No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    Yeah, he's short, blond and now he's fat... this is going to be the ugliest Bond adventure yet...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yeah, he's short, blond and now he's fat... This is going to be the ugliest Bond adventure yet... God this Daniel Craig never stops to be unimpressive!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited July 2018 Posts: 8,501
    Fake news @talos7, fake news... (lol)...

Edit: seriously, he looks great. It's obvious he's been back in the gym. He will gear up in the last twelve weeks. He will be a lean, mean fighting machine.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    We had a thread on this forum about Craig donning a beard. ;) :) :D
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    I can't help but wonder what he'd look like now, if he didn't bulk up for 'Logan Lucky'.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Sigh...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I actually think he looks in better shape now than he did as Joe Bang, @Red_Snow. He seems trimmer. And I think the closer we get to shooting, is when a more strict diet will be enforced. The booze will be minimal to none. No sugar and simple carbs. His training will be ramped... but he certainly appears as if he's in the pre-ramp stage.

(I wrote before that 70-80% of his lean look will be diet, the rest will be found in super-compensation and adaptation training, with "active" recovery days).
    :D
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    If anything, despite the many doubts cast upon B25, we won't be getting a DAF Bond in it, that's for sure.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    It's four months until shooting begins, and Craig is a very professional actor, who knows, how he can get back in shape. I wouldn't worry about it. If it were early November, then...
    If anything, despite the many doubts cast upon B25, we won't be getting a DAF Bond in it, that's for sure.
    One off the disappointments of DAF was the apathy Sean showed about reporting in shape. I watched The Great Train Robbery not long ago, which was nine years later, and he looked great . With some effort, he could have looked just about the same in DAF as he did in Thunerball.

Daniel will not replicate this; in fact I think he will shock people with good of shape he’s in

MV5BOGY0M2RkYjYtNTE4MS00YzA3LWIyNzgtYzk0Mzc4M2FmMGQ4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzk5OTkyNDE@._V1_.jpg
    We won't? But chubby Bond is funny Bond!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    talos7 wrote: »
    One off the disappointments of DAF was the apathy Sean showed about reporting in shape. I watched The Great Train Robbery not long ago, which was nine years later, and he looked great . With some effort, he could have looked just about the same in DAF as he did in Thunerball.

Daniel will not replicate this; in fact I think he will shock people with good of shape he’s in

I have to agree with you, once again. He wants to go out on a high. And, as we've both commented, it looks like he's started to take the steps to get back into fighting shape.
    He did look great again with NSNA so in his last 007 outing he went out with a kiss, kiss, bang, bang.
    Connery agreed to play Bond at the last minute for DAF, and didn't have as much time to get back into his normal Bondian shape. Regardless, I still think he looked alright in that film. Craig has plenty of time to work out the details before B25 regarding his appearance and physique. I'm quite confident he'll look great when the cameras roll.
    Last minute? Does that mean a week, two weeks, a month or more? I would think he had at least a month’s notice; a lot could have been done in that time. He also didn’t allow his brows to be tamed and his hairpiece was not top notch. As I said, with a bit of effort he could have been in Thunderball shape.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 3,333
    Last minute? Does that mean a week, two weeks, a month or more? I would think he had at least a month’s notice; a lot could have been done in that time. He also didn’t allow his brows to be tamed and his hairpiece was not top notch. As I said, with a bit of effort he could have been in Thunderball shape.
    In all honesty, I don’t think audiences gave a stuff back then. It’s only now, where millennials take to social media to bemoan and snipe at how awful an actor used to look 46 years later, that it seems to matter. I was a young kid when I first saw DAF in the cinema in ‘71 and it didn’t bother me in the slightest that he didn’t look as buff as he did in his previous Bond movies. Roger Moore was equally chubby at the time. Just take a look at Sir Roger in The Persuaders episodes. It was a time when people were less conscious of how they should look, otherwise men wouldn’t have grown their hair long, worn clothes that were known as the "anti-fashion” in an attempt at breaking down barriers. All things considered, Connery looked pretty damn good compared to most other males that you’d see on the street at the turn of that particular decade. The end of the Vietnamese War, coinciding with punk, brought about an end to this ridiculous and flamboyant look of kipper ties and flares. Though punk was only short-lived, it ushered in the narcissistic 80’s where nothing has moved on since. Today, we’re constantly told what we should eat and drink by health gurus and smoking and sugary foods are totally out. We’re also told how we should look and think. DAF is now a window into a completely different mindset and style. It just so happens that actors from that period didn’t give a toss what others thought of them, unlike today, where everybody has to conform or is fat-shamed or labeled something derogatory if they rebel.

It’s also worth remembering that the producers weren’t in a position of power to dictate to Connery how he should look. It was Saltzman that told Roger Moore that he had to lose his Persuaders flab a year before they shot LALD. His dietary regime is documented in his LALD Diary Book, including the gallstones he was carrying on the first few weeks of shooting. Connery wasn’t beholden to anyone. UA was so desperate for his return, he could dictate what style of toupee he would wear.
    Imo Sean never looked buff in the means of today. He was lean, with the normal mzscle build of a sportive man. Nothing overly special bodywise. Question is, if that trained, bulky body action actors need today, is necessary.
    The discussion when it comes to Sean has nothing to do with being “buff” , only trim and fit.;in DAF he was neither; even a 1971 audience could see that .
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Saturday i watch The Love Punch and it have atleast four Bond reference (opening, drink, Brosnan)
    Number four is that it have a Dr No style maintitle for a part of the credits.

