No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    Yes, I believe recent reports are he’s moved into pre production mode on B25 (I would imagine the casting calls would be the biggest sign of this happening).

I’m not sure how he’s devoting his time, but I imagine he’d have to be bouncing from editing suite on the Beatles film, and popping back to his B25 offices.

I don’t want to seem overly negative, but I am concerned with the trend of ‘A list’ directors for Bond.

If there was ever a template best suited for proficient journeymen, Bond is it.

The world is there, the iconic character is right there. The one thing you need to spend time and money on is the script.

For Bond, the best type of director is a hired hand. I feel Mendes was a poor fit and I fear Boyle will deliver a real mixed bag.

That’s the thing - only the likes of Glen and Campbell have the humility to serve the best interests of the film itself, as opposed to ticking off some career check list and imposing their own “vision” or brand on a world that absolutely does not need it.

That’s my take anyway.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 17,293
    GetCarter wrote: »
    That’s the thing - only the likes of Glen and Campbell have the humility to serve the best interests of the film itself, as opposed to ticking off some career check list and imposing their own “vision” or brand on a world that absolutely does not need it.

That's my fear too. But, I have never seen a Boyle film before, so I can't comment on him and what he does. The Mendes films… well - let's just say they don't have the same rewatchability factor as the "journeymen efforts", IMO.
    I preferred the era when Cubby would promote from within. Peter Hunt for instance did an outstanding job on OHMSS, IMO. Certainly helped that he had edited the previous films, knew the formula, yet was able to make arguably the truest screen adaptation of a Fleming novel brought to life on the screen.

In addition, he had the task of introducing a new Bond who was a novice to the industry.
    John Glen, I feel grew as a director over the course of his five films. They are certainly five of the most watched Bonds for me.

Honestly, I prefer Hunt and Glen's work over Forster and Mendes when I'm in the mood for a Bond film.

Either way, we're still hip deep in this period where Eon prefers A list Oscar bait directors and the era where the Bonds are leisurely released on an occasional schedule.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    This thread has turned so gay! Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    Last minute? Does that mean a week, two weeks, a month or more? I would think he had at least a month’s notice; a lot could have been done in that time. He also didn’t allow his brows to be tamed and his hairpiece was not top notch. As I said, with a bit of effort he could have been in Thunderball shape.
    In all honesty, I don’t think audiences gave a stuff back then. It’s only now, where millennials take to social media to bemoan and snipe at how awful an actor used to look 46 years later, that it seems to matter. I was a young kid when I first saw DAF in the cinema in ‘71 and it didn’t bother me in the slightest that he didn’t look as buff as he did in his previous Bond movies. Roger Moore was equally chubby at the time. Just take a look at Sir Roger in The Persuaders episodes. It was a time when people were less conscious of how they should look, otherwise men wouldn’t have grown their hair long, worn clothes that were known as the "anti-fashion” in an attempt at breaking down barriers. All things considered, Connery looked pretty damn good compared to most other males that you’d see on the street at the turn of that particular decade. The end of the Vietnamese War, coinciding with punk, brought about an end to this ridiculous and flamboyant look of kipper ties and flares. Though punk was only short-lived, it ushered in the narcissistic 80’s where nothing has moved on since. Today, we’re constantly told what we should eat and drink by health gurus and smoking and sugary foods are totally out. We’re also told how we should look and think. DAF is now a window into a completely different mindset and style. It just so happens that actors from that period didn’t give a toss what others thought of them, unlike today, where everybody has to conform or is fat-shamed or labeled something derogatory if they rebel.

It’s also worth remembering that the producers weren’t in a position of power to dictate to Connery how he should look. It was Saltzman that told Roger Moore that he had to lose his Persuaders flab a year before they shot LALD. His dietary regime is documented in his LALD Diary Book, including the gallstones he was carrying on the first few weeks of shooting. Connery wasn’t beholden to anyone. UA was so desperate for his return, he could dictate what style of toupee he would wear.
    Well said. It was Connery's presence and charisma that audiences wanted at the time. I doubt anybody at the time compared his to Lazenby's prime physical condition in OHMSS.

Talos7 mentions even '71 audiences would notice Connery's physical condition and some likely did, but the box office returns and mostly positive critical notices would show how little if at all that actually played in.

