No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

I don't know about you folks, but I've always felt that politics has been always handled really well in the Bond movies. They've so far done well to strike the right balance, highlighting political themes instead of pushing them in your face. On top of that they've been carful to not show any country in a negative light - not even Russia nor North Korea. I just hope they continue with this tone/mentality.

QOS was probably one of the edgiest political statements in the Bond realm and as someone who tends to lean right, I thought it was tastefully done. Actually I see it as a film which both sides are manipulated. I will add, to me, a non-Brit, SF does not scream a pro-Brexit film. I think Pierce2Daniel's comments are right on with that.
    Other highlights in that Reddit thread:

--I've heard the "big" idea is that Bond 25 will be a proper swansong for Craig and will give him a big meaty role. Supposedly, Bond will suffer from mental illness and depression.

He's James bloody Bond. By definition, isn't it a big meaty role? He's the main character! ;-)
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    JamesStock wrote: »
    I don't know about you folks, but I've always felt that politics has been always handled really well in the Bond movies. They've so far done well to strike the right balance, highlighting political themes instead of pushing them in your face. On top of that they've been carful to not show any country in a negative light - not even Russia nor North Korea. I just hope they continue with this tone/mentality.

QOS was probably one of the edgiest political statements in the Bond realm and as someone who tends to lean right, I thought it was tastefully done. Actually I see it as a film which both sides are manipulated. I will add, to me, a non-Brit, SF does not scream a pro-Brexit film. I think Pierce2Daniel's comments are right on with that.

Well said.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Skyfall is the most right wing. Or conservative. I see it as a major contributory factor towards Brexit.

Huh?
    I see it as a major contributory factor towards Brexit.
    Which is why it will always have a special place in my heart.

@PanchitoPistoles you're one of those...

Interesting interview I found of Mendes and Craig talking about Skyfall. I know Craig is liberal but I'm not too sure about Sam.

The Bond franchise is an inherently political beast. Any suggestion to the contrary is ignorant.

The films are about a British secret agent travelling the world and intervening in international diplomatic matters in the interests of Great Britain.

The 60's and 70's films were heavily influenced by the Cold War (albeit they dealt with the matters without being overly pointed) and the most recent films have leaned heavily on currently political talking points. Whether it be terrorism financing and both the Assange and Snowden scandals.

Also, I do feel that SF can be misinterpreted as a "pro-Brexit" film. I feel patriotism and nationalism have been mired together in an ugly way in 2015. In 2012, the outlook and feel in the country was very different. SF was a film that was proud to celebrate Britain whilst acknowledging it's shortcomings. Sam Mendes may not be as much of a bleeding heart liberal as Boyle, but he isn't far off.
    The Bond franchise is an inherently political beast. Any suggestion to the contrary is ignorant.

The films are about a British secret agent travelling the world and intervening in international diplomatic matters in the interests of Great Britain.

The 60's and 70's films were heavily influenced by the Cold War (albeit they dealt with the matters without being overly pointed) and the most recent films have leaned heavily on currently political talking points. Whether it be terrorism financing and both the Assange and Snowden scandals.

Also, I do feel that SF can be misinterpreted as a "pro-Brexit" film. I feel patriotism and nationalism have been mired together in an ugly way in 2015. In 2012, the outlook and feel in the country was very different. SF was a film that was proud to celebrate Britain whilst acknowledging it's shortcomings. Sam Mendes may not be as much of a bleeding heart liberal as Boyle, but he isn't far off.

Good post. I totally agree that Bond is inherently political. Spot on. You just have to think a little harder with Bond to understand the subtext. It's actually much more telling about the changing political context than many other more overtly political films.

I'm always for decentralisation.

Interesting interview I found of Mendes and Craig talking about Skyfall. I know Craig is liberal but I'm not too sure about Sam.

Wouldn't be surprised if Sam was a Tory.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Of course Bond has the politics of the time happening in his films, sometimes subtly sometimes more obvious. It is part of his world, so yes.

I love Skyfall still and found it patriotic and actually never associated it with Brexit. But we all see what we want to in films, basically. Human nature.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Early on the franchise was smart to skirt politics, with SPECTRE replacing SMERSH and villains playing East and West against each other. Yes it was the Cold War, but the Soviets weren't the villains. That's the Bond film formula. Modern approaches like that should continue. Nothing too specific to politics and especially not as a major part of the plot.

Yes, patriotic is a better descriptor for Skyfall than Conservative. And Quantum of Solace kind of roasted liberal ethos I thought, especially with the Greene Planet dinner party.

The important part is that Bond and M are at odds with the bureaucrats, whatever they may be.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I wonder when we’ll get our next bit of official information. I’d imagine we’d be hearing some solid casting information toward the end of Summer.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I wonder when we’ll get our next bit of official information. I’d imagine we’d be hearing some solid casting information toward the end of Summer.

