No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    What are some of you on about?
    Caig, bodywise looks nothing like Arnie. He just happens to be in superior better shape than previous Bond actors. Side note, unless you're either under weight, obese or lazy as hell it's not difficult at all to get a similar looking body as Craig in CR.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited July 2018 Posts: 1,756
    Sorry but having stunts done at really famous/tourist destinations is just so boring and lazy to be honest. Especially how the Eiffel Tower was used in AVTAK, it's like they tried to shove the tower in a set piece just because. It just seems like something a 9 year old would dream up.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    doubleoego wrote: »
    What are some of you on about?
    Caig, bodywise looks nothing like Arnie. He just happens to be in superior better shape than previous Bond actors. Side note, unless you're either under weight, obese or lazy as hell it's not difficult at all to get a similar looking body as Craig in CR.

Thank you!

BT3366 wrote: »
    But CR signaled a reboot, so why is it hard to accept a Bond who is in that type of shape? I don't think he looks like a bodybuilder or Stallone or Schwarzenegger, just an agent who is in really good shape.

It makes much more sense than the previous 3 actors who really didn't have any physical attributes to make you imagine they could do all the incredible physical things they did, particularly Moore.
    That´s what makes them such special agents :-).
    The thing is, even navy seals have their muscles not from tactical training, but from lifting weights. I can´t really imagine any incarnation of James Bond lifting weights with such enthusiasm. Fleming´s Bond would probably be much more interested in training methods used by people like Ido Portal or Connor McGregor. Especially McGregor could be a good template for Bond´s physical appearance, lean and animalistic.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I thought Moore was in great shape in LALD particularly.
  • RC7RC7
    boldfinger wrote: »
    BT3366 wrote: »
    But CR signaled a reboot, so why is it hard to accept a Bond who is in that type of shape? I don't think he looks like a bodybuilder or Stallone or Schwarzenegger, just an agent who is in really good shape.

It makes much more sense than the previous 3 actors who really didn't have any physical attributes to make you imagine they could do all the incredible physical things they did, particularly Moore.
    That´s what makes them such special agents :-).
    The thing is, even navy seals have their muscles not from tactical training, but from lifting weights. I can´t really imagine any incarnation of James Bond lifting weights with such enthusiasm. Fleming´s Bond would probably be much more interested in training methods used by people like Ido Portal or Connor McGregor. Especially McGregor could be a good template for Bond´s physical appearance, lean and animalistic.

Agreed. Lifting weights strikes me as anathema to Bond.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Why not just fast forward to the release date? Just saying. ;)

Nah, I'd be 49 by then, and I don't fancy that idea. But it's true, it was not until Craig made CR, that audiences noted the physical workout. Especially Sir Rog would not do any workout back in the 1970's. Why bother, if you have a stuntman stepping in for you.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    On the subject of Cruise and stunts - if the rumour is true and Bond 25 is going to have some of the story set in London, perhaps it's time for a stunt involving The London Eye Ferris wheel? I suggest this for two reasons:

1) It could look very cool. Bond fighting inside the little pods or hanging from outside! The wheel is turning and Bond clings on for dear life.

2) If MI 7 gets made, who knows, Cruise and his stunt team could use the London Eye. I'd rather Bond uses it first.

london-eye-as-seen-from.jpg

It could be featured in the opening pre-credit scene. Bond meets up with someone inside the pod. A helicopter or boat or gunmen on the street open fire and crazy stuff happens. You could create a CGI or scaled model of the wheel for some of the more outrageous action moments - explosions etc. I'm assuming the local council, Lambeth, would permit limited use of the wheel but the rest could be done with CGI or whatever the production crew can think up!

You mean like MI 5 used Blenheim Castle plus an Aston Martin parking outside?
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 11,425
    Exactly. Which is why Craig’s physical appearance is very un Bond.

I really don’t like the emphasis he puts on having this super fit bulky physical presence. Bond simply wouldn’t go there. His build makes him seem more intimidating than most of his adversaries.

On balance though he’s a much better Bond than Brosnan it doesn’t bother me too much. Wish his suits fitted sometimes though.