To be fair, Connery was noticeably not as in shape as early at YOLT. There's a photo of him rehearsing for the ninja training scene with an instructor who is noticeably in better shape and he appears much older.

Really, it wasn't until Craig came in as Bond that people even thought about the shape the actor is in and even then I recall some complained Bond shouldn't look that buff.

Absolutely @BT3366. If one wants to be precise about Connery’s loss of physicality, he was already enjoying the excesses of his wealth by the time of YOLT, where a slightly more puffy-faced and visible paunch is there to be seen in his ninja outfit. As you point out, there might have been a small minority that noticed Connery being in less physical shape than in the early 60’s by the time of DAF, but it didn’t put off people from going to see the movie. I don’t recall anyone turning it into an issue during the 70’s even when Moore took over. Most just saw Connery as perhaps a little more bulkier, but still giving a very assured performance.

It was Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger (possibly even Christopher Reeve in the late 70’s) that started the big muscles craze in modern movies that set the benchmark for today’s audiences. Of course the 50’s movies had their musclemen actors, such as Victor Mature and Burt Lancaster to name but a few, but they had been mostly largely forgotten by younger audiences by the 70’s.
    echo wrote: »
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Competition is good for Bond, don't ya think? I reckon so. Keeps EON from getting too complacent.

Daniel Craig isn't as crazy as Tom Cruise so I don't expect him to do all of his stunt work but if the Bond producers see Fallout and are impressed with the action it might influence their direction when making Bond 25. And there's no harm if Danny Boyle sees Fallout and it gives him some ideas how to frame some of the action. I'm just going on the very positive reviews of Fallout. I've not seen it so I can't comment how cool the action is, but the word is very positive.

Cruise doesn't do half of the stunt work that's alleged. The bond company would never allow it. I'm sure he does wind tunnel work, etc.

He does do a hell of a lot more than Craig does
    If anything, despite the many doubts cast upon B25, we won't be getting a DAF Bond in it, that's for sure.

MV5BOGY0M2RkYjYtNTE4MS00YzA3LWIyNzgtYzk0Mzc4M2FmMGQ4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzk5OTkyNDE@._V1_.jpg
    We won't? But chubby Bond is funny Bond!

Yep. That was im just here for the check Connery
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I wish I could fast forward to the month of October. I’m sure by then we’ll be learning MUCH more information about the movie.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I wish I could fast forward to the month of October. I’m sure by then we’ll be learning MUCH more information about the movie.
    Nah, I love these months where rumours start to have some credibility with screentests, locations, etc. Nothing like the lead up to a new Bond film.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Nah, I love these months where rumours start to have some credibility with screentests, locations, etc. Nothing like the lead up to a new Bond film.

Yes, I do agree with that. I just have so many questions (as do others) that I can’t wait to be answered.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Why not just fast forward to the release date? Just saying. ;)
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Why not just fast forward to the release date? Just saying. ;)

*raises hand*
  • RC7RC7
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Competition is good for Bond, don't ya think? I reckon so. Keeps EON from getting too complacent.

Daniel Craig isn't as crazy as Tom Cruise so I don't expect him to do all of his stunt work but if the Bond producers see Fallout and are impressed with the action it might influence their direction when making Bond 25. And there's no harm if Danny Boyle sees Fallout and it gives him some ideas how to frame some of the action. I'm just going on the very positive reviews of Fallout. I've not seen it so I can't comment how cool the action is, but the word is very positive.

Cruise doesn't do half of the stunt work that's alleged. The bond company would never allow it. I'm sure he does wind tunnel work, etc.

He does do a hell of a lot more than Craig does

Cruise is the exception. Did Brosnan leap from Verzasca Dam, or Rog fling himself off Asgard? Connery rarely fought. This notion that Craig should be doing what Cruise is doing is silly. He’s an actor, not a stuntman.
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    If anything, despite the many doubts cast upon B25, we won't be getting a DAF Bond in it, that's for sure.

MV5BOGY0M2RkYjYtNTE4MS00YzA3LWIyNzgtYzk0Mzc4M2FmMGQ4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzk5OTkyNDE@._V1_.jpg
    We won't? But chubby Bond is funny Bond!