More likely we won't get anything official official until November 30th which I'm predicting the press event revealing the title and cast will be but we will definitely get loads of cast and crew leaks and locations
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

More likely we won't get anything official official until November 30th which I'm predicting the press event revealing the title and cast will be but we will definitely get loads of cast and crew leaks and locations

I agree: expect to know some cast members by October.
  • Red_Snow wrote: »
    MGM Credit Ratings Downgraded By Moody’s Due To Film And TV Spending
    https://deadline.com/2018/06/mgm-ratings-downgrade-moodys-film-tv-spending-1202409584/

For a little perspective:
    --MGM was two levels into "junk bond" status (technical name: non-investment grade debt) before this latest downgrade. It's now three levels into junk.
    --Essentially, Moody's is saying MGM is a bit more risky now than it was under Gary Barber. I read the Moody's release. It also says it's unlikely MGM will up be upgraded through 2019.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    edited June 2018 Posts: 2,630
    https://omegaunderground.com/2018/06/14/bond-25-adds-skyfall-spectre-art-director-and-rhythm-section-stunt-coordinator/?amp#click=https://t.co/0KCnJDozuV

Interesting. According to this article, Olivier Schneider is B25’s supervising stunt coordinator and Neal Callow will be B25’s art director
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    https://omegaunderground.com/2018/06/14/bond-25-adds-skyfall-spectre-art-director-and-rhythm-section-stunt-coordinator/?amp#click=https://t.co/0KCnJDozuV

Interesting. According to this article, Olivier Schneider is B25’s supervising stunt coordinator and neal Callow will be B25’s art director

Callow confirmed it himself: https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/james-bond-museum-austria/index.html
    and Neal Callow will be B25’s art director

One of B25’s art directors. Spectre had 6.
  • MGM paying Gary Barber $260 million for his shares and stock options, essentially to make him go away.

https://deadline.com/2018/06/mgm-gary-barber-settlement-agreement-1202408686/

In return, Barber agrees to "not engage" with MGM for three years. In other words, he won't launch a takeover bid. Reuters reported last month that Barber was looking into making a bid.

Not much effect on Bond 25. It basically averts a potential sideshow (a would-be Barber bid) while MGM and Eon get Bond 25 up to speed.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    MGM paying Gary Barber $260 million for his shares and stock options, essentially to make him go away.

https://deadline.com/2018/06/mgm-gary-barber-settlement-agreement-1202408686/

In return, Barber agrees to "not engage" with MGM for three years. In other words, he won't launch a takeover bid. Reuters reported last month that Barber was looking into making a bid.

Not much effect on Bond 25. It basically averts a potential sideshow (a would-be Barber bid) while MGM and Eon get Bond 25 up to speed.
    Extraordinary. That's more than the eventual budget of the film! No wonder their credit rating was reduced. This is hardly a most productive use of cash and line of credit.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited June 2018 Posts: 7,969
    He obviously coulda thrown a serious spanner in the works, if they are prepared to do that just to keep him happy for 3 years. Maybe he's the next Kevin McClory?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    He obviously coulda thrown a serious spanner in the works, if they are prepared to do that just to keep him happy for 3 years. Maybe he's the next Kevin McClory?

I sincerely hope not. McClory was only ever in it for the money. He had not real interest in Bond, only what he could get out of it.
    Sending Fleming to an early grave and being a thorn in EON's side for decades.
    I'd hope those days are over.

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Benny wrote: »

I sincerely hope not. McClory was only ever in it for the money. He had not real interest in Bond, only what he could get out of it.

Nope. I'm the new McClory. Sorry.

Nope. I'm the new McClory. Sorry.

Jeez we do not need another fiasco plaguing my beloved franchise yet again!!!
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    James Bond should always be a white male. Period end of story. I know there are some SJWs that would love Bond to be female

White? Why in the world should that be a criterium? Non-female yes. James Bond is a man and if anyone disagrees they are simply talking about a different franchise.

I hope they leave real world politics out. Of course they can select themes or case studies from (recent) history but I think the general public is so exhausted of everything being politicized, it wouldn't be a smart decision business-wise to include it. Besides the main source of evil always turns out to be an individual, in every installment. I think it adds nuance, same way it does for individuals in WWII movies, and it's a lot easier to accept for the viewer.

As a foreigner, I always like the British patriotism inherent in the franchise; it's part of the James Bond DNA. But I do not understand those who want Bond to make an obvious political statement in that regard. Nationalism is completely fine as long as the rhetorics aren't as serious or militant as they have been in the real world the past few years. There should always be room for self-deprecating humor, which in my opinion is also part of Bond's DNA, and it's what adds charm and universal appeal.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 613

You act like it was entirely McClory's fault. You've conveniently left out the part where Fleming took material from screenplays co-written by two people he never had any intention of crediting. He arrogantly tried to cut them out of their share, and he paid the price for it.

I mean, really, what would you have done in McClory's shoes?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Escalus5 wrote: »

You act like it was entirely McClory's fault. You've conveniently left out the part where Fleming took material from screenplays co-written by two people he never had any intention of crediting. He arrogantly tried to cut them out of their share, and he paid the price for it.

This is spot on. The cause was Fleming's initial misappropriation. The effect was McClory being a thorn in Fleming's--and eventually Eon's--side.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    If you walk into a thornbush, can you blame the bush?
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 5,767
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    James Bond should always be a white male. Period end of story. I know there are some SJWs that would love Bond to be female

White? Why in the world should that be a criterium?
    Because everything else would feel like an awkward political statement.

Escalus5 wrote: »

Taken a huge sum of money from Fleming and left the franchise alone, acknowledging that I´m neither a film producer nor a mob boss powerful enough to take up a fight against Eon.

boldfinger wrote: »
    Taken a huge sum of money from Fleming and left the franchise alone, acknowledging that I´m neither a film producer nor a mob boss powerful enough to take up a fight against Eon.

And not exercised your right to produce a remake ten years later?

Bullsh*t.

In any case, it turns out that McClory was powerful enough to fight EON: By working with a relentless business partner (Jack Schwartzman), he managed to get Connery back and NSNA into theaters. There's nothing the fans can do to change that, despite their bleatings that the movie be stricken from existence.