• RC7RC7

Nah, I'd be 49 by then, and I don't fancy that idea. But it's true, it was not until Craig made CR, that audiences noted the physical workout. Especially Sir Rog would not do any workout back in the 1970's. Why bother, if you have a stuntman stepping in for you.

Quite. He should be in shape, but they don’t need to focus on how and why. I want him to eat and drink to excess, I’m not interested in how he keeps fit (which should be a combination of swimming, climbing, running etc).
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    A long time ago on another site, someone said that it seemed as if Craig got his muscles from the gym while all the other Bonds got theirs from being in the bedroom wrestling with women. Lol makes sense.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.

roger_moore_2003_06_11.jpg
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 17,368
    RC7 wrote: »

Quite. He should be in shape, but they don’t need to focus on how and why. I want him to eat and drink to excess, I’m not interested in how he keeps fit (which should be a combination of swimming, climbing, running etc).

Completely agree on this. I'm sure it's very possible to achieve the "Craig fitness" for the everyman, as some here have mentioned, but I find Bond more Bond when he's a bit slimmer - which would suggest a workout like the ones you mention here, @RC7.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Craig's muscles were never an obstacle for me. They were shown once or twice but that's it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Toss in a healthy appetite of punching people in the face and engaging in lots of sex for good measure.
  • RC7RC7
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Toss in a healthy appetite of punching people in the face and engaging in lots of sex for good measure.

Naturally!
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Craig's muscles were never an obstacle for me. They were shown once or twice but that's it.

he gives off a bouncer/bodyguard vibe whenever he’s on screen.

None of the animal grace of Connery or suaveness of Moore.

Still, he’s a decent Bond and it gives him a different presence from the others.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Fair enough, @Getafix.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 8,021
    The thought that military, specifically special forces personnel who are muscular got that way from lifting weights and not their field training is ludicrous, and shows a complete lack of understanding the scope and physical demands of their sssignments and training. The gear they wear and carry weights 60 to 100 lbs . They hike for unbelievable distances . These are the elite who in large part earn their physiques in brutal conditions carrying out exhausting missions . Weights may play a part in their conditioning but these are not gym rat posers; to imply that is insulting to this special breed of soldier.
    Now aesthetically, some may not like Craig’s look, but his is a modern Bond and his physique is more than realistic considering the character’s background.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Getafix wrote: »
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Imo Sean never looked buff in the means of today. He was lean, with the normal mzscle build of a sportive man. Nothing overly special bodywise. Question is, if that trained, bulky body action actors need today, is necessary.

Craig has taken it too far. He looks like a bodybuilder and partly as a result of his bulk his suits don’t hang well.

Bond is not supposed to look like Arnie. Bizarre that the series went that way just when the old action stars were falling out of favour
    I can understand where you're coming from, although I also recognize and agree with the comments by others that he is not overbuilt as well. He's just fit.

Basically from my perspective the issue is his body type and basic build - height to width ratio and all that. He just doesn't give off the same suave elegance as the others in my view, even though he's not really big -it's a matter of proportions. As a counter example, Gerard Butler, who is relatively tall, was superbuilt for 300 and he looked just fine to me. The same goes for Damon when he built up for the Bourne films. He looked fine too. Again, this is just my opinion. I agree that he doesn't look elegant in his suits, particularly in the last few, but that's probably more down to cut. Now that Temime is out, perhaps some sanity will return on that front.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Lack of handsome looks?

Coming from a straight man I can tell you he’s definitely not lacking in the handsome department.

Then again I guess looks are subjective.

Handsome for an average guy, yes. James Bond level handsome, nowhere close.
    Looks are certainly subjective indeed. Craig isn't what I'd call handsome but he has a certain something to him which makes him compelling onscreen (although I feel that element was much stronger when he was younger because he was a very intense actor then). I don't really mind his looks, but for the next chap I hope they go back to the classic tall dark and handsome cinematic template.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    IMAX has released its US schedule for 2019, and Bond25 currently isn't listed.

The November slots are taken by 'Wonder Women 1984' and 'Frozen 2'.