Yep. That was im just here for the check Connery

Wonder what type of Craig we get in Bond 25!
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 1,661
    On the subject of Cruise and stunts - if the rumour is true and Bond 25 is going to have some of the story set in London, perhaps it's time for a stunt involving The London Eye Ferris wheel? I suggest this for two reasons:

1) It could look very cool. Bond fighting inside the little pods or hanging from outside! The wheel is turning and Bond clings on for dear life.

2) If MI 7 gets made, who knows, Cruise and his stunt team could use the London Eye. I'd rather Bond uses it first.

london-eye-as-seen-from.jpg

It could be featured in the opening pre-credit scene. Bond meets up with someone inside the pod. A helicopter or boat or gunmen on the street open fire and crazy stuff happens. You could create a CGI or scaled model of the wheel for some of the more outrageous action moments - explosions etc. I'm assuming the local council, Lambeth, would permit limited use of the wheel but the rest could be done with CGI or whatever the production crew can think up!

London Eye could be interesting! Couldn't resist thinking about this when you mentioned it, though! :))
    giphy.gif
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    London Eye could be interesting! Couldn't resist thinking about this when you mentioned it, though! :))
    giphy.gif
    Incorporate it with some Charlie Chaplin music, you have a solid "gold idea." ;)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Does it seem that more is going on behind the scenes lately? We could really do with an update I. The coming months, on what Boyle and co are up to. I'm sure there will be some kind of grand unveiling at the end of the year like there was for SF and SP, where the title will finally be disclosed. hopefully something like a phrase, and not just one word again.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 17,293
    giphy.gif
    Incorporate it with some Charlie Chaplin music, you have a solid "gold idea." ;)

Yep! :))

But again, @fanbond123 has a point that London Eye could be a good location.
    Yes, the London eye offers massive potential for a set piece re fights both inside and outside the pods plus other stuff (diving from the top into the Thames would be cool).

It would have that "old school, Moonraker" feel
    I wouldn't use it until Bond #7 arrives.
    London needs a break from everything but M's orders to Bond outlining his mission at the start of the film.

Bring it back in B26 or later,for a major action scene.
    The London Eye isn't going anywhere.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Imo Sean never looked buff in the means of today. He was lean, with the normal mzscle build of a sportive man. Nothing overly special bodywise. Question is, if that trained, bulky body action actors need today, is necessary.

Craig has taken it too far. He looks like a bodybuilder and partly as a result of his bulk his suits don’t hang well.

Bond is not supposed to look like Arnie. Bizarre that the series went that way just when the old action stars were falling out of favour
    Getafix wrote: »
    Imo Sean never looked buff in the means of today. He was lean, with the normal mzscle build of a sportive man. Nothing overly special bodywise. Question is, if that trained, bulky body action actors need today, is necessary.

Craig has taken it too far. He looks like a bodybuilder and partly as a result of his bulk his suits don’t hang well.

Bond is not supposed to look like Arnie. Bizarre that the series went that way just when the old action stars were falling out of favour

I must admit when I first saw CR I was surprised to see how musclebound he was,and thinking to myself 'that's not Bond,he was never like that'.

Craig should have stayed the way he was when they introduced him on the Thames - just probably some exercise to tone-up.
    But CR signaled a reboot, so why is it hard to accept a Bond who is in that type of shape? I don't think he looks like a bodybuilder or Stallone or Schwarzenegger, just an agent who is in really good shape.

It makes much more sense than the previous 3 actors who really didn't have any physical attributes to make you imagine they could do all the incredible physical things they did, particularly Moore.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 8,087
    Getafix wrote: »

And the reason is they had to find a way to make up for Craig's lack of handsome looks, by taking focus away from the face.
    Lack of handsome looks?

Coming from a straight man I can tell you he’s definitely not lacking in the handsome department.

Then again I guess looks are subjective.
    Lack of handsome looks?

Coming from a straight man I can tell you he’s definitely not lacking in the handsome department.

Handsome for an average guy, yes. James Bond level handsome, nowhere close.
    Lack of handsome looks?

Handsome for an average guy, yes. James Bond level handsome, nowhere close.

I value your opinion, but I still beg to differ!
    Are we doing the debate from 2005 again?