Made by Momoco. If there ever consider no Daniel Kleiman again.

Besides that i think writer, directer and mabey some other crewmembers should be ask for Johnny English movie.
    bondsum wrote: »
    In all honesty, I don’t think audiences gave a stuff back then. It’s only now, where millennials take to social media to bemoan and snipe at how awful an actor used to look 46 years later, that it seems to matter. I was a young kid when I first saw DAF in the cinema in ‘71 and it didn’t bother me in the slightest that he didn’t look as buff as he did in his previous Bond movies. Roger Moore was equally chubby at the time. Just take a look at Sir Roger in The Persuaders episodes. It was a time when people were less conscious of how they should look, otherwise men wouldn’t have grown their hair long, worn clothes that were known as the "anti-fashion” in an attempt at breaking down barriers. All things considered, Connery looked pretty damn good compared to most other males that you’d see on the street at the turn of that particular decade. The end of the Vietnamese War, coinciding with punk, brought about an end to this ridiculous and flamboyant look of kipper ties and flares. Though punk was only short-lived, it ushered in the narcissistic 80’s where nothing has moved on since. Today, we’re constantly told what we should eat and drink by health gurus and smoking and sugary foods are totally out. We’re also told how we should look and think. DAF is now a window into a completely different mindset and style. It just so happens that actors from that period didn’t give a toss what others thought of them, unlike today, where everybody has to conform or is fat-shamed or labeled something derogatory if they rebel.

It’s also worth remembering that the producers weren’t in a position of power to dictate to Connery how he should look. It was Saltzman that told Roger Moore that he had to lose his Persuaders flab a year before they shot LALD. His dietary regime is documented in his LALD Diary Book, including the gallstones he was carrying on the first few weeks of shooting. Connery wasn’t beholden to anyone. UA was so desperate for his return, he could dictate what style of toupee he would wear.
    Well said. It was Connery's presence and charisma that audiences wanted at the time. I doubt anybody at the time compared his to Lazenby's prime physical condition in OHMSS.

Talos7 mentions even '71 audiences would notice Connery's physical condition and some likely did, but the box office returns and mostly positive critical notices would show how little if at all that actually played in.

To be fair, Connery was noticeably not as in shape as early at YOLT. There's a photo of him rehearsing for the ninja training scene with an instructor who is noticeably in better shape and he appears much older.

Really, it wasn't until Craig came in as Bond that people even thought about the shape the actor is in and even then I recall some complained Bond shouldn't look that buff.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    peter wrote: »
    I actually think he looks in better shape now than he did as Joe Bang, @Red_Snow. He seems trimmer. And I think the closer we get to shooting, is when a more strict diet will be enforced. The booze will be minimal to none. No sugar and simple carbs. His training will be ramped... but he certainly appears as if he's in the pre-ramp stage.

(I wrote before that 70-80% of his lean look will be diet, the rest will be found in super-compensation and adaptation training, with "active" recovery days).

Agreed. I get the look he was going for, and good on him for committing 100%, but I think he was just too big. Heck, I think the bulk he added on for CR has made him too chunky now days.

I think lean and muscular would be a far better look. He pulled it off when he was younger.

young-photo-of-daniel-craig-shirtless-body-1280x912.jpg
    I find it amusing, and frustrating when I read comments about how "bulked up" Craig was in CR; he definitely spent time in the gym and may have put on, at most, ten pounds or so; between getting leaner and adding a bit of muscle I would think it would be less.

As has been discussed , there is only one scene where he looks bigger, with the key word being "looks"; that of course is when he emerges from the ocean.

Now, from automobiles to clothing, fine dining, watches, cigars and a virtual endless list of other topics there are a lot of people on this site that know a lot more about a broad range of subjects than I do. Fitness is one area where I have extensive experience and qualifications. I've trained myself, and others for over 30 years and have been involved with a great deal of photographic assignments, both in front of and assisting behind the camera.

With complete certainty I can say that Daniels looking "bulked-up in the ocean scene is enhanced greatly by the framing of the shot and the lighting . If you look at him at any other point in the film he looks lean and athletic but never bulky; this includes the scenes where he first arrives at the Ocean Club. In other scenes where he is shirtless, or partially shirtless, after the stairwell fight, in bed with Vesper in Venice, he is in no way too heavy. When someone is as lean as Craig, strong lighting, as is used in the ocean and torture scenes , can make someone look far bigger and ripped than they are.

I think people would be surprised at how little his weight actually fluctuates and would be would be shocked at how thin he looked in person while filming the scenes where he looked the biggest.

Also, it is true, the camera does add weight, which is why most celebrities look much thinner in person

I took a look around YouTube and found this; the guy is a clown, and knows it , but this does illustrate what I'm talking about.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The next Bond:
    the_hulk_by_hugohugo-d4y6c6m.jpg
    The next Bond:
    the_hulk_by_hugohugo-d4y6c6m.jpg

Aidan turner does look fitter in that pic but he seems to lifeless as if he were drawn. ;)
    So has Danny Boyle finished filming his musical yet?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yes
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 4,619
    peter wrote: »
    Yes
    Great news! So is Boyle 100% focused on Bond right now and will return to his musical to finish it only after he has finished filming Bond 25 next summer? (I'm sure some people will keep working on the musical, but will Boyle devote pretty much no time to it between now and next summer?)

Also, do you have any inside information regarding crew members? Are Anthony Dod Mantle, Daniel Pemberton and editor Jon Harris safe bets?