchises and genres over the years. Is it any wonder they they made a gritty reboot with more realistic feel shortly after Bourne and Batman Begins came on the scene? The real question is why should EON stop doing something that they have done very successfully for several decades? Why start looking inward, when they have built a legacy on being adaptive to what audiences are responding to?

Oh, and about Craig having mass appeal, he is playing one of the most famous characters on the planet, that may have something to do with it. Let's see him have a financial success without wearing the tux and drinking martinis first, before we comment on his starpower.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    A difference between the two: Hardy can be moody and difficult to work with on a film. He also pursues quite diverse roles rather than sticking to a character. I can't imagine the producers would want him or could depend on him for more than a movie or two.

Cavill is obviously interested and tailoring roles to court being considered as Bond. Call him bland or boring, but it comes down to what the filmmakers give Bond to do. He can assist greatness where there's a great mission involved.
    I wonder when we are going to start hearing location rumors
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

The rumours have been around a long time. Don t you mean confirmed locations?

The rumours have been around a long time. Don t you mean confirmed locations?

Yes that's exactly what I meant to say
    RC7 wrote: »

Bond has followed trends since the 60's ended. It has aped many different franchises and genres over the years. Is it any wonder they they made a gritty reboot with more realistic feel shortly after Bourne and Batman Begins came on the scene? The real question is why should EON stop doing something that they have done very successfully for several decades? Why start looking inward, when they have built a legacy on being adaptive to what audiences are responding to?

Oh, and about Craig having mass appeal, he is playing one of the most famous characters on the planet, that may have something to do with it. Let's see him have a financial success without wearing the tux and drinking martinis first, before we comment on his starpower.
    I’ve got to admit, that’s a pretty good response @Mendes4Lyfe. Though I’d argue that the aping of genres didn’t properly start until TMWTGG and latterly MR. I’ve always maintained that LALD was ahead of the curve when it was decided back in ‘71 to adapt Fleming’s novel as their next feature, which of course featured an African American, Mr. Big, as its chief villain in Harlem along with his Afro-American goons. It was simply a case of Saltzman and Co. being in the right place at the right time with blaxploitation. TMWTGG was most definitely taking advantage of the rise in popularity in Kung-fu movies, which is why it was included, no argument there. So yes, the producers were influenced by other movies that were moving into its own territory by the start of the Eighties, but only to a small degree until LTK tried to muscle in on the popularity of Lethal Weapon and Die Hard. I also agree that Bourne and Nolan’s Batman series had a direct influence on the Craig Bonds, so you’re not wrong in your analysis.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    You Only Live Twice took on martial arts movies in the 60s as well. On Her Majesty's Secret Service took on some psychedelic Cold War brainwashing (from Fleming). Dr. No, Fleming and film, mined Fu Manchu.
    The real question is why should EON stop doing something that they have done very successfully for several decades? Why start looking inward, when they have built a legacy on being adaptive to what audiences are responding to?

If the point is Bond shouldn't have changed that's pretty conflicted considering the history of the franchise and examples given. No less the over the top success of the last four Bond films.

My thought: the filmmakers actually haven't stopped making Bond films after all. The formula is alive and well and stronger than ever on a track back to the Connery days. The focus on the Bond character was overdue, missing Fleming's Casino Royale story that establishes the character. That being a one-off would miss a golden opportunity for a franchise with no end in sight. And as the four films progress and build elements of the longtime film formula I hear more complaints about them. The fantastic, the humor that's supposedly desired are criticized as out of place. In these Bond films.

What exactly did EON stop doing?
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 3,333
    Whilst there’s little to no martial arts featured in YOLT, apart from the Ninja attack on the volcano, I’m not entirely sure which movie trend that you’re referring to in ‘67 that the producers were following @RichardTheBruce? Japanese movies were also a niche market that mostly played to very small audiences outside of Japan until the rise of VHS in the Eighties changed that. Also Hong Kong’s the Shaw Brothers movies weren’t anything like James Bond before YOLT came out. However, one can spot an influence afterward if one was to look hard enough.

I suppose you could claim that OHMSS owes a little of the brainwashing techniques to The Manchurian Candidate and Saltzman’s very own The Ipcress File, but it’s a push to claim that the producers were following any current big trends at the time. Same goes for Fu Manchu movies which hadn’t really been seen since the 1930’s and 40’s. Some might bring up the 50’s The Adventures of Dr. Fu Manchu short-lived television series, but it didn’t cause much of a stir. Though that’s not to say that Fleming wasn’t inspired by Sax Rohmer‘s creation for Dr. No to begin with, it’s just that the movie itself wasn’t following any current trends.
    You Only Live Twice took on martial arts movies in the 60s as well. On Her Majesty's Secret Service took on some psychedelic Cold War brainwashing (from Fleming). Dr. No, Fleming and film, mined Fu Manchu.
    The real question is why should EON stop doing something that they have done very successfully for several decades? Why start looking inward, when they have built a legacy on being adaptive to what audiences are responding to?

If the point is Bond shouldn't have changed that's pretty conflicted considering the history of the franchise and examples given. No less the over the top success of the last four Bond films.

My thought: the filmmakers actually haven't stopped making Bond films after all. The formula is alive and well and stronger than ever on a track back to the Connery days. The focus on the Bond character was overdue, missing Fleming's Casino Royale story that establishes the character. That being a one-off would miss a golden opportunity for a franchise with no end in sight. And as the four films progress and build elements of the longtime film formula I hear more complaints about them. The fantastic, the humor that's supposedly desired are criticized as out of place. In these Bond films.

What exactly did EON stop doing?

The humour in the last two films felt tacked on because it didn't correspond with the overall tone. When it comes to the story, Skyfall and Spectre have a self-seriousness about them, which makes the Moore-isms they include (like the surprised onlookers during action scenes) feel really forced because they clash with the brooding and personal story being told.

They haven't stopped doing anything, it's more the fans which have changed. Back in 2002 there was an outcry that Bourne was eating Bonds lunch, and what did EON do, they quickly fired their current actor and started on rebooting the entire franchise to fit in with this new world of action movies. And the result was one of the most heralded and beloved entries in the franchise, everyone cheering EON along, right? The trouble is nowadays there are many franchises which are essentially doing just what Bourne was doing back then, only whereas Bourne was gritty and realistic, mission impossible is fun and over the top. The difference is that this time, I don't see any outcry, or concern from any fans out there. It's like Bond should just live in its own vacuum, which is strange since there has never been a point in the last forty odd years where it has felt necessary to do that. So why now? That the Change we're talking about here, why should EON suddenly stick it's head in the sand when they have build a legacy on doing it better than anyone else? If Mission Impossible is eating Bonds lunch, since when has Bind been one to shy away from proving it is the better franchise, like countless times before? Bond have the best back catalogue, for sure, but does that really prove it is top dog in the here and now?