Not word on international markets yet.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Bond's workout in From Russia, with Love by Ian Fleming:

Bond went down on his hands and did twenty slow press-ups, lingering over each one
    so that his muscles had no rest. When his arms could stand the pain no longer, he
    rolled over on his back and, with his hands at his sides, did the straight leg-lift
    until his stomach muscles screamed. He got to his feet and, after touching his
    toes twenty times, went over to arm and chest exercises combined with deep
    breathing until he was dizzy.

As you can see, he did bodyweight exercises, which include press-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, dips, etc. So he didn't limit himself with swimming and running, he also did some strength training. Albeit, without weights.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Red_Snow wrote: »

Skyfall and SPECTRE had their IMAX releases announced after the films production began so I wouldn't worry about bond 25 not appearing in IMAX yet
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited August 2018 Posts: 10,588
    Red_Snow wrote: »

Hugely disappointing news.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 8,021
    I find it very telling that for some discussing fitness and appearance equates with “gay” or “homoerotic” ; as Seinfeld would say “ not that there’s anything wrong with that”
    I’m a straight male and to me discussing an actor’s appearance is no different then discussing a director, composer, writer, locations, cars, weapons, supporting cast, and on and on. It is an element of the film. If someone perceives something else , possibly some soul searching is in order for that individual.......Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Don't give up yet @jake24 like I said bond 25 might not be scheduled for IMAX until early 2019
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    talos7 wrote: »
    I find it very telling that for some discussing fitness and appearance equates with “gay” or “homoerotic” ; as Seinfeld would say “ not that there’s anything wrong with that”
    I’m a straight male and to me discussing an actor’s appearance is no different then discussing a director, composer, writer, locations, cars, weapons, supporting cast, and on and on. It is an element of the film. If someone perceives something else , possibly some soul searching is in order for that individual.......Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
    Love the Seinfeld quote and agree. Same here and the fitness of Craig has definitely been something significant he brought to the role. There was this saying of James Bond being „the man other men wanted to be like and women wanted to be with“ (or something like that) and this surely applies to Craig‘s version of the character.

Moore had a noticably broader back in TMWTGG, and he himself said (IIRC) that he was approached by the producers to get into better shape.
    But I agree with @RC7 and @Remington about swimming, climbing, running, and bedroom wrestling ;-).

• edited August 2018 Posts: 5,767
    The thought that military, specifically special forces personnel who are muscular got that way from lifting weights and not their field training is ludicrous, and shows a complete lack of understanding the scope and physical demands of their sssignments and training. The gear they wear and carry weights 60 to 100 lbs . They hike for unbelievable distances . These are the elite who in large part earn their physiques in brutal conditions carrying out exhausting missions . Weights may play a part in their conditioning but these are not gym rat posers; to imply that is insulting to this special breed of soldier.
    Now aesthetically, some may not like Craig’s look, but his is a modern Bond and his physique is more than realistic considering the character’s background.
    I was never implying gym rat posers, but as you yourself mention, weights may play a part in their conditioning. And if their muscles come mainly from excruciating missions, that would mean that an operative with less exhausting missions would need less muscles. In my understanding of a double-oh, he doesn´t have to carry heavy equipment over long distances.
    Anyhow, how long would you estimate would such muscle mass last once the man doesn´t do this intensive kind of training any more?

Bond's workout in From Russia, with Love by Ian Fleming:

Bond went down on his hands and did twenty slow press-ups, lingering over each one
    so that his muscles had no rest. When his arms could stand the pain no longer, he
    rolled over on his back and, with his hands at his sides, did the straight leg-lift
    until his stomach muscles screamed. He got to his feet and, after touching his
    toes twenty times, went over to arm and chest exercises combined with deep
    breathing until he was dizzy.

As you can see, he did bodyweight exercises, which include press-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, dips, etc. So he didn't limit himself with swimming and running, he also did some strength training. Albeit, without weights.
    Exactly. And with bodyweight exercises you look different than with weight lifting exercises. Craig´s Bond looks more like a weight lifter than a body lifter.

SeanCraig wrote: »
    Love the Seinfeld quote and agree. Same here and the fitness of Craig has definitely been something significant he brought to the role. There was this saying of James Bond being „the man other men wanted to be like and women wanted to be with“ (or something like that) and this surely applies to Craig‘s version of the character.
    Well, apparently every woman asked who knew Connery swoons over his attraction, regardless of the size of his muscles.